Biotin (All brands)

Biotin (All brands)
Biotin 2 weeks growth (I take Biotin 10000mcg daily)

3.5

on 4/28/2018 3:05:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I'm currently on oral chemotherapy and the side effects include my nails doing something that they've never done before: split right in the middle. So I started taking 500 mg of biotin and within a week my nails were strong and flexible. I honestly expected to start seeing some results in 6 to 8 weeks at the least. So yes, biotin works. However please heed the warnings from people who got cystic acne when using biotin. If you're prone to cystic acne, give biotin a hard pass. Your skin will thank you.

on 3/24/2018 2:23:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Used Biotin 5000 MCG for about 6 months and gave me CYSTIC ACNE I have never experienced before! Started taking this summer 2017 and I drink about 1.5 to 2 litres a day of water, sometimes more sometimes less and I eat relatively healthy.

After about three weeks I started experiencing horrible painful cystic/nodular acne on my cheeks. I do have oily skin so I am acne prone on my t-zone, but I have always had smooth clear cheeks despite acne on my forehead. Then after taking biotin I started getting huge painful nodular cysts which were under the skin so were impossible to treat with topical creams (eg benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid) or squeeze. If I even TRIED squeezing them I would end up with huge dark scars which would last for months. When one spot went another would pop up almost immediately. I am still working on clearing up the scars today.

I stopped taking biotin about a month ago and have had no new spots. I initially thought this acne was due to hormones and stress, but now I can definitely say it's due to the biotin.

If you're going to take biotin BE WARNED you may experience cystic acne that will not go away unless you stop taking it! As for hair and nails, my hair did not grow any faster than usual and my nails were still brittle (but probably because I have had a acrylics a few times).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I've used various brands and formats over the years, and I really can't tell that biotin supplementation does anything for me, even after several months of sustained daily dosing. Since I eat red meat frequently, I'm probably getting plenty of biotin that way. It's definitely something to consider if you don't eat meat (although I don't know how or from what it's made, so you'll want to check into that if you're keeping a vegetarian or vegan diet).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

So this definitely does make hair growth increase, and it did improve my overall skin quality, but my facial skin...oh dear.

I had some of the worst cystic acne ever from both biotin supplements and topical biotin in hair products. I also experienced closed comedones on my neck and shoulders, that took months and both exfoliation and extraction to clear up. Unfortunately for me, I used the hair product first, and never connected the acne or bumps to it. I switched products when I ran out and never thought of it again until I tried a biotin supplement and experienced the same issues.

I definitely recommend watching your skin and starting slow with this. I now take prenatal gummies as my multi vitamin since they are one of the few I can find without biotin!

on 5/23/2017 12:39:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I take biotin every day. I've had hair loss but thanks to using the highest dose of biotin that is considered safe, my hair has grown longer, stronger and my hair is slowly starting to grow thicker. I love the results.

I regrew my hair and you can too. -I've been bleaching my hair on and off since forever. My hair wouldn't grow any longer it would just snap off. I've dreamed about having thick, long hair. And when I say dreamed, I mean it quite literally. So i decided to do something about it. My friend suggested Biotin when we were talking about my hair loss.
I’ve tried like 4 different brands until i found that the best one for me. Now i’m 26 and I've been taking Biotin every day for years. My hair and nails grow SO much quicker. Hair has increased in the rate and are so long now.
Also my energy levels are high. I remember that at the beginning i did heavy cardio and interval training which helped me lose weight fast but i did not realize how biotin played a part in my weight loss until AFTER i stopped working out. I continue to take biotin every day and now that I am no longer on my diet i eat whatever i want and i don't gain weight. It appears the biotin may be keeping my metabolism to the level it was at during my training. So i highly recommend it to you. For me the best is www.certifiedbiotin.com my friends also use this one.

on 10/24/2016 9:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This stuff gave me horrible deep cystic acne. I took it for about 4 months before I realized this was what was causing it. After I stopped taking the acne cleared up within a week. I may have never figured it out but I read a review for an acne face wash on amazon and the girl mentioned Biotin ended up being the cause of her acne. So glad I read that! My skin is acne prone to begin with, but not cystic, painful and all over like that. It was a very sad summer :(

on 2/20/2016 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I started using 5mg biotin, swanson brand, at full strength for 2 days then read reviews and became terrified of breaking out. So for the following 3 days i dumped out half the capsule contents, and taking roughly half a pill. So far ive noticed my skin is glowy and youthful looking, and i know its the increased sebum production biotin causes. I was curious to see what would wipe off with a toner and OMG the grime on my face was a brownish colour the next morning, having gone to bed with a clean face. So.... I think using toners amd cleansers will prevent breakouts.... Keep u posted this is only day 5 :)

on 2/3/2016 10:33:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Biotin has definitely helped my hair to grow faster, and possibly thicker, though probably not softer or shinier. When I was getting my brown hair bleached regularly, the root regrowth was super crazy, way beyond any normal rate. I've been taking it for about a year now, and it definitely works, but you have to be careful and patient with it. It can cause breakouts and takes a while to work, but it's worth it if you stick with it.

