Oil Pulling

Oil Pulling

4.4

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Oil pulling has been rattling around in the back of my mind for a few years, meaning I've known about it and the fact that people do it. I happened upon an article about it and thought -"well, this sounds totally disgusting. I'm in."
I don't do anything for twenty minutes, and had no intention of making this the exception. The first time I tried it I was actually surprised at how pleasant straight coconut oil tastes. Kind of creamy and clean. However, I had to really tough out a full five minutes. After spitting it out, I was amazed at how clean my teeth and mouth felt. I've continued to make it part of my daily routine now for several months, and, while I haven't had that "Whoa" feeling of the first pull, I continue to feel that it contributes to the overal health and appearance of my teeth and gums. And, surprisingly, I often do it for 20 minutes with ease. Not every day, but just as often as not. My teeth are definitely whiter and my mouth feels fresher. I've also found that it does indeed make me feel better when I'm over-tired or feeling hungover.

I stumbled upon the oil pulling method by accident. I read about it and while there are some extreme claims about its benefits and plenty of people who claim there is a lack of substantial research or it didn't work for them there were also a lot of positive anecdotal accounts. I had gone without dental insurance for a while and despite diligence at home had developed some signs of gum disease. I also got a stern talk from the dentist when I did go. Started oil pulling and returned to the dentist six months later and she was impressed. My gums do not bleed and are nice and pink and healthy. It is not a cure all but has definitely helped me in this way. I use sunflower oil because it is most pleasant for me but I do think I might get even more benefits by trying coconut oil. I have noticed some teeth whitening but hard for me to tell. Nothing dramatic. As far as any other effects I do think it has helped with an occasional hangover so maybe it does at least something as far as removing "toxins" aka crap from the body but no I don't think this is a cure all like some. Bottom line worth a try especially for gum health.

To Read all 20 Reviews, Login or Join

on 3/21/2016 5:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I have been oil pulling everyday for a little over 3 weeks and so far I'm not overly impressed. I was really hoping this would help whiten my teeth because they have been looking more and more dingy and yellow as I've gotten older. Whitening toothpastes that used to give me very white teeth do not work anymore and I'm not sure why. When I was younger I used to drink endless amounts of coffee and smoked, and I still had white teeth! Now, I don't drink coffee or smoke, but my teeth look worse. Maybe it's just the natural part of aging, but I'm only 35! I don't want to settle for yellow teeth. I don't want to do whitening strips because I've tried them in the past and they give me really bad sensitivity issues. Anyways, I am moving more towards natural and holistic methods in my life so oil pulling sounded right up my alley, especially with all the supposed health benefits. I've noticed more negatives than positives. I was extremely congested for 2 weeks after starting oil pulling, which I guess is a detox symptom. I got pretty sick and my nose was dripping everywhere. Sometimes I feel like maybe my teeth have gotten a little whiter, sometimes I'm not so sure. I think I wanted to feel a little more certain about the whitening effects, but that hasn't been the case. I think whatever little whitening effect it has, it is temporary and doesn't even last a full day. I plan on trying to remineralize my teeth and hopefully that will help. I will continue oil pulling and hope to see some health benefits. I have been using coconut oil from Trader Joe's.

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I have been oil pulling for two weeks now. The first time I used extra virgin olive oil, but after switching to coconut oil would be hard pressed to go back to EVOO - it is MUCH more pleasant with coconut! If I have time, I floss and brush beforehand. I take a teaspoon of coconut oil and gently swish it around in my mouth for 15-20 minutes. If I feel my mouth is getting too full, I will either spit a bit out or spit it all out and begin again with fresh oil for the remaining time. I rinse with warm water, and brush as usual. I have been oil pulling once a day. My teeth feel cleaner and are noticeably whiter. I believe my body is still in the "detoxing/purging" phase, as I have faced more acne than usual since starting, but hoping this will calm down soon. I'm thinking a clay masque might help speed this process along!

on 1/29/2016 10:47:00 AM

Using coconut oil for oil pulling made my teeth whiter and they even feel like I just had them cleaned at the dentist. The whitening effect isn't necessarily instantaneous, but after just a couple times I saw a difference. I've read of different health benefits of it, but I've only experienced: less plaque on the teeth, and a whitening effect on the teeth, which makes it pretty awesome!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

I've been using organic unrefined raw coconut oil to oil pull for a month now. I use 1 tablespoon every morning and swish it for 20 minutes, spit it out, rinse my mouth with warm salty water, then brush as normal. If my jaw starts to ache it means I'm doing it too vigorously, I just use my tongue to push the oil around in my mouth and pull it through my teeth most of the time.

