4.5

Active Ingredients: Calamine (6.971%) (skin protectant), Zinc Oxide (6.971%) (skin protectant) Inactive Ingredients: Bentonite, Calcium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Water (Purified)

Works for some spots, not for others. I find it is ineffective on my deep cysts but on smaller acne it helps clear it. Definitely worth the buy. I also use this under makeup to hide the redness of the cyst ( normal makeup doesn’t cover them for long and I’m not a fan of heavy makeup while I’m breaking out) so I’m not longer worried that there’s going to be big red beacons on my chin and forehead. I rated packaging 2 because the one I buy comes in a large glass bottle I have to use my own plastic travel bottles for it.

on 9/29/2017 11:04:00 AM

LONG READ! - During my 26 years of life, I have struggled with my skin on many levels. I am writing this review because I truly hope I can help someone feel better about their skin by using this.

My skin is fair in complexion, very oily on my nose, moderately oily on my forehead and just minimally oily on my chin, but normal to dry on my cheeks - so basically combination skin in extremes. I am prone to clogged pores when i try most new products which leads to white heads, which then leads to me picking the buggers and being left with red, scabbed skin which is OH SO pleasant to deal with when wearing makeup the next day. I am sure that I am not alone when I say that after having extracted pimples and going to sleep, my face is so red I sincerely dread waking up in the morning and trying to cover it up. It just feels shitty knowing you have to deal with that in the morning (cue the violins please).

Moving onto my best friend, Calamine Lotion. I one day stumbled upon this gem reading a review on acne.org - they said it was effective in reducing redness, clearing pimples, and it was cheap. I am somewhat addicted to trying new things, and I thought - what the hell... sounds pretty decent. I put the calamine lotion on my face that night, and left it on for a few hours, washed it off and woke up the next morning with noticeably calmer skin, even the pimples that were picked before were too. I remember being in shock thinking to myself - wtf!!! this actually worked???

When applying this as a mask, because it has bentonite clay as a main ingredient, it will definitely pull whatever gunk you have to the surface be it oils and congestion. So on this note I do advise to not to blame this if you get a pimple or two the next day, its bringing the dirt to the surface and they will be gone shortly.

Freshly popped pimple - if you know you popped the living shit out of your pimple and there is no life left, put this on for an hour or two, and once this is removed your little friend will be significantly flatter, less irritated, and on its way to healing.

I have used this as a primer before, however, it only looks good for a few hours until it starts to get cakey and patchy. As i said, it brings out the oils and they then sit on your face under the makeup. Some people have used this in conjunction with their liquid foundation and said it looked good, I haven't tried that method.

I like to keep mine in the fridge and apply this with either a cotton pad if i want a thick layer, or a fan brush for a more thin layer. (thinner the layer the better as it is able to dry and while drying pull gunk more effectively to the surface).

In the past I have slept with this on at night, but find that it should only be a thin layer so the skin can breath a little and I would only suggest this if you have a sunburn or have really irritated your skin from something else. Sleeping with this I have found clogs pores (DUH Adrienne....) so best to keep it on as a mask.

Hope any of this helps anyone!

on 5/9/2017 2:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Calamine lotion is a basic zinc oxide coloured with ferric oxide. It has a mild drying action on the skin.This review is for pure Calamine lotion, not CaladRYL. People have been using Calamine lotion for years to relieve itchiness from chicken pox, eczema, rashes, poison ivy, poison sumac and poison oak. HIstorical medical records from as early as 1500 BCE show Calamine lotion being used as a skin treatment! Many acne medications include calamine. My kids and I find Calamine Lotion to be the best medicine for soothing cystic acne and mosquito bites. In acne "drying lotions", Calamine shrinks the affected tissue and soothes itching, allowing the active ingredients (alcohol/sulfur/salicylic acid, etc.) to effectively dry out cysts or bites.

The treatment called Caladryl is Calamine lotion with an antihistimine (Diphenhydramine). Caladryl = Calamine + Benadryl.

Some treatments for sensitive skin/acne that include calamine: Mario Badescu Drying Lotion, LUSH Fresh Farmacy, Indie Lee Blemish Lotion, LUSH Aqua Marina, Lacto Calamine.

on 3/29/2017 11:30:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Please read!

Folks, please be advised- this product review listing on MUA was created for calamine lotion - NOT Caladryl!!!! These are two completely different products and confusing them could be dangerous to your skin.

If you are looking for calamine lotion (popular for face primer) buy only calamine lotion - thats exactly how its listed at the store. Calamine lotion is nothing more than zinc + ferric oxide + clay + calcium hydroxide (lime) - those are the only true "active/inactive" ingredients. Its an actual lotion. Calamine lotion does NOT come in a clear form.

Caladryl and Caladryl clear are calamine PLUS an antihistamine!! It has a topical analgesic to numb pain and swelling. You do not want to slather this as a primer for your face. I'm not sure if caladryl is what folks are spot treating for acne - it may work - but just be aware that in the reviews below- its clear that some ppl are getting confused as to what product was originally being used for this entry. Look at the ingredient list for this; it shouldnt have HCl as an active ingredient!!!

I looked back at the very first entry/entries for this listing - the reviewers specifically mention plain calamine lotion and to NOT get it confused with Caladryl/Caladryl clear!! To put it simply, calamine lotion is quite basic - its zinc with clay. Caladryl has actual medicine in it, like Benadryl does to take down an allergic reaction (both end in -dryl). Please make sure you are using the right product!!! The main cover photo is misleading - its not the same thing.

