Merle Norman Shadow Base

4.2

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

I hope that I am reviewing the correct version of this product. Mine has always come in a small rectangular compact with a mirror, not the round one depicted. This is the 3rd or 4th that I have purchased over about 30 years and the compact has had the same shape and size but has been beige, taupe, and now this one is black.

I am not a Merle Norman user. This product was recommended to me. The record indicated that I had last purchased it in 2011, prior to that 1999! Since the last one I have tried many eye primers including Urban Decay, Tarte 360 Clean Slate, Wet N Wild, and Hard Candy. I think that Merle Norman was early to the eye shadow primer game. I decided to give it another try as I had really liked it and just forgot about it because as I said, I am not a Merle Norman user. It looks and feels just as I remembered. A little bit goes a long way. It looks very nice on the eyelid without any shadow, it gives a bright, wide eyed look. I am looking forward to seeing how it looks with the current generation of eye shadows and will edit if my positive opinion of it changes.

Update: After using for a couple weeks I must say that it really doesn't help the eye shadows stay put for any length of time. I like the way it looks when I don't want to wear eyeshadow but Wet N Wild still is the best that I have tried.

I use the compact version and have used it for years. I tried urban decay and I like this one better. No creases, long lasting, has never let me down.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I purchased the Automatic Eyeshadow base with high hopes of it comparing to UDPP and TFSI. It applies easily and the color is great for my fair skin. My shadows applied easily on top of this, but my eyeshadows started creasing mid-day. A nice product, but I will shell out a few more $ for UDPP.

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

I really though this product would be great, but I hate to say that I did not like it. It is too white. I thought that it was because I put too much on, but when I tried just a little on my lids, it still was to white. I could see it under my eyeshadow. I hate that I wasted so much money on this product.

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Other, Coarse

I tried this today after searching around my area for some inexpensive e/s primers. I live in an area where I'm not easily accessible to places that sell UDPP or TFSI, so I can either drive an hour away to get them or order online. I was in need of some primer badly and decided to try this out. So far, I like this primer as I didn't experience creasing and my shadows had great staying power. It's creamy texture made applying it easy, and the packaging was a hit. It comes in this little compact that looks like an e/s compact so it's easy to get to. This, of course, doesn't out-perform UDPP, but it's my next best alternative until I can get my hands on some. I didn't experience the white-ness (lol) that some here have complained about, so that was a plus for me. It's really not a bad primer for $10. I like it, and chances are I would buy it again in a pinch.

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

This primer is terrible. (Got the automatic primer) It goes on white. And the white is hard to cover with eyeshadow, so the white is showing through. This primer makes my shadow go on all blotchy. It doesn't make eyeshadow go on smooth and even. After this happened I wiped it off and put on the Urban D primer and my shadow went on great. Not all uneven like this primer made it. I've also used Mac paint pot primer with my shadows and they go on just fine. It's just this primer. This primer creases too. Badly. I know it's cheap and it comes with a lot, but don't waste your money on this ladies!!!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I use this everytime I want to look good all day. I know that if I apply it under my eye shadow in the morning, it will look the same before I take it off late that night. It's really good for eyeshadows that tend to flake off or go on too sheer too, as you can layer it more heavily without it caking or creasing. I have dry to normal skin and use the Automatic Shadow Base in the the case. I apply it lightly with a fingertip, then blend any lines away with a sponge before applying eyeshadow. Lasts forever since you need so little.

I'm sure you could get a similar effect with a concealer, but I've never found one with the same texture or staying power as the shadow base.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

If you're tired of creasing or fading shadows-here's your solution. This shadow base lasts FOREVER so it's a great bargain. I like to put mine on with a concealer brush because I use the Automatic shadow base that comes in a little compact. Your eyeshadows will look so velvety and smooth for hours.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I bought yet another today. I have used this and the other version, but found that one to be a bit too drying and I ended up with a white head on my eyelid. I like the way this feels on, not too heavy like other brands that I have tried. I like the packaging, how it is in a compact, not a tube with a wand. Overall, a good product. I will continue to purchase.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

competes with the likes of urban decay and mary kay shadow primers. i love the automatic shadow base... my first one lasted me a year and a half! goes for $12 here. good stuff.