Wen by Chaz Dean Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner

3.2

Not tested on animals

on 1/26/2007 3:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I really did'nt care for this at all. Maybe its my hair type and the hard water (alot of fine hair with very oily roots). My hair just does not feel clean. It is shinier but it has no bounce and looks stringy. And I swear I lose more hair when I use this (some said that on the QVC forums too) even if I use this as a leave-in (which did'nt do much for me either.) I don' think I could ever be a CO girl. I give it two lippies for the shine, but will not repurchase.

on 1/8/2007 1:54:00 PM

I bought WEN after seeing so many threads and rave reviews for this product on the QVC beauty forums. I was new to the concept of cleansing with a conditioner and this seemed like an intriguing concept. My hair did really improve with WEN. My hair looks dull and feels dry when I shampoo. With WEN, it is so much shinier, softer, and moisturized. However, since buying WEN, I learned that the concept of cleansing with a conditioner isn't new. People have been doing it for years using cheap drugstore brand conditioners such as Suave. I decided to buy a bottle of Suave to see if I could get the same results as I did with WEN. I did indeed get the exact same results using Suave. So while WEN is a good product, I won't be continuing to use it anymore because I can get the same exact results for a fraction of the price by using Suave. Another minus to WEN is that the pump stops working when you have only about 1/4 of the product remaining in the bottle. It becomes difficult to get the product out of the bottle because you can't sit it upside down due to the pump.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Smells great, but is so expensive. The menthol in it seems to irritate my scalp and I get build-up like crazy from it. Won't repurchase.

on 11/4/2006 5:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I really wanted to like this product...I got the discovery kit on qvc..but after using it a few times it made my hair feel like I washed it with conditioner alone. It looked like I didn't wash my hair in a couple of days and even felt like that! I tried using different amounts of pumps, but it didn't seem to make a difference. My hair is long, blonde (color treated) and I have to blow dry (and sometimes flat iron) to get it straight. The results I get from shampoo and conditioner are so much better. Needless to say, I sent the kit back.

on 10/26/2006 1:17:00 PM

The scent of this reminds me of Aveda, with an even heavier price tag. This did nothing in terms of anything special for my hair that a cheapy conditioner couldn't do and was not worth the astronomical price tag. Also, I needed a 1/4 of the $30 bottle for one wash. Won't repurchase.

on 10/23/2006 1:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I love this product, quite unexpectedly. A friend kept raving about it. I was skeptical that it would work for me, since she has coarse afriican hair and I have baby fine wavy hair, long, layered and prone to frizz. This friend was always telling me about how it's really bad to shampoo every day... which I'm sure is true, especially for dry hair and scalp, but my hair and scalp tend toward oily, so it just feels gross not washing my hair with shampoo (and usually clarifying ones, too,) every day. well, once i tried this product I changed my tune. I ordered a bottle from the web site and it was fairly pricey, but my friend promised to buy it from me if I didn't like it. Well, needless to say I do like it! When I use this my hair feels a lot healthier. Normally my hair is prone to breakage and I lose some hair every day in the shower just from running conditioner with my fingers down to the ends. Using wen cleansing conditioner, I lose a lot less hair, 'cause this product detangles instantly. No other products required. I thought the lack of lather would be too weird but I got used to it right away. This product has no harsh detergents so I wondered if it would get my hair clean, at all. It really does! It contains glycerin which I think does clean very gently. It even has a little 'squeak' to it when you rinse it out. My hair feels soft, not dirty or oily. And the best part... I don't need styling products after this! It's amazing, that this one product can take the place of shampoo, conditioner AND styling products. The smell is wonderful, too, light and minty, maybe vaguely similar to aveda rosemary mint, if I had to make a comparison. It's really worth trying, and now I'm going to order more, since I already used up most of the bottle, I want to try the cucumber aloe version. That;s the one thing, is that you do need a lot of product so it ends up being pricy. (I have long hair and use about 20 pumps a day.) But, it really is worth it since this product eliminates the need for so many other products, and really makes my hair look and feel great. TRY it! Edited to add: this does contain methylisothiazoline which is purportedly toxic. That won't stop me from using it but I was surprised to see that on the bottle.

on 7/24/2006 1:13:00 PM

If you are still searching for that perfect shampoo and conditioner, stop and read this first! This is the HG of hair care! You can give away all of your other shampoos and conditioners as this is the only line you will ever want to use again. I guess you can tell that I'm in love with this line.

Chaz Dean, a Hollywood stylist, concocted this gem in his kitchen several years ago and I had a chance to try it about a year ago. I've never had any luck with those combination shampoo/conditioners that are on the market and I was pretty skeptical about this one as well. I have long, layered, baby fine, color treated (red) hair and it will tangle if you look at it the wrong way. Enter Wen...I started with the original, Sweet Almond Mint which was designed for all hair types. I still find it is the best one for fine hair as it gives your hair the most body.

It's an unusual concept because there is no lather. It feels like you are washing your hair with conditioner. You use 12, 15 pumps, it depends on the thickness and length of your hair. These are small pumps and the product does last a long time. You put it on when you climb in the shower and let it work into your hair. Add a little water and a little more conditioner, if you need it, massage gently and wait until the end of your shower to rinse with COOL WATER. Add a pump or two as a leave in conditioner while your hair is still soaking wet...it's the best cure for the frizzies.

Chaz now offers Fig, Tea Tree and Cucumber Aloe. You can buy it on his website, chazdean.com or at QVC. You can make your own hair cocktail by mixing the different formulas together. I like to use the Fig as an overnight conditioner. I smooth it through my hair at night and use my Sweet Almond in the morning to wash it out. My hair has never been so healthy and so shiny. I also love his styling creme and he now has some great body products that I want to try! I can even let my hair air dry now and it still looks great!

on 7/12/2006 9:17:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I will freely admit that I really like this product and find that it works well w/ and for my hair. I have long, straight, slightly coarse Asian hair that is not colored or treated and my scalp is normal in terms of oil production. It's a bit sensitive, too. Here's how WEN works on my scalp: it cleanses it, but doesn't irritate it. My scalp doesn't feel oily the next day and I find I'm losing less hair in the shower (this is just my observation--it's not a concrete, scientifically-proven fact. Please don't treat it as such). As for my hair, it's instantly detangled, soft, smoother, and shiny. I find I don't need to use styling products after using it, maybe a couple drops of jojoba oil on a particularly dry day. At first it appears to be on the pricey side, but it takes the place of a shampoo, a conditioner, a shave gel, a leave-in conditioner, and any styling products I used in the past, so I'd say that's a great deal. Cuts down clutter in my bathroom and cuts down time spent in the shower, too. I massage well into my scalp, comb it through, add a tad more to the ends, and then leave it alone while I wash my face, shave, exfoliate, etc. Rinse it out, and you're done.I still feel the need, though, to clarify once a week w/ a sulfate-free shampoo and deep conditioner. Also, I can't go too long w/o "shampooing," a day at most. They say that it's better for your hair not to shampoo everyday, but perhaps they were thinking of traditional shampoos when they made that statement... continued >>

Video Reviews & Tutorials