4.1

package quality

price range

Reviews

6 years ago

I have normal/ dry from retinA skin. I have tried many other cleansers & ALWAYS come back to this. (Derm gave me bar when i was pregnant 8 yrs ago & had a strange rash from my daily facial cloths) It does dry my skin a little too much somedays, but it cleans it so well- & it doesn't burn or irritate my skin like a lot of other cleansers do. I have gotten to where I am afraid to try anything new bc I either get dry skin, acne, or a rash from fragrance any time I stray. Never used the liquid version. May try it this winter.

About reviewer (11 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinDry, Medium

HairBrown

3.0

6 years ago

HOLY CROW! I've passed this bar up many times, until recently I saw the study compared the three most commonly used bar cleansers that have a pH 5.5-6. etaphil is one of them, dove is another. Remember, we not talking about soap. Castile is soap, with a pH of 14. Ivory, Pears, Camay, et al all have pH ranges that are between 8 and 14. I've tested them all with lab pH test strips (litmus strips) when you use alkaline cleansing products you are destroying your acid mantle. You will get the worst acne of your life unless you respect the pH people. Just a note on that: Men and women have different pH levels of the aid mantle due to hormones. Men on average have an acid mantle pH of 5 and women 6. When it comes down to the question "what makes great skin" it's diet, as in a balanced, alkaline diet, water, free from flouride, and gentle pH balanced cleansers. Dove is example. They say it's got a pH of seven but it varies from 6-7. That's ok...but Dove contains Lauric Acid, a highly comedogenic ingredient. Then we have CetapHil. I've been using it 3 days now. My skin is not dry, not irritated and stuff is coming out if my pores in a non-inflamed fashion. ***UPDATE*** Damn it. Started getting those bumps and nasolabial area, which is a clear indication of contact dermatitis. If not there, then around the eyes. I suspect it's the fragrance, which is quite strong however pleasant. I'm going to have to put this bar down and try something else I guess. ***UPDATE*** 3 weeks later-no...it's not the CetapHil. I have cut out everything except this bar and aloevera juice/orange water I mixed myself in a stainless steel mister. As soon as I added back in a certain BHA liquid, I saw signs of irritation again. I'm going to keep going with this and eliminate anything irritating, since I know this bar isn't one of the offenders ***Update*** A month later and I broke out in a strange dry rash in a line along my cheek. The masking fragrance is deleterious to my skin, clearly. If they would just take the parfum out, it would be perfect. I've written the company with this complaint, and if you feel so inclined, I'd advise you to do likewise.

About reviewer (318 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinDry, Olive, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Fine

6 years ago

I seriously am OBSESSED with this product. I'm suprised by people saying this made them break out since i have the most acne prone skin ever! ( break out from changing my detergent, face wash, shampoo, conditioner , anything!) This is the only product that calms my skin. I always go back to using this product.. one thing i will say is i find the product in the bar to be very different from the pump fash wash, I bought the pump one time when on promotion and broke out and found the texture and formula so different. If you have acne prone skin/ super oily in spots/ super dry in spots this is a must have!

About reviewer (9 reviews)

SkinVery Oily, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

EyesGray

6 years ago

I ran out of my expensive facial cleanser and decided to try this cleansing bar because Cetaphil has such a good reputation, it's affordable, and I could have it delivered with my grocery order. I figured if it didn't work on my face, I'd just use it as hand soap. Turns out I like it better on my face than the expensive cleanser I had been using. I put my hair back, wash my face with it, including my eyelids and eyelashes, splash with lukewarm water until it's gone, and dry my face. It takes off ALL my makeup, including several coats of waterproof mascara, and leaves my skin soft and comfortable feeling. I'm thrilled to bits. Some reviewers have mentioned a scent, but I don't smell it. My skin is normal/oily, somewhat sensitive, and acne prone. I am happy with this bar.

About reviewer (48 reviews)

Age

SkinDry, Fair-Medium, Cool

HairGrey, Wavy, Medium

EyesGreen

1.0

6 years ago

Made me break out incredibly bad and felt like it clogged all my pores up. Now i am trying to fix my skin :(

About reviewer (9 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Olive

HairBlond

2.0

6 years ago

I love Cetaphil! I have used the liquid version for years but wanted to try the bar as its a bit cheaper. I actually prefer this over the liquid not just because its cheaper but because it removes my make up better. You only need to wet the bar a bit and it will give you a great lather. This does have a bit of a fragrance smell which I dislike. The smell isn't horrible or anything I just prefer fragrance free products for my face. This doesn't irritate my skin and I like how its soap free. This does a great job of removing my make up which includes a good amount of mascara. When rinsing the cleanser off, my skin feels clean and soft, not dry and stripped like a bar of soap would do. I will definitely repurchase this when I run out. I have struggled with acne for years. I've had times where my skin cleared up then all of a sudden the acne is back with a vengeance. This brand has always been very gentle with my skin and hasn't caused any additional acne or skin concerns. I am a bit nervous of the fragrance in this product causing irritation as I advised but so far so good. If not, I will keep you posted :) UPDATE I just wanted to update my review and change the rating from a 5 to a 2.At first I loved this bar cleanser,it did a great job with removing my makeup and I didn't seem to have a reaction to it. However I found that no matter how careful I was, the cleanser was always getting into my eyes and boy does it sting. My skin was also becoming allot dryer, I was getting an uncomfortable tight feeling especially on my t zone. And the worst of it all was I started getting break outs :( I stopped using this for awhile and my skin started clearing up. I used the soap again and the next day I had some pimples. I recently switched to the Neutrogena extra gently cleanser and am having great luck with that. I will not repurchase this again.

About reviewer (58 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Fair, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Fine

EyesHazel

6 years ago

I love the cetaphil soap bar.It's so foamy and creamy and really helps clean off all my makeup including eye makeup. It's cheap and easy to take with me whenever i travel i just pop it in a plastic baggy. This is my holy grail of face wash.

About reviewer (7 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Olive

HairBrunette

EyesBlue

from

6 years ago

I have been using this product for YEARS ! i have tried high end brands as well as lower end and nothing works for my skin like cetaphil does! I use it day and night all over my body to prevent break outs everywhere and it is amazing ! i have very sensitive skin and i am not really prone to major break outs that much but the times that i have stopped using it just to search around i have definitly noticed how much my skin LOVES and NEEDS cetaphil.. it can get your skin a little dry and i think its because soaps tend to do that a bit so if you have dry skin i would recomend the cleanser that comes in the bottle rather then the actual soap .. TRY it you wont regret it !

About reviewer (1 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair

HairBlond

6 years ago

This is honestly the only product that has been able to have a significant impact on my oily, acne - prone skin. I've tried many different products that have worked for a few days, but then resulted in the same thing - dried out, irritated skin that began to break out worse than before using the product. It has taken a few weeks to completely clear up my skin, but I can now say that washing my face once a day with this soap I no longer have acne. My skin has smoothed out and is no longer bumpy or red. I do moisturize morning and night as this can be drying for sensitive skin, but as long as you moisturize and don't overwash, this product can work wonders. I use it with my Clarisonic Mia.

About reviewer (8 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinOily, Fair, Neutral

HairRed, Straight, Fine

EyesHazel

2.0

7 years ago

I purchased this because of the high rating on Makeup Alley. I was really excited to try it, but it is not gentle AT ALL! it made my face sting immediately. I thought it might help with acne, but after only 2 uses, small red bumps start to appear on the side of my face! I've never had this happen to me before... this is horrible, I don't understand why so many people recommend this.

About reviewer (5 reviews)

SkinOily, Fair-Medium