3.6

package quality

price range

Reviews

a month ago

I was really excited to try this foundation. 16 hour wear and a beautiful finish? Yes, please. Sadly, by hour 7 it had started to separate and slide around. I am only moderately oily, I had blotted at hour 4, and this is the middle of our dry season. Disappointing performance. I can't even recommend it for shorter days/events in large part because of the price point. If you feel like you must try it I highly recommend a sample. Three stars for the glorious finish, I am so sad it didn't work out for me.

About reviewer (3 reviews)

SkinOily, Fair, Cool

HairBlond, Wavy, Coarse

EyesBlue

2 months ago

This foundation has a lovely finish! It looks natural but also somehow "finished" I guess because it covers nicely. I am very picky about foundations and this is a winner. It goes on very smoothly but dries darker on application so it's worth getting a sample (Sephora has it). My main concern with foundations is that the color is perfect for me and the finish doesn't look too matte or too shiny. This is really, really pretty. Expensive, but it's always more important to spend a lot on foundation than on some other items which are just as good in the drugstore like mascara. Definitely check it out!

About reviewer (44 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinDry, Fair, Warm

HairBrunette, Wavy, Medium

7 months ago

I love Guerlain make-up, and the same goes for this foundation. It gives a beautiful, natural and healthy radiance. I have sensitive skin, slightly on the drier side, and it is just perfect. I read people with oily skin not being happy ... guerlain is not to be blamed, the sales people are. Do not let yourself talk into sales pitches: it is clearly stated that this foundation has a moisturizing effect (most Guerlain products do) so indeed not recommended for oily skin types.

About reviewer (314 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

8 months ago

I have been intrigued by this foundation, unfortunately, this is not yet released in the U.S., however, I ordered it from Selfridge's and could not be more pleased (love the bottle design which is unique.) I am a NW10 (winter even paler) and I ordered the lightest shade 00C .... I liked that it worked well with my coloring and did not oxidize .... I have used this foundation with and without a primer and found that it works well either way. I used one pump and found that it gave me up to medium coverage .... I did not find this foundation glowy but yet it gave me a lovely skin-like coverage .... I appreciated the fact that this did not cling to pores, fine lines or looked cakey .... it truly looked so natural. I have other foundations that I enjoy, but L'Essentiel has shortly become my favorite in that it meets all my needs (color that is light enough for my pale skin, non-drying as well as does not cling to pores and fine lines ..... yes, it is expensive, but its worth it to me.)

About reviewer (445 reviews)

SkinOther, Other, Not Sure

HairOther, Other, Other

EyesOther

9 months ago

Loved everything about this! I have normal to combination skin and a neutral-cool undertone. Unfortunately the brand only sent a few range of shades to my region but 00N looks natural (I'm a NC15 or something close to it in MAC). It doesn't get cakey throughout the day - note that I sweat a lot on the face. This shade oxidized a bit after application. It did not mark my pores nor fine lines, but I'm on my mid 20's so It's not such a worry yet. I've used it after my usual serum packed with hyalluronic acid and Biore Bright Face and set it with a national-brand banana powder, which kept this foundation beautifully on place even throughout hotter days. The foundation did not interact with my usual products and the application was smooth. I felt it really allowed my skin to breathe. To me, it was a lovely choice. The price is unflattering, though - this is the most expensive foundation I have ever bought. I would rebuy it since it has such a good coverage - medium I would say, I do have spots and this product with a bit of concealer covers them just fine - and lasts a lot.

About reviewer (2 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Fair, Neutral

HairBrunette, Straight, Fine

EyesBrown

1.0

9 months ago

This is the most expensive foundation that I have ever bought and therefore, I was expecting some kind of a value for that amount of money. Ok, for a start, my skin is very very oily. The lady in the store was very very convincing since I tend to get a bit of sceptic on every product that says HYDRATION. However, she guaranteed that it's perfect for the oily skin. Let me just say that I know that every skin type is different and of course it's not going to fit everyone the same and maybe it does fit perfectly to another person with an oily skin but for me it's a BIG NO. It's very nice for the few let's say 15 minutes. After that, the area around my nose dissappeares. It gets sooo oily, I can't even compare to any other foundation because even the cheapest one when I was a teenager was better than this one. After another 15 minutes it seems like my every pore is filled with it and I look like I'm full of very very visible blackheads. If I (god forbid) put my hand on my skin, my whole face just wipes off. Good thing is a really fancy package, but the texture is kinda thick and it doesn't smell that nice. Let me just repeat that I am aware that not all skin types will react the same and I know that the lady and the store was just trying to get the provision from the sold thing and also I am aware that buying the product is strictly my mistake but at least lower the price a bit because it's really not worth it. You didn't do a good job on this one.

About reviewer (1 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinOily, Fair-Medium

HairBrown

EyesGreen

9 months ago

This is one of the most expensive foundations that I bought, so I very much wanted it to be the HG. It looks so glamorous: an elegant glass bottle with a fancy stopper. Oops, it’s quite unstable! It almost fell on the floor when I put it back on the shelf. The coverage is medium plus, I’d say. I didn’t notice any of the promised „glow” though, the finish is just flat. And the worst thing about it: the colour. I am very pale, so I went for the lightest 00N of course. At the beginning it matched me well, but it was somehow yellowish. I believe the 00W must be a regular yellow! After a few hours an orange mess begun. It oxidizes like crazy! Sorry, Guerlain. I liked your previous foundations better.

About reviewer (16 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Warm

HairBlond, Straight, Fine

2.0

10 months ago

This product may have worked, but the scent is totally overpowering. I'm not sensitive to scents and don't mind the YSL or Lancome subtle ones that tend to fade. This one, though, is so overpowering, outdated and cloying, I just can't work with it. My throat was irritated the whole time I was wearing it. The strange thing is that the scent is marketed as a main selling feature. Who does that nowadays? Otherwise, it's a fairly light coverage foundation with a satin finish that lasts fairly well. It could be a decent foundation if you don't mind the strong scent! Definitely test before you buy in this case.

About reviewer (240 reviews)

SkinOther, Fair

HairBrown

2.0

10 months ago

Darn you Guerlain for putting perfume in every single product. L'essentiel is one of the most beautiful foundations I've ever encountered: it slides on, it stays on and my skin looked soft, clear and with a tat of dewy-ness that I like. Love on first sight. And then, after 3 days of wearing it: spots! Itchiness like a mo! Little bumps! O my word NO!. O my word yes. :-(. The perfume. Please please please take it out Guerlain, or make two versions (one scented, one not), do something, you're missing customers (with good money, for these products do not come cheap). That said: if your skin can handle a fair amount of perfume, go and try and maybe love L'essentiel.

About reviewer (14 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Cool

HairBrown, Straight, Medium

EyesBrown

a year ago

This isn't my first Guerlain foundation, I like it, but it isn't a love..I prefer foundations without silicones, but in truth as long as it goes on fluid and smooth, I don't care...This foundation is interesting , it goes on kind of nice but you have to work it...in the end, I don't feel my skin is a lot better with it on !? The choice of Colors is real good...i feel it is almost for all skin types, maybe more for normal..i have it, I use it, but it isn't my first choice if it makes sense..it has a nice smell, the bottle is ok for me...it doesn't waow me, and the natural thing doesn't change much in my opinion..maybe I find the concept too gimmicky, I don't care that my beauty products carry politically correct messages..it is a nice one, nothing more for me.

About reviewer (288 reviews)

Age56 & Over