MAC Prep + Prime Lip

MAC Prep + Prime Lip
MAC Prep and Prime Lip Color baseMAC Prep & Prime Lip Prep + Prime Lip

4.1

on 5/11/2018 8:24:00 PM

I dont really understand the point of this . Its not really moisturizing, is not helpful in keeping lipstick on and is expensive. I much prefer the NYX lip primer

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I remember wondering what the point of a lip primer was, and then my mid-thirties hit and I started getting these tiny lines around my lips that creamy lipsticks or glosses would sink into. At first I just used lip liner, but sometimes I don't want to alter the color of my lipstick. And another problem I was having was that matte lipsticks were looking crepe-y on my lips, giving them that not so sexy butthole look. I tried a cheap primer by Ulta, and it just made my lips feel more dry, same with Colourpop. Finally I gave in and paid way too much for too little product with MAC, but I was finally able to see the point of a lip primer! It goes on slick, but sets to a matte (but not dry) finish, smoothing all those lip lines along the way. It helps lipstick look better and smoother, and also improves wear! I primarily wear this one under matte lipsticks for the smoothing properties, but for keeping lipstick from creeping into lip lines, I prefer the fat Urban Decay Ozone pencil.

on 2/4/2018 4:18:00 AM

Very good under matte lips! Keeps it moist! Most of all I think I’m addicted to the vanilla smell and taste! It’s intoxicating! I love this product!!!!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

A color-free lipstick base that adds light moisture, smooths and refines

on 2/4/2018 2:06:00 AM

Pretty damn expensive for what it is, but it leaves a certain tackiness to the lips that feels more like a barrier than anything. I have no idea if it makes my lip products any longer lasting than without, but what I use it for is... using it with MAC lipsticks lmao. Mac lipsticks for some reason make my lips peel now, but when I use this, it lessens or completely riddens that effect, and I'm happy with that, despite how little product there is in this tube for what it is. No, the Colourpop one is not a dupe. Yes, I would repurchase because I'd like to get some actual use out of my MAC lipsticks (or any other lipsticks that make my lips peel for that matter!)

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I struggle with lipsticks because they dry my lips so horribly. This solved that. However, it is expensive, and I only dropped it once and it broke. Now I have to dig it out? Be careful, it's delicate.

on 4/3/2017 3:53:00 PM

Complete and utter waste of money!
First of all, it doesn't perform that great as a primer, in fact it seems to make lipstick apply unevenly.
But that's not the worst...the worst is the packaging. I had read reviews saying you have to be careful and not get too much of the product out of the tube because it falls off easily, so I carefully only let out maybe 5 millimeters of product each time I used it. By 3rd use, the tube fell off! It just won't adhere at the base. Now you'd think a well known company like MAC would take in consideration the complaints they have clearly had for years and do something to fix the issue, but nope!
Carelessness because their product sells anyway? Disregard for their customers? Whatever it is, they should be ashamed of themselves.

I am returning this crap because it's not worth the $25 I paid for it.

on 3/20/2017 3:52:00 AM

It's a kinda useless product imo. U don't really need it. I have dry lips and this is ok for a layer on beofre ur drying matte lippys but I don't find it moisturizes much more than using a lip balm.u don't get that much product for 30+ dollars. Would I buy again. Na!

on 3/5/2017 5:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

I purchased this after reading other review on the product and I have great results. I use this under all my lipsticks, not just MAC and it helps them to go on smoothly. It keeps lipstick application from skipping or looking patchy. It also helps keep liquid lipstick from cracking or crumbling on my lips. I still apply this over a little lip balm but I wait a minute or so till it becomes tacky and then I apply my lip color. I recommend this if you wear lipstick often.

on 12/18/2016 1:34:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had completely forgotten about how i discovered this little gem in MAC, but I've never had any lip products that actually prime my lips this well before lipstick. Sure, I spend a lot on trying to find that one miracle lip balm (most drugstore ones failed me), and I've tried my share of lip primers. But this thing works! My friends and I joke that MAC should put this stuff in front of their mirrors, because their matte lipsticks shouldn't be worn / sold without this stuff. It makes most of my drying lipsticks workable. I find it to be a great pair with my MAC lipsticks - I only have them in the matte finish, but they're far too dry and a little tugging without the primer. My lips would flake and have dead skin appearing in the middle of the day under the MAC lipsticks usually. After buying this, you'll never catch me complaining about my love/hate relationship with MAC lipsticks (love the price and colors, hate the drying feeling).

Have you ever had a lipstick that stains and settles into the lip lines at the end of the day, and you find yourself scrubbing your lips for the 20th time with bi-phase makeup remover? Well I have, and this primer prevents that from happening. Especially with liquid lipsticks, one coat of this primer somehow makes them easy to take off at the end of the day, as well as making them less prone to crumbling during the day.
There are certain lipsticks (not liquid lipstick) that become so intact on my lips after this primer, that I don't even leave lip stains / transfer of color on my cigarette. The weartime is therefore significantly longer.

Oh and don't forget that you have to let this primer sit for a minute before applying lipstick. This way it becomes tacky and makes the lipstick wear longer. What I usually do is using a thick moisturizing lip balm for like 20 minutes when I am doing my face, then wipe it off, apply prep + prime, apply cheek color (by this stage I've already chosen the lipstick to wear, so I know the blusher too), then do my lips. It keeps the color there all day.

Top Rated Lip Treatments