I started at 1000mcg, the lowest possible dose, and started taking both a daily zinc and vitamin b complex supplement (I later increased the dosage for both, but I can't tell of any results yet), a silica supplement, and started drinking a bottle of water a day. If I had any breakouts it was no more noticeable than usual (my acne seems to be mostly hormonal, if that helps). When I ran out, I upped the dose to 3000mcg, then 5000mcg and 10,000mcg, all whilst keeping relatively clear skin (I've since found a cleansing routine that works for me).

I'm currently on a dose of 12,000mcg, but I'll be going back to the 10,000mcg once that's done as I think that gave me the best results. I don't know what would happen if I went up to 20,000mcg.

Don't start with a high dose, and don't give up after two weeks; it took about three months for me to see real results, but my hair is now far better than it was before.

Hi Ladies!

I've been using biotin for just over month now, so I feel like it's a fair time to write a review.

*This may be long - I have some venting to do. ;)

I started taking biotin due to weak, shedding hair, as I read from many sources online (including MA) that this is supposed to work wonders on the hair.

A little background. I am American, with fair skin, light eyes, & fine, medium blonde hair.
I've been living in Asian countries for the past 4 years, Thailand, Singapore & now Hong Kong. Firstly, let me tell you this, if you have a hairdresser that takes care of you and gives you what exactly what you want.. Give her/him a big kiss the next time you go to get your locks pampered. Asian hairdressers, although they can be amazing with their own hair type, seldom know how to work with Caucasian hair. I go in for partial highlights every 6 months, and some how they always find a way to either burn my hair or cut it into some weird Korean style that I end up hating. Of course, there are western hairstylist, but they end up costing me a small fortune and I could never quite justify paying 800 US dollars just for a few highlights and a cut.

After my work in Singapore, I decided to travel in India for a few months. In that time, I was washing my hair every few days. No hair dryer, curling iron, flat iron or styling products. The overall health of my hair improved dramatically, although the bottom half was still quite weak from all the over-processing.

After India, I moved to Hong Kong and I had massive grow-out. I didn't trust anyone to work with my blonde hair, and damage it further. So, I decided to be bold and go "Emma Stone Red", I though it would give my hair a nice break from bleach. WRONG! I ended up at a salon where 4 hairstylist worked on 10 people's hair simultaneously. :( Sigh.... My hair was a dark, auburn red on top, and dirty dishwater brown on the bottom (the over-processed part).
as a couple weeks have gone by, the color has faded quite a bit, and it's all an even color now... ALL dirty dishwater brown. I was shedding like crazy when showering, brushing or even just running my fingers through.. I don't know how I still have hair on my head.

So, once again, I decided not to stress my hair and just leave it as is for awhile, until I can go to a proper salon and have it fixed. I am staying away from heating tools, and just let it air dry. -I've stocked up on headbands & scarves. :)

Alright to the biotin. I take one 5,000 mcg tablet every morning with my breakfast and drink a liter of water within the first hour of swallowing the pill.

The first week, I noticed my nails were significantly stronger.

I started pooping like 4 times day.

I've lost a few pounds.. Won't complain about that.

From the first week until now, I am thirsty all the time. Like, thirsty thirsty. I drink about a gallon and a half a water a day, which is good, considering you need to stay hydrated and drink plenty if water while taking biotin.

My energy is much higher, although that may be contributed to a couple of other life-style changes, so it's hard to say if biotin is 100% responsible.

Fast forward to now, one month later

I started noticing a difference in my hair a couple days ago.. Not on my head. :)
I like to keep my vajay smooth and hair free. But, the other night, I noticed that I suddenly grew a 70s bush, almost overnight! HA! Also, my legs were more prickly than they've ever been! So, after a little hair-control and panic, I noticed my hair (on my head) was so much softer and shinier! I also see that there's a lot less hair in my hair brush and the bathtub!
YAY! I love when I start seeing the results I was hoping for! Again, I only started noticing results in regards to my hair a couple days ago, so I'll write an updated review in a month or two.

My skin did get a couple breakouts, nothing I can't get under control. Plus, usually when you add something new to the chemistry of your body, you can react. I am going to wait it out and let my body adjust, no biggie. I see a lot of people on here are saying they are giving up because a sudden breakout of acne. That's bananas! Be patient, be a trooper, wait it out! Give yourself a 3 month time-frame, then decide if you want to proceed with these supplements. in most cases your body WILL adjust and your skin will not only clear up, but improve in texture and tone!

I'm still pooping a lot.

My energy level is still through the roof, which I like, gives me more motivation to get in the gym.

My appetite is non existent. I only know when I'm hungry when I start to get weak or mean (lol). Again, no complaints here, I've set up an eating schedule to make sure I'm keeping my body well-nourished.

In conjunction with the biotin, I also take Omega-3 and Silica. As well as juicing dark green veggies, carrots & oranges every day. Also, I now have much cleaner diet. There's a noticeable difference in my skin, and I'm sure it's doing positive things for my hair as well.

Thanks for reading my ramblings! Best of luck to you on your biotin journey!

Popular Treatments