MAC Prep + Prime Lip

MAC Prep and Prime Lip Color baseMAC Prep & Prime Lip Prep + Prime Lip

on 9/24/2016 3:39:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

First, I have to thank those who reviewed this product--it helped me to find a new HG and solve a really annoying daily problem. I have lines around my lips (aging is not fun) and have started to have problems with lip products bleeding. This puts an end to that nonsense. I use it similarly to the way Wifeandmama describes in her review below--apply to clean, moisturized lips and a bit outside the lipline, apply a colorless liner, colored lipliner inside that, and then my lip product of the day. (And you really do need to let it get tacky before you apply lip color for it to work properly, which is a very short time.) It really does keep whatever I choose to wear on my lips from bleeding (even gloss and non-matte liquid lipstick), seems to smooth the surface of my lips so any product looks better, and keeps my lips moisturized without glossiness/slipperiness. I find that one application is enough for a day's wear. It has the faint, vanilla-y scent of MAC lipsticks and the same faint scent, which I find pleasant, and goes on easily and smoothly, like an excellent quality lipbalm. I particularly like the wonderful, smooth feel of the product, and that it persists even under the driest of matte lip products. I've tried this and ELF's version, and although the ELF product works well, the MAC version works just a little better for me. I'll keep buying this (although you need so little per application that it'll last quite sometime) as long as MAC keeps making it.

on 7/9/2016 7:12:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

It's $33. Pricey!

I use this product to prime my lips for lipstick. The texture kind of feels like a thick lip balm. It smooths out my lips, and make them feel softer. It's not greasy. It leaves a bit of a tacky residue if you let it dry enough. I really cannot tell if it increases the longevity of my lipstick. What I do like about it is how portable it is. It's a thin tube, easily fits into your make up kit.

There is enough product to last a few months, depending on how regularly you use the product.

At this point, when I do run out, I will not be repurchasing this product. It doesn't harm my lips. But the benefits aren't that great, either. I am sure there must be other lip products that do the same thing, at a fraction of the cost.

To Read all 202 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have used this for years and honestly can't imagine wearing lipstick without it anymore. I am of a certain age, with tiny little lines around my mouth. Yeah, it stinks but is what it is. This stuff rescues me.

On clean, moisturized lips, I apply a bit of this all over the lips (only crank up a little bit, otherwise I hear that it will fall out). It feels like a light balm at first and has no discernible scent (well, okay, maybe a little vanilla-ish, but faint). I then go around the outside of my lip line with UD Ultimate Ozone. I let the Prep+Prime lip treatment get a bit tacky (takes about a minute, maybe, bUT is very important to let it get this way). Then, if i'm using a colored liner (and often do, just for extra longevity), I apply that, smudge the edges a bit, and put my lipstick on top. Sounds like a lot of steps but it's not, honest. I have great luck using this combination to ensure smooth long-lasting color on my lips. Works well with any lipstick, really, but I am partial to MAC (all formulas) and UD Revolution (now Vice).

It helps smooth out vertical lines on your lips so nothing gets hung up there. It also acts as a great barrier when you're wearing really matte lipsticks, helps keep the dryness away.

One tube of this stuff lasts a very long time. I keep one in my makeup kit at home and one in my purse, and both have lasted months. You don't need much of it, and touch-ups rarely require going through all the steps again (unless you'very eaten a full meal). Usually, another slick of lipstick and you are good to go.

Ymmv, of course, but I consider this an essential part of my everyday makeup.

on 6/26/2016 9:25:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is honestly so useful below any lip product you wear!
It's really moisturizing and fills in smally natural lines on the lips and I really reach out to it alot. I really think that this IS helpful and anyone should have it.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have 2 of these 1 is MIA but I find it really helpful as a base for lipsticks. ESP MAC the mattes like CYY or even the Lipglasses. It just fills in the lines & crevices on your lips. It is expensive yes, NYX has a dupe similar but not quite as good. I will buy again. I wanted prep + prime & my dad got me the lip by accident lol nice accident coz I discovered a product I really like!! I'm a MAC junkie, I could do my entire face in MAC (lol) I'm that "MAC gurL" if you love MAC lippies u need this! I didn't think this was a necessary step at first, but it's essential to lippies. It will extend their lives quite a bit. I personally don't mind this extra step. Put on my liplliner then this then wait about a minute & apply lipstick then matching Lipglass I don't know if I'm doing it correctly by putting my liner on first but that's how I do it to get a precise line. IJS. No problems w the packaging here for me.

on 5/20/2016 8:45:00 PM

Amazing lip primer for lipstick. I am old, and have lines around my lips. If I don't use Prep + Prime Lip, then any lipstick I wear will bleed into the lines. I moisturize first Paula's Choice lip balm. Pat that on, wait a minute, then gently bolt the excess. Then I put on the Prep + Prime Lip. That must set for a couple of minutes. Once set, then I pat some face powder over the Prep + Prime, and use a powder brush to brush off the excess powder. Then using a lip brush I line my lips with what ever lip stick I am planning to use, be it matte or shiny. Then I fill in with the lip same lip colour. Voilá, no bleeding. Lots of people talk about this as it it is supposed to moisturize. It does not. It is a primer, if it was moisturizing that would defeat its purpose, which is to stop colour bleeding into lines around lips. Moisturize before putting on this primer. It's works really well, I would not be without it.

After you use Prep+Prime Lip, it does help you to put on a drying lipstick such as Ruby Woo. However, your lips look really dry and wrinkly with white film looking thing on your lips by the end of the day. I don't know that thin film and all the wrinkles are from Ruby Woo or Prep +Prime Lip. It doesn't really matter. Because this only means Prep+Prime Lip doesn't actually moisturize your lips, it just adds a thin layer of glossy film on your lips. That's why a drying lipstick can glide on.

Oh! Did I tell you how little product you get for your $20. This thing costs about the same as a Mac Lipstick but the volume is only half of a regular MAC lipstick.

It is a major disappointment! MAC has a lot of products that are duds.

on 3/26/2016 11:34:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Not great, not bad. Nothing more than a moisturising lip balm with a matte finish to me! I really like the packaging as it is small, light and slim, perfect for any cosmetic bag or travelling. Won't buy again as there are other lip products I have found to be more useful.

on 3/26/2016 11:23:00 AM

Ladies, if you want to do the Dita red lips, grab this baby. Makes the Ruby Woo/Russian/Von Teese go on nice and smooth and stay put for hours. Even the cheapie drugstore stuff works like a charm over this. Yes, the packaging could use a little work. Be careful and only roll out the teeny bit you need. Otherwise, total love.

on 2/15/2016 12:15:00 PM

I bought this because a YT guru recommended using a lip primer before using liquid lipstick if you feel they are drying. I find that it completely ruins the staying power of liquid lipsticks, yet they are just as dry using this. Thus, not recommended for use before liquid lipstick. However, it is very good for use before matte lipstick, or any other lipstick when you want a balmy feeling on your lips. Smells like vanilla. Sort of sticky, kind of like a base coat you use on your nails is a little sticky so the polish adheres. I don't have anything to compare this to, since I've never used any other lip primer, but I like it.