Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Filtered by skin type : Very Dry
Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.8

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This has been my go-to foundation for years now, although admittedly that's probably a lot out of habit and the fact that it continues to receive so much media hype. Overall I'd say it's a good product, but there's definitely room for improvement, especially considering the price.

PROS:
- The best thing about this foundation is that it starts off as sheer coverage but is incredibly buildable. Keeping most of my skin under sheer coverage, where my natural coloring, freckles etc can still peek through, and only adding extra coverage where I need it, gives the illusion of having naturally great skin. I prefer a very natural 'no makeup' makeup look, so this is ideal for me. This is definitely not a foundation for those who want medium or heavy coverage over most of the face, or for creating a glamorous airbrushed instagram-style look. Use a brush or beauty blender to 'push' (not swipe) more product into the skin where you need more coverage.

- It's a dewy finish, which is great for dry skin.

- I find that it lasts a long time. I repurchase about every 6 months or so.

CONS:
- The worst thing about this foundation is the shade range. When I don't apply self-tanner even the lightest shade (2) is too dark and too yellow. In fact, I find that most of the shades run warm, even those that are supposedly neutral. Moreover, the entire system is confusing: rather than just having neutral, cool and warm shades, there are "neutral", "peachy", "rosy", "warm" "golden" and "red" ones, and for this reason you can't assume that a higher number is necessarily a darker shade than a smaller number, which is ridiculous. For example, 3.75 is actually lighter than 3.5. I would recommend anyone buying this product for the first time to take a look at the Nordstrom website because they do a pretty good run-down of the shades (http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/giorgio-armani-luminous-silk-foundation/2853110), so you have an idea of what ones you need to swatch on yourself before you get to the counter.

- I don't personally like the smell.

- The packaging is nothing special.

- No SPF.

on 4/15/2016 2:38:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Best. Foundation. Ever. At least for my skin. Once you go Armani you never go back. I prefer light to medium coverage and anything that enhances luminosity and boy did this deliver. When you find your shade it literally melts into your skin and is undetectable. I'm a cool toned pale girl and I use 3.75 and it was my exact skin tone which is hard for me to find. A+++++!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Bought this yesterday from selfriges in Birmingham and having used it two times already I can say I'm in love!! I have dry skin and with other foundations it would cling to it but with this foundation it covers and doesn't cling to my dry bits!
It gives a glow once it is on I set it with macs setting spray it's good at covering my spots and I'm very pleased!! Deffo worth the money

on 4/30/2015 8:45:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Bought shade #4 after being matched to it based on wearing Make-Up Forever HD foundation shade 117 (Marble). After a year of telling myself it is too expensive, I bit the bullet and bought it during Sephora's VIB sale. (still too expensive, but I digress)

A quick swatch on the hand looked to be very similar.

I applied this to my face and loved the consistency! I gave a dewy (but not overly!) look with light to medium coverage. A little seemed to go a long way. Everything was great until...

It oxidized! After about 20 mins it looked pinky orange on my skin. It was so bad of a match that I had to wash it off - I was too embarrassed to leave the house with my face that different to my neck and chest.

:( the search for a dewy foundation continues!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I love the texture and finish of this foundation, but I was a little upset to find it ran darker than my Maestro foundation in the same shade #2. I might purchase some white foundations and the new Radiant pigment sheer to see how I can make it work, but for now the lightest shade is a bit too dark.

on 10/7/2013 5:29:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This is a strange foundation in my opinion. The first time I put it on it was cakey, and clung to my dry patches and pores. And when I say clung to my pores, I mean "little dots where my pores are"clinging. Not cute. I applied with a buffing brush.
The next time I tried it, I put on a sunscreen in addition to my regular moisturizer. FLAWLESS. Perfect skin. No clinging. I applied with fingers.
The third time I applied it with fingers again, but without the addition of sunscreen. Clinging to pores and dry spots again.

While I get why people adore this foundation, it's too high maintenance for me. I shouldn't have to glob a ton of moisturizer to make it work. Plus it's 60 bucks.

I am going to try it one last time, but I really don't think it's worth it.

