Laura Biagiotti - Roma

Filtered by skin tone : Other
 Laura Biagiotti - Roma

4.5

on 5/12/2006 11:30:00 PM

I have had a love affair with this perfume since high school. One of my dear friends from Rome (I know, too convenient) sent me a mini, and I became obsessed. It was not yet available in the US, or at least in my home town, so I had to wait until I actually went back to Italy to get more. Perhaps the fact that it was new, and so many women in Rome were actually wearing it, fixed the (very literal) association between name of fragrance and city. To this day, it is still at the top of my list. I've never noticed the citrus/bergamot (I love both)...though grapefruit is a distinct possibility... nor do I get the mint; this is creamy amber, balsam, (cedar?), and something floral. (I honestly can't identify the floral, but it's there, part of the overall texture.) The other reviewers who described this as warm and cuddly are dead on. This is a fall/winter perfume; it only works as a summer perfume if you live in the deep south, and have the balmy, heavy night air to complement it. I simply can't praise it enough.

on 1/16/2006 2:13:00 PM

One of the most surprising fragrances, and one of the only two citrus-dominated scents in my collection. I discovered Roma a while back, long before I knew that I abhorred citrus in fragrances. It starts off very lively with bergamot, mint and grapefruit. I actually don't find it to be too sharp on my skin, even in the beginning. The jasmine here is very soft and does not dominate the other notes. Vanilla, even though one of the base notes, gives the fragrance a soft, sensual aura from beginning to end. Eventually it ends up as a warm, soft grapefruit-tinged skin scent. This has been discontinued, but you can still buy Roma on Scentiments.com. Notes: sicilian bergamot, mint rose, jasmine, lily of the valley, patchouli, oakmoss, amberigis and vanilla.

Roma is a recent favorite. I first tried this in a mini form last year; I was attracted by the name and the bottle, frankly. As an old Latinist, I figured I really ought to keep this in my collection, so I eventually bit and bought a full bottle. Roma opens with a bracing shot of grapefruit, black currant bud, and mint. The mint can be pretty strong, but it's something that I like the more I smell it. I wasn't sure about it at first, but it has grown on me considerably. As it develops on the skin, Roma seems to go through a classical drydown. There is a balsamic blend that hovers in the background, adding a subtle complexity to this scent, very reminiscent of the sensual balsamic accord in Shalimar. According to Laura Biagiotti, Roma's balsamic blend, which contains N African myrrh, Siamese ambergris and vanilla, is similar to a mixture actually used by ancient Roman women. When I wear Roma, I really can imagine I'm wending my way to the Colosseum all lit up at night, or feeling the coolness of the Pantheon's interior on a clear spring day. Roma reflects the invigorating excitement and opulence of the eternally ancient city whose name it shares. Brava, Ms Biagiotti!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I am not exactly sure why I barely hear raves about Roma especially since it is a gorgeous ambery, oriental with a beautiful powdery drydown. I'm very thankful to a kindhearted and lovely MUA'er, who shared a decant of this with me. Otherwise, I would never have found out about this wonderful scent! Perfect for evenings and is definitely suited for fall and winter.
For those of you looking for a great bargain, I've seen this deeply discounted at scentiments.com.
Top notes:bergamot, black currant and mint.
Middle notes: carnation, jasmine and rose
Base notes: civet, patchouli and vanilla.
continued >>