Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.9

on 12/2/2017 10:49:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

The best foundation I’ve ever tried. It’s the one foundation I always go back to and leaves a very natural, non cakey finish. Luminous silk isn’t a full coverage foundation, I’d say it’s medium coverage but leaves a beautiful slightly dewy finish. Definitely will repurchase

on 11/21/2017 10:36:00 AM

Holy. Grail. If you like a light-medium coverage, radiant foundation, and don't mind shelling out some cash, this is for you. Yes, it's crazy expensive so I can understand if you don't want to shell out for this. Def not for my full coverage queens, and not for anyone looking for matte coverage, but there is a reason this stuff is cult status. It basically just makes my skin look like a better version of itself. I am slightly oily in the t-zone and I just make sure to use a mattifying primer in those oily spots. I am constantly trying new foundations in search of the perfect ones, but this is the only one that has found a permanent place in my collection. I keep 3 different colors at all times and mix depending on the time of year. Just be careful of pairing this with a heavier concealer because I find it breaks easily and leaves a line of demarcation where it's blended. If you're looking for a budget dupe, I love the L'oreal True Match Lumi (which I use on clients to mimic this, without having to buy $60 foundation in numerous colors).

This is one of the best foundations I have ever used! It has a medium coverage, that can be either thinned out for those days when you need coverage here and there; it is also buildable without looking cakey. What I have noticed is that this is a foundation that doesn’t amaze you as soon as you apply it. Give it 10 to 15 minutes and it will really stick to your skin with a beautiful semi matte, vaguely dewy finish. I do recommend a smoothing primer for those days when your skin is more problematic though. I had 4.5 shade, which was unfortunately a tad too dark for me.

on 10/29/2017 12:48:00 PM

I feel compelled to update my original review about this product and the sensitivities it caused, because after reading the latest reviews on top of mine, some users have reported itchiness.

Overall i'd like to thank this product and Giorgio Armani. Although it gave me a nightmarish allergic reaction - redness, burning & a patch of about 50 closely clustered whiteheads on both cheeks - it helped me to better understand my skin, identity my allergies and educate myself more about ingredients in cosmetic and skincare products.

Basically i got tired of breaking out from new products so I started a spreadsheet listing what i've used and their common ingredients (https://imgur.com/a/Atzql). Two common triggers across troublemaker products were LIMONENE and LINALOOL. Both of them are essential oils - lemon/orange and lavender in that order, and while essential oils are natural, what is not commonly known is that they are also skin allergy triggers. They have no skincare benefits and are added purely for fragrance purposes.

LIMONENE
SEE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_oil

"The limonene which is the main component of the oil is a mild irritant, as it dissolves protective skin oils. Limonene and its oxidation products are skin irritants, and limonene-1,2-oxide (formed by aerial oxidation) is a known skin sensitizer. Most reported cases of irritation have involved long-term industrial exposure to the pure compound, e.g. during degreasing or the preparation of paints. However a study of patients presenting dermatitis showed that 3% were sensitized to limonene. Limonene has been observed to cause cancer in male rats, by reacting with α2u-globulin, which is not produced by female rats. There is no evidence for carcinogenicity or genotoxicity in humans. The IARC classifies d-limonene under Class 3: not classifiable as to its carcinogenicity to humans.[9] Limonene is also flammable.[10]"

P.S Limonene can also pop a balloon in one second

LINALOOL

"Linalool can be absorbed by inhalation of its aerosol and by oral intake or skin absorption, potentially causing irritation, pain and allergic reactions. Linalool is used as a scent in 60–80% of perfumed hygiene products and cleaning agents including soaps, detergents, shampoos, and lotions.[4] It is also used as a chemical intermediate. One common downstream product of linalool is vitamin E. In addition, linalool is used by pest professionals as a flea, fruit fly and cockroach insecticide."

_______________________

I'm no longer angered nor surprised that an established company like Giorgio Armani is adding these cheap and irritating ingredients in their luxury-priced products, because a lot of companies do as well in this day and age. As consumers who want to protect our skin and give it only the best, we just have to be more discerning, educated and responsible for what we put on it.

That said, not everyone is sensitive to Limonene and Linalool so i hope this review can help those with sensitive skin - please do get a sample or patch test before going full-face.

In closing, if i hadn't experienced an allergic reaction, i don't think much of this foundation in terms of wear-time nor coverage. It wasn't terrible, just average performing and the best thing about it was just about the aesthically pleasing packaging.