on 11/30/2011 11:53:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

Since I can not say "maybe" on buying this again I had to say "yes". The price is, if nothing else stressful and almost heart attack inducing, LOL.
I bought the Face Fabric (#4) from GA and was very happy with the way that worked during the summer months, but as it gets colder and I get older I notice that I need more, just a touch more coverage.......oh boy.
I called the GA customer service. The young lady who worked with me was very kind and knowledgeable. I asked my question of "If I wear a #4 in FF, does that mean I have to wear a #7 in LSF"? I got my answer, that would be a "yes" in order to make it look natural, in my case anyway.
I was terrified, really shaking when I got the box from GA. I took out the #7 shade and the trial sizes I was sent in 5.5. I was going to a party the next day and was in a pure panic about the color and blending around my chin (had a hard time breathing over price and color at that point). I opened the #7 and thought, "what the heck, I can wash my face and start over, go for it". I had never tried the jacquard face palette yet either, so I was in full "freak out mode" by then.
I took a LITTLE bit and put it on the back of my hand and I put the #7 0n. It was beautiful. It blended in, it took away some of the red on my face, it made my skin look oh so nice. I use my fingers to blend, around my chin and towards my hairline and my ears. I was amazed and thrilled that the #7 heart attack inducing price numbing shade worked on me in a way that made my skin, MY 51 YEAR OLD SKIN look luminous, dewey, and natural with just the foundation and no powder added, OMG!!
I dislike powder anyway, always makes me see wrinkles that I didn't notice before and I don't like that. I just spritz on some grape water and it sets me just fine for hours and hours, I don't need to be any drier than I already am.
I was at a party, setting up and decorating, praying that my makeup would stay and I was amazed that it did without any touch ups. I was complimented on my skin when one of my friends asked me what I had been using on my face as a moisturizer, whatever it was it was working and looking beautiful, THANKS! I'm married and any married woman knows that to get hit on by a male who is younger and NOT drunk nor drug induced is a real thrill (even if we're still madly in love with our guys). I am not the most beautiful woman in the world, but I hold my own, I got hit on by a young man who was in his 30's thinking I was in my early 40's.........sweeeet.
It just happened on the night I wore this foundation (in moderation) and the new jacquard face palette (lightly) by GA. I am now a true believer in this foundation. It worked for me when all others have failed and it helped make me feel my skin was as beautiful that day and night as it had been when I was in my early 40's.
It was not cakey or slimey. It filled in and detracted from places on my face that needed to be dealt with. It was done without conceler, WOOOOHOOOO for me! If I needed to add a dab to cover a red spot or under my eyes this foundation did so without looking like there was anything added and all spots were gone!
The price holds me back. I can not justify the price at all, no matter how much I know it to be the "real deal". My husband was even impressed and he hates make up on my face, no matter who makes it. I'm going to have to find something that will do this to my face without the price tag that goes along with it. I love this, if you can afford it, by all means buy it and enjoy it. Me?? I'm gonna enjoy what I have and see if I can buy this ever again..............ain't that the way it always goes?

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This had to be purchased after a SA applied it to my face and then I had to run to my hair sppointment, and when I walked in, the guy at the desk was like "OH MY GOD your FACE looks AMAZING!! Your SKIN is PERFECT"!!! I was like, "really"?! I thought it looked great, too, and then when my stylist took me back, she said basiclly the same thing- "Your skin looks amazing"!! So 2 different ppl who see me every month were amazed at how GREAT my skin looked. That did it for me. I was probably going to buy it anyway, but it made me feel way better about my purchase. It just looks like you have amazing, flawless, LUMINATING skin! It gives that beautiful dewy look and feel, but it is not oily! No oxidizing (like Chanel-ahem). I was a perfect match in shade #4. My skin isn't too bad on it's own, so I don't tend to need foundation to cover up flaws, but more for evening out reddish skin tone... I don't like heavy-feeling foundations, but the consistency was just right, it covered like perfection, and did not feel heavy or mask-ey.

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

gross. i hated it. it didnt settle right at all, and makeup is what i do. if i as a working artist threw this crap in the trash cuz i couldnt blend it, how can you expect the adverage woman to spend that kinda money and work this as an everyday makeup. another product over hyped.

on 8/28/2011 7:44:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I've tried this on three times in the store but never caved in and bought it thankfully. The first time left me decidedly unimpressed. I gave Luminous Silk Foundation another try on 2 seperate occasions, thinking I must have been mistaken due to all the rave reviews but nope, still unimpressed.

My main problem is this is sooo sheer, more like a tinted moisturiser than a foundation really, even though the MUA described it as medium/high coverage. I have good-ish skin; I only rarely break out and have no lines, scars or large pores just some minor uneven pigmentation and the odd patch of mild eczema. My flaws were still *clearly* visible through this foundation and as if that wasn't enough LSF highlighted some flakey patches that I didn't even realize I had and made them look terrible. When I remarked on these problems, the MUA quickly informed me that LSF is buildable (and tried to push the Giorgio Armani skincare line at me LOL). However I found LSF too thin and watery to work with for layering and besides I had no desire to highlight my dry patches further.

Second point is the texture. You might think that something named "luminous" and "silk" would feel rich, luxurious and well, silky. If you thought that, you'd be wrong. Instead LSF feels simultaneously watery yet super drying in a way you wouldn't have thought possible.

Also I find Giorgio doesn't do too many shades for neutral or cool-toned skin. I look at their counter and see a sea of yellow and more yellow which seems to be getting increasingly common. And the one fair, cool shade they did have had too much white in it for me.

If you have well hydrated, yellow toned skin, hate thicker foundation and are after something barely-there you might want to look into this. However if you're after a richer, more flawless looking finish or a foundation with some "oomph" then skip this one.