Desert Essence Fragrance Free Shampoo

Desert Essence Fragrance Free Shampoo

3.0

Not tested on animals

Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice*, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract (Green Tea)*, Coco-Glucoside (Coconut/Sugar), Sodium Coco-Sulfate (Coconut), Lauryl Glucoside (Coconut/Sugar), Decyl Glucoside (Coconut/Sugar), Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Sodium Chloride, Glycerin (Palm)*, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil*, Lepidium Meyenii Root Extract (Maca Root)*, Yucca Brevifolia Root Extract (Yucca Cactus)*, Symphytum Officinale Leaf Extract (Comfrey)*, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Leaf Extract *, Macrocystis Pyrifera Extract (Sea Kelp)*, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract*, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate * Certified Organic

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

The only shampoo I have in my shower. And the conditioner as well. I stopped using any hair products with fragrance in them years ago because I would get itchy along my hair line and scalp. A no fragrance criteria narrows out amost everything except what I can count on one hand (seriously). I choose this over others because they are either freakin expensive or I can't find them, and I prefer the tube. I also have used the shampoo for body and face wash, which makes the tube a great travel buddy. I'll be honest and say it is a little drying on its own and needs conditioner, but I never skip it. (the companion conditioner is great too...)

on 1/22/2017 5:15:00 AM

It's an absolute heroic challenge to find a frag-free shampoo in Australia (truly frag-free, no essential oils or anything). So I decided to try this, and wanted to review because I think most of the reviews for this product are for an older version. Reading reviews on other websites, I think the formula was changed approx. 2-3 years ago to this one? (I'll list ingredients at end of this.)

On to the review. The shampoo does lather, but like all 'alternative' shampoos, not by much unless you use a lot. This is fine as long as you aren't conditioned into thinking that more foam = more cleansing power. I do find that this cleans my hair better than other "gentle" shampoos (the problem with those is they are so gentle they don't remove any build up at all). However, I still have to use this a little more frequently than I'd like, about every 2 days so far. Will see how it goes as I continue to work through the bottle.

It rinses out easily and doesn't leave my hair dull. It does feel decently soft after using as well, entirely on it's own (without conditioner). However it primarily doesn't do anything "for" your hair, which is to be expected - it's not for volume or softness or whatever. So as long as your hair doesn't have any special needs and you don't dye it or use lots of heat on it, I think this is pretty good just for getting the scalp clean in a way that isn't harsh. I know that many say that "sodium coco-sulfate" is the same as SLS but it really isn't. As soon as I use SLS-shampoo I feel immediately stripped, and using those suuuuuper gentle 'organic' or 'dermatological' shampoos never clean my hair properly. I have found this to be a good 'in the middle' compromise between cleansing power and harshness.

The shampoo is genuinely frag-free (no "artificial" or "natural" scent ingredients), so sensitive people will enjoy that. Although I should mention that the natural scent of the ingredients isn't really to my taste. I don't drink this beverage, but it seems to smell like "cold sweetened tea". That sort of bitter but sweet scent. Or like balsamic vinegar - something quite sharp but with a sweet note. So basically in between sweetened tea and vinegar. I really don't personally like this, but it is just the natural raw ingredients, and it doesn't linger in your hair or in the bathroom at all.

The other annoying thing is the packaging. It's quite a runny texture, and would make so much more sense in a pump bottle. You have to pretty much hold this horizontally whilst pouring the shampoo out, to stop the bottle globbing out so much more than you needed. To be fair the bottle hasn't leaked for me, but it is an annoying thing to have to remember every time. Plus, given the weak preservative system and short shelf life, a airless pump bottle would be safer.

I don't find I need to use this with an in-shower conditioner, as this shampoo is gentle enough without. As long as you're not stripping your hair you don't need an in-shower conditioner. I don't think I'd bother with the matching conditioner anyway, it doesn't have the organic components that the shampoo does. So I'm currently pairing this shampoo with the Alba Botanica Frag-Free Leave In Conditioner, just on the ends. A good combination so far!

Will not repurchase in the meantime as I have a few other frag-free shampoos I want to try out.

Ingredients:
Organic aloe leaf juice, organic green tea leaf extract, coco-glucoside, sodium coco-sulfate, lauryl glucoside, decyl glucoside, leuconostoc/radish root ferment filtrate, sodium chloride, organic glycerin, panthenol, organic jojoba seed oil, organic maca root extract, organic yucca cactus root extract, organic comfrey leaf extract, organic nettle leaf extract, organic kelp extract, organic willow bark extract, citric acid, potassium sorbate

on 1/17/2015 9:05:00 PM

Another wonderful organic fragrance free products I wish I knew about years ago.

In an effort to lighten my toxic load and the toxic load on the planet, I thought I'd try this.
Works beautifully!!!

