Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.9

AQUA / WATER, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, GLYCERIN, ISODODECANE, ALCOHOL, POLYGLYCERYL-4 ISOSTEARATE, ALUMINUM STARCH OCTENYLSUCCINATE, CETYL PEG/PPG-10/1 DIMETHICONE, HEXYL LAURATE, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, PHENOXYETHANOL, ACETYLATED GLYCOL, STEARATE, MAGNESIUM SULFATE, ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE, TRISTEARIN, CELLULOSE GUM, NYLON-1,2 LIMONENE, BENZYL SALICYLATE, LINALOOL, DIPHENYL DIMETHICONE ACRYLATES COPOLYMER, PARFUM / FRAGRANCE, DISODIUM STEAROYL GLUTAMATE, METHYLPARABEN, BUTYLPARABEN, BUTYLPHENYL METHYLPROPIONAL, ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE, HEXYL CINNAMAL [ /- MAY CONTAIN CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77491 / IRON OXIDES CI 77007 / ULTRAMARINES MICA

The luminous silk foundation is my new holy grail, even though it quite pricey. The bottle feels nice and heavy, which rhymes with very good quality in my eyes. The consistency is creamy, and even though it is very lightweight, it covers all of my imperfection. It is definitely worth the price.

on 1/17/2017 4:51:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

My HG foundation. I have normal/dry skin, and this compliments my skintype and tone so well. I'm NC20 (but a bit more olive-toned than super yellow), and I use 4.0 in LS, which is a really good match.
The finish is not dewy as the name might lead you to believe, but its more of a satin-y finish which I prefer for most days. If I want a more dewy and glowy finish I mix it with MAC strobe cream and have no issues with it.
It last for about 9-10 hours on my skin, and it photographs beautifully! So this is a good foundation for a long evening event where you need to look flawless.
The coverage is medium, an can be build up to almost full coverage. I wouldn't recommend doing that though, it just doesn't look as good as it can.
I use a beauty blender with great results or a flat top kabuki brush for at bit more coverage. I don't think it applies well with fingers, but I guess thats a personal preference.

My HG foundation! I only recently started splurging on high-end foundations, as I was never sure they were worth it (and I now get 30% off at sephora a few days each month and can afford them). This shade suits me perfectly and the foundation itself is HEAVENLY. I still use about three pumps (I've read in reviews that it's normal to use less), but the coverage is perfect for me and it really is silky. It's not super matte, IMO it's more dewy and on the sheer-to-mid coverage side. I don't have very sensitive skin and don't break out from makeup, so I can't say anything on that. The coverage is not heavy enough that I don't still need to coverup my under-eye circles or a red spot here or there (but I've never had a foundation that was so heavy I didn't need concealer!).

My shade is 4.75, I'm quite fair and neutral and it's a perfect fit!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Before, I've always gravitated towards fuller coverage foundations. However, recently, something clicked in me and now I've been craving sheer finishes in all my makeup products. Maybe it's the obnoxious minimalist Glossier/Milk aesthetic unexpectedly rubbing off on me. (I still think they're gimmicky, all-style-no-substance brands, though.) Nevertheless, the search for my HG light coverage foundation ends here.

Luminous Silk is sheer yet highly pigmented, if that makes sense. It imparts its color on the face yet at the same time doesn't fully cover dark spots, acne scars, facial redness, etc. I really dig that aspect, though: seeing your skin's natural imperfections just faintly showing underneath the layer of foundation gives a very healthy-looking glow overall. And besides, for the really bad areas, you can always add concealer. The finish is exactly as advertised: radiant and silky. It applies like a silky smooth dream, not clinging to any dry patches (assuming you've properly exfoliated and moisturized) and never accentuating fine lines. I have rather prominent smile lines, which I've had countless foundations sink straight into, and thankfully, this one doesn't have that issue. This foundation lasts all day, and despite the luminous finish, I didn't experience it getting unbearably oily throughout the day. Granted, I have dry skin, but I bet this would still fare wonderfully on even oily-skinned people, with powder.

As amazing as this foundation is, there is still the elephant in the room: the exorbitant price. $64 for 1 oz. is way up there. Personally, I do believe that foundation is one of the few makeup items that you should splurge on if you find the perfect one, because from my experience, price does correlate with quality here. And the difference between an okay foundation and a great one is like night and day.

