4.2

on 6/6/2017 12:38:00 PM

Had prescription for stress related ecxema breakout. I think the highest % available OTC is Obagi...2 per cent, Murad, too,maybe . Actually, the Obagi might have been the recommended one. TRUST ME I AM TOTALLY OCD re skin careingredients, etc. Dr. "Heathers" system sold on TV used to be on HSN, where I bought it and loved it. It is not just for women of color! Hydroqiuine, Yes, it helped speed up my ecxema which was around my eye andupper lip! Horrible experience. It is TOTALLYILLEGAL IN THE REST OF THE WORLD , I think at any percentage!
I did not use it "up" once i started to get close to healing. At that time i switched to OTC moisturizer version. CHEAP, but worked as well BUT what a long process of healing. IF you deal with it add 2% salycilic acid toner, gel...somethibg similar to help get the ENDLESS skin which builds overnight OFF!
Im ex c ited about the FDA re-approving TriLuma rx for lightening, retinol like effects plus a 3rd benefit i cant recall at the moment. Recently read thexderms are doing cartwheels regarding having this back in their arsenal! MAY or MAY NOT be covered by insuance. I had it years ago and my skin responded be a utufully,not a single "spot" on my face! My cousin was so impressed when she saw me she left my house, drove immediately to her derm to wiggle in an appt. Worked gre a t for her, too. BREAKOUT BLEMISHES ? Adapalene.... wonderful! Its a Retin A like product so im using it that way. FDA approved recently for acne....but its good for morethan that !! At the drugstore for about 13.00. Coupons at their website, too!
BTW, I get Retin A and other, well ALL my meds from Canada. EX: asthma med in US at 400.00
Canada: 90.00, same very well known UK manufacturer BUT I HAVE TO HAVE IT ! I request only UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India ( younger of "y"all might not be aware England "owned " India for a long time, so their in f luence and use of manufacturers creates environment of safety for their medproducts) Ive even received my asthma med with a US pharmacy shipping to me. Just be sureyou study and know who has the accredidations and respect plus the Canadian VIPP approval, which can be confirmed by going to the VIPP website. I use one Northwest. (ahem) Canadian law allows only a limited percentage of markups, unlike the FDA which allows robbery by big pharma. Tried to ckose the door buying off Senators, ,etc but the Seniors ...w ho ALWAYS VOTE, and are forcedto shop Canada due to income, raisedhell = loss of vote but Big Pharma continuesto get it through. DISGUSTING ! They even have hackers to scare us off websites with frightening messages. Just an FYI!

Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

A dangerous product, banned in some parts of the world like Europe! My derm prescribed this in 2010 for some melasma issues above my lip due to hormonal imbalance. It started off good but then became worse. This is NOT a product you can use long term! There are safer alternatives really!!

on 5/30/2017 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I'm here to say that 4% Hydroquinone absolutely does work. I went to a plastic surgeon to get the laser treatments and they actually made the spots worse and even caused some new ones. I noticed that when the plastic surgeon recommended the treatments to me that her assistant got a strange look on her face because apparently she knew that they didn't work too. I think it also reduced the fat deposits in my cheeks (not what I wanted) and places on my face where I would have looked better if the fat deposits WERE reduced, those places were not touched with the laser.The laser actually caused me to have more brown spots. I had 2 treatments before I actually realized what was happening to my face (thank God I had the wherewithal to realize it early) I immediately stopped the treatments. I am not the only person who noticed these things happening as a result of these procedures because I researched blogs where women noticed the same thing happening to their face too.

Take my advice (I am 66) and use the 4% Hydroquinone cream. I had also heard that doctors had to stop prescribing the 4% Hydroquinone anymore because it was found to be harmful, but in the end I realized that those nasty rumors were being circulated so plastic surgeons could make a lot more money on treatments that not only wouldn't work after a person spent tons of money on them, but would actually make the situation worse.

I have had a tube of 4% Hydroquinone stuck in the back of a drawer for 20 years and eventually go back to using it because I figured "what the heck" and after all this time, it still works. It does eventually stop working because it will only lighten your skin up to a certain point. I am almost totally out of it now and will see if I can get my doctor to prescribe it to me after reading these posts. Thank you all who have posted that this stuff works for you too!

on 9/20/2016 12:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

NOTHING has ever made such a difference in terms of luminosity, clarity and diminishment of hyperpigmentation like Hydroquinone.

I have always used serums (vitamin C, Ferulic acid, etc) , retina, AHC and sunscreens so my skin generally looks good but I always had some hyperpigmentation on my upper cheekbones.

This is the ONLY product that has managed to really make a difference on my hyperpigmentation but just as important it has made the skin on my face look so much better. I went to visit my sister after not having seen her for close to a year and she took one look and said she had never seen such velvety, clear, glowing skin. I'm not trying to compliment myself but rather how effective this product is as an adjunct to your regular skin care system.

So a lot of people look to Hydroquinone just to remove spots or lighten their skin but for a woman close to 50 years old, I'm thinking it is just as effective at resetting the tone of your skin to make you look younger. To allay anyone's fear, at least for me, this hasn't really changed the color of my skin.I don't know how it reduces my hyperpigmentation while not changing the color of my skin but I definitely do not look like I have bleached skin.

