Avene Retrinal

Filtered by eye Color : Brown
Avene Retrinal

4.5

INGREDIENTS: Water (aqua), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Squalane, propylene Glycol, Glycol Montanate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, BHT, Butylparaben, Carbomer, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Prolylparaben, Red 33 (CI 17200), Retinal, Triethanolamine

The Avene Retrinal 0.1 Intensive Cream was only the second product I've ever tried from this brand so I wasn't quite sure what to expect, especially since the only other product I'd tried was their Thermal Spring Water. I was quite pleasantly surprised by the Avene Retrinal, which is their retinol cream, that they have in two different strengths. This 0.1 is the stronger of the two; their other version is .05 Retrinal Intensive Cream. I loved the consistency of this in that it is a cream that is also hydrating and give skin some good antioxidants, vitamin e, and also a few peptides. I love that this is fragrance free (and also paraben free for those looking to avoid them). I would definitely purchase more from the brand. It is a little expensive but not outrageously so. My video review can be seen here:

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I have been using RetrinAL 0.05 for almost 3 months now, and it is superb. The first retinol product I've ever tried. I'm 35, have dry, sensitive skin prone to rosacea and redness. A lot of things like harsh cleansers, SLS, and most acids give me instant rosacea outbreaks. But, since I had never tried retinol, I was curious to try it and settled on Avene because of good reviews and because my experience with the brand was pretty good. Their products seem well-designed for sensitive skins, even though they use a lot of petrochemicals. Almost everything I've tried, with only one exception, was well tolerated on my skin. So... the RetrinAL 0.05. I just use this on every 3rd night, to minimize any potential reaction. I've also read that you don't need to use retinol more than 3 times a week in your 30s. I had no weird peeling / redness reaction at all, although I think maybe after the first or second week, my skin felt slightly more sensitive than usual. That faded, and now I look forward to using this cream, because it means that I'll wake up with radiant skin. It shrinks pores, smooths the surface, and gives that glow that we all want. This is probably the best cream I've ever used, tbh, because it is quantifiably doing something. I love it and think it was worth the money. I use the matching eye cream too.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I bought this cream in the 0.1% strength. I am pushing 30 and I've started to notice slightly disturbing changes in my skin since my teens: larger pores on my cheeks (particularly the area closer to my nose) and worsening of genetic hyper pigmentation (think Lucy Liu freckles, except much lighter and just on the tops of my cheeks), some fine lines starting to develop but not much wrinkling. General coarsening of my skin: this I wanted to improve.

This cream has been delivering in all of the ways I had hoped for. My skin tolerates the concentration of retrinal and the formulation does not break me out. It is helping fade the horrendous breakout I developed when I tried Neutrogena Rapid Tone Repair: for some reason, the two times I've tried any of Neutrogena's products with the "Accelerated Retinol SA" I've ended up with the worst skin of my life, with NONE of the benefits Retrinal gives me.

I'd like to sum up by saying that if you want a cream in the $20 range, I recommend Neutrogena's Healthy Skin night cream with retinol. It's been around forever, and it is actually the reason I wanted to try a stronger vit A derivative: it gives me the benefits of Retrinal, albeit to a lesser degree.

To me, it's worth the $40-$60 for Retrinal. My skin has really improved quite a bit in the past month. I also experienced some purging for the first time in my life: I used to think cosmetic and cystic acne such as that which I got with Accelerated Retinol SA was "purging": it is not. It's not inflammatory pimples that are caused by purging: comedones start surfacing because the retrinal is working its' magic. When the comedones do happen to get infected, they create a minor surface pimple usually with the comedone visible at the surface of the skin.

Since Retin A micro (the only prescription retinoid I've tried) was much too irritating for me as a 22 year old, I'm not willing to risk the side effects again. For me, Retinal 0.1% is my new secret weapon (not a weak toy!), and I'm really excited about the upcoming months! One caveat to the whole Retrinal thing: I am experiencing mild irritation on my nose (esp from exposure to wind) and dryer skin. However, Cerave PM has solved that issue satisfactorily.

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

I use this at night along with my Revlon Eterna 27 cream with Progenitin, the most effective moisturizer I've found. Because the Revlon is old school from the 1960's, I like to drop some "science" with it. So under it I use the Avene Retrinal 0.1, SkinMedica Retinol Complex (also gentle but less heavy duty), or Kinerase C8 Peptide. The Avene is an extremely gentle and effective retinol cream. I have tried La Roche Posay and ROC versions of retinol creams, but find this Avene version to be superior in terms of gentleness. It does as an effective job at reducing fine lines and brightening. I am able to put it around my eye area without it burning. I like that I can enjoy the benefits of this cream under my eyes.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I got this after reading all the great reviews. I used it once and then returned it. Caused me to break out and made my skin rough with flaky patches. After one use! I prefer Peter Thomas Roth Retinal Fusion for my supersensitive skin.