First off - the texture doesn't bother me. I just put the coconut oil in my mouth and chew it until it melts, then I start swishing it. After the first time, my teeth felt so clean, and my mouth felt really fresh. I've noticed that my breath is fresher, the clean mouth feeling lasts longer than mouthwash, my teeth got noticeably whiter in the first week (then stayed that way - so it's more a thorough cleaning, than a bleaching effect.) I had to blow my nose every time I OP'd in the beginning, but my headaches stopped, I sleep well, my craving for chocolate is reduced, I'm drinking a lot of water when I can't normally stomach plain water, my lips are softer and not chapping, my skin looks healthier and I haven't had a pimple in 3 weeks... the list goes on, and OP'ing is the only thing I have introduced to my routine. The only negative I've noticed is that when I spit it out I always gag - it feels like the oil is coating the back of my mouth and nose, if that makes sense.

On a side note - I think this cures hangovers :) I had a killer hangover on Sunday: couldn't eat, couldn't stomach the smell of my shampoo or soap, horrible headache, felt shaky all over and my eyes were bloodshot and watery. I normally don't drink because hangovers (for me) last a week, but after I did my oil pulling I felt fine. Every hangover symptom I had was gone, except the bloodshot eyes - and they cleared up within an hour.

Overall, I'm addicted to oil pulling - if I had the time I'd do it morning and night!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I've only tried it 3x so far. Yesterday twice, today once. The first thing I noticed is that my teeth felt cleaner after brushing them. Very slight whitening as well. I used virgin coconut oil and did it 20 mins each pull. The taste and texture were ok. I will update later

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I tried this once with the Trader Joe's coconut oil for 20 minutes. I was incredibly skeptical after reading about it online, but I figured I had 20 minutes to spare and it couldn't hurt. I wasn't hoping for it to improve my overall well-being and remove toxins however the possible whitening effects sounded good. Unfortunately, I didn't notice any whitening effect and the experience while not gag-inducing was not particularly pleasant so I didn't repeat.

Overall, I tried it once and it didn't work for me. I'm not sure if doing it more regularly would have led to benefits but I'm not convinced enough to pursue this further.

on 3/21/2015 8:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Medium

I'd heard about oil pulling online for awhile, but it sounded kinda gross and since I have a pretty active gag reflex, I was dubious that I could do it. But the reviews here on MA made me take a second look: hey, it's not just the yoga crowd that does this! So, as I have sensitive teeth that I can't use whiteners on (other than toothpaste, which doesn't work so well) and have stains from long-term coffee and tea consumption (what can you do??), I thought that I would give it a whirl.

Not sure where I read this, but one suggestion was to premelt the coconut oil before putting it in your mouth. That sounded good, since just the thought of putting solid coconut oil in my mouth made me gag! So I put 1/2 Tbsp in a tiny jar and set it in hot water for a minute, it melts nicely and I just pop it in my mouth. I set a timer for 20 min and carry around a "spittoon" just in case the gagginess overcomes me. (You aren't supposed to spit this into the sink, it can clog it up.) I've managed to do this 9 days out of 13 days, only once (first day) I made it only to 18 minutes.

One of the pretty immediate results has been my mouth tasting less sour. I do the 5:2 diet, which involves two days a week of <500 calories; often on those days, my mouth can taste a little icky, this has helped.

The first couple of days, I couldn't wait to brush my teeth and get the oily feeling out of my mouth; now it doesn't bother me. Although one thing I've done that helps with any goopy after-feeling is a nice cup of hot strong mint tea afterwards! Oh, another tip: you won't be able to talk when it's in your mouth, don't bother answering the phone (I tried, and made weird grunting noises; fortunately, my son figured it out and didn't think I was dying!).

It hasn't been long enough for a real judgment of the result. My skin rash has improved, but it's too early to give oil pulling the credit. I have a dental checkup in May, will let y'all know if the dentist notices anything.

on 3/8/2015 6:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This is great! I started oil pulling on Thursday (it is now Sunday) and I have already seen some improvements! I am embarrassed to say but I have always had bad breath and no matter how vigorously I brush my teeth, the smell would stay and I would be so embarrassed to talk to anyone just in case they could smell my breath and I would always cough up these white balls (sorry guys - TMI - I know!). I started on Thursday night and thought this wouldn't work. I used organic, cold pressed, raw, unrefined coconut oil. I use about a tablespoon of it and I swish around my mouth for 20 minutes, afterwards; I brush my teeth with baking soda and floss like normal. I noticed afterwards immediately that I couldn't taste my breath (I can ALWAYS taste the bad smell of my breath, like always) and I was shocked. I do this once a day, I would love to do this twice a day but I don't think it can fit around my schedule! Definitely would recommend if you have bad breath! I would love it to get rid of my plague - also! Will keep you guys updated!