St. Moriz Self Tanner Mousse

St. Moriz Self Tanner Mousse
St. Moriz Self Tanner MousseSt. Moriz Self Tanner MousseSt. Moriz Self Tanner Mousse

4.1

Aqua (Water), Dihydroxyacetone, Propylene Glycol, Ethoxydiglycol, Polysorbate 20, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Parfun (Fragrance), Citric Acid, 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1, 3-Diol, Coumarin, Citronellol, Alpha-isomethyl Ionone, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Eugenol, CI 16035 (Red40), CI 19140 (Yellow 5), CI 42090 (Blue 1)

on 4/24/2017 2:13:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this tanner because of its cheap price and the fact that it got some pretty great reviews overall. It wasn't going to set me back to try it, so I ordered. I am not new to self tanners and have tried some pretty great ones as well as some not so great ones. I exfoliate the crap out of my skin and apply after I've freshly showered and been dry for atleast an hour. I do not moisturize beforehand, aside from my hands, ankles, knees and feet. This tanner goes on nicely, as the mousse is sort of fluffy and spreads effortlessly. I immediately notice the deep bronze color once applied, which is usually a good thing. But the problem I've found is that the color guard is very weak. Meaning when I shower in the morning or whenever I am ready to rinse the guard off, hardly any comes off of my body. At first I thought that may equate to a longer lasting, darker tan. Yes, it is dark. Dark for my medium to light-medium olive skin. And it looks good the first day. But by day two and three, the tan begins to fade off in the worst way. That is my biggest complaint. My theory is that because this lacks a good guard, so much of it is absorbed into your skin immediately upon initial application that it can't gradually develop over the course of 6 or 8 hours and in turn fades drastically by day 2 or 3 in a very noticeable way. For a self tanner to be good, rule number one is that it can not leave dry, crusty looking dark patches around an area on my skin where the tan is fading. It must fade gradually and seamlessly. This will pill up and come off in flakes if your skin is damp and your pores have opened after a shower. I mean, like your body will be covered in dark flaky skin bits after towel drying. So much so that you may need to rerinse to get it all off. I gave it 2 stars for the texture and color. You get what you pay for and even though it's very affordable, I wouldn't waste my money or time on it again.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I can honestly say I am a self tanner addict. Been using self tanners for at least 15 years. I've used St. Tropez, Fake bake, Sunlabs, etc. This product is by far one of y favorite. I love how dark it makes me. I will always buy this until I can no longer get my hands on it.

Coming from someone who had lupus and is "light sensitive" and can no longer use tanning booths/beds. This gives you that sun kissed glow without looking orange or streaky.

Price point is nice. Color is dark and looks amazing!

on 3/18/2017 3:48:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

*Unfortunately, I cannot compare this with any other tanning product, as the only other tanning products I have used are gradual tanners.*

Price - I'm from the UK, and I personally buy this from Body Care, for £2.99, as until recently, it was one of the few stockists, but it is now widely available online and in many stores, including Tesco! I also buy the mitt from Body Care.

Application - I have been using St. Moriz on and off for many years now, but only in the last few months have I tried the mousse, as I used to use the lotion. Compared to the lotion, the mousse is so much easier to apply, as there is a lot more blending involved with the lotion, which can end up streaky - overall the mousse is just a much more pleasant experience. As with all self-tanners, it is important to exfoliate and shave, and to moisturize the joint and bony areas of the body prior to applying, to ensure an even coverage, to prevent it clinging to dry patches, and from sinking in to fleshy, folded areas. I use a latex glove under the mitt, as the product does seep through the mitt onto the skin. I like to ensure that my pores have closed, and my skin is completely dry before applying, so about 30 mins after showering, I apply the product one layer at a time, on to one body part at a time (i.e. calves, then move on to thighs, then stomach and so on), and when the first layer has been applied to all body parts, I then apply a second layer, using the same technique. I feel that it is important to apply the second layer in a relatively short space of time after the first, as if I was to apply the second layer 1 hour after the first, for example, the product would start to pill. I apply the tan at night, sleep, and then rinse off in the morning, so it is probably on my skin for about 9 hours, even though it recommends 6 hours. I do not think that leaving it on for those extra 3 hours deepens the shade, nor extends the tan life.

