Lac Hydrin Lac Hydrin 12 Cream

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Lac Hydrin Lac Hydrin 12 Cream

4.3

Lac-Hydrin (ammonium lactate) Lotion, contains lactic acid 12% and the following ingredients: Cetyl alcohol, fragrance, glycerin, glyceryl stearate, laureth-4, light mineral oil, magnesium aluminum silicate, methylcellulose, methyl- and propylparabens, PEG-100 stearate, polyoxyl 40 stearate, propylene glycol and water.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Was so bummed out this product was disocuntined but Shopperks Drug Mart recommended Derma Lac to me which is the exact same thing!

on 2/25/2016 1:23:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I just didn't see any results with this. I'm so disappointed, I've been trying it off and on for a long time and it just doesn't make a difference to my skin at all. Would not repurchase.

on 9/17/2014 11:53:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Iím 28 years old and for the past couple of years have had issues with small, skin coloured bumps on my cheeks. They are not dramatically visible but in the sun and certain lights they are. I had tried everything to get rid of them from microdermabrasion, exfoliating religiously, retin-A (which made my skin peel horribly) and other acne treatments. After doing some research I discovered that the bumps on my face are small keratin plugs calls keratosis pilaris. After finally having a name for these things, I started looking up treatments and came across Lac Hydrin 12 so I ran to Shoppers Drug Mart here in Canada and purchased a bottle. Seriously, after applying this cream the very first night, I woke up to smoother skin. I used it again for a couple of nights and my skin was transformed. I didnít use this the other night and woke up with tiny bumps on my face again so applied it last night again. This morning my skin is, once again, smoother. I think I have FINALLY found the answer Iíve been looking for and would totally recommend this for anyone with keratosis pilaris. One thing to note though is that I only use this product at night because it leaves your face quite sticky and shiny.

on 3/15/2012 2:06:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

This is a great moisturizer. I'm not sure what the other reviewers are talking about with the bad smell. It smells like a generic lotion.. and is a bit sticky and white at first. You really have to massage it in, then let it soak in. Once it has soaked in.. your skin is SO soft. I had some bumps on the back of my arms that are now gone. I use it on my legs after shaving as well, and they are no longer irritated. I'm hoping it will fade some old scars on my legs from folliculitis.. that has also cleared thanks to this lotion.

I bought it at shoppers drug mart for 14 dollars. Apparently it is comparable to Am-Lactin.

I used this product a few years ago when I had an outbreak of contact dermatitis on my hands - it was cracked and weeping and had spread all the way to my wrists. It was painful and quite debilitating! I bought a bottle of Lac Hydrin and the excema started to heal almost before my eyes!! After a year and a half of suffering, in about two weeks the rash was almost completely healed. I recommended it to a co-worker who also was plagued with excema on his hands and legs and it also worked for him. The cream certainly stung as I had many open cracks on my hands but i bit the bullet and it was worth the bit of suffering I had to endure for the end result. Haven't had an outbreak since but after reading some of the reviews I am going to try applying it to my face at bed time and see if it helps clear up my complexion! Glad I found these reviews!

Holy Grail HG HG HG. I interchangably use this along with AmLactin lotion, whichever I can find. In the US, Lac Hydrin 12% is an Rx only lotion and I first tried it when my dermatologist prescribed it to me for my dry skin. However, in Canada, it is OTC. Also, just very recently, I have seen it on amazon and ebay, so maybe they changed it's Rx only status in the US?

At any rate, compared to AmLactin, Lac Hydrin feels a bit more sticky and gluey and has a stronger ammonia-like smell, but it dissipates very quickly. As with AmLactin, both will initially slightly sting if you put it on a very irritated or sensitive part of your skin, but you quickly get accustomed to it. It is excellent for dry skin that is so dry that it likes to flake. I haven't had anymore flakey skin trouble since I started using these 2 products. Between AmLactin and LacHydrin, I think the LacHydrin works slightly better, but due to its Rx status and its original retail price in the US (in the $60s if I don't find it on ebay), I mostly use AmLactin ($17 at Costco)

on 9/8/2010 6:33:00 AM

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

This product is quite effective for extremely dry skin conditions, if you can get past the smell and use it regularly. I have trouble with this, even though my derm has me using the 12% rx version. For me, the initial smell diminishes after a short time, then comes back with more intensity after a few hours. It's difficult to be sure I've properly timed being alone when the smell comes back.

