Garnier Nutrisse Nourishing Color Creme in 535 Medium Golden Mahogany Brown

Garnier Nutrisse Nourishing Color Creme in 535 Medium Golden Mahogany Brown

4.4

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I always go back to Garnier Nutrisse, it lasts the longest in my hair out of all the boxed dyes out there, with the exception of some of the reds. I have used this color (535) in the past and liked it. It's a beautiful medium reddish brown with hits of mahogany. However, lately I have been using darker dyes and this one veered a bit too lighter red for what I wanted this time. But I do not blame the dye, I should have picked something that pulled a little less red/mahogany. I used the No Gray Drops and it covered my grays well. If I ever want to go red again I would try this one in the future. UPDATE 3/13/16: I took off a lippie because even with the No Gray Drops, my grays are popping up after less than three weeks. Still a nice color, just wish the gray coverage was longer lasting.

on 12/18/2014 3:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this based on the reviews and while the color is a pretty reddish brown, the dye smelled very harsh and made my eyes water. Also I found the formula thin and there were definitely drips and splatters. However, conditioner that was included was great. I doubt whether it will last beyond 4 weeks--it didn't seem that concentrated. It's ok for a cheap brand but for next time I think I will go back to Zotos from Sallys.

To Read all 41 Reviews, Login or Join

on 12/5/2014 4:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I used this color a year ago. My hair was left shiny for days and did not feel damaged . The color itself was very harsh against my fair skin but it was beautiful. It begins as a dimensional dark - well, mahogany as the name would suggest and faded into a nice chestnut brown color. Speaking of fading though, on my natural blonde hair it only lasted 4 weeks - but I think that's not unusual of reds. Overall, even now I can still look back on this dye fondly - even if it didn't suit me.

on 7/3/2014 2:55:00 AM

Hmmm.. It is hard to describe this color because it has so many facets to it.

On one hand, it is a reddish medium brown, but on the other, (as my SO likes to tell me) it is a warm "oak" color.

As others have said, it is incredibly natural looking. Definitely not the usual flat shades you'll receive from a box. The formula is good, I like that it didn't drip, was easy to rinse out and left my hair shiny afterwards (although not as shiny as Colorsilk does) but it is a bit dry and frizzy now. It also stung my eyes some. It fades beautifully and becomes a warmer medium brown by the day.

Ultimately, it is not that flattering on my pale, olive skin tone (deep, darker browns look more natural on me) but I cannot deny that this is truly a beautiful, unique, warm oak brown color. Very pretty.

on 8/21/2013 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

As most of the other reviewers have said, this really is a lovely shade of reddish brown. It made my hair look vibrant, shiny, and "alive".

The one and only downside is that the smell is a bit harsh and made my eyes water when applying it. Also, if you have sensitive skin, it may cause some discomfort to your scalp. I was beginning to worry that I'd be losing handfuls of hair when rinsing it out, but I was pleasantly surprised when I lost no more than normal.

I would definitely buy this again.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This is a perfect medium-brown auburn. The coloring process leaves my hair so shiny and soft afterwards. This color does lighten my dark brown hair and plays up the red highlights. I've also tried 525 and 525 comes out much more dark with extremely subtle red highlights that you can only see in the sun. 535 is more visibly bronze. I'm so impressed with this haircolor, I will definitely buy again.

on 6/10/2013 9:37:00 PM

I absolutely adore this color!

My hair was a very dark brown with a lot of red to it, and after spending over $150 I had a whole head of highlights out in to lighten it up. I really liked my highlights, but after 5 weeks my hair was already in need of recoloring and I wasn't prepared to spend that much money on the upkeep of my hair.

I decided to go back to Garnier Nutrisse hair color because it was my favorite go-to hair color. I wanted to choose a color lighter than my usual choice, so I tried the Chocolate Caramel shade. O.M.G. This color is perfection! It is the prettiest brown I have ever used, and my highlights do still show through really nicely. It's not too dark, it's not orangey at all, and my hair is so soft. My highlights had really dried out my hair, and those pieces are really soft again.

I am so happy I chose this color!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I was HATING this dye as I applied it. I was in a hurry and I resented having to open and mix in the extra "fruit oil concentrate" or whatever. So gimmicky, couldn't they have added it to one of the other components and spared the planet the extra packaging? The formula dripped everywhere and the smell/vapors were so noxious that I had to leave the bathroom several times to get fresh air. I've been dying my hair for years (including bleaching my hair twice) and have tried lots of different products and I've never encountered something that made my eyes sting like this. But in the end, it was totally worth it. I LOVE the color. On my light red base with medium ash brown roots, dye left on for 35 minutes, I ended up with a gorgeous dark auburn that looks good in all types of light. My hair seems to be in about the same condition, but does look healthier. The color is more red than I would have expected looking at the box and definitely more beautiful. This may be weird, but the color strikes me as classier than a lot of other auburns because it looks like it could be natural. I think I've found my HG hair color (for now, anyway!).

Brown with a twist! Have used Garnier Nutrisse for years and have tried most of the colours and highlights kits with great results. I bought this colour in Germany last summer as 5.35 Golden Auburn Brown (now impossible to find for some reason) and I used it last week. My hair was a dark blonde with highlights and because it is winter and my skin is pale, I decided to try this one for a change. The result is a wonderful natural rich brown with auburn highlights. My hair is much thicker with lots of shine and this colour really suits my pale (yellow undertone) complexion with brown eyes. I live in Mexico City now and have been looking for the local or USA equivalent. Picked up Caramelo 57 Light Golden Mahogany Brown (made in Mexico) which has the same pic on the front and colour chart on the side. I hope it gives me similar results next time I colour ... fingers and toes crossed!

I don't like the smell of the hair colour but it fades quickly and the condition leaves my hair nice and soft.

on 6/28/2012 6:08:00 PM

This is my FAVORITE hair color EVERRR! I have naturally dark blonde hair (level 7N) and have used this color for years. My hair naturally has red and gold in it so it especially pulls red from lifting or dyes that I put on it. When I first put this on, It is more of a brown-auburn, similar to that on the box. But after a few weeks when it begins to fade it's much more of a red w/brown in it... which is what I really love. But outside in the sun, it's pretty much all red. The only problem I have is that it' so hard to find! It's always out of stock!

If your hair is anything lighter than a brown, I'm not sure this is for you unless your goal is to have it be a little more of a "natural" dark red shade. If you want it to look and stay like the box, only use it if your hair is that dark to begin with to just enhance the shade.