Smell - On first instance, and during development, the smell is typical of self-tanners, but not as pungent as gradual tanners, which I truly cannot stand (I loved the colour of the Dove gradual tan, but I stopped using it after first use because the smell made me feel sick) but does disappear after rinsing.

Colour - I have only tried the medium shade, and the colour initially applies quite green/orange, but develops into a more red/golden shade.

Longevity - I shower every day, so I can only get about 2-3 days out of this before it starts to fade.

Overall - I have given this 4 lippies, as I don't get much wear out of it before it starts to fade. I think that the price probably reflects the longevity, and a higher priced fake tan would probably last longer on my skin, but honestly, the price is so good, with a good volume of product, that I am not too bothered about it. It just takes more time out of m life to exfoliate it off and reapply. If you're on a budget (or not), give it a try!

However, I have mixed this with the Garnier Summer Body Gradual Tanner (actually mixing it in the glove then applying to the skin), which makes the St. Moriz last a little bit longer, but does change the undertone from red/golden to a more orange shade. See my review on Garnier Summer Body.

Also, I find the colour infuriating to match to a foundation! I am naturally between a Mac NC15 and NC20. If there was an NC17 shade, I think this would be perfect for me. I have a very naturally yellow undertone, and Revlon Colorstay 150 Buff is the colour I use every day without fake tan. I love Revlon Colorstay, as I have very oily skin, but I cannot find a perfect match for the St. Moriz tan!! And no other foundation that I can be bothered spending money on testing out matches the colour :( If anyone can match this tan to Revlon Colorstay, or a foundation that works as well as Colorstay, please please let me know!!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I may just have very difficult skin because this is the second self tanner I've tried where I've had to apply two layers and it still didn't darken that much. When a bottle says "dark" I expect a lot darker than a mild bronze. I am originally very fair, though, and this tanner does not look orange or unnatural. Therefore it's a huge improvement compared to the few others I've tried! Just don't expect to turn into a deep olive skinned goddess... it made me 4 shades darker, max, with an overnight application and another 6 hour application after I rinsed off. It's still a pretty color but I guess if I really want a "dark" (like two week vacation on the beach dark) tan I'm not going to get it from a bottle. I look like I spent the day at the beach or the weekend at the pool.

This product is affordable and non-streaky. People say to apply with a tanning mitt but honestly I did the second application with disposable latex gloves and I think it turned out better, plus I feel like the mitt soaks up a lot of product (what a waste) and keeps you from getting darker. As long as you're careful and use less product and really work it in to your skin until it dries. Overall I think this is the best cheap tanning mousse on the market! Oh, it doesn't smell bad either.

The only reason it didn't get 5 stars is because I personally expected a much darker result. It did make my legs look great, though! The color grabbed on better than other self tanners I've tried. However my other "problem area", my breasts, are still pretty pale.

on 12/20/2016 4:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

My fave tan by far! I can get a large bottle of this for about NZD$11 which is probably the best priced fake tan I can find anywhere in NZ, and considering it's the BEST fake tan I've ever used that is fantastic. I apply this with me Le Tan mitt. The mousse comes out evenly and has instant colour in it so you can see where you have applied it. A little goes a long way, it's very easy to blend. This is probably the least 'smelly' tan I've come across as well. Once it dries, which is also very quick, maybe 5 minutes max, the smell is hardly detectable but it's not that bad to begin with. I've found this doesn't transfer at all once it's dried so I don't have to worry about staining my clothes or sheets. The quick dry time is great for Summer so it doesnt leave you feeling sticky. I wish they had an ultra dark version as to get my desired level I have to tan twice, but it's worth it, an even BROWN tan, not orange at all and it lasts a good week before I have to scrub it all off. The only thing that lets it down is how it fades, it does the "reptile" skin fade, unlike the Le Tan one which fades naturally, but other than that it's amazing. And everything that the HORRIBLE Bondi Sands is not (I have a review and it's not good).

on 10/12/2016 10:01:00 AM

I have used this for a month now and I don't see how anyone could not love this product. 1. I love the tan this gives me, very natural looking. 2. The smell doesn't bother me. I can see how it would bother someone, but for me it wasn't so bad. 3. It does not fade blotchy or spotty. I think it fades great. 4. The price and packaging is perfectly fine and I see no problems with either. I will continue purchasing!!!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

After many years of trying out every different type of tanners on the market, mousses, creams, gels, sprays, tinted moisturisers this is by far the best one ever!

