Oil Pulling

Oil Pulling

4.5

on 11/23/2017 9:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have been oil pulling with extra virgin cold pressed organic coconut oil, atleast once a day for 20 minutes in the morning, sometimes I ALSO do it at night, but it's usually more difficult to do it at night because you have to do it 4 hours after you eat, aka on an empty stomach. But I mainly do it once a morning, everyday.
And I have to say, the results are amazing!!!!
The most noticeable results I have got:
1, Helps ease PMS symptoms, I tend to get moody a week before my period, and I get more emotional, so normally 7 days before my period, i always notice that my emotions are on a roller-coaster but when I oil pull, I don't even realize that it's that time. That has been awesome!!!! My mood is much more tamed around that time, i barely feel an emotional difference.
2. I noticed that I sleep a lot better, i tend to toss and turn some nights, and wake up through out the night to use the bathroom; even when i am tired, but now, when i am tired, as soon as i lay down, i fall asleep and stay asleep. This has made me more energized in the mornings, I assume because my sleep is not interrupted and I am KNOCKKEEEDDD out. Perhaps this goes in hand with being in a better mood in general.
3. I feel more mental clarity and focus, which once again, could go in hand with me sleeping better? but regardless, it has been awesome!!
4. My oral health is much better, morning breathe is no more, obviously my breathe doesn't smell like roses and mint julep, but it doesn't have that nasty morning taste, and through out the day even after eating, my breathe remains pretty clean. My teeth and gums are healthier, my teeth look a little whiter, nothing too noticeable though, whereas some people claim their teeth become pearly white. And my teeth and mouthh feel soo much cleaner in general, almost like how it feels when you leave the dentist.
5. My favorite result is my skin has CLEARED UP, and it is less oily. Usually through out the day, my skin will get oily and really shiny, or when i wake up, my skin is oily and shiny. Now it's not, it's not completely matte, it has more of a healthy glow, than an oily look. Also, I am not breaking out anymore. I had moderate acne, so my skin would get clear, but at some point it would break out again. (I won't waste my time going into details) just know that, now it is clear, I do not break out randomly anymore, I DO get a breakout if I eat too much dairy, but besides that, it has cleared up. Now all that is left, is the hyper pigmentation, but that will fade with time. And yes, this is the only difference in routine I have done.

I can't wait to see how this will be 6 months or a year in, it has only been a month and a half, and I did notice these results, a few days in, within about 4 days I noticed the differences.

The price is definitely worth it, the coconut oil i buy is around 12-15 dollars, and i use a jar of it for about a month. So, 15 dollars for these results a month is fabulous.
The packaging..it's coconut oil, who cares. lol
Some people react differently, some people break out more, and I will say usually when i put coconut oil ON my skin, it clogs my pores, as most people know. And on the other hand, some peoples skin thrive on coconut oil.
So everyone is different is my POINT.
But try it, and see how it works for you. I did not have a "purging" or adverse effects FIRST,and then they got better. It immediately started positive. Do your research, and good luck. :)

on 9/22/2017 11:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I've oil pulled using a few oils, and found coconut oil to be the most palatable one. I've tried sweet almond oil (don't try, the oil taste is horrible) and sunflower oil (better and lighter, but still has an oily taste). Coconut oil is easiest to oil pull with I feel. The oily taste is minimal and doesn't continue for the whole session.

One of the issues that I've had with using coconut oil is that I have to microwave and melt the oil in the big bottle before every use, which is a hassle, especially when all I need is one tablespoonful. So what I did was to melt the oil and then pour it into the ice cube tray and place that into the fridge to harden. Once hard, I pop the cubes out and put them in a Ziplock bag, and stored the bag in the fridge. Whenever I need one, I just get it from the bag and chew it until it melts. Solves the problem of having to heat up the whole bottle each time.

I've noticed my teeth becoming a little whiter, and it helped the sore in my mouth heal much faster. Hopefully I'll see the results that others have posted as well!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Oil pulling has been rattling around in the back of my mind for a few years, meaning I've known about it and the fact that people do it. I happened upon an article about it and thought -"well, this sounds totally disgusting. I'm in."
I don't do anything for twenty minutes, and had no intention of making this the exception. The first time I tried it I was actually surprised at how pleasant straight coconut oil tastes. Kind of creamy and clean. However, I had to really tough out a full five minutes. After spitting it out, I was amazed at how clean my teeth and mouth felt. I've continued to make it part of my daily routine now for several months, and, while I haven't had that "Whoa" feeling of the first pull, I continue to feel that it contributes to the overal health and appearance of my teeth and gums. And, surprisingly, I often do it for 20 minutes with ease. Not every day, but just as often as not. My teeth are definitely whiter and my mouth feels fresher. I've also found that it does indeed make me feel better when I'm over-tired or feeling hungover.

