CeraVe Healing Ointment

CeraVe Healing Ointment
Healing Ointment

4.5

Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Paraffin, Ozokerite, Dimethicone, Hyaluronic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Ceramide 1, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-II, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phytosphingosine, Cholesterol, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Carbomer, Panthenol, Water, L-Proline, Xanthan Gum

on 12/29/2016 1:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I got this from a rec from the ladies on the skin care board to use it as an eye cream. I picked it up and have been using it for about a month now. It has a lot of really good ingredients so it seemed perfect, plus I already was using Vaseline **with cocoa butter** (that's important) every night on my lashes and eyes.

So this is much pricier, #1. It feels more like a regular Vaseline than a cocoa butter or aquaphor. I know they are super similar, I just feel the other two are silkier. This is a little tougher. I think because of the price, I'm not using as much, and therefore I get more tugging on my eyes than I would want. But I do honestly think it's thicker as well which makes that a little harder. I also started using RapidLash, which I love, but because of that, I don't really use this on my lashes like I used to with the Vaseline.

I also sometimes use this on my cuts/scabs and I DO think it's great for that. I would maybe buy a larger bottle as a hand cream? I use a lot of first aid and petroleums though already. I will also add, I recently had an eczema flare up and I didn't have this with me (plus I only have a small tube that wouldn't go far on my hands but lasts forever for the eyes) and I only had emu oil where I was staying and I resisted using that forEVER but it did work. Though people say this does work for that. I would probably want to buy this over that if I had a flare again, but I wonder how it would perform for me.

BUT. Final answer? I honestly don't think it does much for my eyes. I know that's unpopular, but I really don't. I had stared an expensive eye cream before this and I did start to see results and so I would wait a while after applying that and letting it absorb, and then use this. But honestly, I don't see improvement at ALL! If anything I think it may make my eyes redder....Idk guys. I like the ingredients but it either has too much or too little of something to really make it worth it for my eyes. I also didn't love it on my lips which is weird, you'd think I would. So I can't say I won't buy it again for hands or something, but honestly it's very expensive for that. I don't think I'll use this on my under eyes after I finish my tube though. It just didn't impress me that much. :\ Sorry guys. I still think it's worth it to buy the small tube and try it out, it could be great for you! I just had really high hopes and was a teeny bit let down.

UPDATE: I started derma rolling and I actually found a use for this. I'm sensitive to so many ingredients so serums are tricky, but this is great for post-rolling. I would buy it again for that. I still prefer Vaseline cocoa butter and rapid lash for my lashes, and real eye creams, but this is great for the rolling and I upped my review because of that. I still occasionally use it on my under eyes over another cream. This or the Vaseline cocoa. I did buy another small one because of a coupon but it's not HG to me.

on 10/23/2016 2:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I've been happily using Vaseline petroleum jelly as an eye cream since May, but lately it's just not cutting it. My eyes have been flakey and dry and irritated despite using a proper eye cream under it. I needed more than a simple occlusive. Luckily I got a little jar of this when I purchased another CeraVe product and decided to give it a go, only vaguely aware of the fact that it's not just mineral oil, so it might be more moisturizing. Well, I wasn't wrong. Not only did this hang around throughout the night (not rubbing off like Vaseline does) sealing everything in, it adds a TON of moisture with it's mix of ceramides, hyaluronic acid, cholesterol, vitamin E, panthenol, and fatty alcohol. Yeah, it's not the most exciting list of ingredients, but they get sh** done. And on that note let me tell you a little story:

Almost a week ago I was making blackberry jam, stirring like crazy as I added in pectin and what should happen, but a great big blob of it splashed up and caught me on the underside of my chin. End result: 1/2" wide, 3" long bright red burn. I put a bunch of stuff on it that really didn't do anything except make it hurt even worse. Until I reached for this. Multiple applications a day soothed the pain, and assisted peeling and healing. Now it's shrunk considerably in size, isn't peeling, and is faintly pink and fading fast. Oh, and I've haven't gotten a single pimple on my sure acne prone chin while using this. That's like A+++ skincare right there.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I love a product that double tasks, and this is definitely one of them.

I have lots of love for CeraVe products, and I use their Hydrating Cleanser and PM Facial Moisturizing lotion faithfully. Hmmmm... I need to review those. Anyway, I have two problematic areas of dryness: lips and cuticles. Yes, my skin is dry overall, but not problematically so. My lips and cuticles get so dry, they crack. My local Target store had this in a trial size for $3.99 so I bought it. After about a week of nightly use, there was a noticeable improvement in the condition of my lips and cuticles. I just massage it into the nail area for a few minutes before bed, and apply a decent amount to my lips and the surrounding area. The texture is surprisingly light, and to me, non-greasy. Can't wait to see what it does as an overnight treatment product in winter. Great hard-working multi-tasker. I will buy the full size ($12)and continue to use this product.

