Mario Badescu Enzyme Cleansing Gel

Mario Badescu Enzyme Cleansing Gel

3.8

Ingredients: Aqua (Water,Eau),Glycerin,Propylene Glycol,PEG-8 Stearate,PPG-2 Hydroxyethyl Cocamide,Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract,Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract,Carbomer,Sodium Chloride,Parfum (Fragrance),Phenoxyethanol,Methylparaben,Propylparaben,Triethanolamine,Diazolidinyl Urea,Mica,CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide),CI 19140 (Yellow 5),CI 42090 (Blue 1),CI 15985 (Yellow 6)(4/26/2015)

on 5/26/2016 9:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Okay so I bought this about a month ago.

At first I want impressed but it was the only cleanser I had for a while so I ended up is if this day and night ... Removing makeup - wasn't too easy with this, but I usually double cleanse anyway. For some reason I had thought this wasn't giving me a good enough cleanse, cause I'd tone and see residue or peeling stuff coming off my face.

So after a month or so of using it non stop, I decided to exfoliate with a traditional exfoliating scrub.

Mario badescu never broke me out or made me look dirty btw. It was and is a wonderful cleanse.

But anyway, so I just took to my face to quickly exfoliate with a facial scrub and noticed my skin was incredibly brighter. My complexion was totally even and I almost felt silly applying makeup on, cause I usually wear super full coverage and once I saw my face after washing, it looked SO PERFECT. I definitely felt silly with makeup on cause I felt like it hid my new wonderful complexion! Lol

So after that, I decided I would only use it in the mornings, because it's not doing so great at night coming home with so much makeup removal in my process.

But this definitely works. It's gentle and over time does leave your skin brighter and looking amazing. It's not overnight - as it took me almost a month to notice, lol.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Used two bottles of this. For me, this is the best Mario's cleanser among all others. It's perfectly gentle, gel formula which doesn't foam up and doesn't make my skin dry after I wash it off. It contains fruit enzymes which exfoliate very gently - suitable for every day use. Price is reasonable, as well. I suggest you buy bigger size because it pays off more. For me, this is a trusty staple and I can always rely on.

To Read all 483 Reviews, Login or Join

This is my preferred morning cleanser. I don't find that this cleanser alone is strong enough to remove medium-heavy makeup, but it's perfect for me in the mornings when all I have on my face is leftover moisturizer from the night before. Another use I have for this is if I opt to double cleanse, I'll use my DHC Pore Cleansing Oil first to remove my makeup, then use this.

If you are sensitive to fragrances, steer clear of this. I think it smells fresh and pleasant, but it's definitely scented. Also, it does not lather or foam up. I find that facial cleansers that do foam tend to be more drying, so the lack of emulsifiers is fine with me. You can apply to your damp face as directed, or even apply it to a dry face and let the fruit acids sink in for a minute or so before washing off. It washes off easily and leaves my skin refreshed and smooth. I don't have a Clarisonic but I could see this being good to use with a tool like that.

This falls on the cheaper end of the Mario Badescu pricing spectrum. I haven't taken a full size on any flights (I'm pretty sure it's too big), but for regular travel I think it packs well with no worries of leaking. Bonus: your boyfriend/husband/gentleman companion can use it, too, without fear of it being too girly.

on 2/24/2016 1:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I wanted to love this cleanser. It's not expensive, smells great, good packaging, okay ingredients but after using it for about 2 months, I got really bad breakouts.

My skin is oily and acne-prone. I have been struggling with mild acne (a few whiteheads/blackheads, cystic pimples prior to undergoing 2 months of oral isotretinoin 4 years ago) but my topical tretinoin would take care of it and Clinique's oily facial cleanser and toner really helped keep my mild acne at bay.

When my Clinique cleanser ran out, I thought I'd give this a try since when I tried it for a week when my sister bought it, I didn't see any bad reaction but at the same time felt that it also didn't do anything for my skin (but was good on my sister) plus I was on a budget. Biggest mistake of my life. Years of controlling my acne and money spent on products and time at the dermatologist all for nothing because of this product. I got lots of tiny little bumps all around face but mostly on my cheeks up to my jaw (never had this kind of breakout before) and a few cystic acne around my jaw again after years of not having any. I stopped using it andimmediately bought my Clinique oily skin cleanser and immediately noticed I didn't get any new bumps and pimples but I had to go back to the dermatologist and spend even more money to get this all under control.

Tiny bumps, cystic acne, hyperpigmentation and a lowered confidence for a less expensive product? No thanks. I'd rather pay a bit more for Clinique rather than go back to this.

on 1/31/2016 5:20:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

So I got this thinking it'd be fabulous and but mega good for my blemishes that I have from my acne.

Oh how wrong I was. It smells nice, makes your skin feel soft, convinces you it might actually be exfoliating your skin with all the naturally exfoliating ingredients.

However I started getting massive cystic bumps under my skin, under my eyebrows, on my neck, my pores on my nose and around my t-zone enlarged and filled themselves with dirt and I was like ????? what why is this happening? Is it my make up (I've been using the same products for years however), is it my other skincare (which are mostly my HG products) or is it just hormones (cause hormonal acne and all). Anyway i discontinued use of this because i suspected it was and all the break outs stopped now I'm just left with awful hyper pigmentation and pores that are bit awful.

