Houbigant Chantilly

Price: $

Price: $

on 8/19/2017 11:28:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I just bought this a few days ago from Rite Aid, and I'm a bit obsessed with it. It's the newest Dana version, and it smells wonderful. The box had a sticker on it that said "New Look, Same Scent". However, I'm pretty sure there was a reformulation, because the juice is lighter than it is in pictures I've seen of previous versions. I actually think they have improved upon it, because the cost was a bit higher than I remember seeing it previously. I paid about $25.00 dollars for a 2.0 ounce bottle of the eau de toilette.

I don't get any of the sharp chemical top notes others have described. This version of Chantilly smells wonderful from the get go. It's a warm, powdery soft scent with a touch of vanilla. It's a vintage smell, which I love. Some people might find it dated, but it just works so beautifully with my body chemistry. Everyone who has smelled it on me says it smells wonderful. It lasts for hours as well. The bottle is a bit cheap looking, but that's a minor bugaboo. It's what's inside that counts. I feel very beautiful when I wear Chantilly and highly recommend it. It smells unique. It makes you stand out, because it's so different from modern perfumes. Chantilly is a classic and I hope it's around for a long time.

on 3/29/2017 10:43:00 AM

Ahhhh, so good! A timeless, comforting, clean-yet-sexy scent. Among my all-time faves. Chantilly was omnipresent during my childhood in the '70s and '80s. The women in my family were very fond of Chantilly, especially the body lotion and cologne splash. The pink lace boxes and the ribbed, diamond-shaped bottles were so pretty. And the smell was even better: citrusy, balsamic, soapy, powdery, soft but enduring..: just so damn great! And unmistakable at first whiff. It was easy to wear and made the whole world feel like a posh, snuggly pink cloud. I loved hugging those who wore it, and I'm sure their men did too!

Chantilly has suffered from reformulation over the years, as the original Houbigant corporation went out of business some time in the '80s and sold the formula, first to Parfums Parquet (named after Houbigant founder Paul Parquet), then to "New Dana", and then in the early '00s to Dana Classic Fragrances.

The Dana Classic version smells cheap as hell; it will only give you the basic idea of Chantilly's bone structure, kind of like a mediocre designer-imposter version. Stick with the original Houbigant or Parfums Parquet versions, which have a deep amber or brown juice (not pale yellow). They are available on eBay for not much money and have held up beautifully over the years. Most eBay sellers include a photo of the box or underside of the bottle so that you can check the manufacturer name easily.

Please don't worry that Chantilly is "old lady perfume," and don't be scared by the color of the juice. Chantilly is a smooth marvel, as relevant today as it ever was, and smells fantastic and alluring on anyone of any age.

on 9/3/2014 11:29:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

My now deceased grandmother (who lived to the age of 96) wore Chantilly for decades. She had the soap, lotion, cream and numerous EDT, EDP, Parfum and limited editions. It was her signature scent. She loved it.

I do not. Not on me, anyway.

on 1/15/2014 9:06:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

With so many reviews saying just how similar Chantilly is to Shalimar is the only reason why I put off buying this for the longest time. Since I already have two bottles of Shalimar EDP, I figured I didn't need Chantilly. After several years agonizing over it (I had acquired Tabu & Toujours Moi early last year, so not adding Chantilly to complete the trifecta seemed like a crime), I recently caved in & bought the EDT. Yes, Chantilly is definitely a loving tribute to Shalimar... the only difference being Chantilly is much lighter & airier, with a soapy edge. So, if you've always wanted to wear the original Shalimar, but find it too heavy & dense (even in the current watered-down version), you might want to give Chantilly a try. Much has been lamented about Dana's so-called 'butchering' of Houbigant's formula... obviously, I'm not familiar with the Houbigant version, but what I'm smelling right now is a slice of HEAVEN. As with Corday's Toujours Moi, Dana has done a terrific job in keeping this 1941 classic alive to be discovered & enjoyed by generations of women.

*From Michael Edwards:

Fragrance Family: Classical Oriental

Notes:
Top: Neroli, Citrus Accord, Lemon
Heart: Clove, Ylang-ylang, Jasmine, Orange Blossom, Rose
Base: Oakmoss, Amber, Tonka Bean, Vanilla, Sandalwood

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Lemony soap. After sneezing my way through both the vintage and today's version of Chantilly, I've decided that although it's a nice scent for my dishwashing liquid, I could never wear this perfume. Unfortunately for me, it doesn't wear very well.
Chantilly opens with a basic lemony true soapy scent. About an hour into wearing it, I was able to detect a faint powdered vanilla fragrance still capturing an aroma of citrus zest, reminding me to clean out my kitchen cabinets. That was the vintage side talking gently to me. The newer formulation was screeching lemon-infused brillo pads at me and screaming "Get To Work Now...Or Else!" I decided to dodge the brillo pads being thrown at me and head for the hills.
At this point I can finally use the term "scrubber" for Chantilly in the truest and purest way of Journalism that I have been taught since college. Off to the sink I go.
Top Notes: Fruity Notes, Neroli, Bergamot, Lemon.
Middle Notes: Spices, Carnation, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Rose, Orange Blossom.
Base Notes: Leather, Tonka Bean, Musk, Benzoin, Oak Moss, Vanilla, Sandalwood.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I love this! It doesn't bring to mind mom memories or even grandma memories as neither of these wonderful ladies wore this. I just smelled it the other day and fell in love. I left it at the store and just had to go back today and get a bottle!!! Powdery delicious concoction! Just exactly what I needed! Ahhh now I feel better.

on 7/19/2012 10:02:00 AM

I wish I had something intellectual or sophisticated to say about this fragrance, but I don't. My mom wore this when I was little, and Chantilly is the smell of being snuggled by her. Nothing could smell as wonderful.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Comforting, calming, feminine, present but never overbearing, floral, honeyed but not cloying, balmy, gently sexy but also a bit maternal. Reminds me of Southern belles sitting on the porch in a summer breeze carrying the scent of honeysuckle.

This is an exceptionally well-balanced, gentle oriental that is never too strong or too much of anything and could be worn in most settings and on most occasions, perhaps barring those that require a strong, very confident power scent. When I need something to calm me and impart a bit of serenity, this is one I reach for. It is a delightfully vintage fragrance but does not smell outdated.

After an hour or so it wears quite close to the skin but doesn't do the infuriating diappearing act of so many modern, sheer fragrances that come closer to water than fragrance. For me that makes Chantilly quite unique: a gentle scent that stays with you for much of the day but does not shout.

I honestly cannot imagine anybody finding this anything other than lovely and pleasant and would wager that those who have given this a poor rating are influenced by its low price and drugstore availability; I'd love to see their ratings after a blind sniff test. It's a holy grail staple for me and an absolute bargain at the price.

on 12/30/2012 1:33:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Beautiful fragrance. Its an oriental that smells floral and slightly powdery. Its warm without being spicy. Ive got a thing for vintage perfumes right and this is one. You only need one spritz of this because it is a bit strong.

on 7/26/2012 9:23:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

My grandmom wears this all the time and I love going to her house and smelling it so she gave me a mini bottle. I do like the smell, it doesn't seem to give me a headache like others do. I mostly like it because it reminds me of my grandmom but it does smell very fresh and powdery. Almost reminds me of the love's baby soft I would get when I was younger

Popular Fragrances