MAC Prep + Prime Lip

MAC Prep and Prime Lip Color baseMAC Prep & Prime Lip Prep + Prime Lip

4.1

on 12/18/2016 1:34:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had completely forgotten about how i discovered this little gem in MAC, but I've never had any lip products that actually prime my lips this well before lipstick. Sure, I spend a lot on trying to find that one miracle lip balm (most drugstore ones failed me), and I've tried my share of lip primers. But this thing works! My friends and I joke that MAC should put this stuff in front of their mirrors, because their matte lipsticks shouldn't be worn / sold without this stuff. It makes most of my drying lipsticks workable. I find it to be a great pair with my MAC lipsticks - I only have them in the matte finish, but they're far too dry and a little tugging without the primer. My lips would flake and have dead skin appearing in the middle of the day under the MAC lipsticks usually. After buying this, you'll never catch me complaining about my love/hate relationship with MAC lipsticks (love the price and colors, hate the drying feeling).

Have you ever had a lipstick that stains and settles into the lip lines at the end of the day, and you find yourself scrubbing your lips for the 20th time with bi-phase makeup remover? Well I have, and this primer prevents that from happening. Especially with liquid lipsticks, one coat of this primer somehow makes them easy to take off at the end of the day, as well as making them less prone to crumbling during the day.
There are certain lipsticks (not liquid lipstick) that become so intact on my lips after this primer, that I don't even leave lip stains / transfer of color on my cigarette. The weartime is therefore significantly longer.

Oh and don't forget that you have to let this primer sit for a minute before applying lipstick. This way it becomes tacky and makes the lipstick wear longer. What I usually do is using a thick moisturizing lip balm for like 20 minutes when I am doing my face, then wipe it off, apply prep + prime, apply cheek color (by this stage I've already chosen the lipstick to wear, so I know the blusher too), then do my lips. It keeps the color there all day.

on 11/5/2016 5:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My primer was broken as of the very first twist of the tube! So I could not properly use it. Besides this, I do not understand the hype. My lipstick or gloss does not stay longer in place with this product. YSL lip perfector is so much better.

I absolutely love this product! One of the MAC artists told me that if I wanted to save some money, I can pretty much use any low budget lipstick as long as I have this primer. And I must say, he was absolutely right. This makes any cheapie lipstick look just-applied, last longer and doesn't settle into fine lines. I have a lot of drugstore lippies (Wet n' Wild mostly) and I always use this primer underneath. I will forever thank him for this invaluable tip! :)

on 9/24/2016 3:39:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

First, I have to thank those who reviewed this product--it helped me to find a new HG and solve a really annoying daily problem. I have lines around my lips (aging is not fun) and have started to have problems with lip products bleeding. This puts an end to that nonsense. I use it similarly to the way Wifeandmama describes in her review below--apply to clean, moisturized lips and a bit outside the lipline, apply a colorless liner, colored lipliner inside that, and then my lip product of the day. (And you really do need to let it get tacky before you apply lip color for it to work properly, which is a very short time.) It really does keep whatever I choose to wear on my lips from bleeding (even gloss and non-matte liquid lipstick), seems to smooth the surface of my lips so any product looks better, and keeps my lips moisturized without glossiness/slipperiness. I find that one application is enough for a day's wear. It has the faint, vanilla-y scent of MAC lipsticks and the same faint scent, which I find pleasant, and goes on easily and smoothly, like an excellent quality lipbalm. I particularly like the wonderful, smooth feel of the product, and that it persists even under the driest of matte lip products. I've tried this and ELF's version, and although the ELF product works well, the MAC version works just a little better for me. I'll keep buying this (although you need so little per application that it'll last quite sometime) as long as MAC keeps making it.

11/26/16--Folks, if you really have lip lines and problems with lip products bleeding, here's what I'm doing that eliminates those problems all day.

- Outline lips with a thin concealer pencil (Judith August or MAC Chromatographic are my faves) and blend.
- When you've applied most of your makeup (I do this right before I curl lashes/put on mascara), apply Prep+Prime over the lip line (outside and inside--I no longer put it all over my lips as it makes them look a bit dry). Let it get tacky.
- Powder (I use LM loose Translucent) over where you applied the Prep+Prime.
- Now apply lipliner and lip color.

I'm able to get a really defined lip line with liner by doing this, and it doesn't look as though I've built a barrier around my lips to do it. When trying to apply liner over Prep+Prime without powdering, it seemed as though the pencil had nothing to grab onto and slid around. (If I'm wearing a dark shade, I apply a bit of powder over the lipliner for extra insurance.) And this keeps everything in place, except gloss, even with eating and drinking, with minimal loss of color and no sliding/bleeding all day.