My hair is on the oily side, very fine, and I have a lot of it (can be heavy) that comes just below my shoulders.I use about a nickle size amount and it seems to work very well washing all of my hair (no need to double wash even thought I do hot yoga and my hair is super sweaty).

Does a wonderful job cleaning and leaving my hair fresh & soft....
No skin breakouts as I am prone to this on chest & back with new products.

I still use a regular conditioner as I as still transitioning products.

Have been using for about a month - daily - and still on my first bottle.

It is pricey but worth it.

Bottle design is awful - the cap leaks. Now I set it in a small plastic shower tote basket to sit on an angle with the top up so it doesn't drain out ( I wasted about a good 1/4 of the product that leaked on the bathtub ledge - grrrr).

Will continue using.

on 12/19/2014 8:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

Terrible! Left my hair a dry, frizzy, straw like mess despite only using a small amount of the shampoo and applying a generous amount of the conditioner and leaving it in for 5 minutes afterwards. It is cheap compared to other natural, fragrance free shampoos but I can't recommend it if you want your hair to look and feel nice.

on 5/19/2014 3:45:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I have curly/wavy hair and it gets dry easily. I have used this shampoo + same conditioner over 2 years and absolutely loved it, my hair was always smooth and silky and curls would hold on nice for days, I would never get itchy scalp or dandruff ... unfortunately I have tried two other shampoos (Coconut and Red Raspberry from the same brand and they turned my hair into something unmanageable and my scalp was a bit itchy too)

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I have a sensitive scalp that is easily irritated and am frequently on the search for fragrance-free shampoos. I actually have to rotate through 2-3 at any one time to avoid irritation. I've had a good experience with this shampoo. Doesn't dry out the scalp, cleanses thoroughly without stripping, and doesn't require a ton of product to cover the scalp. I don't use daily conditioner (usually a deep conditioner about once a week), but my hair isn't excessively dry after using this product. I can see how that might be the case if one's hair is color-treated or regularly heat styled. For my part, I will be a repeat purchaser.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Hands down, the absolute worst shampoo I have ever used. I bought these to use at my cottage since I like the idea of using natural products in that kind of environment when the water filtering system isn't as good. This shampoo sucked the absolute life out of my hair and made it feel literally like straw. I've bought knock off brand shampoos for about a dollar at the drugstore that make my hair feel this stuff. When I decided to take the trip into town I just had to pick up new products, I didn't feel like I could abuse my hair like that anymore and I had only ever used it twice. Horrible product, do not buy it. There are so much better products out there for a lower price that are natural and cruelty free. Terrible buy. I can't hate on this enough.

on 4/17/2013 1:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I can't believe this has so many negative reviews! I have very long (I'm talking butt-length long), moderately thick hair. I also, very unfortunately, suffer from scalp psoriasis along the back of my hair line along my neck. I've previously been able to keep it under control for the most part, up until I moved into a new house several months ago and now have hard water. Big no-no for psoriasis. The first couple months after the move I was miserable. It was worse than it had ever been, and the flare-up was NOT going away like it usually does. I had to have tried - literally - about 15 different medicated shampoos and scalp treatments with no relief. I was recommended this shampoo on a psoriasis message board, so I picked it up from a local organic health food store and it's helped SO much. This shampoo has definitely helped reduce the inflammation and discomfort. During my flare-up I even had areas where it was actually *on* my neck which had never happened before. After using this, it's completely gone from my neck and what's left is just on my scalp itself - and even that has improved immensely.
About a month ago I decided to get a wave perm. I've been using this shampoo since then as well and it's worked wonderfully. It doesn't dry my hair out after all the chemicals from the perm did their damage. It cleans just enough and leaves my hair soft and volumized. I always follow with a good conditioner (not the Desert Essence brand... I've never tried their conditioners) and it leaves my hair looking and feeling great. I just used up my first bottle and will be repurchasing.

on 3/29/2013 9:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I seriously question the reviews I read here. It is hard to tell whether they think this is a drying shampoo because they didn't follow with a conditioner or not. I would never wash my hair without also conditioning it. So, here is my take:
My scalp got very irritated from a dye job at my salon, followed by a shampoo/conditioner that made matters worse. My dermatologist had to prescribe a steroid lotion for my scalp to soothe the irritation, bumps and itching. She further instructed to use a shampoo and conditioner without fragrance for at least a month to let my scalp calm down. I found this shampoo at Whole Foods and thought I'd give it a whirl. It cleans well and rinses easily and has no scent whatsoever. When I follow up with the conditioner, my naturally wavy, chemically-treAted hair is happy. If your scalp is truly sensitive, this shampoo will work for you. But don't skip the conditioner. Ever.

Hands down, the worst shampoo I have ever put in my hair.

I have never had that much hair fall out during a wash. Horrible stuff. Don't waste your money

Popular Shampoos