4% Hydroquinone

4% Hydroquinone

4.2

Hi my name is Antony. I am 34-year-old guy with fair complexion. I have dark patch on my right cheek due to application of hair dye and also few blemishes due to rashes. I applied hydroquinone 2% for 1.5 months but I did not see any significant change. I consulted dermatologist who suggested me to go for chemical peeling and carbon laser along with topical creams like melalite forte and demalan. I underwent 5 sessions of chemical peeling and 5 sessions of carbon laser (every 15 days for 5 months), but I did not see any positive result. It made things worse. I got marks all over my face now. Here is the regime I followed give by the dermatologist.

1. Melalite forte hydroquinone 4% + steroid cream (1st day, before bed)
2. Demelan cream (2nd day, before bed)
3. Every 15 days chemical peeling or carbon laser.

After 20 days of using topical creams, my face completely became black, especially on the places where I applied those cream. After researching on the internet, I suspected the culprit was hydroquinone 4% as many people had experienced the same effect as mine. Then, I stopped using melalite forte (hydroquinone 4%) cream.

I tried collagen + vitamin C tablets for a month but I got rashes all over my body and face. Those rashes then became pimples. I stopped using collagen also.

Then I went for Vitamin C serum but no joy. I again got break out.

Now for the past 1 month I am on IV Glutathione + vitamin c + papaya soap.

I want to know whether I can use hydroquinone 1% or 2% cream in order to get rid of all those blemishes and hyperpigmention ?

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

THIS IS THE PRODUCT OF MY DREAMS! Fades discoloration fast! It is also, luckily, one of the very few products that don't break my face out.

To Read all 18 Reviews, Login or Join

on 11/4/2015 12:38:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

I was prescribed a 4% hydroquinone cream to suppress melanin production before and after brown spot laser treatment. The results of using this product were slight, if noticeable at all. Initially my skin burned and stung but either the potency of the cream faded after I opened the tube or my skin's tolerance increased because by the time I finished the tube it didn't bother my skin at all. It smelled plastic-y upon application but I only used it at night and the smell didn't bother me or affect my ability to fall asleep. In the morning, my skin felt smoother but the affect on my brown spots/freckles was minimal. My prescription is good for several more tubes but I don't plan on buying another tube.

on 7/11/2015 10:46:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have a prescribed compound formula that contains hydroquinone 7%. My skin issues are a few small, slight spots of hyperpigmentation and mild uneven skin tone on my cheeks. I do not have scars, blemishes or melasma patches.
I saw results within a week. Because this cream also contains tretinoin and konjic acid, I apply it all over my face and décolletage.
My skin tone is more even, brighter and lighter. If I had to put a number on it, I guess I would say about a 25-30% improvement thus far.
As mentioned, I had pretty good skin to begin with and I was just battling a few small issues that were easily covered by a tinted moisturizer. Although I imagine with continued use this could work for people with worse issues.
I've been using this for a couple weeks now. I think to get my skin where I want it to be I would probably only need to use this for another 4 to 6 weeks. And then stop and switch to just retin-a for anti-aging.
I've been diligent with the sunscreen and have noticed no adverse effects from the sun exposure that I do have. I highly recommend it for folks in my same situation.

on 1/20/2015 5:43:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

None of these products really work. Use HYDROQUINONE 2% or 4% if your melasma is really bad. The best brand of Hydroquinone is Melloderm. I've tried them all. The expigment brand is not very good and the results are slow. Melloderm Hydroquinone 2% was my first one to try and within and week it was hard for me to see where my melasma was. I had to go into a extra well lighted area to find my melasma spots to apply melloderm Hydroquinone 2%. I then thought I'd try expigment hydroquinone 4% and after the first time it was darker so I went straight back to my melloderm brand and it lightened up again. Melloderm is about $15-$20 for just 7grams but you only put it on your melasma effected areas so it does last a few weeks. Compared to the expigment which is about $20-$25 for 30grams. It is nowhere near as effective as melloderm. I have tried all the home remedies. All the creams with skin whitening in the pharmacies and nothing worked. Trust me
Melloderm hydroquinone 2% or 4% and it will be pretty much gone within a month. People say it will take 3 months when using hydroquinone but not true. They must be using a cheaper brand or cheaper quality product. I have only
Been using melloderm hydroquinone for a few weeks and I can't handly see my melasma anymore. And my melasma was so dark and horrible and all over my face. My
Face is looking bright and clear. Aliexpress.com has the 2% melloderm hydroquinone and also ioffer.com is another good site for melloderm purchases. Hope anyone suffering from melasma gives melloderm hydroquinone a try. I'm sure you will be happy. Just has to share because I know how upsetting it is when your face has all these dark brown patches all over. I was depressed. Now I am happier and happier as the days go by. :)

