Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser Mask

Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser Mask
image 1image 2image 3

Active Ingredients: Benzoyl Peroxide (3.5%) (Acne Treatment) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Kaolin, Bentonite, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Titanium Dioxide, Trideceth 9, PEG 5 Ethylhexanoate, Menthol, Sodium Citrate, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Fragrance 5/29/09

I bought this 2 weeks ago and have used it twice a week in that time. My cheeks usually have some clogged pores, but they were looking especially bad and I wanted to find a mask to help with it. I picked this up after reading a lot of good reviews about it years ago. I haven't used it as a cleanser but as a mask I leavr it on for five minutes and my skin is not sensitive to it. The first time I used it and washed it off I wasn't sure if it did anything, but the next morning I was surprised to see that most of my clogged pores were gone! This is the most effective mask I have ever used to unclog pores I have ever tried! After these past two weeks and four applications, I have a few spots left, but my skin has never looked so good since my skin started getting more blemishes after I turned 19.

THIS USED TO BE PERFECT. I AM DYING. I have been using this for almost four years, it's the only wash that keeps my face so clear and smooth. I noticed I had been breaking out, which caught me by surprise, then I realized this cleanser felt and smelled different on my face; watery, runny and a total mess of a product. The older one had consistency and would actually absorb to my skin. I ended up calling Neutrogena directly to see what was going on, turns on they recently changed the ingredients, reformulated the product but didn't put in on the label. SO BEWARE!!! I have been going to different Targets and i've been able to find the old formulation. Just a hint, the old formulation has Fragrance as the last ingredient, the new one does not. So if you go and look for the old one, make sure it says fragrance as the very last ingredient and you're good.

To Read all 608 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/6/2016 9:59:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

My thoughts on this product are really sketchy. I used it as a mask and afterward my face felt really nice, but it was EXTREMELY red. Usually your face gets red anytime there is any weird activity, so I can see why my face is red. I have no clue if it cleared my pores, but right now I'm not too optimistic.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Okay as a mask but not great. It did help treat any inflamed blemishes but I did not really notice any prevention.
I did not like it as a cleanser as it did not really cleanse well at all.
I think it is better as a mask and even spot treatments.

I absolutely love this product. It is the only face wash that keeps my skin looking even, fresh, and smooth all at once. Whenever I tend to try other face washes just for comparison reasons, I tend to always go back to this one. I find that other face washes leave my skin feeling unclean and uneven. I hope this product never ever discontinues! I absolutely love this product with all of me and have been a faithful user of a few years now.

on 11/2/2015 1:03:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I put it on my face as a mask for only 2 minutes and my fave turned red on all the spot I put it on!!! gonna see how it looks tomorrow morning.

I have been using this face wash as a daily cleanser since high school, so at least 10 years. The few times I have strayed from it, I have always come back. I have combination skin and hormonal acne that stays under control with benzoyl peroxide. I think the kaolin ingredient particularly agrees with my skin (an ingredient I haven't found in any other drug store cleansers). It feels very cool applied to the skin, which is nice especially when I am hot and sweaty during the summer.

I have recently noted that if I use this as a mask (left on 5 minutes), I will be left with a bright red face wherever the mask was applied to my skin. The redness is gone by the next morning. This did not happen when I was in high school/college, when I used it as a mask about once a week. I think my skin is becoming more sensitive as I reach my late twenties, and it still works wonderfully for me as a daily cleanser, so I won't deduct any lippies for that.

I tend to buy this at Target rather than a drug store because it is very affordable there! There have been at least a couple discontinuation scares over the years, and the outcry on the Neutrogena website seems to make them bring it back each time. Still, when I find this has become scarce, I stock up.

on 6/25/2015 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I started using this about a little over a month ago because I *thought* I might need to add more acne-fighting ingredients all over my face. I had been using a 5% BP cream occasionally and a 10% one on some spots and they would help alittle after the fact but not really in prevention. I liked that this was a small amount but I could use it as a mask too if I wanted to focus on an area. Since it had pretty good reviews, and I was desparate after a particularly bad break out, I tried it.

I have pretty sensitive skin, as in things itch and irritate me easily and I break out to a lot of ingredients that are fine for most people. But this doesn't bother me at all, not the menthol, not the BP, not as a cleanser or as a mask. I have no redness with this. I also really like that the ingredient list is pretty simple.

But my skin always breaks out, either in little bumps or sore under-the-skin type cysts and I haven't found the magical cure to fix that yet. Most of the time they won't go away on their own, though messing with them isn't always the best idea.

Still. I have to say that after all this time of trying to see if it helps or not, I'd have to say it helps more than when I wasn't using it. I still get my random bumps and stuff, but overall my skin does look a little better. I try to be careful with my products and not add too many new things that could potentially cause problems so I think most of what I currently use is safe and the bumps are just me and will occur regardless. I do notice that overusing this with the addition of too many other drying products (extra BP, tea tree, Rx) results in more problems so I have to be careful, especially because of the dry hot climate. Moisturizer definitely helps (which I'm almost always afraid of it breaking me out) and helps get a more matte look, as some BP treatments cause a kind of tight shine. I feel like that's a big indicator of overdying. This does that sometimes, but not as badly or as permanenty as other ones I've seen. If I notice it, I just cut down on this and use it as a spot treatment instead.

I noticed some bleaching of my towels and I think it's from this. But overall this is fairly gentle and still helps. I do also use a foaming cleanser and a spin brush occasionally for extra cleaning, but this does take off makeup which surprized me. It's not "perfect" as I think nothing really is for my skin, but for now I think it works.

Update: I'm kind of back to shying away from stripping/drying products and while I liked how this felt as a cleanser I lately have been using it as a spot treatment more. I'm trying to avoid higher levels of BP because I'm too sensitive for a full blown acne regime but do use this occasionally as a mask on popped areas or as a cleanser sparingly. I also notice that when I'm back on a topical RX I can't use OTC drying/acne stuff as it's overkill, and when on any kind of ance product I have to moisturize (I know, I know). Still, this is a decent one, and I'm glad I have a back up for a here-and-there as opposed to daily.

on 5/13/2015 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Used as directed for less than 5 minutes, got a chemical burn. I even mixed it with freeman's chocolate strawberry mask to make it gentler and smell better, and it felt cool and refreshing, however that night my face hurt and next morning it was red and flaky and painful. Note: never try new skincare a week before your graduation ceremony

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm really glad that Neutrogena makes this unique product. It's kind of rare to find a benzoyl peroxide wash, which is what this is. It's really gentle, which is much appreciated because my skin is both acne-prone and sensitive. Plus, I'm in my 30s and my skin isn't as oily as it used to be, so a lot of acne products are too drying. This is clay based and has a plush, creamy texture. It feels soothing instead of irritating, the way salicylic or glycolic washes tend to feel. I rub it around on my damp face and then let it sit for at least a minute so that the active ingredient has time to work. You can also use it as a mask, which is nice -- sometimes I just spot-treat with it as a mask and wash off. Regular benzoyl peroxide spot treatments can be irritating, so I like that this gets washed off. I notice that it helps, although if your skin is really out of control it probably wouldn't be enough on its own. And, and, and -- it's such a deal. I think this sells for around $5. In a different package this product could pass for something you'd buy from a high-end line at Sephora. So great, love it.