Use this with caution, what doesn't work for one person may work for another. This product just felt like a glorified pore blocker.

Bought this on a whim after trying the carnation and rice oil cleansing milk on him (which I also did a review on) and after learning how much I loved that cleanser I went onto the Mario Badescu website to read about the other products they had to offer. I read that this cleanser was one of their best sellers and also suitable for all skin types. It states that it is and AHA based cleanser, meant to exfoliate the dull surface of the skin and is meant to reveal a more bright complexion. Honestly, while all that sounded great, how many of other skin care lines make desirable claims in order to sell product? I thought I'd give it a shot since I loved his other cleanser I used and to see how it would go, but without being naive to the hype or claims...

My first time using I wasn't so impressed, to be honest. I thought it smelled very fragrant and floral. Mind you, I have combination, sensitive, acne-prone skin due to reaction to products. So I thought the fragrance would be an issue, instantly. I also felt a slight, not harsh, but slight tingle and burn. I thought this was my skin reacting to what seemed like the over-powering scent. I splashed clean my face, toned, moisturized and went about my skincare for a week and a half it's been now since I started using this product and it was about three days ago I looked at a video of myself without make up and I realized that the center of my face was really brighter! Not only in appearance, but my acne scarring and sun spots seem to be fading. My break out zones also clearing up and looking brighter as well. Skin overall in better condition and seems to be liking this cleanser. The texture is gel like and almost has a slick, removing texture to it. You can almost feel how it would peel away at the dull, dead skin without abrasive granules that can agitate skin like mine. I didn't rate this to be a five because I am still experimenting and still "dealing" with the added fragrance and dyes, but so far it's a great and one of the best cleansers I've ever used. It's also the only cleanser that has not only cleaned my skin, but improved the quality of it.

on 11/8/2015 5:00:00 PM

I bought this along with many other Mario Badescu products because I was wanting to find a relatively cheaper brand than the Dermalogica brand that I've been using from Ulta. I also wanted something that worked just as powerful. However, this cleansing gel did not help my skin at all. Each night of using it, I found more and more pimples. Then, when the cystic acne started to show up I ran back to Ulta desperate for another product to help me. They pointed me to using Mario Badescu's Buffering Lotion and Drying Lotion. They told me that along with the Enzyme Cleansing Gel, which was in their perspective making the bad acne come to the surface of my skin to purify my skin, this all would control the acne that I was now dealing with. Trusting them, I used all of the products and then the acne got worse, especially the cystic acne. I hadn't deal with this since being a teenager and especially since using Dermalogica. The pimples on my face were hurting and very painful. I have combination dry skin and although the enzyme cleansing gel was not drying my skin out, which was the only thing good about this product, it was not thoroughly cleaning my skin, which caused bad bacteria to build up in my skin. Along with these products mentioned, I also bought the Mario Badecu Vitamin C moisturizer which sat on top of my skin and did not penetrate into my skin to nourish it. I don't suggest this product line to anyone. I have to now recover my face. I just returned all of the MB products and bought again the dermalogica products again. This morning my skin felt great and for the first time in about 2 weeks, I woke up with no new pimples and the pimples I have now that was from using the MB products have drastically gone down and stopped growing. This was my fault ultimately for not listening to my skin the time that I went back to ask the workers at Ulta about what's happening to my skin after using the enzyme cleanser, but I wanted others to know about what happened to me. This may not be the case for others, but for me, this has been the worst experience with any product line.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

There are mixed reviews on this item - lack of the foaming quality or slickness after wash, a residual "film", doesn't clean off makeup properly.

Perhaps i belong to this part in Asia where we do double cleansing, ie. removal of makeup with cleansing oils, biphase removers, milk etc before the usual facial wash - I find this cleanser a exquisitely gentle, nurturing, mild and effective cleanser. The effectiveness of this boils down to your regular routine.

Granted there's no foam or a slick afterfeel, my skin is left comfortable, breathing and incredibly soft with a slight glow. I attribute that to the lack of lather and film left on my skin.

I do feel the need to wash my face twice sometimes, though once is always enough with a cleansing cloth/sponge, the floral scent is old-school and pleasing to the senses without drying my dehydrated skin out. My skin is also noticeably less congested.

Bought at a whim, but will repurchase.

It's green! And it's non-foaming! Those were my first impressions when I first used this a good 8 years ago. I discovered Mario Badescu skincare by chance via Beauty Bay and I was suffering from a bad bout of breakouts, and obviously I was desperate to try anything.

This did not irritate my already angry skin further, smells rather pleasant but the texture did take some getting used to. I used to worry my skin wasn't "clean" enough, but don't let this stop you from using this product as it does clean and exfoliate very gently without any abrasive, scrubby bits.

I have since moved on to other cleansers but this always hold a special place in my heart as it did help get rid of the breakouts.

on 10/31/2015 8:39:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

This product is now part of my regimen and although it's not the most effective product, I can't see myself doing without it.

It doesn't offer a deep cleanse, I have quite oily skin so using the cleansing gel on its own is ineffective.

I use St Ives Blemish Fighting Scrub before I use the cleansing gel and the Scrub really cleanses my skin while the Enzyme Cleansing Gel soothes and nourishes my skin so it feels luscious and it glows after so yay.