First off the price is fantastic! In the Netherlands its about €7,50 (about $8,50USD)

I decided on the darkest colour in the mousse form. I wouldn't say I'm very tanned naturally but also not extremely white. Somewhere in between... The colour is a very natural brown and doesnt turn out orange at all. The guide colour has almost a green tinge to it which counteracts the orange. After about 4 hours you have to shower to remove the guide colour which will make you slightly lighter than what the original application colour was, but its ever so slightly that i don't really notice it.

For me the biggest positive of this tanner is that it fades naturally. With other tanners i always got weird white patches where the dead skin would scrub off and leave me patchy after about 5 days. This just fades naturally without becoming patchy. I also love that you can apply it easily without it drying to quickly and becoming streaky.

All in all i havent really got anything negative to say about this product other than i wish it would stay a bit longer than about 6-7 days. OH! And the bottle lasts forever! I get about 10 applications from it! I remember a while ago i bought an expensive australian brand mousse and it lasted me only 2 applications! This is so worth your money!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this self-tan while I was living abroad (knowing fully well the hype over it) and it came in a two full-size bottle (one medium and one dark) pack for 5 euros. Insane deal! You get one bottle of any other tanning mousse in the US anywhere between $6-$12! And now that I'm back in the states, I'm having a hard time finding it online for less than $12 after shipping. But it is worth ordering.

The color is also amazing- it goes on kind of green, which makes it look completely natural when you wash it off! I also use it on my face (which is kind of amusing given the color.) Honestly, I use rubber gloves to apply it. I feel like mitts absorb/waste too much product but I also wouldn't risk putting this one without something covering your hands!

You will definitely only want to wear it to bed. (I don't really get why girls would want to wear a developing tanner out though, anyways, because tanners just smell and rub off on things...) This smell of this particular tanner isn't bad though. You mostly just smell in the morning and it washes away.

It lasts about 3-4 days, which I wouldn't mind if I were buying it at the euro prices but at home it means I save this tanner before special events or use it only for the most visible parts (face and arms) and use another self-tan for everywhere else. Great product though. I recommend it.

on 7/6/2016 1:15:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

The short review of this product is: it's great for the price, but if you can afford higher end tanners, stick with those.

Now for the details. The good: I am extremely cool-toned, so when I use fake tanners with a hint of orange in them it looks very unnatural. This tanner has a beautiful olive tint- when it comes out of the bottle it is dark green and develops to a natural, deep olive. It is also the cheapest foam tanner I have found on the market. I have a lot of cream/lotion tanners that I enjoy, but foam is by far the quickest and easiest to apply without being streaky. You get a ton of product as well. The foam dries quickly and doesn't stay sticky, and once it develops the color doesn't just wash off with a shower. It also has almost no smell.

The bad: This tan does not last long at all. I can get about 3-4 days before it looks patchy. It's nice that the bottle comes with so much product because you need to reapply this often. When applying, the foam dries extremely quickly- when drying, it maintains a slightly rubbery texture that makes it hard to get on completely evenly. Because of this, it takes a lot of practice to get this tanner to be completely even. It also leaves a green color to your skin before the tan develops, so I would only use this at night.

Because of the cost, I will continue to buy this because I just can't afford $50 for a similar product. It's good enough to keep using, but just be aware of the negatives and decide if the cost difference is worth it.

on 1/31/2016 5:53:00 PM

The fake smell of freshly painted floor- simply cannot take it. For the cheap price you pay quality is indeed good however you cannot apply this without the mitt. People who compare this to St Tropez- you cannot really compare those. St tropez is another level. It smells amazing, i apply this like foundation and don't need special mitt. So if you can pay more- get st tropez but if you are on budget- i guess St Moritz is nr 1 on the market:) it applies pretty smooth, color is on the fine line of being natural and in general you if you can handle the smell- you will like this staff:)