Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

3.3

oil

on 7/14/2016 2:21:00 PM

All right, I need to start out, by saying, that when I first used the ocm 2 years ago, it was horrible!! Worst thing I could have done to my face. I have medium to moderate acne and I'm 45 years old .. and it has been like this my whole life, and im a picker, yes I hate to say it, but I am... I wanted to go with a natural face cleanes and get away from as many chemicals as I could....
This is what I know about my skin, and this is impotrant for everyone to know. When i would use commercial products , my skin could not tolerate too many products on it all at once, it was over load for my face and broke me out even more, any product that dries your face out (will) break you out
I always thought my skin was normal sentive.... turns out its normal/combination. ..I have a oily t zone.
But i still wanted to go as chemicals free as possibe in my face cleaning routine..... I looked into a few other options but to no avail, most thing I have tried had too many things in it...
So know what your face can tollerate before you start any natural cleaning routine.
First things first. ....
only use a oil that will not clog your pours this means only use oils that have 0 rating on the comedogenic scale.. do your reaserch!
I sugest using 1 oil only for 2 weeks and see how that oil reacts to your skin. Remember your face should not go throught any ( purge stage), that all the ocm will say is normal.
Your acne should not get worse . It should start to improve the first time you ues it .
I will tell you as well that any one with acne should also look for a oil that has a higher persentages of linoleic oil then oliec oil as this is better for acne skin.....

My method:
Night routine
I use organic sunflower oil, only!
Use clean hands
Put a quarter size amout of oil, rub hands together and apply to dry face I do this for about 1 minute or so but u can do it longer if u want.
I use a clean micro face cloth with warm water, to take the oil off (I DONT STEAM)...as its can cause wrinkles..... who wants that!
Then I use 2 drops of sunflower oil to moisturize, and thats it.

Morring routine:
I use a nowex makeup remover cloth with warm water..
Then I add 2 drops of sunflower oil, to moisterize, and thats it ......

I also use a scrub every other night
1 use table spoon of poppy seeds and 1 teaspoon of sunflower oil.
Method :
Do the ocm for night, but with one change, when you take off your oil use a dry face cloth to wipe off.
Gently massage the scrub over your face, then use a warm face cloth to remove scrub
Finish off with 2 drops of sunflower oil..
I have been doing this for a month now and I have minor to no brake outs at this point...

Take away :
Understand you skin and what it likes, and doesn't like!
Chose a non comedogenic oil rating of 0
Use a oil with a higher percentage of linoleic oil if acne prone
Your skin should never go through a "purge" period. if you break out worse with in the next 3 days your using the wrong oil...

Hope this helps
Willow

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

One thing I want to make very clear is that oil used as a cleanser alone will break me out. Coconut, olive, rosehip...most oils, give me cystic acne. Jojoba and mineral oil are trustworthy in my book as they are not plant based. HOWEVER even those two solely used as a cleanser will leave me with pimples. I've spent a lot of time looking into why and it turns out it's not even the oil itself in this case that's the culprit. It's the fact that oil does not mix with water so little traces of the oil AND make up/SS get left on my skin.

Enter polysorbate 80. This is a cheap emulsifier and changed everything. Emulsifiers make the oil mix with water, and also have cleansing agents in them so the oil rinses CLEAN. Polysorbate 80 actually comes from olives, yet surprisingly does not break me out. Most recipes call for 1/10 emulsifier and 9/10 oil. I put about 6/10 oil and 4/10 emulsifier because I'm not kidding when I say I don't want any oil left behind. This is probably too stripping of an equation for normal skin but I have very oily skin.

My former holy grail cleansers are: Bioderma Sensibio, Simple Micellar Water, and Cerave Hydrating Cleanser. *I would still recommend those in a heartbeat*. I didn't stop using them due to them not working anymore. I stopped using them ONLY because cleansing oil has some slight advantages:

-Cost. I don't skimp when it comes to skincare as you can tell by my reviews, but this is something to consider. Emulsifier from Garden of Wisdom is about $5. Snow River Mineral Oil is about $5. That's $10 total for a bottle that will last you 3-6 months. I was happy to pay $10-$20 a month for cleaner before.

-2 birds with 1 stone. Before I would remove make up with oil and follow up with a cleanser. Cleansing oil now removes my make up/sunscreen and leaves me with very clean skin.

