Favorite oilEnter TitleEnter Title

4.2

rose (usually rose moschata or rosa rubiginosa) hip seed oil

on 8/7/2017 8:04:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

My experience with rosehip oil is through The Ordinary's 100% Cold-Pressed Organic Rosehip Seed Oil. And based off my experience, it is AMAZING. The first facial oil that I ever used on my face was Bio-Oil years and years ago, and that totally wrecked havoc on my face. Since then, I was afraid to try any oils on my face. After seeing the popularity of face oils grow and seeing tons of reviews on so many different face oils, I decided to cave in because *why not*... rosehip oil totally changed my mind.

I'm naturally acne prone in general and lately hormonal acne has been my battle (thanks for that, current birth control). Out of all the stuff I've tried in attempting to relieve the hormonal acne, rosehip oil has done the biggest job. Not only have I completely replaced my moisturiser for this oil (mainly at night... I don't like using oils during the day if I'm wearing makeup on top), it has also reduced the amount of spots I'd normally get if I wasn't using rosehip oil AND reduced the number of days it takes for my spots to heal. I also see a noticeable reduction in my hyperpigmentation. By all means, it hasn't faded all of it but it has definitely reduced it. I know rosehip oil isn't for everyone and I know it won't work for some people, but give it a fair go if you've never tried t before and you're curious! I think most skin types can enjoy this and it may possibly work well for you if you have acne and/or acne scarring!

on 7/13/2017 10:57:00 PM

I picked this up on a whim from a health food store for $6, and it has been wonderful. I put it on my face after bha and before vitamin c or a retinoid; it moisturizes, seems to speed healing, and sinks in quickly. I also use it in my hair, which loves it. My skin is ridiculously sensitive and will break out into hives/acne if it doesn't like something, but this hasn't caused a single problem. One thing, though - this has a distinctive, odd smell that I can only describe as "old noodles." Still very much worth it, but if you're sensitive to smells you may not love the slightly stale, organic odor.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I only tried the ordinary rosehip oil so far so good,mostly I use this as moisturizer right after exfoliating or deep cleansing that leaves my skin little bit more dry , I wake up with plumped glowing skin, it also gradually fades any dark spots on my face , which is not expected from an oil to do !!! But this one actually does .. will continue to use this .

on 7/6/2017 3:06:00 PM

I have combo skin which tends to have breakouts and this oil is a miracle!
I have tried other oils and no other was that effective. It makes my skin calm and smooth, does not cause breakouts. Repurchased this cold pressed oil maybe for 4 times now and I will keep repurchasing.

on 5/1/2017 11:57:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I used it on my whole face and it broke me out, it gave me like 5 pimples, and I only get like 1-2 during my period, and these are not during my period, it clogged my pores and my skin feels rough.After a while I started using it just on the pimples that were healing and it made them disappear faster,I am going to use it, but only on the pimples.

Make my nose full of blackhead and gave me some cystic acne. Will not use it again. not worth time and money. Such a nonsense hype. Oh, and whenever I use it on my lips, it will peel my lips off like crazy. GAAAAAH.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I loooove Rosehip seed oil, my savior in acne-prone hyper pigmented skin.
I would avoid any oils like the plague on my skin because prior to beckon a student esti, I thought; oil = bad. I was very very wrong.

I bought my Rosehip oil from Mountain Rose Herbs for $15 for 4oz which is 10x better price than that super popular Rosehip oil.

I always use it after cleansing or doing a clay mask, or when I do a light enzyme, I saturate my face with rose water and my toner and then I take 2-3 drops and pat all over my face and neck while it's still wet from the toner.
Since using Rosehip oil at night and using a PH balanced cleanser, I no longer wake up with horribly oily skin and it's more balanced.

Plus, this helps to lighten up my hyper pigmentation along with enzyme peels.
I would recommend keeping it in a dark glass bottle in the fridge away from heat as it is a very delicate oil and can get rancid very easily.

