Deciem The Ordinary 100% Plant-Derived Squalane

3.7

on 3/2/2019 5:02:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

It's a nice product for my dry face, and I usually use it at night. Be careful to stay away from the eye area as it may go into the eye. After using it only for a few days, I find my skin a bit more softer and a bit more clearer. Sometimes when my skin is extra dry I top it up lightly with my rather thick moisturizer. Been using it for about 6 months now and still like it a lot.

Wanted so much to love this - I'd read its for all skin types so thought this was a good choice for my combination / oily skin. I've read not to use oils during the day (omg my nose would just be like an oil slick if I did) so thought this was a perfect night time booster to mix on top of the natural moisturising factors. First night I used it, it took about 30 mins to sink in but seemed ok. Woke up and my skin felt amazing!

Tried it two nights later and I've woken up with about 10 giant pimples on each cheek - I haven't had spots on my cheeks since I was a teenager. I nearly cried putting my make up on this morning. Such a shame. I'll try it again as a 'once a week' option and see how it goes, otherwise I'll use it for travel hair oil, At least they are multi use!

on 1/20/2019 11:38:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I have always loved oils for my dry skin but never come across squalene before The Ordinary launched it. Now it seems to be the latest trend and available everywhere from GOW, Inkey list, Indeed, all at quite affordable prices. I personally love it, I find it melts into my skin at night sandwiched under a moisturizer and offers bounce and glow (not grease) during the day now that's winter. It has emollient properties that other fancy oils lack. It doesn't offer a sensorial experience as it is pretty much fragrance free but that might be a bonus if you don't like fragrance in your skincare. I am a tretinoin user and have found this oil a godsend. I was skeptical at first because it was so cheap and it's a common misconception that a product has to be expensive to work, but I have been blown away by how much my skin loves it. I reach for it much more than any other oil which I have in my collection. Definitely happy to purchase again.

on 1/15/2019 8:25:00 AM

Love this oil on its own but even better when mixed (2 to 3 drops) with any of my moisturizers. This is the only oil my face loves. Moisturizing and soothing.

Gave me cystic acne unfortunately

It wasn't like I got acne immediately, but after I put it on I always noticed some itching on my cheeks. If I use this long enough I get really big deep cystic acne on my cheeks, which honestly never happens. Ever since I stopped using it I never got cystic acne except for the rare hormonal one on my chin.

Also feels like it sits on top of the skin and never fully absorbs.

on 12/31/2018 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium

I like the product but I hate the packaging - a pump would be so much better! It's very moisturizing but I find that if I apply it on its own, it doesn't absorb very well. For me it works much better if I mix it with a moisturizer/serum. I use it only in the evenings as for the day it would be too "oily".

on 12/31/2018 9:41:00 PM

After I tried the Ordinary’s hyaluronic acid I felt I needed something more moisturizing and purchased this instead of repurchasing the HA. Some nights I use this, some nights I use jojoba oil, and they both work well for me. My only complaint is I don’t feel like my skin absorbs it well, I feel like it kinda just sits on top of the skin. However I have read that some people like to mix in a few drops with their moisturizers vs. using it on its own, so I will be trying that. I would repurchase though!

on 12/28/2018 6:35:00 PM

Did not like this one compared to Indie Lee Squalene Oil. This one never felt like it did much on my skin, sad because it's so much cheaper.

I love squalene oil though and may pick this up again just to try and compare once more.

on 12/28/2018 5:23:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I really really wanted to love this, but, sadly, it broke me out! I have very oily and acne prone skin. I am currently on Accutane which is why I was looking for a hydrating serum or oil that would not break me out. Even though this oil is hailed as non-comedogenic and ideal for acne prone skin, it still broke me out... Nothing major, just some annoying little pimples on my face, but enough to prevent me from using this product on my face again. I started using it on my neck and chest area and unfortunately, it broke me out again after a couple of days! It's such a pity, because this oil makes your skin sooo soft and I really felt like it hydrated my skin well! It's not a thick, greasy oil but sinks into your skin quickly. Now I'm only going to use it on my hair and mix it with my body milk so I don't have to throw it away. Won't repurchase! If you're looking for a non-comedogenic serum that hydrates your skin, I definitely recommend TO's Hyaluronic Acid instead! That one did what it had to do without breaking me out.

on 11/30/2018 3:44:00 AM

I have sensitive, dry skin when I was working as a flight attendant due to irregular sleep and terribly dry cabin conditions.
This was one of the very first product i got from The Ordinary, and WOW it blew me away.

I use it on top of a water based face gel/cream so it doesn't get too heavy/greasy. Trick is to put 2 drops on ur fingertips and tap it over ur face. If you put on too much, just blot the excess off with tissue paper. This product has not clog my pores or make my eczema worse. No oil seed or whatsoever.

At 5.50pounds, this is my holy grail. Crazily cheap but does it job so well, I don't need need to use facial masks after a long flight because this does the job quick! Good for lazy people like me lol.

I hope The Ordinary opens up more store worldwide so it would be easier to stock up on their products wherever I am.