Dr. Bronner's Dr.Bronners Tea Tree Soap

Dr. Bronner's Dr.Bronners Tea Tree Soap
Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap - Tea Tree

4.3

Not tested on animals

Water, Saponfied Organic Coconut Oil*, Saponified Organic Olive Oil*, Organic Glycerin, Organic Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Organic Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Melaleuca Altenafolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Extract, Citric Acid, Tocopherol (* Certified Fair Trade by IMO)

on 6/23/2018 12:56:00 PM

Sigh. I really really wanted to like this.... I have tried this soap multiple times now, and finally i feel ready to give my review. I had never heard of Dr. Bronner’s before until i went to visit my parents. My mom is on this huge “all natural” kick, and raved about this product. She uses the Dr. Bronner’s almond formula (which smells amazing!!!) I did some research, and since my skin is different from hers, I decided to try the tea tree oil formula. My skin is combination oily, but sensitive. Hormonal acne like clockwork in the form of one or two cystic pimples on my chin area that take FOREVER to heal. Clogged pores on my forehead that I have not been able to fully get rid of. And I live in Las Vegas, which means extremely hot, dry temperatures and hard water. Genetics, scorching temperatures, and hard water make for very sad skin. 😔 I used this product only at night. First taking off my makeup with either a makeup removing wipe or a makeup removing cleanser (both Neutrogena,) then using Dr Bronner’s afterward. A couple drops in my hand, lather, apply, rinse. I used Thayer’s witch hazel toner to clean off any residue after cleansing (which is my holy grail!! But that’s for another review), then applied Differin and Cerave or Laneige moisturizer. ***Let me add that this is my normal night routine, the only thing I did was switch out my normal Cerave face wash with Dr Bronner’s.*** My skin did not feel overly dry after cleansing (don’t get the tea tree formula in your eyes though!) and felt soft to the touch. I went to sleep feeling pretty good. On each of my “experiments,” I had no breakouts the first night. With continuous use, a couple days later was when my skin went crazy. I literally woke up with new pimples on my forehead, huge ones on my cheek (and I NEVER break out on my cheek area), and a very painful area on my chin. Those who have cystic acne know that tingling and sore area on your chin is the first warning sign that something huge is going to pop up in a couple days. I was horrified and I immediately discontinued using it. After it happened the first time, I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt by trying it one last time. Since the second “experiment” yielded the same result, I can confidently say that I will NEVER let this stuff near my face again. I have gone back to my previous routine and I am happy to report that my skin is clearing up, although the cystic pimple on my chin took weeks to heal. Now to just get rid of those acne scars... BTW: for any of you thinking that my skin was purging, it was not. Tea tree oil is antibacterial and antiseptic, while other products like salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide or retinoids actually exfoliate and increase the skin cell turnover rate, which bring all those bumps to the surface. Good luck to all of you with finding your holy grail face wash! Sorry for the novel; i just wanted to be as detailed as possible when sharing my experience!

on 5/16/2018 7:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

First, a little background on my skin: around 5th grade I started to notice huge, red pimples on my face. I played a lot of sports and never thought of skin care because well, I was a child doing child things. In middle school, I started to notice red marks on my skin that weren’t pimples and I had NO clue on what the heck they could be. In high school, I still had these problems and no matter what I tried these red marks/hyperpigmentation WOULD NOT GO AWAY. I washed my face religiously and tried a million products. Aztec healing clay, African black soap, etc. I finally gave up and decided to try a whole new skin care routine. Now, my skin isn’t 100% clear from this product yet but I have seen it start to fade with only a few weeks of using it. My skin care routine now consists of: taking my makeup off with neutrogena makeup removing wipes, using my vanity planet spin brush WITH this soap until my face looks like a puffy cloud and then I rinse it off and dry my face. After, I use an aloe Vera gel and rub it all over my face and wait for it to dry and then use a suave moisturizer. I haven’t noticed HUGE results yet but I can say I have noticed the marks to be fading and my pores look less noticeable also.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

Definitely not for face!
When I finally bought this iconic product I had high hopes, that this could be my "all-oner", but nope. I will used is as a hand wash and that's it.

Used as a body wash - is goo for my skin, no irritation, no itching, no unusual dryness, but its hard to use - it leaves some kind of residue, which makes almost impossible to shave my legs. Even if I foam it with water, this foam just disappears the moment i put it on my skin. So the whole process of showering takes much longer with this soap. And this residue somehow is not present, when the skin is dried after shower, but the moment I put a body balm I can feel it again.

Used as face wash - leaves that film\residue, which after a week made my pores looked bigger and the surface of my skin more moon-like. nope- thats not for me.
I'm glad I haven't bought the biggest bottle.

on 5/14/2017 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I am so happy I found this product at a health store 2 months ago. I've been suffering from a breakout from December 2016 - April 2017 and I know this helped in clearing my skin. You can literally feel your face tingle from being so clean. A dowside I noticed though is that this dries out your face like crazy, and even though I might have the oiliest skin possible, I would hate to have dry cracking skin. I have then since been mixing 2 drops of Dr. Bronners with a pump of Spectro and I can't even stress enough how good this combo is for my skin!

on 10/4/2016 9:31:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

This "soap" did nothing for me. I have acne prone skin and its really hard to find something that works for me. This left my skin feeling rough and with an uneven, dull texture. I won't be putting this on my face again.

If you are looking for a natural alternative I would recommend the Antipodes skin care line. The price point is higher, but the Antipodes juliet skin-brightening gel cleanser worked miracles on my skin.

on 9/4/2016 12:02:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have oily, slightly acne prone skin and this stuff has been so awesome as my morning and evening cleanser.

