Deciem The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2%
The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2%

3.8

Water, Lactic Acid, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Potassium Citrate, Arginine, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Tasmannia Lanceolata Fruit/leaf Extract, Acacia Senegal Gum, Xanthan Gum, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, PPG-26-Buteth-26, Ethyl 2,2-Dimethylhydrocinnamal, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Ethylhexylglycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol.

on 5/31/2017 6:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Wasn't 100% sure what rating to give this product, as I'm still on the fence about what, exactly, my expectations were. Disclaimer: skincare noob talking here, unless you count LRP Effaclar Duo as a serum, this would count as my first one. So apologies if my ignorance shines through in some places. I only bought this because I didn't want to jump into the 10% lactic acid serum straight away (also from the Ordinary) just in case I might react badly or find it too harsh. Wanted to be all smart and build things up slowly. I've been using this daily for a little over a month now.

I have hyperpigmentation from acne on my cheeks and chin (cyclical with periods). I have blackheads on my nose. I'm not poreless but I wouldn't say my pores are particularly large. I was looking for an AHA to get rid of my marks and at the time there was no glycolic acid serum on ASOS so I went with this. My skin type is normal to dry, and I'd say my skin texture is actually pretty good.

My expectations were for it to reduce the appearance of my marks slightly and perhaps even out my skin tone, maybe solve refine my skin texture. I didn't really know how capable 5% lactic acid would be at doing that though but again, it was just so my skin wouldn't get overwhelmed with a stronger product.

The colour of this serum is a pale orange/pink. It has a sweet medicinal smell, it's not overly runny or thick and sinks into the skin pretty well but it can be slightly sticky. I apply approximately 5 drops, concentrating on the lower half of my face.

So, the results?
- I did not notice any reduction in the appearance of my marks.
- I noticed a slight improvement in my skin texture.
- Skin seemed more even toned and less red.
- It seems to have reduced breakouts?

The 3rd and 4th points were particularly striking. Usually during my time of the month I experience redness around my nose and mouth, and may look a little 'flushed'. A couple of days before I was due I got too lazy to apply this and noticed how red my skin was! Just a few hours after applying the serum all the redness was gone and my skin had returned to its' original state! It was doing more than I thought.

I also noticed that I did not break out on my cheeks all throughout using this product, though I did get a couple of zits on my chin nearing the time I was due. This is odd for me as I am always getting a new occasional zit here and there. The only time I got a spot on my cheek was in the couple of days that I wasn't bothered to use this. Go figure!

My overall impression of this product, based solely on user experience is that it would be perfect for someone with flawless or near flawless skin who doesn't really have acne issues, but just wants a mild exfoliant to even out skintone and refine any texture. I don't think the percentage of lactic acid is enough as a 'treatment' for any hyperpigmentation/scarring issues.

With regards to preventing the breakouts, it could be this product, but I am a little skeptical that it may just be a fluke as this is not normally cited as something AHAs do. Again, I'm not that informed on this subject and the only way to really know is through further testing, which I will update on in the future.

A great first impression from the Ordinary - I have already upgraded to the 10% Lactic Acid Serum and have been using it for around 2 days now. I have not broken out from either product and am hoping the 10% formulation will reduce my marks.

Oh, and one last thing - I'd like to thank this product for finally allowing me to pull off the 'concealer with no foundation' look!

on 5/22/2017 6:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I've been using this for just over a week with a couple of other products from the range. My skin was reflecting a few weeks of stress and became uncomfortably dry (even my trusted La Roche Posay products couldn't deal with it) and some bumpy congestion on my forehead had come back with a vengeance, so I thought I'd give this range a try.

This is my first experience of using clinical formulations. I was nervous of using a high-strength acid product so
I selected the Lactic Acid 5%, (they also do a 10% version) said to benefit uneven tone and textural irregularities, followed by their Hyaluronic Acid to improve hydration and then their Magnesium Phosphate 10%, a vitamin C cream, for dullness and even skin tone.

The first couple of nights my skin felt very dry after applying these products and I had to use another cream on top. No irritation, but a tiny bit of soreness the following morning. After that my skin has tolerated these products very well and I've seen some real results.

After a week, my skin is looking noticeably brighter and the bumpy congestion on my forehead is much reduced, which I assume is down to the Lactic Acid. The directions do state that the product can be diluted with other treatments until skin develops tolerance, so I think that layering the Hyaluronic Acid on top has helped with that. The HA has also made a difference to the comfort and hydration of my skin. Overall my skin is looking brighter, hydrated and rested, and feeling much more supple and comfortable.

This product smells vile when you first apply it but the odour disappears after a few seconds. The texture is quite light and thin, and easily smooths over the skin. There isn't the elegance of a pleasant scent or the luxurious texture of a cosmetic serum but then that's what we pay at least ten times more for in department stores. I've used sparkly pink serums and frankly I don't find those gimmicks appealing any more - I just want products that work. Overall the textures and quality of the three Ordinary products I've used have exceeded my expectations.

I am really pleased with the results I've had. I'm going to continue using these products and am looking forward to trying other products from the range. The Ordinary's ethos of integrity appeals to me, as does the fact that their products are vegetarian/vegan, not tested on animals, and not sold in China, which unlike most of the world requires that all products sold there are tested on animals.