Walgreens - Alpha Hydroxy Lotion 8%

Walgreens - Alpha Hydroxy Lotion 8%Enter Title

4.3

Price: $

Price: $

INGREDIENTS: WATER, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, GLYCOLIC ACID, ISOPROPYL PALMITATE, STEARIC ACID, AMMONIUM HYDROXIDE, GLYCERYL STEARATE, PEG-100 STEARATE, CETYL ALCOHOL, ISOSTEARIC ACID, DIMETHICONE, HYDROXYETHYLCELLULOSE, MAGNESIUM ALUMINUM SILICATE, PEG-40 STEARATE, SORBITAN STEARATE, SORBIC ACID, BHT, IMIDAZOLIDINYL UREA.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I have very sensitive, dry skin and and it is hard to find a good exfoliating product that does not irritate. So many people seem to love this cream an I wanted it to work, but I think it is just too much for my skin to take. It left me with redness and and just an all over feeling of discomfort and a rash on my face. Alpha hydroxy creams will burn slightly on application, but I continued to feel it long after I applied it and I tried it a couple times over a week just to make sure. However, I can use this on the backs of my arms when I have some KP, it is great on my rough knees and elbows and it is fabulous for my feet. Just scrub your feet down, put this all over them, cover with Vaseline, put on socks and sleep in it and you have soft feet in the morning!
I did find a great glycolic cream, the brand is called "Glycoderma" from TJ Maxx with surprisingly a 25% (!) glycolic solution. (I posted a review for it). It works wonders with no irritation whatsoever! This Walgreen's cream is an 8% solution, so I am not sure why the higher percentage in the Glycoderma would not irritate more- maybe they use a different type of glycolic acid.
This cream is great for body exfoliation for me, just not so good for the face. The price is really good at about $9 for a large jar (wish it was a pump dispenser). I think Walgreens is calling their house brand "Studio 35" now, but they do still carry this cream. I think it is a knock-off of the Neoteric brand Alpha Hydrox 10% cream, which is also a pretty good glycolic cream and did not cause me too much irritation. I used that about one time a week before I found the Glycoderma. You can sometimes find the Alpha Hydrox brand in the red box at TJ Maxx or you can go to the Neoteric website, they have many products.
This is a great cream if you need that extra exfoliation and are not too sensitive. Or if you want some help with KP and soft elbows, knees and feet!

on 11/28/2015 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

this was my first "old lady" cream! And it hold a special place in my heart. I just turned 36 and as a picture of myself from my birthday with-gasp-crowd feet. Admittedly-I never used to moisturizer, or take care of my skin. This was the first of many products I've bought this year and it's really the only one I need-with a. Good moisturizer. The AHA is fading dark spots and acne scars, I rarely break out anymore, my pores are clear, and my wrinkles are going away. I own dorm expensive stuff too, but this is truly the best product I own and I imagine I'll use it for the rest of my life, or as long as they carry it.

The tub is gross but whatever-most night creams come in tubs. Buy some disposable spatulas online. It can sting but just don't use too much. Use the logon test cream on your face first so everything g gets absorbed-I cleanse, tone, put on my Stila brightening serum, then my Garnier sleeping mask, then this. Every night. And I've noticed a HUGE difference just in the two months I've been doing this. I feel younger and more confident about my appearance.

on 12/8/2014 2:49:00 PM

This is my HG treatment cream. I am 28 and just beginning to explore the world of AHAs and Retinol. Prescription Retin A is too expensive for me and at this point I think, unnecessary. This low cost cream ($8) in its simple, unassuming package does the trick for me. I do not have heavy wrinkles but using this cream at night keeps the fine lines and early signs of aging from appearing on my face. It make my face smooth and glowing and helps me keep my pores clean. I have also noticed lesser acne breakouts if I am consistent with this cream. Being a chemical exfoliant, this cream also helps in reducing my fresh, vivid red acne marks. Of course I do not put it over an active cystic acne. But as soon the acne comedo is gone, I start using this cream over the red spot. It helps in fading the marks out.
Sure, it smells like glue...(actually it smells like nothing to me) and looks white and unimpressive, but you get a massive amount of a pretty significant percentage of AHA for beginners.
I generally sanitize my hands before dipping my fingers into the product. I don't use it every single night as I do not want my skin to grow comfortable with the product and hence render it useless....but I use it every third night. So far, it has been the best facial cream I have come across.
At night, I wash my face with Purpose Gentle Face Wash, tone my face with a cotton round doused in either witch hazel or chilled rose water, and then apply this cream. With my skin type, I do not need a moisturizer on top. A little goes a long way and I have had my tub of cream for almost a year now. In the morning, I wake up to smooth, glowing skin! I will buy this again, as soon as I run out of my existing stock. Hope it is still available then!