on 3/21/2016 5:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I have been oil pulling everyday for a little over 3 weeks and so far I'm not overly impressed. I was really hoping this would help whiten my teeth because they have been looking more and more dingy and yellow as I've gotten older. Whitening toothpastes that used to give me very white teeth do not work anymore and I'm not sure why. When I was younger I used to drink endless amounts of coffee and smoked, and I still had white teeth! Now, I don't drink coffee or smoke, but my teeth look worse. Maybe it's just the natural part of aging, but I'm only 35! I don't want to settle for yellow teeth. I don't want to do whitening strips because I've tried them in the past and they give me really bad sensitivity issues. Anyways, I am moving more towards natural and holistic methods in my life so oil pulling sounded right up my alley, especially with all the supposed health benefits. I've noticed more negatives than positives. I was extremely congested for 2 weeks after starting oil pulling, which I guess is a detox symptom. I got pretty sick and my nose was dripping everywhere. Sometimes I feel like maybe my teeth have gotten a little whiter, sometimes I'm not so sure. I think I wanted to feel a little more certain about the whitening effects, but that hasn't been the case. I think whatever little whitening effect it has, it is temporary and doesn't even last a full day. I plan on trying to remineralize my teeth and hopefully that will help. I will continue oil pulling and hope to see some health benefits. I have been using coconut oil from Trader Joe's.

I stumbled upon the oil pulling method by accident. I read about it and while there are some extreme claims about its benefits and plenty of people who claim there is a lack of substantial research or it didn't work for them there were also a lot of positive anecdotal accounts. I had gone without dental insurance for a while and despite diligence at home had developed some signs of gum disease. I also got a stern talk from the dentist when I did go. Started oil pulling and returned to the dentist six months later and she was impressed. My gums do not bleed and are nice and pink and healthy. It is not a cure all but has definitely helped me in this way. I use sunflower oil because it is most pleasant for me but I do think I might get even more benefits by trying coconut oil. I have noticed some teeth whitening but hard for me to tell. Nothing dramatic. As far as any other effects I do think it has helped with an occasional hangover so maybe it does at least something as far as removing "toxins" aka crap from the body but no I don't think this is a cure all like some. Bottom line worth a try especially for gum health.

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I have been oil pulling for two weeks now. The first time I used extra virgin olive oil, but after switching to coconut oil would be hard pressed to go back to EVOO - it is MUCH more pleasant with coconut! If I have time, I floss and brush beforehand. I take a teaspoon of coconut oil and gently swish it around in my mouth for 15-20 minutes. If I feel my mouth is getting too full, I will either spit a bit out or spit it all out and begin again with fresh oil for the remaining time. I rinse with warm water, and brush as usual. I have been oil pulling once a day. My teeth feel cleaner and are noticeably whiter. I believe my body is still in the "detoxing/purging" phase, as I have faced more acne than usual since starting, but hoping this will calm down soon. I'm thinking a clay masque might help speed this process along!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

I've been using organic unrefined raw coconut oil to oil pull for a month now. I use 1 tablespoon every morning and swish it for 20 minutes, spit it out, rinse my mouth with warm salty water, then brush as normal. If my jaw starts to ache it means I'm doing it too vigorously, I just use my tongue to push the oil around in my mouth and pull it through my teeth most of the time.

First off - the texture doesn't bother me. I just put the coconut oil in my mouth and chew it until it melts, then I start swishing it. After the first time, my teeth felt so clean, and my mouth felt really fresh. I've noticed that my breath is fresher, the clean mouth feeling lasts longer than mouthwash, my teeth got noticeably whiter in the first week (then stayed that way - so it's more a thorough cleaning, than a bleaching effect.) I had to blow my nose every time I OP'd in the beginning, but my headaches stopped, I sleep well, my craving for chocolate is reduced, I'm drinking a lot of water when I can't normally stomach plain water, my lips are softer and not chapping, my skin looks healthier and I haven't had a pimple in 3 weeks... the list goes on, and OP'ing is the only thing I have introduced to my routine. The only negative I've noticed is that when I spit it out I always gag - it feels like the oil is coating the back of my mouth and nose, if that makes sense.

On a side note - I think this cures hangovers :) I had a killer hangover on Sunday: couldn't eat, couldn't stomach the smell of my shampoo or soap, horrible headache, felt shaky all over and my eyes were bloodshot and watery. I normally don't drink because hangovers (for me) last a week, but after I did my oil pulling I felt fine. Every hangover symptom I had was gone, except the bloodshot eyes - and they cleared up within an hour.

Overall, I'm addicted to oil pulling - if I had the time I'd do it morning and night!

on 1/29/2016 10:47:00 AM

Using coconut oil for oil pulling made my teeth whiter and they even feel like I just had them cleaned at the dentist. The whitening effect isn't necessarily instantaneous, but after just a couple times I saw a difference. I've read of different health benefits of it, but I've only experienced: less plaque on the teeth, and a whitening effect on the teeth, which makes it pretty awesome!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I tried this once with the Trader Joe's coconut oil for 20 minutes. I was incredibly skeptical after reading about it online, but I figured I had 20 minutes to spare and it couldn't hurt. I wasn't hoping for it to improve my overall well-being and remove toxins however the possible whitening effects sounded good. Unfortunately, I didn't notice any whitening effect and the experience while not gag-inducing was not particularly pleasant so I didn't repeat.

Overall, I tried it once and it didn't work for me. I'm not sure if doing it more regularly would have led to benefits but I'm not convinced enough to pursue this further.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I've only tried it 3x so far. Yesterday twice, today once. The first thing I noticed is that my teeth felt cleaner after brushing them. Very slight whitening as well. I used virgin coconut oil and did it 20 mins each pull. The taste and texture were ok. I will update later