SKII Facial Treatment Essence

SKII Facial Treatment Essence

3.2

on 11/14/2017 10:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

I used this religiously for over a year. I never saw any particular benefit from using it for my skin though I searched and searched hoping to validate my over the top purchase!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'm really on the fence about this product. I bought it because I really believed that it would hydrate my skin and give it that clear, purified, bouncy look that's always in those Asian skin commercials. I also just really wanted to believe the hype and this was more or less an impulse buy. I got it at Sephora as part of the Pitera starter set.

I don't know why but my skin doesn't seem to react well with yeast. Anytime I use a product whose star ingredient is yeast, my skin either breaks out or feels super dry. I have very combination skin - normal t zone, dry cheeks. Anyway this essence was no different. A few mins after application my skin feels very dry and tight. It also doesn't seem to really boost the moisturizer I use after - my skin feels the same level of hydration either with or without. I used this for 2 months.

As for the anti-aging claims, I don't have any signs of aging whatsoever and I'm under 25. So I'm not sure how effective it is for that. I don't mind the scent at all - I've used products with a far stronger scent than this. I also find it calming and really appreciate that no extra fragrance was added - my skin is sensitive enough as it is!

My bottom line is - I really don't think this is worth the $100+ CAD. Now, bear in mind I only used this for 2 months and I've read somewhere on an SK II site that you need to go through 1 or 2 full bottles of this essence to really see the difference. I would have kept on using it and finishing the bottle if I didn't keep breaking out with this. The breakouts started about 2 months after I began using it. It wasn't the time of month where my hormones are crazy when the breakouts happened and they pretty much disappeared or were no longer irritated after I stopped using this.

I guess my advice to people thinking about buying this would be - if you don't have tons of extra $$ to spend, don't blindly believe the advertising. If yeast works well for your skin, this product could be great! To me, SKII is similar to La Mer in that they really push "the story" and the "magical" part of the product. It's marketing in the end and it's better to rely on a science based approach if you really want to spend $$ on your skincare. And besides, my Olay moisturizer from the drugstore works better than this product in terms of contributing to clear, healthy, hydrated skin.

on 5/17/2017 9:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I didn't notice any change whatsoever in my skin from this. That's good, from some perspectives - there are certainly plenty of products out there that have had quite dramatic bad effects on my poor temperamental face. Despite my going almost all the way through the bottle, there's absolutely no chance, if one day I meet my age-mate Cate Blanchett, of us holding a mutual admiration party over our youthful glows.

Very expensive. Watery and odd to apply. Unscented (perhaps a very faint sort of savoury aroma). Glass bottle (TILE, people, bathrooms are often lined in a thing called TILE and it is death to glass). I really don't know what else to say about it. It took up space in my bathroom cupboard, and over a hundred dollars from my bank account. I splashed it on my face morning and evening for a couple of months. Nothing happened.

on 12/22/2016 5:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I wont deny, that this is a great product. It hydrates my sensitive and breakout prone skin to the max, leaving it dewy, bright and even. But as great as it is... this is the reason why I wont keep repurchasing it: there are many other products out there, with the same or even higher amount of pitera, that cost much less.

I switched to Cosrx Galactomyces 95 (95% pitera) essence and the results are just as awesome as with the SKII essence and it costs only 20$.

on 11/22/2016 10:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

To debrief, I have super sensitive, acne-prone, dry combo skin. What a mouthful. To be honest, I've always seen SKII being a 'holy grail' brand due to the amount of people praising their products and also because of their prices (because expensive means better, right?). So one day I decided to buy the Pitera Essence Set which included the Facial Treatment Essence 75mL, Facial Treatment Mask 1pc and the Facial Treatment Clear Lotion 30mL all for $100. Normally, you can get the Facial essence 75mL for the same price, however, this is probably a better deal, especially if this is your first time trying it.

Now for starters, this product has quite a lot of claims including that: "In just 14 days, your skin’s 5 dimensions are visibly transformed: age spots are less visible, appearance of wrinkles is reduced, skin texture is more refined, firmness is improved, and radiance is beautifully elevated. Skin becomes breathtakingly crystal clear."

However, I beg to differ. The texture of the essence and lotion is like water, however, there have been a few people online complaining about the smell of the essence. For me, I am not bothered by the smell, but there are some days where the smell is definitely more potent than others. Now onto the real review of this product.

Using this product did not disrupt my super sensitive skin, and I actually found my skin becoming 'less sensitive' (as in my skin wasn't breaking out into red patches frequently). I should also mention it did almost nothing for my acne, as my pimples were still very much on my face just as it was before i used this product.
However, within the first few days I found a noticeable difference in the texture of my skin, and the size of my blackheads and pores around my nose. However, that was it. I continued using it for the next 3 months, and my pores and blackheads reverted back to normal but the texture of my face was still smooth.
Currently, i have stopped using it and my skin seems to be doing just fine without using it. Would I recommend it? Well, if you have problems with the texture of your skin, sure! But would I buy it again? Definitely not. There are many cheaper alternatives out there on the market. In fact, I'm using one from Missha that is half the price and does the job just as well. The only good thing that I would recommend buying from the set is the Facial Treatment Mask as that really helps tighten your skin - I could literally feel the difference.