I had been meaning to try this foundation for a while. After putting it on my skin, even as I was applying it, I immediately could tell a difference in the way my skin looked. Like many others have noted, it gives you a "second skin" appearance...almost like my skin had been air brushed. It was very flawless looking. I like that the packaging comes with a pump and the bottle itself is nice. Yes it's pricey but it is worth it. Luckily I did not experience any breaks outs, rashes or any issues that others had noted. This was totally worth the hype for me.

on 10/19/2017 1:50:00 PM

Oh I'm going to add to what so many have already said. I too had such high hopes for this Foundation. The foundation does what it says which is that it Glides on smoothly, buildable coverage with a luminous glow. My complexion with this makeup looked absolutely stunning. I was just so amazed, even in the Sun! But that is where my love affair ended. Like others, I had a reaction. My face started itching at the end of the day to the point where I ran home to take the makeup off. With everyone else's reviews on breakouts and reactions to this Foundation, there was no way I was going to try it for another day as my skin just cleared up from a bad hormonal Breakout.

on 10/17/2017 2:13:00 PM

I had such high hopes for this foundation after reading/watching hundreds of reviews but... this was one of my biggest disappointments in makeup purchases in general. Leaving aside the fact that it's so pricey, I could never imagine my skin reacting to any makeup product the way it did with this foundation. Although I have fairly normal/combination skin, which is not sensitive to any makeup and doesn't break out, this foundation caused so much problems for my skin:( although it promises luminous skin look and supposedly works great on most skin types, it looked so dry in places, clinging to my skin, mostly forehead, looking patchy and uneven. I'm neutral undertone and I found 4.5 shade to be too yellow, in general hard to get the right shade for fair neutral skin tone. I would be happy with the coverage it gives as I never look for full coverage in foundation, however there's something in its formula that's absolutely not working on my skin. I started feeling really itchy almost immediately after applying it and by the end of the day, my face was covered in rash, which I never ever had from any other makeup product. I decided to give it another go after my skin completely cleared out, prepping as normally would with any other foundation and unfortunately got the same reaction. Oh well, going back to my holy grail Shiseido Synchro Skin Lasting Foundation.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

After putting off buying this, I finally did. It has cost me an arm and a leg but it is worth it. I love the finish that it gives me like a 2nd skin type. To my surprise this actually last pretty well on me considering I am combo skin. This is not heavy or cakey. That being said, I need to set this with powder not just in my T-zone but my whole face. I don't find that powdering it takes away the beautiful dew/glow that it gives me skin. This is one of those rare foundation that is best with a brush. It just gives more coverage for me. Way more coverage than a sponge per say. I dab/pat this on and not drag it for more coverage. Then I lightly go over with sponge just to even it out and get rid of streaky marks but nothing that bothers me.

My biggest issue with this foundation is the scent. It makes my face itchy by the afternoon but oddly enough it doesn't break me out. This is actually starting to be one of my go to. This is actually best set with a light dusting of pressed powder than a loose powder. I'm not really sure why but the finish is more airbrush and Luminous with a pressed powder.

The shade system is confusing to me. My shade is too dark which is 5.5 totally my fault should have bought 4.5 instead but summer is approaching so hopefully it will match. If not, I will happily buy a shade lighter. At the moment it's not bad, I just mix in 1 pump of my IT Cosmetics CC+ to lighten it and it plays really well together. This doesn't oxidise on me. To me this foundation is worth the hype. Not HG status (yet) and I will probably need to try it with other primer and powder. Currently plays nicely with KVD Blotting Powder and Charlotte Tilbury Pressed Powder. Not well with Laura Mercier (gets too heavy and cakey) or RCMA No colour powder because it's just get too dry and it takes away the nice glowy finish. Try to get a sample if you can. It's worth repurchasing for me. Actually a good surprise for me. I have been trying out a couple of hyped up and high end foundation lately and it's all a massive fail so this actually works for a change.

on 9/25/2017 2:54:00 PM

I'm using this foundation for a few days now and I really like it. It does get oily on my t-zone very quickly but on the normal parts of my face, the foundation does what it says. It has a gorgeous finish, really skin-like. I have to use my LM translucent powder underneath and on top of the product on my nose and forehead to control the shine for a few hours. Afterwards, I have to blot every now and then, but there is no foundation out there that could possibly control my oil-happy nose, so I'm fine with that. It also didn't break me out, which tends to happen a lot lately. Don't know how or why.

The colour I bought (3) is a tad bit too light for my NC15 skin, especially if I set it with the LM translucent powder, which always leaves a slightly white-ish colour to my face. But one shade darker (3.5 I think) was way too warm for me, so I had to settle for this one. Also, winter is coming, so it's better to have a lighter colour this time of year. I found that the MAC mineralize loose powder (in the shade extra light) works really well with this foundation, especially to darken the foundation a tiny bit. I apply it with a flat kabuki brush and then put some product on a beauty blender and blend it all out. I use the beauty blender to set the powder on my oily zones and a brush to lightly set the foundation on my cheeks (which are normal so don't need much setting).

It's a lovely product with a reasonable colour range (which most drugstore foundations don't have, so I don't understand some reviews here claiming that there are drugstore foundations better than this one). Only downside I would say is the price. 54 Euros is a lot of money for a foundation, but if I continue to like it I will definitely repurchase.

on 8/23/2017 7:41:00 AM

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk no. 4 --> bought this a while ago at Singapore actually the sales person told me that I should take no.3 but I think that no.4 would matches my face really well . I really love the finish , skin- like ‘I swear I’m not wearing any foundation ‘ texture. And it lasts all darn day ( But if I use it in humid country like Indonesia in few hours it looks greasy but still looks nice on my face ). One main point is this foundation didn't look greyish and oily the way Missha BB cream do. ( But, Hey don't get me wrong I still love my Missha Signature Real Complete BB cream very much because it did not cause my face to breakout but if I didn't clean it throughly it will cause a few pimples on my face eventho I rarely got any pimple )