on 8/14/2016 4:34:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I'm a big fan of CeraVe Cream for face, hands, and body, and when I saw this I thought it might help my cracking, peeling, itchy hands. I was right. At bedtime, I apply CeraVe Cream, layer Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream over it, then squeeze about an inch of this ointment into my palm and rub it in right before I go to sleep. Amazing. I have no more scaly, peeling, cracked fingertips, my hands look great (like normal skin), and even my cuticles look healthy, not ragged. I love that this comes in a tube, so it's very sanitary and convenient to use and carry. CeraVe claims that it has a "non-greasy feel," which I don't quite agree with--it is 46.5% petrolatum--but it's not so greasy that I feel I need to wear gloves over it to protect my sheets, and I've had no messes. I find it much more therapeutic than Vaseline or Aquaphor--the hyaluronic acid and ceramides in the formula seem to make a huge difference, at least to my skin--and it's much less greasy than either. It's also great for dry spots on the face, elbows, or anywhere else, for the dryness I get under my nose from colds and allergies, and for heavy-duty foot care. It is a bit pricey for a drugstore product, but I will always keep a tube of this around. I have already purchased a full-size tube after finishing the purse-size. This is great stuff.

7/5/18--folks, I have found a cure for cracked hands, and this is it. I always had at least one crack on my hands, and they are incredibly annoying (and surprisingly painful). I started using this as part of my nightly hand routine--a drop of two of hyaluronic acid serum, followed by Cerave cream, followed by Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Unscented. Hey, I have real problem hands. Anyway, right before I go to sleep, I apply the Neutrogena hand cream mixed with a bit of this (about 2:1, depending on how dry my hands are), then go to sleep. It's moisture + barrier, and combining them makes the ointment less greasy, so I don't need to wear gloves to keep my sheets from getting greasy. I wake up with normal-looking, moisturized hands with no cracks. And I have had none for six months. I can't believe it. If you have problem hands, give it a shot. You have nothing to lose.

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I use both Cerave and Aquaphor ointments and like both of them equally as well. Both are petrolatum based but Aquaphor has lanolin, glycerin and skin soothing bisabolol while Cerave ointment has ceramides, silicones and hyaluronic acid. For me, I like to use each of them for different reasons. For chapped lips, I prefer to use Aquaphor and do not like Cerave on my lips at all. But Cerave would be my first choice to apply after a chemical peel. And I would use either one of them on cracked, chafed skin or dry cuticles.

on 7/2/2016 1:34:00 PM

To me, this has a much thinner, less coating consistency than Aquafor or Vaseline. It nevers really sinks in, it is more of a coating. It doesn't stay on as long for me. Those who like the feeling of less on their lips might like it, but I prefer something thicker.

on 4/19/2016 8:30:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I like aquaphor. But I rather buy CeraVe! I had a blister a few weeks back on my foot and an overnight treatment with cotton socks had the blister cleared up faster. I feel like the Cerave is A superior product to Eucerine's aquaphor. Allergies have caused dry and patchy skin under my eye. The Cerave worked quicker and better. I think it absorbs easier and is thinner in consistency. Almost like a lotion. The ceramides and hyaluronic acid locks in moisture well and promotes cells' regeneration and overall health. So this is worth buying. I layer it over my eye cream under my eyes and lips. Wonderful product. Replacing aquaphor and Vaseline. I have sensitive skin and sometimes acne prone. Look at the ingredients. Some people are sensitive to vitamin E or mineral oil.

Ingredients: Mineral Oil, Paraffin, Ozokerite, Dimethicone, Hyaluronic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Ceramide 1, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-11, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phytosphingosine, Cholesterol, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Carbomer, Panthenol, Water, L-Proline, Xantan Gum.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

It is the equivalent of using vaseline on ones skin to soothe it with. Which is why, you can honestly just buy a big tub of Vaseline (which is much cheaper), and simply use that instead.

Now, i didn't use this product on my body, but instead on my face. Never again will i buy this over priced stuff again when my face gets very dry and irritated, as it just sat on my face, made it super greasy, and clogged my pores in the process.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I use this mainly as a lip balm and cuticle cream. I find it less greasy than aquaphor, which is what has me hooked (even though i still love aquaphor). I had a fever blister a few weeks back and the zovirax ointment was irritating my lips. Once the blister cleared up, this really helped with the chapping and scarring. I feel like the cerave sinks in better than aquaphor.

If you are a die hard aquaphor addict, i don't think you need to change, but if you are like me and like what aquaphor does and just want a little less greasy feeling, it is worth a try.

I have the larger and the smaller size of the cerave, and i find that the larger size feels thicker in the tube., fwiw. I did not get the pot because i knew i would be mainly using this as lip balm.

on 4/3/2016 7:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

Usually I use Aquaphor but I found this on sale at Wags and they gave me a coupon so I got a 3 oz tube for only $1. Can't beat that with a stick. Anyway, I had a wicked, stubborn, inexplicable rash on my collarbone, and this cleared it up in two days. Not even aloe very gel worked on that. However, I've been putting this on a patch of dry skin for weeks now, and it's not helping at all. Not a cure-all, but it's pretty good stuff. I just wish it came as a cream instead of an ointment.