It's a great facial oil, I wouldn't recommend using it alone as it's not super moisturizing, I would use it under a moisturizer.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Rosehip oil was, for me, a good no-nonsense moisturizer. I used it both morning and night after cleansing and serums. I find that it works best on skin that is damp. I used about a nickel size amount all over my face, neck, and chest. With the remnants, I would use on dry elbows, lips, ears or anywhere else that needed a bit of moisture.

The average rating is because while this moisturized my skin, I don't think it helped with texture, acne, redness, nor with scarring. At best, it softened my skin a bit.

This oil does sink in relatively quickly and wears very well under makeup. It makes dry patches slightly less apparent under foundation, but grapeseed oil and mineral oil work much better. Additionally, I have extremely sensitive and reactive skin and this did not irritate my skin at all.

I think there are much better oils on the market, but this one is a solid choice for the price point.

I feel bummed that I'm in the minority that this oil doesn't work for me. I tried 2 different brands in order to give Rosehip Seed oil a fair chance on my skin, with the second brand called Life-Flo which I got from a local health food store, being the worst offender of the two.
The first bottle was a gift sent to me by my sister and it came straight from Israel and had a beautiful, true rose fragrance but was also packed with a bunch of filler ingredients (such as the addition of fragrance to give it that true rose scent) making it not true rosehip seed oil imo.
The first bottle did not break me out nearly as bad as the Life-Flo brand did and it gave me a beautiful glow and sunk right in, unlike the first brand. But I got tiny whiteheads all over and they became very red and inflamed but went away quickly after discontinuing use.
But then I stupidly thought it was the filler ingredients that may have been causing the mild breakout so I went to the health food store and looked at all the options they had for rosehip seed oil and settled on the brand Life-Flo for no particular reason other than wanting to try out rosehip seed oil without any fillers in it to give it a fair shot.
Well, what a big mistake this decision was. Within 2 days of using this new bottle of rosehip seed oil, I started breaking out and not in tiny little whiteheads like the first bottle. Oh no, they were big giant deep ones that were very red and very angry looking. The worst part of the breakout from this oil was mostly on my neck and when I breakout on my neck the blemishes tend to be bigger and redder and take ages to heal and even longer for the redness to go away so needless to say for me, breaking out on my neck is the worst spot to have a breakout at.
Needless to say, I gave RHSO a fair shot, I really did, even opting to buy another brand that was pure RHSO without any fillers, only to have the more pure one be worse than the first brand.
Now I'm left with 2 full bottles of RHSO, unsure what to do with them other than throw them in the bin, count me losses and move on.
The reason for the 2 lippies is cause it did give me a beautiful glow, er, well the first bottle with the fillers in it did (label is worn off, can't remember brand name and can't read any of the ing list), but not the second bottle and also I'm keeping in mind with all the reviews that everything is on a YMMV basis so I'm trying to be fair with my lippie rating.
While this didn't work for me I know it's doing something good and positive for the other people who have reviewed it.
I ended up doing a TCA peel 2 weeks after I stopped using RHSO cause I was having a hard time getting my neck to stop being so red and irritated from the breakout RHSO caused and also the huge, red, deep bumps just wouldn't shrink down, as if they had bought a mortgage on my neck and were there to stay. So I figured at the point I was at, my breakout was bad already so why not just have peeling skin like a snake to go along with the big red angry bumps I had on my neck that were taking ages to go away?
I have 1 blemish left on my neck left that is slowly shrinking but there's noway RHSO will ever touch my skin again.
TL;DR.

I cannot express fully how much I adore rosehip seed oil! I've been using it daily since my early 20's and at 32 my skin looks the same as then. This and Retinoids are my secret weapon. I actually apply the oil before I apply my retinoid to act as a buffer to my sensitive skin. I find that it truly reduces the inevitable irritation and peeling most people experience with retinoid use. I use it during the day time as well for its antioxidant properties. This oil makes my skin glow, like newborn baby skin! I use 100% pure and organic rhso, with no fillers or fragrances added. I use and highly recommend the rhso from Mountain Rose Herbs. Their products are pure and fair trade. I'll be using this oil til the day I die!

Popular Face Skincare Products