My preference is to address the body skin issues with a good glycolic lotion first. If that doesn't work, I go to this and keep my distance from co-workers & friends. I do use this as an emergency hand cream for severe irritation.

It is an effective product for those who need serious dry skin irritation relief but lacks any cosmetic elegance.

on 2/23/2007 3:29:00 PM

I'm a bit on the fence about this stuff. I don't know that it delivers AMAZING results, but it does keep my skin well hydrated and relatively clear. That said, this stuff remains very sticky/tacky after it's applied and doesn't seem to really fully dry. On its own, it has quite an overwhelming ammonia-like smell, AND when mixed with other products, it must create some sort a reaction that creates an almost sulphur-like smell. I can see why people's bed-partners aren't enthused about people wearing this stuff to bed, I can smell it on my own face and I think it smells quite bad. It does work well as a masque, though. I like to apply a reasonably thick layer, let it sit for half an hour, and then rinse off and moisturize. It gives a really nice pick-me-up to my skin when I use it this way, especially if I'm going out or to an event. I have repurchased, but it isn't one of my regularily used or favorite products.
***EDIT: I've really grown to like this product a lot. I use it on my face religiously now, and I have to say, it delivers some pretty fantastic results. My skin is dewy and blemish free (which, trust me- it hasn't always been) , and I use it on its own or with a bit of Tazorac mixed in. It keeps my skin nicely exfoliated to the point where I don't need to use a scrub anymore, and it delivers that "glow" of even, clear skin. I'm still not crazy about the smell or the fact that the lotion always seems to stay slightly sticky, but I'm choosing to overlook those things because of how good my skin looks.

on 11/13/2005 11:18:00 AM

I have a love-hate relationship with this cream: I love it and my bf- who is 11 years younger than me and doesn't understand all the mysterious things I need to do to myself- hates it with a passion. As a body cream, it's decidedly unglamorous, unpleasant smell, sticky, gummy. The taste is vile. My mother's plastic surgeon recommended it to her after her face-lift and glycolic peels as a cheap maintenance plan. I could do cartwheels when I think how well this product works. I use it all over my body every other day, alternating with a body scrub and a heavier moisturizer (my favourite is the body shop's hemp butter with their gorgeous african spa salt scrub and those little exfoliating mittens. ) My skin looks teen-aged with this routine and feels like velvet (I'm 36 and have a thyroid disease which makes my skin dry with a lot of build-up). On the face, it's sticky, strong and unsuitable for daytime. If anyone kisses you their faces will pucker in disgust. A definite romance killer at night, which is such a shame, because combined with a copper serum it's almost scary how fresh you can look the next morning. Almost obscene, like you should put a ribbon in your hair and go skip rope. However, the best application I've found for this miracle cream is this: mix the Lac Hydrin with a french clay face mask (I'm using a cheapo freeman's one at the moment) and apply to a clean face. Let it sit for ten minutes. You can feel it working (it doesn't sting). When you wash it off, you have clean, glowing moisturized skin. Then put your nice, boyfriend friendly moisturizer on and everybody is happy, happy, happy.

Yes! I love love love this product. I've already been through 5 containers. If you have kp, don't waste your money on anything else. This is a great exfoliating moisturizer. Thanks to this, I can wear arm baring tops, even though I swim everyday and have had keratosis pilaris since I was 11. I only use it on my arms though because it makes my legs super itchy. Does anyone else find that when they put it on their legs that they go red, itchy, and the pores on the calves dilate? Maybe I just have sensitive legs, but it's great for my arms.

Popular Lotions / Creams