OPI Nail Envy - Original

OPI Nail Envy - Original

4.1

Ethyl Acetate, Butyl Acetate, Nitrocellulose, Propyl Acetate, Tosylamide Formaldehyde Resin, Isopropyl Alcohol, Triphenyl Phosphate, Trimethyl Pentanyl Diisobutyrate, Butyl Alcohol, Formaldehyde, Stearalkonium Bentonite, Camphor, Diacetone Alcohol, Ethyl Tosylamide, Benzophenone 1, Citric Acid, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Dimethicone, Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Violet 2 (CI 60725), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

I personally love this product. I have used every strengthened known to man on my poor, soft, thin, weak and just down right crappy nails and Nail Envy is my fairy godmother. I have read a lot of reviews about how it did nothing for some people and I think that may possibly be from using it incorrectly??
You need to religiously apply this treatment every second day for a week, then remove and start again. You will probably start seeing results within your second week.
Be brave, as it is a clear treatment so if you're like me, it's initially very hard to wrap your head around bare nails for all this time but I promise, it will be so worth it.
I have probably bought over a dozen bottles of this stuff (including the color variations) and I will continue to do so because this, a little cuticle oil and some hand cream = fabulous nails!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I find it extremely difficult to grow my nails. I naturally have soft, thin, weak, bendy nails which crack at the sides on the nail bed (painful) split and break off. I use nail strengtheners and when things get bad I reinforce and repair the weaker nails with silk wraps.

Don't fall for the hype, unless you have pots of money to waste and love the brand. Performance is average and its not as healthy or as easy to use as other brands.

- Thicker formula takes much longer to dry than other strengtheners and slows down the overall drying time as well.. Adds an extra 10 minutes to my routine :(

- Takes longer to apply than other brands. Brush is too round and doesn't fan out properly. It gloops too much product near the sides and is hard to place evenly near the cuticles.

- Contains Camphor. One of the "big nasty" chemicals that almost every other brand has managed to remove.

- Contains wheat protein, good for many people but best avoided if you're sensitive to gluten (at the very least, leave a gap so it doesn't come in contact with your cuticles and don't put your fingers in your mouth for any reason)

- Overpriced for what it does. US $40 in my country, or $20 for older expiring bottles online.

I've got this as a gift and was happy to use it as it works adequate. I will buy a cheaper brand when its finished. Like Sally Hansen, Essie ect. Basically any standard nail strengthener containing the ingredient "formaldehyde resin" or "Tosylamide resin" will harden the nails. Great for hardening soft, bendy nails, but if you already have hard nails skip this ingredient and look for moisturising or maintenance formulas. (Resin makes already hard nails TOO hard. Makes them dry, brittle and then they start chipping and snapping off)

To Read all 408 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

As a reformed nail biter (slaps wrist) I needed help to grow my nails. They were so brittle and weak, that they'd snap as soon as I managed to grow them to a neat and paintable length. Say hello to one of my beauty must-haves; Nail Envy - this classic formula was the one that first added strength to my nails and helped me grow my nails. You simply paint a layer of it on your nails every other day, and the formula strengthens nails, plus I think that it helps my nails grow a bit faster too.

Once your nails are stronger and longer [about three weeks for me], you don't throw this into a drawer and forget about it, oh no. Day to day lifting, carrying, cooking, and cleaning means that your nails will never stop needing that protective barrier. This is perfect to use alone for a glossy finish, but my favourite way to wear it is as a base coat - I've found it to prevent any staining after I used dark polish.

I've tried out loads of different topcoats, from every price range, over the years, with varying degrees of success. One day I used my Nail Envy (the bottle was within reach, whilst my usual topcoat was in a drawer). The formula does not affect the colour of my polish, adds a nice shine, and my mani lasted for four days chip free (I use a self powered wheelchair). For me, this is a great result.

When I first saw the price I thought that Nail Envy was expensive to the point of being overpriced, but when I considered that not only is it a highly effective strengthener, but it also makes a very good basecoat and topcoat, all in one product, then the price becomes very reasonable. I've gone through half a dozen bottles over the years, and will continue to buy it as - although OPI are prone to messing around with their classic product formulas - Nail Envy is as great as it was the first time I used it.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Yep, worth it.

I have had very average nails all my life (moderately strong and moderately fast growing, but would suffer damage/breakage from hard impact). I typically kept them short, i.e. a few mm above the finger, because any longer than that, I would be risking unsightly unevenness from breakage. I have now quit dairy and my poor nails have been peeling and breaking uncontrollably, and are unusually thin, with much slower growth :(

I have had bad luck with nail strengtheners from other brands, so I just don't think highly of strengtheners as a concept. The reviews here and elsewhere had me thinking this product would work MIRACLES.