on 12/24/2014 7:51:00 PM

I reviewed this product elsewhere on this site but thought I'd add more here. After dealing with hyperpigmentation (read: icky brown spots) on my right cheekbone--which looked damn awful against my pale skin--I decided to do something about it. I'd been covering them up with Estee Lauder's Double Wear as well as concealer, and the spots STILL showed through. So, there's that. I started out last summer with Black and White Fade Cream (2% hydroquinone) and did not have high hopes. I used it on my face twice daily for several months. I will say that the Black and White Cream faded my spots by about 30%. But they still SHOWED THROUGH my foundation and concealer. Blech, I was so sick of those spots. So I searched for a way to get my hands on 4% hydroquinone online. Bingo--alldaychemist had it. I bought 3 tubes for less than $15, an amazing bargain. Some snooty types refuse to deal with foreign pharmacies, figuring them to be inferior to American products. Phooey. I've been getting Retin A, a Latisse substitute, and thyroid meds for years through Mexican or Indian pharmacies, and the products are incredibly cheap and of excellent quality. So, back to this cream I'm reviewing: in only two weeks of using the 4% hydoquinone, my spots have faded tremendously. They are so faint now that I have to squint to see them. I suspect I will have to use this cream for another month or two to get the durned things to go away completely, but I'm fine with that. It works! It really does. One more thing: This stuff stinks. Smells like a monkey's butt. But given how effective it is, that's ok.

on 12/17/2014 8:30:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I finally caved and got my derm to write me a prescription for 4% Hydroquinone to attempt to reduce some hyperpigmentation on my face and neck. I had tried many over the counter products with little results. So far I am 3 weeks into it and already there is a noticeable difference.

You do need to "take a break" after a few months" and then resume.

I am glad my brown spots are fading.
It was $72 for the small tube.

on 11/13/2014 10:44:00 PM

I felt compelled to write a review on this product because I did not believe in miracles until I tried a 4% hydroquinone cream, in my case, called Lustra, available over the counter at pharmacies in Canada. I have been avoiding hydroquinone for years as I battled a stubborn case of melasma (which I've writen about on several reviews on here) because of all this paranoia online about it.

I tried EVERYTHING. Say what you will, when you have dark ugly splotches on your face, it affects you, no matter how "not vain" you are.

I tried very expensive fraxel laser treatments, which made it worse, and cost almost $2000. I tried this BS chemical peel called Dermamelan or something, which I paid $1800 for. It did NOTHING. I was mortified. For years I tried all kinds of idiotic solutions I read about online. Everything from apple cider vinegar to taking grapefruit seed oil to MSM to colostrum to this $50 soap called Wonderbar to jesus, everything, not to mention all the different makeup products I bought, like Armani master corrector and Laura Mercier stuff and other expensive products .. I wasted SO MUCH MONEY. No one could help me. Nothing worked. Nothing helped. I gave up. I was absolutely pissed off with the beauty industry and the plastic surgery industry and the dermatology industry. They all failed me and robbed me. In the end, I gave up and just accepted the ugly splotches. What can you do?

In fact, last month I went on a trip to a very tropical place where the sun was extremely intense and to my horror my melasma spread down my face, but I honestly didn't care, as I had given up, but it was scary, it was spreading out like one of those alien pod things on Invasion of the Body Snatchers, so when I got back, after years of being terrified of this hydroquinone stuff thanks to all this BS online, I said screw it, and went out and purchased a tube.

It was the best decision of my life and I can just strangle all these naysayers and paranoid people online saying it's going to kill you and it's toxic, etc. I used this product for two weeks and my melasma is virtually GONE. Like 92% gone. I am not joking. I thought I was going to die with these patches on my face but this product works. I am beside myself with relief and joy. I can't describe it. I guess you have to have gone through what I did to understand. And also to understand that you should NOT listen to all these paranoid people online telling you the horrors of hydroquinone. I used this product for two weeks. I am not alternating with Vitamin C oil and will stop using it in a while. If it should come back, and a lot of people say it will when you stop using it, I'll start using it again.

I want to emphasize again that this product works like a miracle. Anyone with brown splotches should not hesitate to buy this stuff if they want to see RESULTS.

on 11/8/2014 3:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

I have to set the record straight :hydroquinone is safe !
I have used 4%HQ on my underarms for three months, then I gave two months off and it worked wonderfully , all the darkness was gone . I tried a lot of expensive and famous whitening creams but none worked since the darkness was caused by rubbing .
It is safe,effective and should be used exactly according to the prescribed regimen ,
then it will be the most effective skin lightening product . I have been avoiding it for years and never wore anything sleeveless because I was afraid of the side effects. In my opinion
It is controversial for reasons beyond safety and I guess the reason is the issue of skin color prejudice, otherwise is not more harmful than tanning .

on 7/30/2014 6:03:00 AM

This Rx product works more quickly and effectively than anything else; However, it left some of my drier treated areas with very fine, vertical lines (almost like mini facial stretch marks.) I discontinued the use and most of my post-inflammatory hyper pigmentation returned to near pretreatment levels (primarily the ones from Dr's liquid nitrogen treatment of sebaceous hyperplasia and age spots- cystic acne scars were more amenable). Following several years of Rx retinoid treatment (Atralin and Differin) and boatloads of antioxidants chemical peels, the strange vertical lines are mostly gone. For those afflicted with SA, I have found that electrocautery, while initially more painful, heals with fewer pigmentation problems if I keep the scabs covered with Bacitracin (No Neosporin!) followed by Aquaphor. This regimen does not seem to work for my cystic acne scars. It's sad to fight SA and acne, esp when my insurance co won't pay for my retinoids for my acne because I am in my 50s and could be using them as anti aging treatments.