Calamine Lotion

Calamine Lotion
Calamine LotionCalamine Lotion

4.6

Active Ingredients: Calamine (6.971%) (skin protectant), Zinc Oxide (6.971%) (skin protectant) Inactive Ingredients: Bentonite, Calcium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Water (Purified)

on 2/19/2017 11:18:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I have no idea why they aren't marketing this as an acne treatment. This stuff is INCREDIBLE at clearing up acne.
I had severe acne, hormonal cystic on my jawline and regular acne pretty much everywhere else on my face. I tried pretty much every acne soap & treatment they had at the drugstore and nothing worked, I started googling alternative treatments and found this and it's saved my life. I slather it all over my face every night, it's very drying but I when I wake up I just wash it off and put on moisturizer and my skin feels great. Once it starts working you can probably use it less frequently or use it as a spot treatment.
Oh ya, bonus: It also helps fade the scars from the acne and reduces redness. What. The. Heck.

I WILL FOREVER BUY THIS! Honestly it's one of those things that you always need to have. This helps with hormonal and cystic acne incredibly well, honestly it even helps with an allergic reaction you might've gotten from a product. I don't apply this stuff every night, I apply it when I need it. I leave it on as a spot treatment over night, or if I feel like my a side of my face has break outs I'll use it at night and in the day for a few days. you don't want to get your skin used to using this everyday, I feel like it won't be as effective.

on 1/12/2017 5:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

very good product to get your skin back on track. and useful for rashes. I started using for my rash and can't stop using it now, it gives me a beautiful glow.

on 7/22/2016 11:30:00 AM

Calamine lotion has been around for years. I have used it for everything from mosquito bites to poison sumac to poison ivy and with always incredibly positive results: It calms down angry,inflamed and itchy skin conditions and seems to draw out impurities much like clay masks do.
I had no idea people use it for cosmetic reasons but if it works for that purpose,more power to you.
Truly a multi- task product!

I have to say that I tried using diaper cream (I tried Desitin and a Costa Rican brand called "PaƱalito"
) Desitin did nothing and PaƱalito kinda helped to keep the pimple the same size.

I later bought zinc oxide powder and I mixed it with Apple Cider Vinegar, it helped more than the diaper rash creams but still the pimples were talking ages to be removed and I started getting more pimples.

I finally decided purchasing calamine (I bought the one with least additives) and that's been a very good purchase! It removed all of my hormonal cysts in 3 days (I take that as a triumph!). What I do now is that I take a q-tip and put small little drops wherever I need it, leave it overnight and wash it off in the morning. Regarding makeup, what I do is that I don't put foundation every day because now I just have redness because of the pimples that are gone so I put a dot of calamine where I need it and then I cover with a dot of bb cream (This is going to sound strange but I've had light freckles since always so if I find that the dot of bb cream+calamine is too light, I make a dot with a taupe eyebrow pencil close so that the attention is drawn to the freckle, of course blend it well).

My routine (morning and night):
1. remove makeup if I wear it.
2. wash my face with an oatmeal soap.
3. use my DIY toner (Apple cider vinegar, brewed green tea and 2 drops of tea tree oil)
4. apply moisturizer (I've used for 2 years the St. Ives timeless skin, I use it under my eyes too). I add 3 drops of argan oil and 2 drops of tea tree oil to the moisturizer every time I buy it.
5. Apply a small drop of calamine only on the places I need it.
(once a week I put a clay mask at night)

And that's it!

These are other things that have helped me so much:
1. watch your stress levels, try to remain as calmed as possible or look for ways to relax you.
2. watch what you eat. I found out a year ago that milk is a trigger for me, so I avoid it at all cost. Eat more natural food (more vitamin C is great), avoid greasy food.
3. drink water.
4. exercise. I just do a 20 min routine (I do it mainly to keep my brain active during the day because I have to study a lot)
5. watch what you put on your face. Try to memorize or recognize comedogenic ingredients if you can. You will avoid buying something that you'll regret.
6. Less is more (let your skin breathe) and don't be aggressive with your skin.
7. watch the supplements that you're taking. Research about them so you can know the pros and cons. (I only take a pill of cod liver oil per day)
8. take care of what you put in your hair, specially if you have your hair in your face.
9. Face map: I don't know how true this is, but it has helped me to be more conscious not only about skin, but about my whole body.
10. research, research, research!. You don't have to become a scientist, but be sure to read more about what you're going to put in your face, specially if you decide to do something that has been advised from a youtube video or somewhere else, look for reviews, pros, cons, look for what's been discovered or researched about the ingredients. Knowledge is power, people!.

So, this is all I've changed, I had to learn it by myself, the dermatologist that I visited a year ago never told me anything of this (except for the water part). I really hope I can help somebody. Please bare in mind that everyone is different, so if nothing works, please visit an specialist.

***Edit (12/25/16)***
The 5th step of my routine has changed:

I found out that if I add 5 to 10 drops of tea tree oil (maybe more). The calamine feels way more refreshing and I barely have pimples now, maybe 2 per month, and they're made because I consume diary or because of my period.

What I do is that before applying makeup, I mix moisturizer (same as listed before) with calamine, apply it to the whole face, let it dry and then use makeup.

It has given me several benefits:
1. You need less foundation because it evens out your skin color considerably and the face gets less oily.
2. Sunscreen.