-Less ingredients is a huge pro for my acne-prone/sensitive/rosacea-prone skin. This has 2 ingredients and I know for sure that my skin tolerates both. Premade cleansers have at least 10+ and there's always ingredients I wish I could take out. You get to customize your cleansing oil when you do-it-yourself. My skin is a lot calmer from both not having to double cleanse AND because it agrees with the ingredient list.

Will cleansing oil get rid of your acne? Probably not. I rely on retinoids to take care of that.

It took a total of six years for MUA's skincare board to convince me to do this. I regret not trying it sooner but the initial break outs before I found emulsifiers scared me off. I much prefer making a cleanser oil myself because all of the drugstore "cleansing oils" have too many damn added ingredients and emulsifier is low on the lists.

I do NOT follow the OCM directions of steaming the skin because that will break every capillary on my face. Steaming is bad news for any of us with rosacea.

To Read all 381 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I have oily skin in the t zone and my formerly normal skin elsewhere on the face has begun to look very dry and flaky as ive got older. Regular moisturizers for oily skin are no longer moisturizing enough for my entire face so I decided to give OCM, albeit a modified version of it, a shot.

I use plain old baby oil or baby oil gel (mineral oil is non comedogenic contrary to popular belief and the molecules are too large to penetrate the skin which i think makes this the ideal product plus it's cheap!), Jergens cleansing face cream or coconut oil... Whichever is closest to hand at the end of the day.

I slather the oil all over my face and neck and massage for a few minutes then leave it to sit and allow it to remove my makeup, dissolve any oil based impurities and soften my skin until im ready to shower. I then remove the oil just before my bath with a baby wipe or damp rag and wash my face as normal with my usual cleansing soap and water. I then use a moisturizing cream afterward on damp skin or my retin-a.

This method has helped remove all traces of makeup which I think helps with the preventing the occasional small breakouts I still get and I've noticed that my skin is far softer and feels and looks more balanced. It has also helped tremendously with the dry areas around my nose and those brought on by using retin-a.

Ive never tried the method where only oil is used with no detergent cleanser after. On my skin, I think this would be asking for trouble not to mention ruined pillow cases! But my modified version works great!

On weekends or days I work from home, I apply coconut oil, which can penetrate the skin and has a number of healthful qualities, and leave it on as long as I like. I've had no adverse effects.

Id definitely recommend this method for daily use, preferably in the evening, but especially for those with oily skin or problem skin, I'd suggest removing oil with a mild detergent cleanser following the treatment and ending the routine with a moisturizer suitable for your skin type.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Now let my just start off by saying that I have oily, dehydrated skin. If you do not have dehydrated skin, you may love this method, but I do not. This method is said to be a universal way to cleanse your skin and will yield incredibly, results- it is probably the most hyped up skin cleansing method I have ever encountered. The theory is that it treats oily skin by using oil to break down the oils on your face, and treats dry skin by moisturizing. I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind it's ability to treat acne prone skin, but I imagine it is decent for sensitive skin because your skin isn't being exposed to numerous irritants that are commonly found in cleansers. The recommend formula is around 1 part castor oil to 2 parts of nourishing liquid oils (ex, olive, avocado, sweet almond, grape seed etc), but you can tailor this to meet the needs of your skin. If you have oilier skin, you may prefer more castor oil since it has more cleansing power whereas if you have drier skin, you may prefer less. To start with the pros of this method, it is very cost effective and removes makeup and cleanses at the same time. It also does leave your skin feeling and looking fairly silky and soft. On the other hand, the method is time consuming given that you have to massage the oil into your face for a few minutes, you will also go through an incredible number of wash clothes, and it can be messy. Why this method ultimately doesn't work for me though is that it doesn't treat my issue. Oils are very nourishing for dry skin but my skin isn't dry, it is dehydrated and those are two completely different kettles of fish. Dehydrated skin is dehydrated because it lacks water, not oil. So rubbing oil into it doesn't help, and it really doesn't help to use steam on your face to remove the oil because the heat from the steam sucks more water out of your skin. It actually made my issue worse because I wasn't able to use my Clarisonic which helps to exfoliate off some of those flaky patches! I did use a number of different oils and lowered the amount of castor oil to make sure I was truly giving the method it's best shot but it didn't work for me. I don't think it is a bad method all around but it's success truly depends on what you are trying to target.

on 4/29/2016 9:32:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Let me just start off by saying I have the most sensitive skin ever. Almost everything makes my skin go crazy. But OCM has done wonders for my skin. The key is to do your own research. Don't take advice from random websites telling you which oil is best for you - most of the time, these articles are written by people who don't have a clue. Do your own research by reading up on the properties of the different oils in scientific journals. Make your own informed decision.

