Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Liquid Makeup

Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Liquid Makeup

on 1/19/2019 11:28:00 PM

This product does exactly what it is advertised to do, it wears beautifully all day long, provides full coverage, and keeps your skin looking matte. I’ve used it for 6 months and loved the texture and how it made my overall skin look. HOWEVER, I have sensitive acne prone skin, I found that none of my cleansers (Philosophy, Clinique, Dermalogica) would completely remove it even with double washing. You pretty much have to scrub it off and my sensitive skin cannot exfoliate that much. This led to more breakouts over time with blackheads, little bumps everywhere, and some cystic acne. On a whim I switched to a drug store makeup made for sensitive skin and I cleared up completely. This product is great as far as durability goes, and looks stunning on even for oily skin people, but it’s long lasting properties were just too strong for what my skin needs.

Good buildable coverage. Definitely great for covering acne or blemishes. Very heavy on the skin though and a bit expensive.

on 1/11/2019 5:23:00 PM

My HG foundation, and it's been like this for many years. Surprisingly enough, I like the reformulation even more than the original, which is unheard of for me.
I did take a break from wearing it for a couple of years, because the original had started looking not-so-great on me, so I replaced it with ELDWL and tried a few others. But luckily this summer I decided to try the reformulated version, and I fell in love once again.

I wear the shade Ecru, same as before, but this time it seems to match me much better (NW15).
I only apply with a BB, I haven't tried this one with a brush because I feel like it would be too thick. But with a damp BB and without a primer, my skin looks very smooth and healthy. I prefer using it without a primer, I feel it lasts longer this way.
It is not too matte on me, but it does control oil while looking very skin-like.

I don't have much to cover, just redness and some old acne scars, and the coverage is medium-high and buildable. It lasts until I remove, which sometimes is after 24+ hours (I know it's bad, but sometimes I sleep in it if I don't spend the night at home). It hasn't broken me out.

The only con I can think of is the pump-less bottle, but I use a pump I had from a Smashbox foundation and it fits well. I also heard MAC sells pumps that fit this bottle, but I haven't tried it myself. And of course the price is not all that budget-friendly, but at least to me it's worth it.

on 1/11/2019 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Despite thorough moisturising and priming, I don't like the way this foundation feels or looks. I figure its probably best for younger skin. I realise everyone's skin's different, and hats off to you if it does work for you. But for me, its probably one of most difficult to blend, tacky, heavy foundations I've ever had the misfortune to spend money on. On the days I do wear it my face feels tight and uncomfortable. Makes me feel very unglamorous all day.

It's my favourite foundation. It's really efficient (30ml for 6 months), last all day, my skin look natural (I think). It doesn't have any smell (it's a big plus). But it's better for winter, for summer time it's too heavy. It's worth to invest in your face and comfort;).

on 1/9/2019 8:58:00 PM

Holy grail foundation! I love the consistency/coverage and shade range! I am very pale, so shell works well for me. Also does not melt and lasts a full day of wearing!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Ok so this is my favourite foundation of all times and let me tell you why. I'll start with the cons so you can see how much the pros outweigh it.
However, there goes a short version of the review for those in a hurry: I love this foundation. It's a bit thick but easy to work with a brush (stippling, oval or beautyblender), medium to full coverage without looking heavy or cakey. Doesn't get oily through the day and it stays all day long, even in hot and humid places like Brazil. Transfers very very little in oily skin (my friends with dry skin swear that it doesn't transfer at all) It's a bit pricey and the packaging without a pump or something makes you waste a considerable amount of product.

