CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser

CeraVe  Hydrating Cleanser

3.7

Water, Glycerin, Behentrimonium Methosulfate/Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-11, Ceramide 1, Hyaluronic Acid, Cholesterol, Polyoxyl 40 Stearate, Glyceryl Monostearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 20, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phytosphingosine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum

This cleanser was recommended to me by my dermatologist and I'm glad I purchased it. Many people compare this to the Cetaphil cleanser but in all honesty I prefer the Cervae one over the Cetaphil (yes, I've used both.) I have combo/dry & acne prone skin and I haven't had any bad reactions/break outs while using this cleanser. I don't think I'll repurchase it once I finish it but for the time being it gets the job done.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

It's ok. I used this product for years before I told myself that it was time to move on. I really wanted to love this cleanser. It's very gentle but it didn't feel like it actually cleans my skin and in the long run, clogged my pores up pretty badly.

To Read all 618 Reviews, Login or Join

I don't love this product, but I would probably repurchase. I did find that I did not need a moisturizer after using this which saves me time, which is great. The bad thing about this though is when I do use a moisturizer after using this I did start to break out due to excessive moisture. I do suffer from eczema on my face and this made a noticeable difference on the eczema. I don't like the scent a whole lot, but it is something that goes away once you have washed the product off. This product also removed my makeup, which really surprised me because not a lot of the facial cleansers I have used have washed off my makeup. It also surprised me because a lot of the reviews on here say it doesn't remove their makeup. Today I did wear waterproof liquid eyeliner and I am quite curious as to see if it removes that. Despite the strange smell and the moisturizing problem, I think this is a great cleanser and probably would repurchase. I do prefer Clean and Clear over this just because this is a little bit on the pricier side. A lot of the time the Clean and Clear is sold out at my local Walgreens though, so if it is out of stock then I will repurchase.

on 7/4/2016 1:34:00 AM

I adore this cleanser. It doesn't leave my skin stripped and tight. It's gentle and packed with great ingredients that my skin loves. I believe it's one of the best cleansers at the drugstore, it's perfect for dry skin in particular. It has a creamy texture and doesn't foam up at all. I use it in the am alone and at night after I oil cleanse or use a cold cream. Alone it doesn't effectively remove makeup but this isn't a problem for me as I always double cleanse when I wear makeup. I'll definitely purchase again.

Pros:
Packaging is convenient and has a pump
The price is good especially when considering the amount of product you get
Great ingredients
Gentle, doesn't strip my skin
Caused zero irritation

Cons:
Doesn't remove all makeup if used alone

on 7/3/2016 1:14:00 PM

Products Used Up: 1

This is a very gentle cleanser, something that isn't usually enough for my skin. I used this with a microdermabrasion brush, but it just didn't do enough for my skin which requires something more abrasive. This also does not do a good job at removing makeup.

Something in it, maybe hyaluronic acid, makes my skin burn a little bit? I don't have any problems with this, but it doesn't wow me. I haven't tried the foaming cleanser, so when I run out of this I'll probably try it out. Overall, this is okay but not amazing. My skin isn't so dry that I feel the need to use something other than creams and the healing ointment around drier parts.

on 6/22/2016 4:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Despite its claims, this just didn't sit right with my skin. I always felt a very mild heat/irritation. Every skin is different - so by all means try it (sample size) - it may work great for you. For me personally, my HG cleansers are LA Roche Posay Toleriane Dermo Cleanser & Simple Micellar Water.

on 6/20/2016 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

It took me years of higher end product lines to realize that sometimes basic is best. I am loving this cleanser. I have only been using it a month or so, but it does what I need it to without causing any problems. I use Bioderma Micellular water to remove makeup, and then this gentle cleanser cleanses my skin without stripping. I don't feel that it leaves a film, nor does it do anything magical. A smaller version would be nice for travel, but transferring to smaller containers is not a huge deal. I find it very difficult to find a basic cleanser that won't treat acne or strip skin, but also one that won't clog pores or cause a film. This one fits the bill. I have tried Toleraine Dermo and Toleraine Foaming Cleansers from La Roche Posay which didn't strip my skin, but caused continual clogged pores. CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser is perfect for my sensitive, combination, acne-prone skin. I am able to use my 2.5% BP gel twice a day without having to worry about my cleanser adding irritation. This is definitely a winner for a basic, no frills, gentle and effective cleanser.

on 6/11/2016 6:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I am very confused by this product. Its texture is almost exactly like the classic CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion, and the two share many of the same ingredients. When using as intended, a facial cleanser, it basically feels like I am smearing the body lotion on my face.

There is something in the cleanser that is irritating to my facial skin. Upon initial application, it feels soothing. However, as I massage it around to "cleanse", my skin starts to burn, especially around extra-sensitive areas like my nostrils. It rinses well, but I usually use a washcloth to remove cleansers, which I found to also work well with the CeraVe. This product does not have any foaming qualities, and is a bit of a let-down if foam is expected. After patting dry, my face actually feels a bit tight, almost as if the moisturizing properties had no effect at all.

Over a week's time, I found that CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser made my facial skin increasingly sensitive. It also did nothing to help keep my pores clear and minimized. If anything, it allowed more gunk to build up, making my pores look larger. I had a couple of red spots which went away easily, but getting the spots in the first place was not normal for me. I felt like my other products (BHA, AHA, Retin-A) did not work as well when using this cleanser. Also, since my face became more irritated by the cleanser, the AHA and Retin-A treatments burned too. Not good.

Since the product seems to be more like body lotion, I decided to try it on my arms. Voila--after rubbing it in, it absorbed well, leaving a velvety, non-greasy finish with a long-lasting moisture barrier. It is not as deeply hydrating as CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion, but sometimes lighter is better. I will continue to use the cleanser as a body lotion, and will probably not repurchase. I really can't recommend it at all, but since it does serve a dual purpose, it deserves a middle rating.

on 6/11/2016 2:42:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I normally use CeraVe foaming face wash but tried this when the store was out of my usual. I had winter dry skin so thought a hydrating cleanser might not be a bad idea. But I was wrong - even in the winter this gave me whiteheads and I had to discontinue using completely in the spring. Too hydrating for my combination skin I guess. It felt like trying to wash my face with moisturizer.