I read up on oils for a long time before I decided to dive into it. I use safflower oil to cleanse but do not use cloth to wipe of the oil. Instead, I wash my face thoroughly with warm water multiple times until my skin feels like it isn't oily anymore, just very soft and moisturized. I don't use a cloth because that is way too harsh for my sensitive skin. Then I double cleanse to get rid of the oil on my face.

I have found that OCM is drawing out impurities in my skin. Random acne is coming to head and healing within the day. I'm 2 weeks in and my skin now has a glow I haven't ever had.

My modified OCM works for me and I love it!

on 4/28/2016 12:28:00 AM

Since reading so much about this simple cleansing method I had to try it. My skin is sensitive and acne-prone, but over the past few years the breakouts finally subsided and my skin was more or less clear most of the time. But I still have quite a bit of scarring especially on my cheeks, but even that improved as I've tried chemical peels and derma-rolling with much success. The oils I started using was pumpkin seed oil mixed with castor oil after reading on the Minimalist blog which oils are best to use for acne-prone skin. In the beginning my skin felt absolutely great, super soft and it seemed that all my make-up and foundation came off easily with massaging the oil into the skin and then taking a hot damp washcloth putting it on my face, leaving it on for about 1/2 minute to "steam" and wiping it off, repeating it a couple of times. It seemed to calm my skin in the first couple of weeks. I also noticed that while massaging my face I regularly felt a few grains which apparently were sebum plugs which came loose and made me feel great, ie. the method is working! After about 3 weeks I got a few under the skin lesions/pimples on my cheeks and around the jaw line which just wouldn't disappear. I also looked at my skin with a magnifying mirror and I noticed that some of my pores around my chin and mouth looked plugged, also the thought of not being able to wash my face with water and soap was more and more uncomfortable to me.

Anyway, I started using my regular face wash method again just because I wanted to feel water again on my face and since then I've broken out like never before, my face is an absolute mess - it feels like sandpaper, has spots, pimples and cystic acne all over it again, my cheeks, chin, forehead - simply everywhere! What a nightmare! I'm not sure if this now started due to the oil cleansing or because I went back to regular cleansing with facial cleanser and water. All I know is that I wish I wouldn't have tried this OCM and ruined my greatly improved skin (took a few years to get there!). Definitely lesson learned - not everything written on a blog can work for everyone, even though it sounded so perfect.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I'll keep this short and simple---the OCM destroyed my skin and it's taken years to recover from it. I wanted to go for an all natural route to treat my sensitive, rosacea skin and seeing so much hype about it online, I decided to give it a go. The first week or so everything was nice. Skin soft, not inflamed. After that cystic acne, which I had never had before started to come up. People said to keep going though, your skin is purging, so I carried on. My rosacea started to flair and my skin became inflamed and red, but silly me thought, this might just be my skin getting rid of all the toxins and purging. Well stupidly I carried on for another 6 months or so, till my whole face was red, angry and had cystic acne EVERYWHERE! I had tried every single oil out there, pretty much that people said wouldn't/couldn't cause acne. But they did, all of them. It's been over 2 years since that experiment and it's only now just starting to recover from it. I wish I had never come across this method, my skin has never looked as bad before. If your getting a bad reaction from this, my advice is just to stop as soon as possible. It's your skin's way of saying STOP!

on 4/17/2016 9:46:00 PM

Absolutely horrible - made me break out TERRIBLY, and I haven't broken out in years! I wanted to try the oil cleansing method bc I read about how horrible chemicals are in soap. Oil cleansing made me break out from EVERYTHING, even things I usually do well with, like jojoba oil, which has always been the 1 oil I can use on my face without breaking out. However, when I cleansed my face with jojoba oil, it made me break out. Another thing - I used to make honey masks with Manuka honey on my face all the time - when I tried the oil cleansing method substituted with honey, it made me break out! Even yogurt when I tried to wash my face with it made me break out! As I stated before, I RARELY break out anymore - I used to have a problem with acne in my teens but I'm in the age where I guess I outgrew it - until I tried oil cleansing. Be VERY wary and cautious when trying this, especially if you have sensitive skin or have ever been acne prone - - it can really wreck havoc on your skin!!