on 11/8/2014 9:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

For years I've been religious about using AHAs on a daily basis. My Asian skin is sensitive and prone to clogged pores and at 38 I'm actually starting to develop fine lines along with the occasional blemish. My local Walgreens stopped carrying my HG 10% Alpha Hydrox face lotion so I picked up this little gem for less than $10- it's only 8% aha but still pretty good. Since I've been using AHAs for years, I don't have any purging to worry about but I do notice I feel drier at the end of the day than I did with Alpha Hydrox (which is hard to find here unless I order online). As a licensed Aesthetician, ingredients matter way more to me than a brand name does, and this does the job of keeping my pores clear and the fine lines at bay pretty decently. The packaging would be much improved if it was in a flip top or pump bottle to keep the active ingredients stable, but for this price you can't expect much more. I'll buy this again, but *only* if my HGs are again out of stock.

If you have prone acne skinPLEASE dont even try this.... I heard some good reviews here and got it, and gave it a try for a month, why did i do that? Omg this cream is really bad, maybe if you have normal skin with NO problems it might work but if you get acne here and there please dont put this in your face! I take good care of my skin and had try so many things but never with this outcome this cream sucks.

on 11/6/2014 5:51:00 AM

believe the hype! this stuff is great and ive tried it all. its not just about having a aha product but a good one ive tried everything to keep the wrinkles at bay. i still use tretinoin and a good moisturizer and serum. i have dry sun damaged skin so i stay out of the sun and wear sunscreen along with the rest of my skin routine.

My jaw and lower cheek get smallish itchy, dry acne. After using this for maybe a week or so, the skin smooths out and the acne reduces. In good daylight, my cheeks look smooth and feel smooth. I stopped using this while trying another product (cetaphil moisturizing cream) and the problem came back. I returned to this cream and within a few weeks it got better.

I like container pots; you can get all the product you paid for. If you don't like putting your fingers in, perhaps try a Q-tip to then transfer to your fingers? Or cut the fingers off rubber/latex gloves and throw them away after use.

on 7/13/2014 11:36:00 PM

I love this product. I am 35 an have been having "teenager breakouts" with my period every month. I started using this after I clean my face with Apple cider Vinegar and I have had no acne and my pores actually look smaller. I can definitely see a difference in the appearance of my skin. Completely worth the money...unfortunately...it appears this item might have been discontinued. I am unable to locate at Walgreens anymore

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Ive been usi g this for a while now, the price is fantastic for the generous amount you get. Its also a pretty high percentage of alpha hydroxy acid. The packaging kind of sucks because its a jar that you need to stick your fingers I but honestly that doesnt bother me whatsoever.

I use this at night because I have sensitive skin and this does cause me to turn kinda pink. But I wash my face and then apply a small amount all over my face and neck; then I apply my moisturizer on top.

It does cause a small amount of tingling/burning, but nothing unbearable, not to mention I dont put this too close to my eyes. My skin feels very soft and plumped the next morning and I love that. Idk about wrinkle reduction as im 26 and only have fine lines on mh forehead and between my brows. But I'm hoping this helps to delay any other wrinkles. Its important to note this is not a moisturizer on its own and should be followed by one.

Yes I'd purchase over and over again!

on 10/25/2013 6:01:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This lotion caused a bunch of bumps under the surface of my skin that made a disaster of an extraction during a facial I had soon after starting this. The lower portion of my face was so bumpy, even if they hadn't formed breakouts yet, and I'd only used this for maybe a week or two. I haven't used it since and haven't had a problem with those bumps so I know it was this lotion.

I just checked out some lists of comedogenic ingredients and this lotion is full of them:

EDIT: I looked this product up on cosdna and wanted to provide their comedogenic/irritant ratings (0-5 scale) for this lotion's ingredients: isopropyl palminate, (acne 4, irritant 1); stearic acid (acne 2); cetyl alcohol (acne 5, irritant 2); dimethicone (acne 1); PEG 100 stearate (acne 1); sorbitan stearate (irritant 1).

I know it's probably difficult/impossible even to find makeup/skincare products without some ingredient that would appear as a 1 at least, but having multiple comedogenic ingredients with that high of ratings is unacceptable for me. There's gotta be better options out there for moisturizer.

People here seem to love it so I won't say stay away, but for the love of your skin, I'd recommend doing a patch test somewhere other than your face first. Good luck!