Drugstore Witch hazel

4.3

Price: $

Price: $

distilled witch hazel BP

If you think alcohol is bad for you because of paulas choice than read this article. Alcohol is not bad for your skin!!! Please take a couple minutes reading other research.

Basically paulas research is based off, if you ingest alcohol...with is totally different and many, many of paulas products contain multiple alcohols. Please research alcohol and the actual pharmacology of it. Yes... it can be drying to harsh doses-or too many... but actually alcohol amplifies and helps products penetrate deeper so let's think of it magnifying witchhazels effects or any product.
I pick my pimples to a point of scabbing and this helps it heal faster
Great toner

Aftershave
Toner
Been used forever

Con's
some contains almost no witchhazel.

Hi MakeupAlley,

~ Before you continue your "Witch Hazel" inexpensive toner, PLEASE Read This! ~
Witch hazel is BAD for YOU and here's WHY. Alcohol!!! Alcohol based "astringent" such as witch hazel or anything that has alcohol in it, is NOT a toner! These toners should be avoided because they cause free-radical damage and irritation, which hurts your skin's ability to repair itself and damages it's ability to produce healthy collagen! Do Not use any toners that contains irritating ingredients like alcohol, citrus, or overly fragrant ingredients, whether they are natural or synthetic. Irritation hurts your skin's healing process and it reduces healthy collagen production. Toner's for oily skin need to be especially careful or they can cause more problems. They can make blemishes worse and stimulate more oil production at the base of the pore. You will see more oil than before, your skin will have an overall redness, longer lasting red marks, dry, flaky surface of your skin, and underneath you will still have very oily skin!

The solution is you will need a gentle alcohol free toner. Then you will start to see less dryness and reduced oiliness. With an ongoing use of a complete skincare routine, you will see enlarged pores become smaller. The right toner gives your skin a healthy dose of what it needs to look younger, fresher and smoother right after cleansing and throughout the day. For more information about what skincare or toner is best for you and your skin type please go to Paulaschoice.com. .... I hope that this Information will help you and your skin look and feel like it's supposed to be. Happy and healthy! Good Luck MUA! ( I have been I'm the same shoes that you are in right now, trust me when I tell you that there is hope and there are more answers today than when I was a teenager!) 😉

To Read all 124 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/14/2016 12:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I have fair, crazy sensitive combination skin, and at 45, still getting the random zit every so often. Store brand witch hazel is step 2 in the face cleaning, great toner, gentle, doesn't irritate, cheap as dirt, great antiseptic for scrapes, cuts, but bites too. I mostly use it on the T zone, with a cotton pad. That is where I need it.I should have listened to my Mom, now in her 70s, she has used it since she was a teenager.
I have tried everything it seems to cleanse, moisturize, help keep wrinkles away, spent to much $ on pricey stuff, and now, funny thing, I've got my sensitive skin care routine down, and its all inexpensive. Wal-Mart brand Cetaphil cleanser in big pump bottle with a konjac sponge, witch hazel, Ceravie PM moisturizer, and A&D butt cream around the eyes and on lips. Nothing over $10, skin has never looked or felt better. *bliss* so more $ for new lippies and eyeshadow and fun stuff! :)

on 3/12/2016 2:47:00 PM

I use a brand called Earthrise who make a witch hazel distillate with 0.15% methylparaben.

I'm still new to toner in my skincare regimen and so am not yet 100% sold on their importance or purpose. In any case, I rub it on after a wipe down with Lush ultrabland, wait for it to dry, and marvel. All I can say is that my skin looks unnaturally healthy after toning. Imperfections dissolve and my complexion seems utterly flawless, for a moment in time, before I apply my moisturizer and hope the spell remains unbroken (it does not).

Will probably buy again. It costs pocket change and is otherwise a great, versatile single-ingredient product to have around (I mix my own makeup remover with it and jojoba oil!). I've become a fan of using one substance at a time on my body ever since switching from shampoo and conditioner to baking soda and vinegar.

Oh! And since it's so pure, unlike perfumed varieties, you really get the full witch hazel experience: it smells like black forest ham.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I've seen so many rave about what witch hazel has done for their skin over the years. It's in so many praised formulations, and is perfect for my skintype (oily/acne prone) in theory.

But... I hate it. In fact I now refuse to buy any skincare products containing witch hazel. The ingredient just doesn't play well with my skin. This took a while to figure out. My judgement was clouded by all the hype surrounding the ingredient. I kept trying different formulations, brands, products, ect. The result was the same each time.

Witch hazel actually breaks me out. I always feel a film left on my skin whenever I apply any products containing it. Even toners containing it leave my skin feeling dirty. To add insult to injury, which hazel is often a replacement ingredient in formulations for rubbing alcohol. Yet my skin ends up just as irritated. I'd actually be better off smearing isopropyl alcohol on my face because at least the alcohol leaves my skin feeling clean (albeit tomato red).

As you can tell I'm not repurchasing this. Yet I want to be honest and FAIR by noting that I still believe witch hazel is worth a try for all the acne-prone readers out there. It didn't work for me, but skincare is very your-mileage-may-vary. If you do notice more irritation or acne while using this however... don't continue trying to "make it work".

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I have been using Walmart witch hazel after Dickinson's smell became really gross about 4-5 years ago. It almost smelled like kerosene just all of a sudden. It was shortly before they decided to make their bottles fancier.

The smell of the Walmart brand same formula is alot more neutral and of course affordable. I don't need fancy bottles just an effective formula that is a total dupe for the Dickinson's.

I have been using some version of this witch hazel/alcohol combo for at least twelve years and I would not be without it. I love that its gentle enough to use year round and would not be without it.

Prior to that the only toners I ever used were Clinique's and Sea Breeze. Both became too harsh and irritating (maybe due to coloring and menthol) on my aging skin but this stuff is great.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have been using regular drugstore witch hazel for about three months now and I think it is what has cleared my acne. I have oily skin so I'm one of the people who uses oil sheets to blot at least once a day. I use witch hazel as a toner (day and night) and it really makes my skin feel tighter and cleaner. I feel like it removes all my leftover make up while it fights my acne. I spend $1.50 on a bottle that lasts me about a month.

Also, it does not dry out my skin like I thought it would but I do make sure to moisturize about a minute after it soaks into my skin.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I've used a bunch of different toners before, and going "all natural" with witch hazel was my best decision ever. Picked up a cheap bottle from Walmart. I've been using it for several months now. Works just as good as any other toner I've used for a fraction of the price! Skin feels refreshed, clean, all traces of dirt/makeup are removed. Never feels harsh on skin...no burning/stinging sensations that I've noticed.

UPDATE: I don't really use toners anymore because I feel it's unnecessary. But should I ever go back, this would definitely be the only "toner" product I'd use on my skin!

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I highly recommend using witch hazel as a toner if you have oily or combination skin, particularly in summer months. It has natural astringent properties and is gentler than a lot of the commercial toners on the market. It helps balance my skin and clean any excess impurities remaining after I wash my face. After wiping my face with witch hazel toner, I lock in the moisture with a light facial oil. Please note that some witch hazel toners do contain alcohol, others may contain essence or other ingredients. Overall, a fantastic, affordable, natural product!

on 6/18/2014 9:59:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I got a 16 oz bottle for $1.56 at Target (The Up & Up brand). That come out to less than $0.10 per oz of witch hazel. I use this as a toner after cleansing, on cuts and scrapes, and in homemade face and hair masks. It doesn't sting my oily skin and scalp and helps clarify them well. It's so cheap and can be found at any drugstore! I transferred the liquid to a cute bottle I found antiquing so it looks cute on my bathroom counter :)