Eau Thermal Avene Retrinal

Filtered by eye Color : Hazel
Eau Thermal Avene Retrinal

4.6

INGREDIENTS: Water (aqua), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Squalane, propylene Glycol, Glycol Montanate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, BHT, Butylparaben, Carbomer, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Prolylparaben, Red 33 (CI 17200), Retinal, Triethanolamine

on 10/26/2017 8:54:00 PM

I've bought this several times. The nurse at the Med-Spa recommended it for my fair, oily, sensitive, acne-and-rosacea prone skin. (I wanted Retin-A, which was working miracles for my sister, and she said "Nope.") I used Retrinal for awhile in the spring and did appreciate the steady results. It has moisturizing properties, yet still seems to refine. But my skin regresses to total teen angst in the summer, so I switched to OTC Differin Gel, and that really helped with the breakouts. I haven't used Avene enough to be as ecstatic about the results as some are, but I am reaching for it again now that cooler weather is here and Differin Gel leaves me with dry patches. It seems much more beneficial to me in cold weather.

on 4/29/2013 10:29:00 AM

RESEARCH:
I've been researching retinoid-based creams for months now. I chose this one because it seems to be the highest effective functionalization (aldehyde) before you go to prescription-strength (acids). FYI, the retinol in CVS products like ROC is an alcohol. For a comprehensive list, check here:

SKIN:
I have fair skin which tends to be sensitive, dry and prone to hormonal acne, large pores, white heads with a dash of KP around the cheeks. It is virtually impossible for me to find a product that will not aggravate anything and I find that my skin behaves better if I just cleanse it with warm water and nothing else! Retinoid is something I haven't tried yet so I felt hopeful - since there are very few main chemicals that I haven't tried yet - only thing that my face and body can deal with was benzyl peroxide (4%) once a month, everything else either doesn't help or makes things worse.

PURCHASE:
Avene was a little was a little difficult to find since it is one of those "available through spas" products. After a bit of search, I settled on getting it from http://www.dermstore.com/ which shipped it promptly with a couple of freebies thrown in. I bought the 0.05%.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
A week before my Avene arrived, I received a free sample from Sephora of a DERMAdoctor Physical Therapy exfoliator (still in search for something other that water to clean my face with). http://www.dermadoctor.com/best-sellers/physical-chemistry-facial-microdermabrasion-multiacid-chemical-peel.html
Miraculously, it did not irritate my skin (I've tried other high-end scrubs and my face turns red) and I was pleased with the results.

I used the scrub before my first application of Avene. To apply use a pea amount and dab around the face. Then work it in. About 4 days later, I repeated the scrub and Avene. I did this at night. The cream absorbs immediately, leaving skin soft.

RESULTS WEEK 1:
No unusual breaking out. My cheeks which were bumpy are incredibly soft, I can't stop touching them! The pores around the nose look less dark but the whiteheads are still there. Flakiness around week-old zit scars is gone too.

RESULTS WEEK 3:
I continue to use this every 3 days and it seems to be clearing out the pores nicely. A little push with a nail and most of the clogs slide right out. I had a break out on the chin but it lasted only about half the time it usually lasts. The Kp-like bumps around the cheeks seem to be gone for good now. Time to start using this every other day and look into getting a good night cream.

RESULTS WEEK 5:
So the much anticipated "retinoid purge" has arrived. This is a mixed blessing. On one hand pores that were so deeply clogged and closed that it's become a permanent feature on the face all of a sudden opened up. Again, I had to use mechanical means but the sebum was very hard and slipped right out (sorry, being a bit graphic here). On the other hand, it feels like there is gunk perpetually oozing out of my skin and it's making the foundation look strange and flaky. I stopped using foundation for a while and switched to Juice Beauty CC Cream. The scrub definitely helps here. Find something gentle enough that you can use every day. Any agitated pores heal within a day so despite the retinoid reaction, it still seems like the skin is better now than it was before.

on 1/28/2010 2:31:00 PM

Avene Retrinal saved my skin.
I have fair, sensitive rosacea skin. It took about a year using this mild formula, my skin can't take strong retinols. But it was worth the wait. I still use .5% 2 nights on 1 night off, but may consider going up to .1%. If you want something that won't irritate ,but will exfoliate slowly, this is it.

on 2/7/2009 2:41:00 PM

I'm using the .1% Retrinal about 2x a week, and it is working well at smoothing out my lines, and improving my blotchy skin's texture. I was a devoted user of the dc'ed Avene Ystheal Gel. I love and miss that one! I never had irritation, and had perfect skin, even w/ the low % of retinaldehyde in it. The Retrinal is not quite as good, but is the closest I've found. (Never tried Rx retinoids, not ready to deal w/ daily irritation.)

Other Avene formulas didn't work for me. (Ystheal & lotion, and Eluage gel .05... both = clogged pores, with no effect on my skin's texture.) The .1% Retrinal works on my lip and eye fine lines, and my forehead wrinkles are less noticeable. Overall skin texture is a little smoother. This doesn't feel heavy, and hasn't clogged my pores. I get mild dryness a day after using it, but some of that is due to the cold winter weather. I sometimes mix this with PC Antioxidant Serum or Vanicream. Using it this way, I've never had irritation or redness. Biggest complaint is the price. I got it online for about $45, but I see it going for $55-$65 in other places. I will buy it again... grudgingly. A little tube lasts a long time, but that's just ridiculous.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I consider myself lucky to have found a great skin care clinic in my area. I noticed that they carried Avene products and I bought the Retrinal .05. I have finished the tube and can say that my skin looks better than it did 10 years ago. It helps with the prevention of fine lines and minimizes pores. I have always had oily skin in my t-zone, but I am dry around my cheeks and parts of my forehead. This has not caused me any trouble at all. Great stuff, I am moving on to the 0.1 next!!