Pros:
-a little goes a long way--one bottle will last me a really really long time
-leaves my face feeling really clean (a little tight feeling which I like, but probably wouldn't be good for dry skin unless you moisturize well afterwards)
-smells nice, like tea tree oil

Cons:
-the lid can get gunked up, but it's easily cleaned
-it's a little on the runny side but not bothersome

on 5/4/2016 12:07:00 PM

I have acne Rosacea and very sensitive skin. I've literally tried everything to help with the dry patches and irritation at the same time. My sister in law and my mother both told me after using this for a month, my skin has never looked better. About $16 but it is for a large bottle and I started to use it all over my body to help with any body break outs also. Tto scent is also pleasant if you do not mind the smell of tto, I find it refreshing. This and vitamin e oil as my moosturizer and I stopped using the face wash my dermatologist gave me. Love this brand completely.

on 2/24/2016 6:05:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I don't get it.
I have been fooled into thinking pH balanced stuff is the only way to cleanse skin, face or body.
I have rediculously sensitive reactive skin that cannot be soothed by the "gentlest" products. Vanicream being an example: The bar soap and cream made my skin sooo red and irritated. Ive tried EVERYTHING. Cerave, cetaphil dove...gosh there isnt much Ive not tried.
To help soothe my skin i take epsom salt baths. I like to clean the tub before hand every time I have a bath but I don't want to use a commercial chemically laden cleaning product so I use Dr. B's.
One day I thought: "why not just try it...?" And I did.
My face didnt fall off lol. But still being freaked out by the pH i didn't continue to use it on my face, but use it on my body.
Well, yesterday and today my face has been insanely itchy and reacting to my favorite bar soap. Feeling angry and fed up, I grabbed the Dr Bronner's bottle and I cleaned my damned skin.The itch went away. My skin looked smooth and calm. Wth? Why does the industry LIE to us? You don't need "pH balanced" stuff. IT'S HYPE. Its a LIE.

Keeping in mind I once used Likas Papaya soap on my face a five years ago (trying to get the permatan out of my skin, tanned skin isn't pretty imo) and the pH of that soap is pretty high, I am going to keep using Dr Bronners, and I bought the bar as Id read it's more moisturizing. I do expect Dr. Bronners to dry my skin out but hey I will do whatever it takes to escape this crazy itch.
***UPDATE*** Yes, this stuff is great. Not for my face tho. Dry dry dry dry skin. I cannot deal with that because I really, really hate moisturizer.

I don't know why people say "This cleared my acne although I still get cysts" well then, the Dr. Bronners isn't doing anything. Having cystic acne is *not* a regular part of life or a "monthly" thing. I have never experienced either except when I am eating a crap diet, or I am sick with a flu or infection (never get) or use skincare that does not agree with me. It's almost ALWAYS diet though. I have never personally known any one who thinks a "cyst now and then" is normal; it's not.
I don't believe the pH hype anymore, because pH "acid" stuff (5.5) makes my skin as itchy as if I were using the most alkaline soap.
I will still buy it though, I love it as a body wash, to do laundry and clean my wood floors & bathtub :D It smells awesome.

on 12/31/2015 5:51:00 PM

I have eczema and having this skin condition is chronic therefore I will always have it but luckily I am able to control it. My go to product was the cortisone 10 but after doing some research I learned that using too much of steroid cream can be bad for your skin overtime so I decided to opt for something different. At first I used the neosperon eczema cream which did nothing to get rid of the itch or redness but it was a bit soothing, however it was not working well for me. So I decided to try dr bonners soap because I read online that tea tree oil is anti bacterial and a natural remedy to help combat eczema and I am so happy that I tried this !! I don't write many reviews I think this is probably my second one and I only write reviews if I think the product is worthy and this one truly is. At first it burns bc my skin was open bc I scratched a lot and bled but I kept at it and would wash it at least twice a day sometimes more depending on how dirty or hot and sweaty the day is. Now less than a week my skin is better and not red and itchy and I even use it for my acne and it cleared it up a lot !! In the picture it's a bit red but it's not scabby at all and scaly like it was before. I am still using this product and will continue !! I am not insecure about my neck anymore I would often wear scarves to hide my eczema bc I was so embarrassed about it . Now I don't have to shy away bc of it and I feel so much better and comftorable in my own skin. It is bc of this soap that my acne cleared up more also but I also used sulfur soap for my acne and for my eczema. Basically what I used for my acne I used for my eczema because my eczema is on my neck so it's easier to use the same products at least for me. Also I used this face sponge by Nexcare and it's amazing !!! I think that all these products used together really helped clear up and soothe my eczema and even helped with my acne! Overall I think it was this soap that did all the work it's bc it's based on tea tree oil and that is a great natural remedy to help fight bacteria and such. I will definitely repurchase !

Before

Full Size Image

After

Full Size Image

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This soap is the only thing that truly works for my skin. I have had acne prone skin for years with close to NOTHING being a solution, natural, organic or conventional. This soap is MAGIC.

I have combination skin (very prone to dry spots but also oily) and all I do it put some of this on my green clay konjac sponge and gently rub the sponge on my face. It gets all my face makeup off (I just wear light foundation and powder) and my face feels so clean and soft post cleansing. I then moisturize with Living Libation's Seabuckthorn Best Skin Ever and BOOM. 2 product routine, that has gotten me my best skin EVER.

I also use this as a body wash, and for the ingredients and price (i've been using the 4oz bottle that was $5) you just can't go wrong. Though maybe if you dislike a tea tree scent, the tea tree does happen to be very strong.

(TIP: If this is drying your skin out, try mixing in a few drops of jojoba oil with a few drops of the soap in your hand. That's what I did when I first started using this on my face, but eventually just used the soap on it's own and found it worked fine for my combination skin.)

Popular Face Skincare Products