Cons:
It's not a cheap foundation, although I don't find it so expensive. As a matter of fact I paid 24 euros for it at a Douglas promotion (usually is around 40 euros) in Spain (while travelling , I'm from Brazil) so it was totally worth the price.
The packaging is the lowest point to it. It actually outrages me that it doesn't come with a pump but you can ~buy one separately for 10 dollars~. This is so Appleish.
I usually use a flat small brush (initially conceived for applying concealer) to take it out of the package and then use a larger stippling or oval brush (I like the last one more) to spread it. I read that some people can only use this foundation with a wet Beauty Blender but that isn't the case for me - I only use a wet sponge if I want to give it a perfect finish. I can see that there is a considerable waste of product with this method, so this is a con.
Lastly and sadly, Estee Lauder left Brazil (I am never going to forgive you). I have to buy lots of it when I travel or ask friends that are abroad to bring it to me, which works but it's very unconvenient. None of the packages that I bought looked like they oxidized though, which is a pro.

Pros:
My skin is oily (mostly in the T zone) and has suffered with acne during my teenage years, so I have a few scars (only visible when me face is in the sun). Also I have rosacea and dermatitis, so my skin tends to have red spots and get a bit flaky and dry during sometimes in the places outside the T zone (cheeks and jaw line).
I live in a very hot and humid place (Rio the Janeiro - Brazil) and this makes things even worse because everything melts during the day.
Having said this I have to say that this is a GREAT foundation.
The color 2C3 Fresco is almost a perfect match to my skin tone (I have fair to medium skin tone and neutral undertone). The consistency of the product is a bit thick but it goes on the skin smoothly with a brush. It dries fast but not fast enough so that you can't work it.
The coverage is medium and you can build it to a full coverage. I don't think you can reach a light coverage with it. Although the coverage is medium, it doesn't look heavy on your skin. It also doesn't get flaky or cracked or cakey during the day (I had problems with a few foundations that looked like they dried up my skin and revealed lines that I don't even have). This looks very smooth, as if you have a naturally very good skin.
And now let me tell you this: IT STAYS. YOU CAN RUN A MARATHON AND THIS FOUNDATION WILL BE THERE FOR YOU! As I said, I live in a very (VERY - it is currently 39 celsius degrees around here) hot and humid place. I take a bus and the subway to get to work and I can feel that I am sweating in my face. However, when I arrive at work my face still looks fresh and the coverage is still very good.
This foundation barely transfers (of course if you rub a napkin on your face it will come off a bit, especially after sweating so much - but come on, for those wondering if their soul is melting inside one's body, a bit of transfering is a big win). I usually have a big problem with foreign make up because they are not made for tropical weather (hello Lancôme this is for you).

This foundation was a great surprise and I am completely in love with it. I use it on a daily basis and also to go out at night - it is super versatile for me. I believe that for those living in colder and drier places it works perfectly as a night foundation. I will definitely continue to use it!

on 12/28/2018 3:38:00 PM

I finally tried this foundation after hearing about how great it is for years. Of course I apparently chose the wrong time - they changed the formula! I use CosDna as an ingredient lookup for anything and everything that goes on my face. It's how I check if something will break me out or not (and it's always been right!), so I accidentally looked at their old formula when checking it out, which has a clean record! I picked some up yesterday, looked at some reviews on here last night, and saw that it has a bunch of "bad breakout" ratings recently, so I decided to revisit the ingredients, and there we go, they changed the formula. Too bad, I really like it. I'm wearing it today and I do already have some small bumps on my face....wow. If your skin isn't sensitive then it's a semi-matte, full coverage foundation that has held up around 9 hours and counting without fading or getting oily, though my nose feels a bit dry.

on 12/24/2018 8:05:00 AM

I have a mixed skin type, T zone is oily and the rest of the face is dry. I often get hormonal breakouts so I prefer going for full coverage. This foundation looks amazing, covers everything and stays in place. It can feel tight if you don’t moisturize but it dosn’t bother me. What does bother me is the fact that it does not come with a pump at this price range!!! All in all I love it and I would repurchase.

on 12/20/2018 12:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

packaging is fancy but for the price& how high end this is, the fact that it does not come with a pump- sucks.
this is an great foundation but you really can't use too much of it. fades nicely at the end of the day if you're oily, but even then it's kind of glowy. it's not fantastic but it's okay. not worth the steep price. you can find better foundations.