CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser

CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser
Hydrating CleanserHydrating Cleanser

3.8

Water, Glycerin, Behentrimonium Methosulfate/Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-11, Ceramide 1, Hyaluronic Acid, Cholesterol, Polyoxyl 40 Stearate, Glyceryl Monostearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 20, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phytosphingosine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum

on 6/14/2018 3:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

CeraVe has a good reputation in the dermatology world and thus, I got a free 1 oz. sample (normal to dry) which so far, is just fine. Slightly milky, seems to remove most of my makeup - and no scent, per se - perhaps a slight nuance of "chemical" scent/soapy scent. No issues so far.

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

Eyes: Violet

For majority of my life I've had combination skin. Earlier this year, my skin got really dry especially on my forehead and cheeks. Wherever I applied makeup, it was such a struggle because my skin was stripping and it looked really dry. Despite using layers of hydrating moisturizer, facial oil, and I got to the point where I was using Vaseline on the very dry areas. Though I did not see an immediate change, I stuck to using this face wash because it was so gentle and was suppose to help with the dry skin. Fast forward to today, my skin is no longer dry and stripping and my face doesn't have that tightness that it usually has when I wash my face and don't apply moisturizer immediately. Yes I break out occasionally, but my skin has improved tremendously to the point that some days I skip applying that layer of makeup when I'm running errands

Micellar water to remove makeup, rinse, then wash with this. I love it, definitely feels hydrating. Great for my sensitive skin with mild rosacea.

on 6/9/2018 11:08:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is probably my new HG cleanser. I've tried a LOT of cleansers since my early teens, and finally, finally, finally I have found one that seems to agree with my skin.

I bought this a couple months ago when my skin freaked out randomly and went from normal-to-dry to the Sahara almost overnight. (I have no clue why because I hadn't added or changed anything in my skincare routine at the time.) I had to ditch all the products that had been working for my sensitive, acne-prone skin and go on an epic quest to find stuff that didn't make my face breakout and/or feel like it was melting off. Enter this cleanser.

Honestly, I'm not completely in love with it, though. The reason for that is, for some reason, this makes my face feel warm when I use it. At first, it was almost uncomfortably warm, on the edge of "Ouch, this burns!" territory. It's not all over, just around the tops of my cheeks, which is where I tend to get the most dryness, but it's still not super pleasant. (My skin doesn't look red and irritated after using this, unlike my experience with a lot of other cleansers.)

Other than that, I really like it. I haven't broken out, my skin hasn't gotten dryer (and I feel like this really helped it bounce back from whatever happened that dried it out before), it does a good job getting my face clean without feeling tight and painful, and my face feels really nice after I wash it. I also like that, while it's a moisturizing cleanser, I don't feel any residue left over when I rinse it off. (That was a problem I had with the one other moisturizing cleanser I tried a few years ago.)

One thing I really like about the packaging (and this is becoming more popular, it seems, with products with a pump) is how the pump twists to lock or unlock. I keep this in the shower, usually, and sometimes stuff gets knocked over, and pumps have always ended up either breaking or kind of exploding all over the floor when that happens. Being able to close off the pump has saved me from a couple of potential disasters.

This is also kind of a giant bottle. I think it has more product than most other cleansers I've tried, so I imagine it's going to last me a long time, which is nice because CeraVe is a tiny bit pricey for drugstore products. Not horribly high, but high enough so I didn't buy them until they were my last resort.

For me, this is still the best cleanser I've ever used, and I'm happy enough with it to continue to purchase it unless I end up having an actual reaction at some point. I could probably find something I like more, but this is affordable, easy to find, and does the job without any real issues, so I'm satisfied with it.

on 5/29/2018 11:00:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

After trying the cleanser for normal to oily skin and HATING it, I gave this a go as per the recommendation of r/SkincareAddiction on Reddit. This is a million times better, even for my oily skin. Here's how I use it in my routine:
1. Coconut oil to remove makeup (on dry face)
2. Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash applied to help lift the coconut oil off my skin, gradually adding water and continuing to massage on my face for approx 45-60 sec before completely rinsing off
3. CeraVe hydrating cleanser, massaging for approx 1 min.

The consistency is like a milky/jelly cleanser and there is no fragrance. I like that it has ceramides and niacinamide. I wouldn't use this right after coconut oil, as it wouldn't feel like the oil and makeup were truly washed off. But it feels like steps 1 and 2 do that job, while the CeraVe is a nourishing cleanser that gently cleanses my pores a bit further.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I really, really wanted to love this cleanser, since so many people have recommended it as a great option for those with dry, sensitive skin. The very first time I used it, my skin started burning and itching! I thought that it couldn't possibly be the cleanser, so I tried it several more times. Each time, that same sensation happened, and my poor skin became very angry. Unfortunately, I had to chuck it away. The ingredients don't look irritating, so I am not sure why my skin reacted that way.

on 5/5/2018 5:35:00 PM

This isn’t my favorite cleanser because it doesn’t do a whole lot for the skin and doesn’t remove makeup, however I always go back to this cleanser when my skin is irritated, having a product reaction, or severe dryness. It’s a great simple cleanser and I definitely reccomend it to those who have sensitive/reactive skin.

on 5/2/2018 9:02:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Since I use Retin-A several nights a week, this cleanser is a perfect match for what my skin needs. This cleanser is for "sensitive and dry skin" but even with my oily skin, I find that it's exactly what my skin needs. I worried that this cleanser might be too emollient/rich for my oily skin, but it is light and rinses off without leaving a film behind. It's hydrating with hyaluronic acid and I feel it plumps up my skin. It calms my skin down and it does not leave it tight and stripped. It has no scent, which I totally appreciate. In Canada, this costs about $16 for a large pump container. It's a very good, high quality reliable basic!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Individually, this is most likely the worst cleanser I have used in my entire life. Why? There's a few hefty problems which have lead me to the conclusion that this cleanser is diabolical. One of them being: breakout city. This broke me out in painful cysts on my chin, and on the right side of my face within my t-zone. My other reason: it has a 'warming' feeling which feels irritating, this should not happen within a cleanser which claims to be for sensitive skin.

I wish this cleanser would have worked for me because the texture is perfect, but unfortunately, this is the worst cleanser I have ever used!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love the CeraVe line. I bought this cleanser this winter when my skin was feeling really dry and uneven due to the dry winter we have been having where I live. The cleanser is such a great value, almost 500 mL and a low price. You can also use this as a body wash. It cleanses gently and improved the feel of my skin after just one use. I also use their gel cleanser usually in the summer. You can't argue with such a great size cleanser for a low price.