Don't recommend wearing calamine 24/7 in your whole face because your skin needs to breathe, what I do is that I use it 6 days of the week in the morning and let my skin breathe 1 day. At night, I wash it off and use as spot treatments either drops of the same calamine or a salt paste (I use sea salt + apple cider vinegar) both of them I leave them overnight and then remove them in the morning.

Still following the same advises that I provided previously and try not to wear heavy foundations always, I'd recommend BB creams (I use a korean one that has a lot of coverage), I use it as concealer mainly because the calamine reduces the redness and it gives a matte effect for a while. I'd recommend anyone to use calamine with tea tree oil!

on 7/3/2016 11:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I started to use calamine lotion (pink and thick consistency) as night mask to reduce my acne. In 3 days, I can see big improvement already, it calms down my pimples, dry it out and reduce the redness, my pimples also heals faster than usual. I highly recommend it to almost everyone I met that has the same condition as mine.

Lately, I've been using it as primer and it definitely helps to control my oiliness. But it does makes me feel cakey, even I don't look cakey. So instead of using it as primer, I mixed it with my cc cream and it works so great! It feels like skin! It stays matte even without setting it with powder.

P/s: I did moisturize before hand, to avoid my face feeling too dry.

on 3/18/2016 8:41:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Amazing. Bought because of reviews on here. I had a bad breakout on vacation like big hormonal bumps under the skin on my chin.. Hideous!!! But used this as a spot treatment with a q-tip over night and it reduced the size. I am still using it and the pimples are just flaking up and falling off with consistent usage. Used along with my Clinique, it's working wonders! I prefer this spot treatment over all the others I've tried: tea tree oil (burns my skin), toothpaste (burns my skin and leaves a scar) and the drugstore versions. I'll stick to good ole calamine. Thanks makeup alley!!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is one of those long time favorites that can last foreve because you use so little and there is a generous amount in the bottle for only a couple dollars. I use this primarily to deal with the itch of mosquito bites (I have a tendency to swell up with large welts from them). It keeps the urge to scratch at bay and reduces the swelling relatively quick. I have used this on itchy eczema and it helps considerably (albeit not as well as prescription creams do). I read somewhere that you can use this on acne and I have tried this as a spot treatment at bedtime, finding that the swelling and redness is reduced. Not sure I'd cover my face with a layer of this since it looks like pepto bismal. There is something to be said for repurposing those inexpensive products in our cupboards and not being skin care or make up "snobs" having to have name brands at expensive prices. I like having a mix of products that suit my needs without worrying about the name on the package.

I cannot believe I didn't think to try this stuff sooner. It's truly the most effective topical treatment I have ever tried for acne.

I had extreme cystic acne from age 15-20, tried everything under the sun and nothing touched it until I went on the oral prescription Spironolactone. It took a few months, but then my skin was very clear and I didn't experience another cyst while on it. I went off of it after a year, hoping my problems were over. About 9-12 months later, and a lot of life stresses, my cystic acne was back.

It occurs all along my jawline. At any time I could have 3-4 deep cysts, the type that take a couple months to go away. Along with that, a variety of less-extreme zits along my jawline, chin and lower cheeks. As anyone who has experienced this knows, it is terrible. I am also a chronic face-picker, which obviously doesn't make things better.

I first read about using Calamine lotion on an acne board and decided to try it before going back on Spironolactone. I slathered it on at night, using a pretty thick layer of it all over my face. I woke up the next morning and my skin felt amazing. It was as if it sped up healing time 10x. My skin tone was more even, the redness had faded in general and on spots, and my existing pimples had shrunk. I have never experienced such a noticeable change so quickly.

I used it religiously every night as a mask for a few weeks and my skin was so much better. I got distracted and stopped using it as often, and my skin did return to a bit of chaos. But last night I used it again, and the most stubborn cyst I have ever had, the kind that would never come to a head and was just a hard bruised nodule, came to a head the next morning. It really does dry and pull out gunk. If I have a bad episode of skin picking, I will put on the lotion after and let it sit, and I can usually rinse it off an hour or so later and be ready to apply makeup and go out. Before I would be stuck at home with horribly agitated skin.

So long story short, it is well worth trying. I don't know if it prevents acne, it certainly seemed to, but it definitely kills current acne. I've tried $1,000+ worth of treatments, nothing else was as reliably effective and so quick. And so dang cheap, I feel silly for wasting all that money.

It can be quite drying, so I do moisturize a lot. I also wash with an oil-cleanser which helps. If it is too drying for you to use as an all-over mask I would suggest spot-treating with it.

on 1/13/2016 2:14:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm so happy I've discovered this but at the same time so freaking mad thinking of all the companies out there that have people with high hopes of curing their acne, wasting money on every 'new' acne treatment these companies come out with, and ZERO of their products comes close to this lotion. A LOTION THAT ISN'T EVEN MADE FOR ACNE!!! It is drying so use lotion if necessary but other than that it's great. It actually dries out the acne which shrinks it and works better than that stupid popped pimple relief drying paste from clean& clear. But don't get me wrong, I've tried every drug store brand and even pro activ.. All of it sucked. Panoxyl 10% benzoyl peroxide wash and this is my ultimate power couple for curing my problem!!!!