I want to add that if you are struggling with acne, Black mud soap is AMAZING!!! Seriously - it will clear your skin right up and is hands down the strongest & most effective product I have ever for acne prone skin, and when I used to break out, I tried them all! Black mud soap was more effective for me than even prescription acne medications like Benzamycin. You can wash your face with black mud soap, and dab a little tea tree oil for spot acne treatments . The kind of black mud soap I use is from the Dead Sea in Israel - you can buy it online.

on 4/5/2016 3:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I use jojobaoil for oil cleansing (pure, not mixed with castor oil) and arganoil as a moisturizer (sometimes mixed with aloe vera gel) and I have never ever had better skin.
I always struggled with extremely oily skin and clogged pores. The oil cleansing thing is actually the only thing ever that finally did something positive to my skin. It is dewy, clean and soft and the oilyness almost completely disappeared. I still get oily sometimes a little bit but in comparison to befor OCM that is literally nothing.

Maybe it is not for everyone as a lot of people seem to not like it but I think that they are kinda doing it wrong. You really have to make sure your oil is not comedogenic (ratings) and I think you should not use castor oil as it can dry out and irritate the skin which can cause acne, breakouts and blackheads.
I also don't recommend steaming, that can lead to irritation and due to that more oil producing.

on 3/31/2016 6:36:00 PM

After doing research on natural skincare, I came across the OCM. Since my skin has been super dry and flaky from the winter and using Tactuo (I have combination, acne-prone skin), I decided to give it a go to see if it would help heal my red, uneven, flaking skin. After much research on the comedogenic ratings of different oils, I decided on cleansing with hemp seed oil and moisturizing with argan oil, both of which have a rating of 0, which means they do not clog pores. I decided against mixing the hemp seed oil with castor oil as castor oil is not non-comedogenic and can cause break outs in acne-prone skin, plus it can cause dryness.

My method: Cleanse with hemp seed oil and warm (not hot) wash cloth as per the usual steps for this method. Then I use either Thayer's Rose water, Witch Hazel, and Aloe toner or my homemade ACV w/ tea tree oil&lavender oil toner, then moisturize with a few drops of argan oil. In the morning before applying makeup I moisturize with a few drops of hemp seed oil as I find it less shiny than the argan and it seems to soak in better and goes well under makeup. I moisturize with argan oil nightly before bed.

After my first cleansing, my skin was super smooth and soft. Softer than it has been in months! I've been using this method for only 3 days, but so far so good. It's surprisingly efficient in removing dirt and makeup and my dryness, flaking, and redness has been drastically reduced. Whiteheads that I had a few days ago I just zapped with some tea tree oil and they are gone. I have noticed two small pimples start to come up, but that is also normal for my skin to have one or two new ones pop up each day, however they have been going away without amounting to anything scary. I will exclusively continue to use this method for a few more weeks to determine if it will cause any breakouts and if not, I will continue to use it as I am quite happy with the moisturizing and healing effects it seems to be having on my skin. My skin is glowy, dewy, and not oily when using this method. It gets a bit oily as usual by mid-day, but nothing significant. Also, since discontinuing my previous face lotion, I have not had any whiteheads develop on my forehead. I now think it was the jojoba oil in my lotion, so never putting that on my face again!

I noticed some bad reviews on the OCM, but I think that not one method will work universally for everyone and acne has different causes, so those need to be addressed prior to choosing any skincare regimen. I also noticed some people did this method with pore clogging oils, such as coconut, grapeseed, olive oil, and jojoba oil. Those do NOT having a rating of 0 and if you are like me where simply looking at something greasy will give you a zit, you will get pimples using those oils and it won't be a "purge" phase. Be very careful with what oil you choose to do this with and it's better to start with either hemp, argan, or sunflower, as those three are the only three that are completely non-comedogenic. If tolerated, maybe experiment with others that rate low, but personally I wouldn't dare put jojoba, olive, grapeseed, castor, or anything with a rating over 1 on my face. Oh and coconut oil, for the love of god ladies do not put that on your face! It's great for hair, body, feet, food...but it will clog the hell out of your pores.