Huda Beauty Desert Dusk Palette

No Image

3.8

on 6/17/2018 12:03:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

The colour scheme is great. The glitter/ metallic sparkles this palette has were breaking apart after a simple tap. I wouldn't buy this palette if you just like these loose sparkles. The packaging is great.

on 5/7/2018 7:50:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I really do love some shades, however, some are really not my thing. And I do not think it comes to the expectations. And also I really want to emphasise the fact that Huda really sells at high prices and the whole packaging does not live up to the expectations. And I already see I will use some of the shades and some will really remain full. I am not that critic to that, I know all of us can not have the same taste.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I wasn't going to bother with the Desert Dusk palette, as I have the [imo] overhyped Rose Gold palette and really only enjoy two of the shadows in it, which at the price- point is appalling. But when I learnt a few things about the ratio of the shadow finishes and new formulations I went for it and am so glad I did. Lets start with the strongest improvements; the two pearl shadows in the Rose Gold palette are my favourite things in it, so getting six of them this time around is what made me buy it. The pink/gold shade Angelic is also in the Rose Gold palette, but the other five shades [Turkish Delight, Cashmere, Royal, Nefertiti, and Blood Moon] are all new.

What made the Rose Gold palette standout and unique is the seven 'textured' topper eyeshadow shades, but I have hooded eyes so find that they transfer over the day - plus I'm not a huge eyeshadow topper fan in general, so think that getting seven topper-only shades in one palette is a waste. When I learnt that there were fewer toppers in the Desert Dusk palette with a different formula I was already delighted, but when I got the palette and started playing with it I found that you can build the duo-chrome topper formulas [Retrograde, Twilight, and Celestial] to be opaque with no problems (using a finger for application rather than a brush, is best), which is great news for those of us who don't bother with toppers too often. The remaining topper [Cosmo] is a pure glitter one so I've only worn it twice and would strongly reccomend using a glitter glue with it - there isn't a noticeable base to it, so it looks and acts like loose glitter once applied.

The Rose Gold palette has ten mattes while Desert Dusk has eight [Blazing, Saffron, Amethyst, Oud, Amber, Eden, Musk, and Desert Sand] which was disappointing to me at first; with all of the shimmer and duo-chrome going on in Desert Dusk you need plenty of matte shades to balance it, so I wasn't overjoyed to find there are fewer ones here. However the matte shadows here are in shades that are more appealing to me in comparison to the Rose Gold edition and the formula is different to Rose Gold too - they blend and wear much more nicely for me this time around, so I'd much rather get slightly less here, rather then more with the old formula.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Ok so... mixed feels guys. The packaging is absolutely stunning, there’s a mirror and the shades look stunning in the pan.

The palette is comprised of topper shades (retrograde OH MY!), a true glitter shade which actually is like a pressed glitter not like micro shimmer/pearls like the toppers but glitter particles, a few shiny metallic and some stable orangey warm tones and browns with some purple shades.
Anyway down to the palette, the topper shades are beautiful but I’d say either apply with your finger or a packing brush for BAM results. The colours however do blend exquisitely and are gorgeous if you do manage to build them up. However, there are some shades that do have a fair bit of fall out and need to be built up. I’m not sure if that’s how they’re meant to be and huda designer it in that way. But there are some pigmented matte shades and metallic shades which are so pretty.

However the palette is DAMNNN very expensive and yes I love the palette but they don’t have the ‘hello pigment’ ‘so pigmented’ quality that other palettes do, like morphe or violet Voss. Maybe if you can swatch it for yourself do that as there is a really mixed bag of some quite pigmented, to some less so and some which have a fair bit of fall out. The topper shades are pretty.

This palette is pretty and unlike any I’ve ever tried, but for €65 maybe I was expecting slightly more. I must confess I’m still kinda obessed with it, like i could kinda just stare at it for a while. Anyway, I’d say go into a sephora if you can and see if you like it as if you’re an ABH shadow kinda gal (or guy) I think you’ll like it but for €65 maybe check out better palettes that are more affordable and don’t comprise quality.
Enough said, the pans are a decent size but maybe I wouldn’t repurchase again.

Bought this because I love the first palette, the rose gold one, and was super excited for it! I love the colors in the palette, when I first tried it, the fallout was terrible! All over the place, and the shadows, wouldn't blend! I was super disappointed, in fact I ended up selling it :(