CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser

CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser
Hydrating CleanserHydrating Cleanser

3.8

Water, Glycerin, Behentrimonium Methosulfate/Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-11, Ceramide 1, Hyaluronic Acid, Cholesterol, Polyoxyl 40 Stearate, Glyceryl Monostearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 20, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phytosphingosine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum

on 12/9/2017 9:56:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I agree with what others have said they dislike about this cleanser: clinical packaging, doesn't remove makeup, pump clogs and squirts...however, here is what I like:
This is essentially a no frills product, it doesn't scream $$$$ or status on my sink. It has no scent, color or for me anything objectionable. Im good with that as I put my $$$$ elsewhere.
This is how I use this: I wash my m/u off with Vanicream cleanser bar. Yes, soap. This product is extremely gentle, unassuming and a dermatologist recommendation. I rinse then cleanse with 1-2 pumps Cerave. Then gently rinse with cool water. This may seem wasteful to double wash but for me it assures me my face and neck are clean and not stripped.
I understand some say this doesn't seen hydrating, it doesn't but then again it isn't stripping the mantle off your face.
In the morning I cleanse with this only to remove night products.
My skin is supple and clean.

on 12/9/2017 8:08:00 AM

I realize this is Holy Grail for a lot of women, but I don't understand why. It DOES NOT feel hydrating to me. This does not remove makeup at all so I use it after remover cloths or in the morning. The pump clogs easily and then the squirt is messy.
As I write this review I am reminding myself I should just give up and throw it out.

on 11/30/2017 1:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Hated this at first - thought the packaging looked too clinical and the product itself had the texture and slip of conditioner. I was convinced I was going to break out from it, but after 4 weeks of usage, I am so in love! I am currently using a skin-sensitizing prescription retinoid (Atralin) and this doesn't irritate my skin at all. I always use this with an oil cleanser in the evening to remove makeup, so I don't know how well it works on its own, but as a morning cleanser and second cleanse, it works really, really well. The initial price can seem high for a drugstore product, but there are coupons available online, and the 12 oz/ 355mL bottle will last me a long time, even with twice-daily usage.

HG material.

on 11/19/2017 3:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

This follows grape seed oil as my second cleanser in the PM. It’s gentle yet effective. I have acne prone skin that can become dehydrated if not cared for. This cleanser is perfect for cleansing while maintaining a healthy moisture barrier.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

This was my first CeraVe product. The first night I used this I just thought it felt like Cetaphil and didn't notice any adverse reactions but after the 2nd day I started breaking out on my face. I am almost 46 and my skin is dry and very sensitive. The only time my face breaks out is from a product I have used on my face or hair and this was one. Every Cerave product I have tried has broke me out so I just stopped using. I can't see using any of their products for sensitive skin.

on 11/6/2017 9:51:00 AM

I have extremely oily, sensitive, breakout-prone skin, and I am now on my 2nd year of full prescription-strength tretinoin gel (.1% of Retin A Micro). I discovered this cleanser about 7 years ago when my mom had laser treatment on her face to remove dark spots and her doctor told her to use this cleanser. I had been sent to buy it for her and I got one for me too. I discovered it was great for my oily skin too.

This is a great cleanser for:
- AM cleansing -- I wet my face with warm water, then massage this around my face with my fingers for 20 - 30 seconds.
- PM 2nd cleanser -- I remove my makeup with Neutrogena makeup remover wipe or another cleanser (see below), rinse it off, then I do a 2nd cleanse with this, massaging it around my face for 20 - 30 seconds.
- 1st step makeup remover, believe it or not, massaged into makeup without water, it works great! I wear hardcore waterproof mascara and this stuff actually loosens it up when not diluted with water. I splash with water once, then massage that around for a while too, then rinse off. And then I might remove whatever is left of my mascara, with oil-based waterproof eye makeup remover, then I follow with a second cleanse with this Cerave.

For 10 years or so, I had used the Alpha Hydrox Foaming Facial Cleanser both AM and PM, so I wasn't used to a non-foaming cleanser, even if I was totally impressed with it. So after I finished my first bottle of the Hydrating Cleanser, I tried the Cerave Foaming Cleanser and I found it to be too harsh for me, or something, because my skin did not react well to it. So I exchanged it for the Hydrating. For hot humid summers, I always keep around a bottle or tube of my favorite foaming cleanser just in case, so I currently have the Hada Labo Tokyo Hydrating Facial Cleanser for that. It's supposed to be very mild, but it is definitely less gentle and more stripping than the Cerave.

If you research this product, you will see that it does have a lot of skin-beneficial ingredients like ceramides, and many dermatologists recommend it. I honestly think it has a better formulation than the so-called cosmeceutical or high end brands, but with a much lower price tag and obviously less glam packaging, which is pretty much all about function with its pump and plain label. Until this year, Cerave was owned by Valeant which is a real pharmaceutical company that produces prescription medication like Retin A Micro (the superior microspheres gel formulation of the old Retin A cream). Hopefully L'Oreal which purchased Cerave will not mess with the formula.

on 10/8/2017 2:23:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

a nightmare for my very sensitive acne prone skin
My skin was hot, red and irritated and I also had breakouts after 2 uses...def not buy or use again

on 10/25/2017 12:30:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Not a bad cleanser, wouldn't say good either though. It doesn't exactly do what it's supposed to - clean. It seemed to leave traces of makeup and sunscreen behind. Doesn't remove eye makeup at all; i think plain water does a better job. It says to wet face with warm water, then apply the cleanser, but it seemed to clean better if you applied it first, massaged in, then rinsed off with lukewarm water. It goes on like a lotion, and also i wouldn't exactly say my face was "hydrated" after using it either. The worse part is, after i started incorporating glycolic acid into my skincare regimen, this cleanser actually started stinging and burning my face as soon as i applied it, and i'm not sure which ingredient was the culprit.

Liked how it did not dry out my sensitive tret treated skin. Loved that it was pH balanced and great price for a large amount of product. Very much DIDNT like that I finally tracked down the reason for a long cystic breakout to this product. May work well for others - unfortunately, though, not for me.

on 10/19/2017 12:17:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This cleanser would be good if it was more cleansing. For people who don't wear products on their face and just want to freshen up, this is a good product.