Favorite oilEnter TitleEnter Title

4.2

rose (usually rose moschata or rosa rubiginosa) hip seed oil

on 5/1/2017 11:57:00 PM

It broke me out, it gave me like 5 pimples, and I only get like 1-2 during my period, and these are not during my period, it clogged my pores and my skin feels rough, I'm not going to use this again.

I cannot express fully how much I adore rosehip seed oil! I've been using it daily since my early 20's and at 32 my skin looks the same as then. This and Retinoids are my secret weapon. I actually apply the oil before I apply my retinoid to act as a buffer to my sensitive skin. I find that it truly reduces the inevitable irritation and peeling most people experience with retinoid use. I use it during the day time as well for its antioxidant properties. This oil makes my skin glow, like newborn baby skin! I use 100% pure and organic rhso, with no fillers or fragrances added. I use and highly recommend the rhso from Mountain Rose Herbs. Their products are pure and fair trade. I'll be using this oil til the day I die!

I feel bummed that I'm in the minority that this oil doesn't work for me. I tried 2 different brands in order to give Rosehip Seed oil a fair chance on my skin, with the second brand called Life-Flo which I got from a local health food store, being the worst offender of the two.
The first bottle was a gift sent to me by my sister and it came straight from Israel and had a beautiful, true rose fragrance but was also packed with a bunch of filler ingredients (such as the addition of fragrance to give it that true rose scent) making it not true rosehip seed oil imo.
The first bottle did not break me out nearly as bad as the Life-Flo brand did and it gave me a beautiful glow and sunk right in, unlike the first brand. But I got tiny whiteheads all over and they became very red and inflamed but went away quickly after discontinuing use.
But then I stupidly thought it was the filler ingredients that may have been causing the mild breakout so I went to the health food store and looked at all the options they had for rosehip seed oil and settled on the brand Life-Flo for no particular reason other than wanting to try out rosehip seed oil without any fillers in it to give it a fair shot.
Well, what a big mistake this decision was. Within 2 days of using this new bottle of rosehip seed oil, I started breaking out and not in tiny little whiteheads like the first bottle. Oh no, they were big giant deep ones that were very red and very angry looking. The worst part of the breakout from this oil was mostly on my neck and when I breakout on my neck the blemishes tend to be bigger and redder and take ages to heal and even longer for the redness to go away so needless to say for me, breaking out on my neck is the worst spot to have a breakout at.
Needless to say, I gave RHSO a fair shot, I really did, even opting to buy another brand that was pure RHSO without any fillers, only to have the more pure one be worse than the first brand.
Now I'm left with 2 full bottles of RHSO, unsure what to do with them other than throw them in the bin, count me losses and move on.
The reason for the 2 lippies is cause it did give me a beautiful glow, er, well the first bottle with the fillers in it did (label is worn off, can't remember brand name and can't read any of the ing list), but not the second bottle and also I'm keeping in mind with all the reviews that everything is on a YMMV basis so I'm trying to be fair with my lippie rating.
While this didn't work for me I know it's doing something good and positive for the other people who have reviewed it.
I ended up doing a TCA peel 2 weeks after I stopped using RHSO cause I was having a hard time getting my neck to stop being so red and irritated from the breakout RHSO caused and also the huge, red, deep bumps just wouldn't shrink down, as if they had bought a mortgage on my neck and were there to stay. So I figured at the point I was at, my breakout was bad already so why not just have peeling skin like a snake to go along with the big red angry bumps I had on my neck that were taking ages to go away?
I have 1 blemish left on my neck left that is slowly shrinking but there's noway RHSO will ever touch my skin again.
TL;DR.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I loooove Rosehip seed oil, my savior in acne-prone hyper pigmented skin.
I would avoid any oils like the plague on my skin because prior to beckon a student esti, I thought; oil = bad. I was very very wrong.

I bought my Rosehip oil from Mountain Rose Herbs for $15 for 4oz which is 10x better price than that super popular Rosehip oil.

I always use it after cleansing or doing a clay mask, or when I do a light enzyme, I saturate my face with rose water and my toner and then I take 2-3 drops and pat all over my face and neck while it's still wet from the toner.
Since using Rosehip oil at night and using a PH balanced cleanser, I no longer wake up with horribly oily skin and it's more balanced.

Plus, this helps to lighten up my hyper pigmentation along with enzyme peels.
I would recommend keeping it in a dark glass bottle in the fridge away from heat as it is a very delicate oil and can get rancid very easily.

It's a great facial oil, I wouldn't recommend using it alone as it's not super moisturizing, I would use it under a moisturizer.

on 3/9/2017 11:38:00 PM

What a difference this has made for my skin!! I'm mid-30's with combination sensitive skin that's also acne prone. Since being pregnant with my daughter, my skin seems to react to a lot of skin care products (I.e: skin rashes, hives or swelling). I decided to try to get my skin care routine as natural as possible. I use rosehip seed oil mixed with grape seed oil (rosehip on its own isn't moisturizing enough for my skin). This combination leaves my skin super soft & acne free.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Rosehip oil was, for me, a good no-nonsense moisturizer. I used it both morning and night after cleansing and serums. I find that it works best on skin that is damp. I used about a nickel size amount all over my face, neck, and chest. With the remnants, I would use on dry elbows, lips, ears or anywhere else that needed a bit of moisture.

