Kinky Curly Come Clean Shampoo

3.8

Purified water, organic mandarin orange fruit, organic marigold flower, organic white willow bark, organic sea kelp, c14-16 olefin, sulfonate and cocamidopropyl betaine (coconut derived), phytic acid, citric acid, sea salt, phenoxyethanol, natural fragrance.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I've read reviews about Kinky Curly products, especially the leave-in Knot Today which I'm really excited to try out. This shampoo got me because of the scent...HOLY COW, it smells just like Sprite but in a great way. It's got tangerine oil in it and doesn't make any sense as to how in the world it smells like Sprite but it does and it's amazing.

This is definitely a clarifying shampoo but it DOES NOT strip your hair. I think the other reviewers that said this was too clarifying are using it too often and may have hard water. I have soft water and I know that's a factor in how your products are going to work.

That being said, it has a low lather and I have to use more than regular shampoo to get it to lather into my hair. It feels nice and after rinsing and following with a hydrating conditioner, I get great curls and big hair. I love it.

I only wash my 2c curly hair about 2x's a week. I use coconut oil a few nights a week as a deep overnight conditioner and I use argan oil and a curl cream daily to keep my hair nice and hydrated. So, I am always putting moisture in my hair and creams so when I shampoo with this, I feel like my hair is very clean and ready for 4 more days of product :)

It says on the bottle that it's gentle enough for daily use. It could be since the ingredients look pretty natural and gentle but it would definitely make my hair too dry if I used this daily. Keep it as a weekly deep cleanse and it won't strip your hair. Even if you have oily hair, I bet this would feel too drying if used daily.

on 10/17/2013 11:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

Love this shampoo, I have very dry hair but oily scalp & this product really washes away debris, oil buildup and impureties. Does not strip the hair. I only use as needed. Love it !! I have 4b/4c hair

To Read all 10 Reviews, Login or Join

IT HAS c14-16 OLEFIN SULFONATE WHICH IS MORE HARSH THAN SULFATES.

I was really looking forward to using this shampoo as it says mild enough for every day use. This is NOT true. I read on the bottle that it was sulfate free, so I assumed it was mild, but once I washed my hair, it was really dry and squeaky clean. It just felt worse than my regular sulfate shampoo. So I researched on the net and I was right! It has c14-16 olefin sulfonate which is considered "very harsh" vs sulfate which is considered "harsh" on a popular curly hair website. Google the name and you can see for yourself. Maybe they changed the formula because most good reviews were done a year or two ago, but I just bought this in June 2013 and it contains this very harsh ingredient, not good for curlies or people with very dry hair.

The shampoo does clean, and I'm sure it cleans all the build up from other products, but if it's a clearing shampoo, it should be advertised as such. Instead, it makes users believe it's mild, and it's not. I don't like deceptive advertising, so I won't be buying this product again.

on 6/7/2013 11:48:00 PM

My hair is dry enough that I go over a month in the winter and it never looks oily or gets matted. This product strips my hair, but not as badly as 99% of other shampoos. So why do I recommend it?

Usually I use a Jessicurl shampoo. But I switch to Come Clean when my hair is too dirty for the Jessicurl to handle. Like when I put bug spray in my hair, swim in a chlorinated pool, hang out with friends who smoke, or spend hours in the ocean. After using Come Clean, it takes several days of leaving a heavy conditioner (Jessicurl Deep Conditioning Treatment) in my hair to bring my hair back to normal.

I think this would work well as a regular shampoo for someone with somewhat dry hair. It isn't good for oily hair. My hubby, who has oily hair, tried it. It did nothing for him.

It is scented, but I don't find it cloying or sickening. And the scent fades in a few hours. I also like that it has no dyes. I don't need to use a lot at a time so my original bottle has lasted me easily a couple of years.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have 3a curly hair and this product was extremely drying for me! Even after using a deep conditioner. My hair was not itself after using this-this was the only time I've had knots in my hair after washing. Will not be repurchasing. This may be a great product for those who's hair is not so much on the dry side and have a lot of product build up. I feel like it did get my hair extremely clean but with no love.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is really good for removing the Curling Custard and other build-up, but it is SUPER drying. I have to mix it with some coconut oil so it won't strip my hair and then follow up with a ton of conditioner. It really does give my hair and scalp a clean start, though.

EDIT- I don't use this anymore. In fact, I don't even shampoo anymore. I do the CG method of washing with a cleansing conditioner, and my hair is super clean yet soft and MOISTURIZED! This was too stripping for me. I gave it away to a friend, though, who seems to like it.

on 6/8/2011 2:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I couldn't agree more with Eliana78. The product itself is excellent - it cleans well without stripping and it smells very fresh and natural. The only problem is the price tag, which is too high for the amount of product you're getting. There are cheaper, more sensible alternatives that do just as good a job as this one. If however all-natural is important to you, then this is certainly worth checking.

on 3/14/2011 1:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I have long 3b/3c S curl hair that is porous, medium-fine, yet very dense. While I do not use this product as a staple I have used it several times and find it to be an excellent shampoo. It lathers a lot yet it doesn't leave the hair feeling stripped, brittle, nor dry. I felt it got my scalp and hair very clean. It also left it smelling very fresh. The price point isn't appealing to me hence why I wouldn't use it as a staple and have found a cheaper alternative. But it's a great shampoo to use if one is looking for something natural that doesn't leave the hair feeling like dry straw after use and you don't mind the price point.

on 9/11/2010 10:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I've tried the Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Knot Today conditioner, and Come Clean shampoo and this shampoo is the only product I've really liked from this line. My hair is thick, curly, and coarse and it cleans my hair without stripping it and leaving it feeling hard and squeaky-clean.

on 8/29/2010 10:46:00 PM

Excellent, no frills clear shampoo that is color safe giving the best shine and bouncy hair. Love it and can be purchased at whole foods or online at naturallycurly.com. Lathers great and it's a welcome change to wash hair with a clear shampoo that doesn't strip, yet leaves hair comfortable and soft. It's not only for curly girls, it's for anyone who doesn't want excessive ingredients to weigh hair down.

Popular Shampoos