I would say that Nail Envy is a strengthener that does the job. It is not miraculous, and my nails are not hard as nails (ha ha), but it has restored my nails to a moderate strength (I can tap them on a table without damage) and has helped me retain length (now approaching a full cm above the finger, they're almost too long for me).

When I follow the instructions (2 coats at the wknd and then a coat every other day for a week), they end up TOO hard, that is, they won't bend at all, meaning they can crack from impact. I find that the best regime for me has been to apply 2 coats at the weekend of both Nail Envy and my colour polish (in that order), and then one coat of each on Wednesday (in reverse order), and then re-do at the weekend. This gives me sturdy but flexible nails, i.e. not abnormally hard or brittle.

MAKE SURE you apply a swipe across the rim of the nail if peeling is a problem for you. This REALLY helps!

Overall, the best strengthener I've tried, mainly because the others did exactly NOTHING for me haha

p.s. The OPI brush is the best brush in the game.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

Meh. Nail Envy is near universally loved, so when I got a mini OPI set that included this, I figured I would try it. My nails were historically very strong and still grow very fast even in my early-to-mid 20s, but they began peeling within the past couple years. Maybe they just needed a little strengthener once in awhile, I figured. Using Nail Envy as a base coat shouldn't hurt.

Well... it didn't hurt my nails, but I don't feel that they've helped either. I've had peeling that caused my nail color to chip faster while wearing this. Right now in particular my left middle finger is in shambles on one side, with more peeling threatening to lift up.

Anyone that uses it as a base coat should also note that since it's not a protective base coat, this does not protect nails from staining. I've gotten yellow nails every time I've removed this. I expected it, but still. If staining is a no-no for you, I'll recommend looking for something else or wearing another base coat on top.

As for my non-free edge, I don't think the nail envy has helped with strengthening them either. If there is a strengthening effect, it's more "meh" than anything. I think it helped after a really bad gel picking session, but with regular nail polish no. The wear time was average as well.

Overall, the best way to describe my experience with this really is "meh." For those that it worked wonderful for, fantastic. But I'm certainly not one of them. I'll use up my bottle to see how many uses I can get from the mini (five manicures so far and it's about 1/5th of the way down at 1 coat per finger), but otherwise a repurchase is not in my future.

on 6/13/2016 11:17:00 PM

After reading so many good reviews & seeing it in other people's nail routines I decided to buy opi nail envy but I ended up very disappointed. I used it for alittle over a month & it did NOTHING for my weak nails. My nails are already long, they're just very easy to bend. Definitely not worth the money & time in my opinion.

OMG!! This product is a basic human right for nail junkies like myself!

About two years ago I was addicted to painting myself and I could find myself doing it every-other day. This left my nails so yellow that I "couldn't" go without any color on them. In-between all of this I also got three acrylic manicures last year which would leave my nails horrible, but due to this amazing product my nails stayed super strong, healthy and pink! My nails are now so strong, long and amazing. My nails now grow so fast as well, as to before I had to wait at least three weeks for them to have a little length (now I never have short nails anymore).

If you're looking for something to rescue your damaged nails or just something to help them stay strong - BUY THIS PRODUCT! I've gone through probably 10 bottles and it is worth every cent!

on 4/23/2016 5:30:00 PM

I was excited about buying this product after reading multiple rave reviews. However, I found that it did almost nothing for my extremely weak nails. My nails have an awful habit of splitting at the sides or peeling, and this didn't really do much to help that. I would use this as a base coat to prevent color from staining my nails, but not much else.

I have probably bought every nail product on the market over the course of the last 30+ years (Yeah, I'm old :) ), and have spent tons of money on products that were nothing more than glorified nail polish.

OPI Nail Envy is the one product I've used that I can actually see working, and is the ONLY one that I will buy again.

I have bitten my nails all my life, and even when I don't bite them, they are thin and don't grow very quickly.

I slammed each thumbnail in car doors when I was younger (ah, life on a farm), and my thumb nails have always been bumpy, ridged, deformed, and frequently peeling from the nail bed.

After only 2 weeks of using OPI Nail Envy, I actually have visible fingernails on each finger. Even my problem thumb nails are not only growing, but are visibly more...well, normal. The peeling has completely stopped, and the bumps and lumps that have always been present are slowly going away!

I absolutely will buy this product again and again. I only wish I had tried it sooner!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This did not work for me. I did love the high shine it gave my nails though, so 2 lippies for that.

**If you have peeling, weak and soft thin nails then listen up!! Nailtiques Formula 2 Plus is the only thing that will work for you if Opi's Nail Envy did not.**

Popular Treatments