3.8

package quality

price range

Reviews

a year ago

this is good enough that it would probably be great for most people, but for severe cuticle problems i found it a bit of a let down. it is mostly lanolin, and a penetrating ingredient. the scent is strong and weird. i got used to it quickly, but it could bother people who are very sensitive to fragrances. this autumn and winter i had really bad cuticles with hangnails, dryness, cracking, thickening, bleeding, you name it, this didn't make that much of a difference on its own. i was hoping most to heal my skin, and this didn't really help. its better at softening the eponychium so that it recedes back away from the nail plate without the use of any tools, but even for this purpose i find it works better layered over other products, especially oil. it makes the nail feel a little stronger, but to the extent that many other products do too. it is sticky, you need very little. it soaks in if you massage. if it still feels sticky i find leaving it alone for a few seconds while i work on the other hand works and it absorbs then. i should mention i don't have much of a problem with the true cuticle, those dried bits that cling to the nail. when i do it's easy to remove without expensive products. it's actually my eponychium that tends to get dry and rough and crack. perhaps this would work better at softening the actual dry cuticle that clings to the nail. since it didn't help heal my nail area and i was desperate, i went and picked up lemony flutter that solved multiple problems at once and healed the painful cracks. this product is expensive imo. it was like eleven euro. i can get it to soften my nail fold now that my hands aren't so bad, but i feel like when you pay eleven barnacles for a product intended for problem areas, it should work quite decently, and on it's own, not layered over three natural oils and butters. i am using it up, like i said, it's an okay product now that i don't have major problems, but i get nice results when i'm not having major problems with much cheaper things too. if you don't mind paying for a product to do what you can do with things you already have at home, and don't have stubborn issues with the nail area, it would do. for maintenance, it's good. i think it might also be good for people whose eponychium is quite wide and crawls up the nail plate, but if you want to try it for that i recommend using it after an oil treatment for maximum results. i don't recommend for painful cracks or hangnails. if you need urgent relief and coconut/ jojoba/ vitamin e/ oil soaking isn't cutting it, try lemony flutter instead (healed the contact dermatitis flare on my hands as well). i won't repurchase, but maybe when i've used up my other products ill try a cheap nipple cream/lanolin ointment for cuticle maintenance (as i doubt there can be much difference).

About reviewer (91 reviews)

SkinVery Dry, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrown, Wavy, Medium

EyesHazel

3 years ago

My HG cuticle cream. My cuticles get hard an dry very quick - both on hands and feet. A tiny drop is needed for the cuticles on one hand/foot. In 5-10 minutes the cuticles are gone and my hands and feet look clean and neat. I later wash them with soap to take off the smell. Or take the cream with nail remover. Smell doesn't bother me so much because no other cream, and I've tried literally everything on the market, gives the same wonderful results. The price is expensive but there is a lot of product. One package lasts a year - that's a long period because I use it weekly on both hands and feet.

About reviewer (7 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBlond, Straight, Fine

4 years ago

Winter and cold weather can be very hard on my hands and no matter how often i apply hand lotion it just doesn't seem to help in moisturizing my cuticles. I ended up having very dry, cracked, splitting cuticles. Not a very good sight but mavala cuticle cream has been a savior. I apply this before going to bed and leave it on overnight. First time i used this cream I have immediately noticed improvements on my cuticles and after using it for 5 straight days my cuticles had never looked this good during winter time. Now my manicure looks so much better too. The cream is yellowish in color with very thick consistency and comes in 15ml squeeze tube. Only a teeny tiny bit of cream is already enough to soak your cuticles in moisture. The only small complain I have is the strong smell which reminds me of a cheap old men's pomade. I'm not sure how much this cream cost in other places but i got mine for €8 which I think is reasonable. Mavala is a Swiss made product and I find their quality to be very good specially their nail care range.

About reviewer (198 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Medium

HairBlack

EyesBlack

4 years ago

I never needed to remove my cuticles again. Awesome Product. I applyed a layer and leave it to be absorved.

About reviewer (4 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Wavy, Coarse

7 years ago

My job requires a lot of hand washing which leaves me with dry/rough cuticles. Unfortunately Mavala Penetrating Cuticle Cream is unsuitable for use throughout the day because it's greasy and slow to absorb but at night, it's earned it's place in my must-haves. I wish it came with a finer-point/nozzle - you only need a tiny amount and that's not easy with the tube as is and I wish it had a better smell to it but considering the benefits it brings, I'm willing to put up with it. I no longer have hangnails that result in me constantly picking at with some painful and nasty looking results. Packaging and smell aside - this is my go-to at night.

Age56 & Over

SkinDry, Fair

HairBlond

8 years ago

I was expecting a lot from this product but it did not turn out to be what I expected. I saw a friend using this and she says this saved her from having manicures. I ran to the store and got myself one immediately for I believe maniucures make my nails more brittle and I really liked the idea of not having manicures any more. Unfortunately the product does not absorb well, I have to massage and massage and massage my fingertips for a good 20 minute for the product to absorb, and even than it just sits on the top of my cuticles, not absorbing completely. Who has the time for it? I need something that is quick to absorb! I will continue to use but won't be purchasing when it runs out.

About reviewer (94 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairRed, Straight, Fine

2.0

10 years ago

I think this is a so-so cuticle cream. It does moisturize, but not for very long, so you do need to reapply often. It is also quite greasy and smell strangely of men's shaving cream, Barbasol to be exact. I'm quite disappointed with Mavala, they used mineral oil and petroleum jelly in this product (2 products that really don't need to be used in this high end lines formulas imho), and if I had read the ingredients list prior to purchasing, I would never have bought it. I'll stick with Burt's Bees or CND Rejuvenate.

About reviewer (506 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairBrunette, Curly, Fine

EyesBlue

12 years ago

I picked "would buy again" eventhough I'm not quite sure. It has worked well and I've used several tubes. The only thing I just can't bare is the smell. Which ingredient smells so bad that it has to be covered with this stench? My skin has a weird habit of getting used to products. This one is no different. After I've gotten half way the tube(which by the takes a long time)this doesn't work as well anymore and no matter how often I apply, it doesn't do it's job anymore. Eventhough I hate the smell, I will probably, at some point purchase this again. And again...

About reviewer (60 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

13 years ago

This cream is really grate for my super dry cuticles. A little goes a long way and I think it absorbs quite fast. But! I really hate the smell. It smells like cheap cologne or something. I actually avoid using this because of the smell. But it's the best I've found so far and I always go back to it. So if you're not sensitive to perfume like I am, this is grate.

Age19-24

SkinCombination, Other

HairBrown

2.0

13 years ago

Honestly I did not realize any diffence, except a sticky feeling around my nails. Now I am using body shop almond cuticle cream and it works well.

Age25-29