The average rating is because while this moisturized my skin, I don't think it helped with texture, acne, redness, nor with scarring. At best, it softened my skin a bit.

This oil does sink in relatively quickly and wears very well under makeup. It makes dry patches slightly less apparent under foundation, but grapeseed oil and mineral oil work much better. Additionally, I have extremely sensitive and reactive skin and this did not irritate my skin at all.

I think there are much better oils on the market, but this one is a solid choice for the price point.

on 1/18/2017 1:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Rose hip seed oil should be in every woman's beauty arsenal - as it has numerous uses for hair, skin and nails - whether scarring (acne scars), anti-again (Fine Lines), rosacea or general hydration.

Smells very earthy - and can spoil/go rancid. Lots of Vitamin A - Antioxidant properties. Store away from heat and light.

Love.

on 12/15/2016 7:51:00 PM

I have delayed typing this review to see what effects rosehip oil would have over a longer period of time. I started using it 2 years ago when I was heavily pregnant with my daughter, and holy hell did it transform my face. My pregnancy was hard and my face nad been very ashen with big dark circles. This oil made me GLOW with a gorgeous dewy complexion within hours of applying it for the first time. (I apply 3-4 drops morning and night after washing my face). The mild pimples I had completely disappeared. I was so so happy.

Around the same time my belly skin was getting so00 tight from the pregnancy I started to see little hair line red stretch marks all over it. I was freaking out I have to admit as girlfriends warned me that stretch marks arrived over night in late pregnancy. I started slathering two droppers full worth of rosehip oil all over my belly maybe 3 times a day, and hey presto my skin became supple soft and moisturized. I never did get those stretch marks, and not only that a few months after giving birth my skin snapped back no sagginess of any kind. Like nothing ever happened! For those that say that it could have been genetics, well that's true, but I did get lots of stretch marks through puberty so I think in this case the rosehip oil really saved the day.

The rosehip saga continues...

Once the baby came I went through a period of very rapid aging. Between sleep deprivation, post partum anxiety, PTSD from the birth and scary family issues I was extremely stressed. Skin all over my body rapidly lost elasticity and thickness. My veins are so visible now everywhere, especially hands and upper arms. I am 31 but I swear after making comparisons my body looks like that of a 40yr old or older (except my belly which is ageless, haha). I now have madonna hands. I was on autopilot with my skin routine (just washing with water and rosehip oil) and amazingly my face didn't age anywhere near as badly. Facially I maybe look 35 at most, though maybe Im being harsh even in that judgement. My eye area in particular (the place where aging shows first and harshest due to the thinness of the skin) DID NOT AGE AT ALL. I wish I had the foresight to slather my whole body with the stuff. Now that the ageing has slowed down to normal levels, Im finding that my eye area is actually improving a little.

As amazing as this oil is though it is not perfect. For one it really aggravates my seborrheic dermatitis, but this is easily fixed by avoiding those areas which for me are sides of the nose and eyebrows. Secondly the quality of this oil seems to vary greatly by brand and even batch within a brand. Trilogy which is HG for many people performed Ok on me the next time, and the second bottle gave me a reaction which I assume was from being rancid (there was no smell in either bottle to alert me on any issues). Sukin has been hit and miss. One bottle was AMAZING, another reeked of off-fish so badly I had to return it. I think what is happening is that the demand for rosehip oil is increasing world wide as more and more people are discovering it, individual brands are buying from a diversity of suppliers to meet the demand. This leads to quality and processing issues. Still worth the hassle of switching brands and bad batches though. Make sure you buy from a shop that has a high turn over too, you don't want to buy something that has been sitting on a shelf for a year.

Thats it folks, happy hunting!

on 12/15/2016 5:58:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

From time to time i have read so much stuff about the amazing properties of rosehip seed oil that given my ever curious nature i decided to purchase this wondrous product. I live in Greece and they do not sell it anywhere here so i bought it from Whole Foods market in Los Angeles last year. I have been using it a couple of times a week throughout the year and my skin feels fresh and supple. I use it as an overnight mask and only as that because otherwise it is too oily for my liking. I literally soak my face to the stuff and i wake up to glowy skin.
This week i am embarking on a new routine. I will use this over esteem lauder night repair serum for 10 days straight as an overnight mask and i will be reporting the results.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Rosehip seed oil definitely has holy grail status for me. Lately my skin has been oily and dry and tight at the same time. After washing my face I take two drops of cold pressed rosehip seed oil and apply to my face in the T-zone, which is where the oiliness, dryness and tightness mix usually occurs. Works like a charm. My face is SO soft and smooth and not a single pimple have I had since I started using it. That is a big deal for me, considering the fact that I'm very acne prone. The dryness and tightness is completely gone and my face doesn't get as oily as it used to - still a little oily but the thing is that my skin doesn't look like it! My skin looks and feels so balanced and healthy right now, it's incredible. I use it like an eye cream as well and it's lovely for that purpose too. The scent is not my favorite, however, but I would be lying if I said that it bothers me. It's absolutely not overwhelming and it doesn't linger. The color is not a problem either, but I think that might depend on how much you apply. I bought a bottle of 30 milliliters for about 9 dollars and I believe that that was the perfect amount - apparently this oil expires quickly, but I don't think I will have to throw any of it away when it expires so that is good. I am so glad that I tried this oil!

Popular Face Skincare Products