I plan to try calamine lotion for my oily skin to see if it helps. NOT Caladryl.

on 2/19/2017 11:18:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I have no idea why they aren't marketing this as an acne treatment. This stuff is INCREDIBLE at clearing up acne.
I had severe acne, hormonal cystic on my jawline and regular acne pretty much everywhere else on my face. I tried pretty much every acne soap & treatment they had at the drugstore and nothing worked, I started googling alternative treatments and found this and it's saved my life. I slather it all over my face every night, it's very drying but I when I wake up I just wash it off and put on moisturizer and my skin feels great. Once it starts working you can probably use it less frequently or use it as a spot treatment.
Oh ya, bonus: It also helps fade the scars from the acne and reduces redness. What. The. Heck.

on 5/9/2017 2:45:00 PM

I saw that this said it was a drying lotion and that the medical ingredient was zinc. I thought this would be a great spot treatment AND IT IS even for blind pimples (under the skin) it isn't over drying and still helps draw out all the crap. its cheap and easy to find

I WILL FOREVER BUY THIS! Honestly it's one of those things that you always need to have. This helps with hormonal and cystic acne incredibly well, honestly it even helps with an allergic reaction you might've gotten from a product. I don't apply this stuff every night, I apply it when I need it. I leave it on as a spot treatment over night, or if I feel like my a side of my face has break outs I'll use it at night and in the day for a few days. you don't want to get your skin used to using this everyday, I feel like it won't be as effective.

I have to say that I tried using diaper cream (I tried Desitin and a Costa Rican brand called "Pañalito"
) Desitin did nothing and Pañalito kinda helped to keep the pimple the same size.

I later bought zinc oxide powder and I mixed it with Apple Cider Vinegar, it helped more than the diaper rash creams but still the pimples were talking ages to be removed and I started getting more pimples.

I finally decided purchasing calamine (I bought the one with least additives) and that's been a very good purchase! It removed all of my hormonal cysts in 3 days (I take that as a triumph!). What I do now is that I take a q-tip and put small little drops wherever I need it, leave it overnight and wash it off in the morning. Regarding makeup, what I do is that I don't put foundation every day because now I just have redness because of the pimples that are gone so I put a dot of calamine where I need it and then I cover with a dot of bb cream (This is going to sound strange but I've had light freckles since always so if I find that the dot of bb cream+calamine is too light, I make a dot with a taupe eyebrow pencil close so that the attention is drawn to the freckle, of course blend it well).

My routine (morning and night):
1. remove makeup if I wear it.
2. wash my face with an oatmeal soap.
3. use my DIY toner (Apple cider vinegar, brewed green tea and 2 drops of tea tree oil)
4. apply moisturizer (I've used for 2 years the St. Ives timeless skin, I use it under my eyes too). I add 3 drops of argan oil and 2 drops of tea tree oil to the moisturizer every time I buy it.
5. Apply a small drop of calamine only on the places I need it.
(once a week I put a clay mask at night)

And that's it!

These are other things that have helped me so much:
1. watch your stress levels, try to remain as calmed as possible or look for ways to relax you.
2. watch what you eat. I found out a year ago that milk is a trigger for me, so I avoid it at all cost. Eat more natural food (more vitamin C is great), avoid greasy food.
3. drink water.
4. exercise. I just do a 20 min routine (I do it mainly to keep my brain active during the day because I have to study a lot)
5. watch what you put on your face. Try to memorize or recognize comedogenic ingredients if you can. You will avoid buying something that you'll regret.
6. Less is more (let your skin breathe) and don't be aggressive with your skin.
7. watch the supplements that you're taking. Research about them so you can know the pros and cons. (I only take a pill of cod liver oil per day)
8. take care of what you put in your hair, specially if you have your hair in your face.
9. Face map: I don't know how true this is, but it has helped me to be more conscious not only about skin, but about my whole body.
10. research, research, research!. You don't have to become a scientist, but be sure to read more about what you're going to put in your face, specially if you decide to do something that has been advised from a youtube video or somewhere else, look for reviews, pros, cons, look for what's been discovered or researched about the ingredients. Knowledge is power, people!.

So, this is all I've changed, I had to learn it by myself, the dermatologist that I visited a year ago never told me anything of this (except for the water part). I really hope I can help somebody. Please bare in mind that everyone is different, so if nothing works, please visit an specialist.

***Edit (12/25/16)***
The 5th step of my routine has changed:

I found out that if I add 5 to 10 drops of tea tree oil (maybe more). The calamine feels way more refreshing and I barely have pimples now, maybe 2 per month, and they're made because I consume diary or because of my period.

What I do is that before applying makeup, I mix moisturizer (same as listed before) with calamine, apply it to the whole face, let it dry and then use makeup.

It has given me several benefits:
1. You need less foundation because it evens out your skin color considerably and the face gets less oily.
2. Sunscreen.

Don't recommend wearing calamine 24/7 in your whole face because your skin needs to breathe, what I do is that I use it 6 days of the week in the morning and let my skin breathe 1 day. At night, I wash it off and use as spot treatments either drops of the same calamine or a salt paste (I use sea salt + apple cider vinegar) both of them I leave them overnight and then remove them in the morning.

Still following the same advises that I provided previously and try not to wear heavy foundations always, I'd recommend BB creams (I use a korean one that has a lot of coverage), I use it as concealer mainly because the calamine reduces the redness and it gives a matte effect for a while. I'd recommend anyone to use calamine with tea tree oil!

on 1/12/2017 5:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

very good product to get your skin back on track. and useful for rashes. I started using for my rash and can't stop using it now, it gives me a beautiful glow.

on 7/22/2016 11:30:00 AM

Calamine lotion has been around for years. I have used it for everything from mosquito bites to poison sumac to poison ivy and with always incredibly positive results: It calms down angry,inflamed and itchy skin conditions and seems to draw out impurities much like clay masks do.
I had no idea people use it for cosmetic reasons but if it works for that purpose,more power to you.
Truly a multi- task product!