A few tips/notes:
-consider decreasing your usage of retina, AHA or other products that may irritate your skin when first introducing this product and then ramping back up
-because this cream is quite thick, I put on my serums and retina first and layer this on top. It's thick like a diaper rash cream but not oily - but before my lotion

I would strongly advise NOT purchasing hydroquinone from an overseas pharmaceutical company in India named AllDayChemist. Although they sell products for a small fraction of the cost in the U.S (Few dollars per tube vs. the $70 I paid in the U.S), I don't believe they have good quality standards anymore. The latest batch I ordered smelled and felt nothing like the one from the U.S., was about to expire within 3 months of my receipt date and most important didn't work and may even have made my skin worse. I started to get a bout of melasma and found AllDayChemist's version completely ineffective. I went to my dermatologist and paid for the hydroquinone from my U.S. pharmacy and almost INSTATANEOUSLY noticed the difference. The edges of my melasma started fading away within less than a week and I have full confidence it'll be gone in a couple of months at most. I know how to use hydroquinone - few months on, few months off, taper usage off, etc. so it wasn't the way I was using it.

I've been ordering from them online for a few years now and used to find their products to be a comparable generic item but no longer do so.

Their generic version of Latisse seem to work as of 2017 but I want to add a caveat. It actually makes my lashes longer and thicker whereas the name brand Latisse just makes my anemic lashes longer but NOT thicker so they have an edge over Latisse. However even this is concerning because once again it proves their generic quality standards are low as the formula is clearly different so I don't know how safe it is.

I also ordered some kojic acid cream and those creams were also close to their expiration date.

on 5/18/2017 3:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I am a fan of 4% with caveats. I have older spots from dermatological laser (I am NC 30-35, Asian, combination skin, tending towards dry, and relatively accustomed to BHA, AHA and both prescription and non prescription retinoids).

Currently, I believe 4% is banned or limited by prescription in a number of countries due to the carcinogenic and other risks. However, my dermatologist believed that it would be acceptable for me to try, given that I was only going to use it sparingly on a few spots. This does not sting, feel uncomfortable, dry out, peel, or cause purging or other issues on my skin. No problems with scent. Unlike another reviewer below, I did not need to reduce my usage of retinol during the time that I used this product. (If you experience any irritation, I recommend reducing or ceasing any and all irritants).

You are supposed to use it for no more than 90 days and then rest from it for a while. Sunscreen is a must, otherwise the applied areas could easily become darker. Prior to its restriction, there were a number of creams with a combination of retinol and hydroquinone. IMO, 2%, which is more widely available, doesn't do very much.

I don't think you can expect significant results in under 90 days, but if you have the patience to dab it on (avoiding the lighter surrounding skin as much as possible) and use sunscreen, it's very possible to lighten. If you get it on surrounding skin, or (I have read) if you are among the unlucky few, it may make things darker.

I use it, and I would repurchase if I lost the tube, but I often don't have the patience to dab for three months straight. My spots are lighter, but that may be a combination of time, retinoids, BHA, AHA, Vitamin C and niacinamide (I rotate products and generally do not use them daily).

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

SMELLS SO BAD!!

on 11/4/2015 12:38:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

I was prescribed a 4% hydroquinone cream to suppress melanin production before and after brown spot laser treatment. The results of using this product were slight, if noticeable at all. Initially my skin burned and stung but either the potency of the cream faded after I opened the tube or my skin's tolerance increased because by the time I finished the tube it didn't bother my skin at all. It smelled plastic-y upon application but I only used it at night and the smell didn't bother me or affect my ability to fall asleep. In the morning, my skin felt smoother but the affect on my brown spots/freckles was minimal. My prescription is good for several more tubes but I don't plan on buying another tube.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

THIS IS THE PRODUCT OF MY DREAMS! Fades discoloration fast! It is also, luckily, one of the very few products that don't break my face out.

on 7/11/2015 10:46:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have a prescribed compound formula that contains hydroquinone 7%. My skin issues are a few small, slight spots of hyperpigmentation and mild uneven skin tone on my cheeks. I do not have scars, blemishes or melasma patches.
I saw results within a week. Because this cream also contains tretinoin and konjic acid, I apply it all over my face and dcolletage.
My skin tone is more even, brighter and lighter. If I had to put a number on it, I guess I would say about a 25-30% improvement thus far.
As mentioned, I had pretty good skin to begin with and I was just battling a few small issues that were easily covered by a tinted moisturizer. Although I imagine with continued use this could work for people with worse issues.
I've been using this for a couple weeks now. I think to get my skin where I want it to be I would probably only need to use this for another 4 to 6 weeks. And then stop and switch to just retin-a for anti-aging.
I've been diligent with the sunscreen and have noticed no adverse effects from the sun exposure that I do have. I highly recommend it for folks in my same situation.

Hi my name is Antony. I am 34-year-old guy with fair complexion. I have dark patch on my right cheek due to application of hair dye and also few blemishes due to rashes. I applied hydroquinone 2% for 1.5 months but I did not see any significant change. I consulted dermatologist who suggested me to go for chemical peeling and carbon laser along with topical creams like melalite forte and demalan. I underwent 5 sessions of chemical peeling and 5 sessions of carbon laser (every 15 days for 5 months), but I did not see any positive result. It made things worse. I got marks all over my face now. Here is the regime I followed give by the dermatologist.

1. Melalite forte hydroquinone 4% + steroid cream (1st day, before bed)
2. Demelan cream (2nd day, before bed)
3. Every 15 days chemical peeling or carbon laser.

After 20 days of using topical creams, my face completely became black, especially on the places where I applied those cream. After researching on the internet, I suspected the culprit was hydroquinone 4% as many people had experienced the same effect as mine. Then, I stopped using melalite forte (hydroquinone 4%) cream.

I tried collagen + vitamin C tablets for a month but I got rashes all over my body and face. Those rashes then became pimples. I stopped using collagen also.

Then I went for Vitamin C serum but no joy. I again got break out.

Now for the past 1 month I am on IV Glutathione + vitamin c + papaya soap.

I want to know whether I can use hydroquinone 1% or 2% cream in order to get rid of all those blemishes and hyperpigmention ?