on 1/9/2017 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Neutral

PROS:
-Does not contain ingredients that personally break me out (I'm very sensitive to butylene glycol and pentylene glycol and these two ingredients are commonly used in liquid makeup)
-An amazing "mixer" into other foundations. If you have finicky foundations, especially super matte ones or ones that cling to dry patches, try mixing it with Armani LS! I don't wear this foundation on long 15+ hour days (haven't found a setting spray that works for me yet but Ben Nye Final Seal worked the best for me so far) but I LOVE to mix this foundation with others. I've tried mixing it with Guerlain Lingerie de Peau (my favorite combination so far), EL Double Wear, and Lancome Teint Idole. In general, everyone should try, at least once, mixing dewy foundations with satin/matte foundations - just make sure you are not mixing silicone-based foundations with water-based foundations.
-No SPF so it's great for flash photography provided that you use a setting powder without silica or titanium oxide
-I have dry/normal skin with a nose that tends to get really oily. My favorite primer for this foundation has been the Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer. Hourglass Mineral Veil + Armani LS = a beautiful satin, flawless finish. However, I do not have huge pores so I can't vouch for the Hourglass Mineral Veil and Armani LS combination to be pore blurring or pore filling. If you have really dry skin, I recommend the Hourglass n28 Serum Primer! It was super hydrating and a provided a great base for Armani LS, especially if you have dry patches.
-I am NC42 and have been matched, not that perfectly, to CoverFX foundation in G60 (closest match), EL Double Wear in Spiced Sand, Lancome Teint Idole in 420 Bisque N (a bit ashy looking), and Hourglass Veil Fluid foundation in Beige (bit too light for me) and wear the Armani foundation in 6.25.
-Comes with a pump. I typically use 2 pumps for my face.
-Very buildable. I found that building it in light layers made the foundation last longer.
-It's a liquidy foundation. But I personally don't like creamy/mousey feeling foundations.
-Applies beautifully with a beauty blender. I receive so many compliments after switching to a beauty blender.
-Lasts 6 hours without primer and powder. Lasts 8+ hours with Hourglass Mineral Veil and setting powder. I haven't found a HG setting powder yet but I have used Chanel Poudre Universelle Libre in Dore which was perfect for when I was super oily, and needed a wee bit more coverage (the powder is tinted), during the summertime but now it's winter and I find it too drying. I may check out the By Terry Hyaluronic Powder or the Urban Decay setting powder next.

CONS:
-Not as long lasting compared to other foundations such as Estee Lauder Double Wear or Lancome Teint Idole (However, doing the Goss method of loose powder after moisturizer/primer but before foundation helped increased the longevity)
-I found that UD All Nighter oxidized Armani LS really quickly (within an hour, I was orange!)
-The price but I don't mind it - this is one of the few foundations that does not break me out
-Shade range is a bit awkwardly numbered and makes it difficult to figure out your shade if you're checking it out at Sephora. There isn't a pattern to the numbers. I advise to go on Armani's website and look at their shade descriptions!

My HG foundation. I heard about it from my dad's gf, and once my dry winter skin started making all of my other foundations look patchy and sad, I decided to try it out. It gives the most amazing skinlike finish, and doesn't cling to any dry patches on my face. I have since switched up my skincare routine so the other foundations work again, but this one is still my favorite! A little goes a long way, I just apply about a pump or 2 (I have a big face), blend it with a damp beauty blender, and I look absolutely flawless. If you can find your shade match (I'm #2), it's totally worth the price. However, the foundation line does seem to be lacking in darker skintones (and they all seem to have red undertones), so that is an issue.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Amazing foundation that actually applies and looks like it's name suggests. It applies seamlessly and silky, while imparting a luminous, natural glow. No shimmer. I've received numerous compliments on my skin overnight. I actually purchased this on a whim and I'm glad I did. It's one of those life's little moments :). This is my new holy grail.

buildable coverage, non-cakey look, feels light on the skin, non-oily/greasy. Essentially, everything anyone could ever want in a foundation.

on 12/25/2016 11:31:00 AM

If I could I would rate this 3.5 stars.

I really wanted to love this, I really like it, but the coverage isn't strong enough for me. Moderate coverage is a generous description, I got somewhere between moderate to light. I like that the foundation is easy to apply, you don't need a lot, and of course that finish is to die for.

However I have rolling scars and it does not help cover them at all. It's a pity, maybe if I had a super heavy concealer I could pull this foundation off, but I don't have one on hand, I have maybelline master conceal right now which is pretty good and works pretty well with other products.

What a shame. I really wanted to to get on board with this product but it just doesn't help my scars any.

on 12/22/2016 7:59:00 PM

Absolutely adore this foundation. It's quite expensive however it is so worth it. I have dry skin and I don't think it clings to it at all. Each time I run out I buy more and although I use it everyday, since a little goes a long way it lasts for so long! The coverage is buildable and it doesn't feel thick or suffocating on your face. Honestly my holy grail of foundations!

on 12/22/2016 12:17:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

"I see!" said the blind man. God in every magazine, in every YouTube review, in all my life I have heard of this very foundation. I finally purchased it this summer. I tested it about 3 times for very important events and dear Lord have mercy on me! I was blind now I can see. It is exquisite! The way this lays on my buttery brown complexion? Nothing short of amazing. And this photographs so beautifully! I have several car selfies to commemorate the times I wore this. Medium coverage, does set to a luminous finish, makes you look like money! Does not exacerbate oil production either. This is a very well-executed product. I will certainly purchase again.