I hope this helps someone. I'm so pleased that I can get great results with this.

on 7/9/2016 7:12:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

It's $33. Pricey!

I use this product to prime my lips for lipstick. The texture kind of feels like a thick lip balm. It smooths out my lips, and make them feel softer. It's not greasy. It leaves a bit of a tacky residue if you let it dry enough. I really cannot tell if it increases the longevity of my lipstick. What I do like about it is how portable it is. It's a thin tube, easily fits into your make up kit.

There is enough product to last a few months, depending on how regularly you use the product.

At this point, when I do run out, I will not be repurchasing this product. It doesn't harm my lips. But the benefits aren't that great, either. I am sure there must be other lip products that do the same thing, at a fraction of the cost.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have used this for years and honestly can't imagine wearing lipstick without it anymore. I am of a certain age, with tiny little lines around my mouth. Yeah, it stinks but is what it is. This stuff rescues me.

On clean, moisturized lips, I apply a bit of this all over the lips (only crank up a little bit, otherwise I hear that it will fall out). It feels like a light balm at first and has no discernible scent (well, okay, maybe a little vanilla-ish, but faint). I then go around the outside of my lip line with UD Ultimate Ozone. I let the Prep+Prime lip treatment get a bit tacky (takes about a minute, maybe, bUT is very important to let it get this way). Then, if i'm using a colored liner (and often do, just for extra longevity), I apply that, smudge the edges a bit, and put my lipstick on top. Sounds like a lot of steps but it's not, honest. I have great luck using this combination to ensure smooth long-lasting color on my lips. Works well with any lipstick, really, but I am partial to MAC (all formulas) and UD Revolution (now Vice).

It helps smooth out vertical lines on your lips so nothing gets hung up there. It also acts as a great barrier when you're wearing really matte lipsticks, helps keep the dryness away.

One tube of this stuff lasts a very long time. I keep one in my makeup kit at home and one in my purse, and both have lasted months. You don't need much of it, and touch-ups rarely require going through all the steps again (unless you'very eaten a full meal). Usually, another slick of lipstick and you are good to go.

Ymmv, of course, but I consider this an essential part of my everyday makeup.

on 6/26/2016 9:25:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is honestly so useful below any lip product you wear!
It's really moisturizing and fills in smally natural lines on the lips and I really reach out to it alot. I really think that this IS helpful and anyone should have it.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have 2 of these 1 is MIA but I find it really helpful as a base for lipsticks. ESP MAC the mattes like CYY or even the Lipglasses. It just fills in the lines & crevices on your lips. It is expensive yes, NYX has a dupe similar but not quite as good. I will buy again. I wanted prep + prime & my dad got me the lip by accident lol nice accident coz I discovered a product I really like!! I'm a MAC junkie, I could do my entire face in MAC (lol) I'm that "MAC gurL" if you love MAC lippies u need this! I didn't think this was a necessary step at first, but it's essential to lippies. It will extend their lives quite a bit. I personally don't mind this extra step. Put on my liplliner then this then wait about a minute & apply lipstick then matching Lipglass I don't know if I'm doing it correctly by putting my liner on first but that's how I do it to get a precise line. IJS. No problems w the packaging here for me.

on 5/20/2016 8:45:00 PM

Amazing lip primer for lipstick. I am old, and have lines around my lips. If I don't use Prep + Prime Lip, then any lipstick I wear will bleed into the lines. I moisturize first Paula's Choice lip balm. Pat that on, wait a minute, then gently bolt the excess. Then I put on the Prep + Prime Lip. That must set for a couple of minutes. Once set, then I pat some face powder over the Prep + Prime, and use a powder brush to brush off the excess powder. Then using a lip brush I line my lips with what ever lip stick I am planning to use, be it matte or shiny. Then I fill in with the lip same lip colour. Voilá, no bleeding. Lots of people talk about this as it it is supposed to moisturize. It does not. It is a primer, if it was moisturizing that would defeat its purpose, which is to stop colour bleeding into lines around lips. Moisturize before putting on this primer. It's works really well, I would not be without it.

After you use Prep+Prime Lip, it does help you to put on a drying lipstick such as Ruby Woo. However, your lips look really dry and wrinkly with white film looking thing on your lips by the end of the day. I don't know that thin film and all the wrinkles are from Ruby Woo or Prep +Prime Lip. It doesn't really matter. Because this only means Prep+Prime Lip doesn't actually moisturize your lips, it just adds a thin layer of glossy film on your lips. That's why a drying lipstick can glide on.

Oh! Did I tell you how little product you get for your $20. This thing costs about the same as a Mac Lipstick but the volume is only half of a regular MAC lipstick.

It is a major disappointment! MAC has a lot of products that are duds.