Nevertheless, this product is good for people who are having problems with the texture of their skin, however, you should keep in mind that there are many cheaper alternatives out there. It should also be noted that what might not work for me doesn't always mean that it will never work for anyone else, as everyone has different skin types and thus different products will work for them. However, if you have been dying to finally try a SK-II product, than why not give this a shot.

on 6/26/2016 12:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I decided to try the SK-II facial treatment essence on the urging of a friend who swears by it. I am not very keen with the scent but I do find it cooling and slightly moisturizing for my sensitive skin. So far I don't have any break-outs or pimples from daily use.This would be my choice of product during humid or warm weather when my skin is oilier than usual.

on 12/24/2015 3:14:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have been using this religiously for 2 years now. My skin has improved but I use the full range. This product on its own is not enough to evoke beautiful skin but it is a great prep for the other SKII products. My skin has been complimented as long as I am religious in applying my skincare.

on 11/22/2015 10:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This is the kind of product that drives Paula Begoun, over at Beautypedia, nuts. "No substantiated research!" that pitera, the active ingredient, is of any particular benefit to your skin, she cries. And she hates the price. And although she doesn't mention it, she rarely has anything nice to say about bottles that admit light.

But here's the thing...while the experts at Beautypedia give SK-ll's Facial Treatment Essence two stars, the site's user community gives it four and a half. So I tried it, because frankly I get bored with my skin care products sometimes and I've been hearing about this stuff for years, and opinions of the people who use a product make me curious.

On Sephora's website you can buy a single-use Facial Treatment Mask. The mask really is good, and not very, for a single use. I don't like how it's shaped, especially around the chin. But the thing that's really interesting and useful about the mask is that before you put it on, you can squeeze a terrific amount of the Essence itself into the packet and save it for later. I rolled the packet up tight and used a barrette to clip it shut.

By dipping my (freshly washed!) fingertip into the remaining liquid and dabbing it onto my face (soaking a cotton pad would be crazy overkill) I was able to get about two weeks' use out of the Essence I had left. That's enough time for a very good trial run of a product, and since the mask cost $17, it's also a cheap trial for an expensive product.

And in my opinion Paula is wrong about this one. There are a lot of benefits to reading Beautypedia. I've learned a lot about the chemistry of cosmetic products, and information like what percentage of various ingredients a product needs to be effective, and how things need to be packaged so that they won't deteriorate before you can use them. But every once in a while I think that chemistry isn't the whole story. Just because the research isn't there yet doesn't mean a product doesn't work. Make sure, by all means, that what you're about to spread on your skin isn't going to be harmful, but when there's a wildcard ingredient like pitera, you need to try it for yourself to see if it works for you.

If I didn't respect the views of actual users, I wouldn't bother to write or read reviews here on MakeupAlley. So here is my rubber-meets-the-road view of SK-ll's Facial Treatment Essence: it's worth trying. My skin likes it, and has rewarded me for using it by becoming more even-toned, which is one of the things I want my skin to be and an issue I have consistently. I think my skin looks brighter.

Your millage my vary, of course. But try the trick with the face mask if you're really curious and don't otherwise want to spend the money.

on 10/25/2015 11:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product seems more expensive nowadays. I found the price is always increased up to 10%-15% every year during the past 4 years.
I use sk-ii series (cleanser-toner-this essence-moisturizer-sunscreen) diligently for more less 2,5 years and then I gave up when those basic series could not make my skin become crystal clear (well, that’s what it said on their website for this essence), my mild rosacea is still there, my hormonal acne still come and go, but gladly my skin doesn't act up and even more radiant.

I must admit I love their series because they don’t irritate, don’t break out and don’t flare up my mild rosacea combi-oily skin. And I love this essence the most because it refresh and hydrate my skin. The texture is light and watery such as the toner, but I always made it as pre-serum/serum because the instruction said use it after cleansing and toning.

I follow every step of the instruction at first, but soak a cotton pad make this essence become wasteful and you know this product isn’t cheap! Pour on my hand is not a solution either because it’s also wasteful and often slip out of my hand. So I just move it and put it into spray bottle, thus I can spray the essence deliberately on my 4 spot face (forehead-cheeks-chin) then I dab/pat it with hand. In this way I can save and make the essence last longer. I used it twice daily and the 150ml/5.1oz size can last for more than 6 months (when I soak a cotton pad it’s only last for 4-5 months).

I found out that when I use the complete basic sk-ii series, my skin became radiant/bright. But when I use this essence alone (mix with other brand for cleanser, toner and moisturizer) my skin looks dull and not as bright as used to be. So the miracle water isn’t doing much ‘miracle’ for me.

Now I change this essence with clinique even better essence lotion (for combi-oily skin) which is cheaper and apparently some of the ingredients are quite similar as this sk-ii essence. It also feels quite the same on my skin although clinique essence is a bit tacky/sticky afterward, not like sk-ii essence which is more clear watery texture, but considering the price and the result on my skin, oh well i'd still choose clinique rather than sk-ii

Expensive.. very expensive..

There are definitely cheaper alternatives these days, think missha time revolution essence/ iope bio essence intensive conditioning.

Im not sure if it is because I am not an an "mature" age yet so doesn't seems to see any results.

And I really hate the scent.. it stinks in my opinion.

Won't buy it.. perhaps when I get older and have some moo lah. I might think about it again.