on 8/6/2011 3:53:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

HG stuff so far.
Thanks to med school and residency, i grew my first noticable grey hairs and naso-labial folds. :( i missed my baby face. LOL i've always applied spf 30+ sunscreen since my mid 20's and still manage to obtain few sunspots and wrinkles here in FL.
anyway, after doing research on effective anti-aging creams for skin, retinal and its derivatives are the scientific proven way to slow or control life's aging process topically. So i decided to get this.
After few months of usage of avene .1% retrinal, i notice my face more smoother, radiant than before. skin looks plumper.
after several months of usage (say over 4 months or more), i notice my less obvious sunspots (woohooo!) and naso-labial wrinkles are eh, not so much improvement. :( yes, they are still there and very stubborn and i know avene isnt the answer to it (treatment of choice for naso-labial folds: restyalane injection). there are times i notice my N-L wrinkles are making me look like a marionette puppet and there are times, i look like a 20 yr. old. LOL
i trully think proper hydration and healthy eating have alot to do on how ur skin looks overall....and i notice more hydrated i am, obviously a little less obvious that hated n-l wrinkle looks.
i think this is a great product. takes alot of patience to see results depending what u want to see. wrinkles will take months, and if deeper, probably very minimal minor noticable change to no change. Almost instant results in few weeks include: smoother, plump, evenly toned, radiant skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Pros:
It works for me (a staple have bought over 10 bottles in the past 3 years).
Form of Vitamin A that "gently" relaxes wrinkles.
Minimal Fragrance compared to the other lines
A little goes a long way.

Cons:
Price - was $64, (as of 7/2/2012 - now $69)
So little product for price 1oz.
Over the counter Retinol needs the help of prescription grade.

on 8/11/2009 10:29:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I am 45 years old with very oily and acne prone skin. I was starting to get fine lines under my eyes and began using the .1% retrinal about three weeks ago. Let me tell you....this is a miracle product because those lines have diminished so much that they are nondetectable! My skin is as smooth as can be and blotches are diminishing. I am constantly getting compliments on "smooth" complection. I make sure to use it nightly and do not have any irritation. The tube should last about 3 months which puts the cost at about $20 per month--the best money I've spent on myself!

on 2/18/2006 10:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

UPDATE: 8/1/07 I upgraded to an RX retinoid (taz cream .1%) in 11/06, and now use Retrinal on body (arms, chest, hands) only, a few times a week. It has completely eliminated the KP on my upper arms, BTW. I still highly, highly recommend this product to anyone who doesn't want to deal with/can't use an RX retinoid.

(This review is for Retrinal, but includes comments on the other Avene retinaldehyde products.)

Started with the Ystheal Gel 12/1/05, first every 3rd night, then every 2nd. The alcohol in it was too drying for me in combo with that in my LRP DP 40 Spray s/s.

Switched to Ystheal Cream around 1/1/06, working up to nightly use. Found it nicely moisturizing, but pore clogging.

Replaced it with Retrinal .05 around a month ago. Currently using that 2 nights out of 3, and Retrinal .1 on the 3rd night. About to go up to alternating the 2 products on a nightly basis, and later, hopefully, Retrinal .1 every day.

Will try to incpororate Diacneal maybe 1 or 2x a week at some future point. Not sure I can handle the glycolic in it.

I'M EXTREMELY PLEASED WITH MY RESULTS FROM THE RETINALDEHYDES: skin is much more even toned, smoother, clearer (spot/blackhead-wise), sunspots and any old red acne marks have faded considerably (a couple have disappeared), wrinkles appear to have softened.

My skin type: 52 y/o, quite sensitive, dryish (especially in winter), with somewhat oily T-zone.

on 2/9/2006 10:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

From what I understand, Retrinal is similar to the Ystheal cream but lighter in texture, comes in varying strengths, and is marketed exclusively in the U.S. and Canada. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

I've been using Retrinal 0.025% for only a week now, so it's too early to comment on its anti-aging properties. What I want to comment on is how much I already love this stuff. I have super-oily/sensitive/acne-prone skin and have been through every drugstore retinol cream or serum, countless high and low-end glycolic concoctions and other so-called "anti-aging" beauty products, and have even recently experimented with Green Cream, to no avail, or complete disaster in the form of peeling, flaking, rawness, irritation, and/or aggravation of acne. I can always tell within a few days of use what sort of problems I'm in for and so far the Retrinal has been nothing short of fabulous. It is very light in texture, absorbs well, and has caused minimal irritation (sometimes my complexion looks slightly flushed). My skin looks smoother and more even-toned, pores are smaller, and my face is much clearer than usual. I experienced a little purging the first few nights, but the blemishes were gone by morning.

Retrinal contains retinaldehyde and comes in 0.025%, 0.05%, and .1% strengths. ***UPDATE*** One month in and I'm even more in love with this stuff! My skin is looking smoother than ever. My face actually looks airbrushed now when I'm wearing just a little powder and *no foundation*. This is a major coup for me!!