Deciem The Ordinary 100% Plant-Derived Squalane

Deciem The Ordinary 100% Plant-Derived Squalane
The Ordinary 100% Plant-Derived Squalane

3.8

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Love this. This was just the product I needed. My skin has gotten increasingly dry over the last few weeks since it is now sort-of autumn where I live. My HA from the ordinary had run out and although I liked it a lot, it never helped fix how dry my skin gets over the course of the day. This however does just that. It’s great under makeup, has a nice consistency and feels fresh considering it kind of resembles an oil to the touch. Also, you really only need a drop of it, or two. Having said that, this is no miracle product, it does not fix my really dry spots, but I did not expect it to. Would really recommend it!

on 9/5/2018 4:27:00 PM

This broke me out pretty badly :(

Oddly, the Ordinary Retinol + squalane was fine. Anyhow, it makes a wonderful cuticle oil now.

on 9/5/2018 12:49:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So I jumped on the Ordinary bandwagon and just went crazy. By far, this brand is one of the best skincare finds of the century. Most of the products worked well for me and considering the price, I really don't have any complaints. However, as always, some products work better than others.

This one didn't work for me. It made me break out, so I used the rest on my hair instead. Either get a more hardworking moisturiser with other active ingredients (if you wish to save yourself one step in a many-step skincare regime) or use one of the better oils, like borage seed oil.

Does not quite sink into the skin the way you would want a hydrating oil to - just sits on top and slides around. Still provides a barrier for your skin overnight, but didn’t noticeably improve moisture levels, or anything else really. Didn’t break me out but is way too greasy looking to use during the day. Don’t bother with this, I recommend using the rosehip oil instead.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This stuff has been a god send- it actually makes me super oily skin LESS oily throughout the day (even in the awful heatwave we just had.) using a thin layer during the day underneath a primer and foundation helps make the makeup look more natural, IMO. I also love how this oil has no scent and doesn’t feel as “oily” as other facial oils. I use this day and night all over my face, including under my eyes. It’s great for dryness and combating an excess of oil on your skin. My skin needs this stuff now that I’ve discovered it. My face is softer and healthier looking. I will be replacing this when it’s gone for sure.

I've used a number of different facial oils over the years, including jojoba oil, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, and rose hip oil. Jojoba oil was my go-to for many years until my skin became more prone to dryness. It's probably partly age, and partly the heating system in my current home, but in the last few years battling dryness and flakes has been the tougher part of dealing with my combination skin.

I'm on my second bottle of The Ordinary Squalane, and I went through my first one in the winter when my skin is at its peak of dryness, so I've definitely put this product to the test.

I put off reviewing this though because tbh, while I like it a lot, I don't have a ton to say about it. The Ordinary Squalane didn't make my skin glow or anything. I don't need to spend a ton of time extolling its many benefits, because for me it does one thing very, very effectively: keep away dry skin. In the period of time between when I used up my first bottle and when I ordered my second one, I was using other moisturizers (moisturizers that I have always liked) and definitely noticed my skin was more flaky and dry. That was when I knew for sure I had to repurchase. TO Squalane also does not make me break out, cause irritation, or break the bank. The cons are because it's an oil that I wouldn't exactly classify as light, it's a nighttime moisturizer only for me. However, you could probably get away with it in the daytime if you use a very light hand. I personally like to slather it on at night, leaving my skin oily and shiny and let it work its magic as it absorbs until morning. I'm also not a fan of bringing a glass dropper bottle while I travel, so I keep this one at home and use The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors when I'm on the road.

on 6/28/2018 6:25:00 AM

This is a nice oil to add to your skin or your hair. With age my skin is tending to dry and I picked this up to give it a whirl. I’ve used up the bottle. I’ve used it as a primer, I’ve mixed it with dry mattifying foundations, I’ve rubbed it in my hair and I’ve used it as a serum in my night time regime. It’s great, no smell, clear, plays nice with my skin, my hair and all products. It’s one of those nice neutral multipurpose products. It moisturises skin and hair, it doesn’t clog or leave your hair feeling heavy. And it’s cheap and cheerful.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I’ve been using this with regularity (not daily but a few times a week) for several months now and I’m here to finally bestow my wisdom upon you; no need to thank me but you’re welcome (that’s a joke btw).
This is one of those products that I wasn’t totally convinced I “needed” nor did I fully understand what makes it potentially superior to other oils. To be honest I’m still not sure about that - other than the shelf-life and the fact that it is a component found naturally in human skin. The latter is what made me want to try it. Well, that and the fact that A. It exists and B. It’s inexpensive.
I use oils on my skin a lot, and many different types; from coconut to oil to emu to jojoba, castor...you get the idea.
For reference I’ve got good skin but dry skin and it’s not sensitive at all or prone to breakouts.
Do I find this to be a revolutionary game changer in the oil arena? No. I mean, it’s oil. However, as oils go I find the winning attributes of this one to be as follows:

Scent free

Excellent viscosity (not thick, this is thin and liquidy which makes it much more comfortable to wear than other oils. Also quite moisturizing for such a thin oil.

Good absorption - this does not sit on the skin it comfortably penetrates

Moisturizing - oddly, I find that a lot of oils don’t leave my skin feeling as hydrated after a while (meaning an hour not after regular use)

Not sticky or greasy (some oils - castor - are very sticky. Others become sticky once they’ve been opened - almond - and oils like coconut oil I find quite greasy)

And, all of the above properties also make it;

Easy to use and very efficient with other products. From skin care to cosmetics.
I’ve mixed it with my foundation and even my concealer in the dry winter months. It’s now become part of my nighttime regimen for added moisture and absorption (I’m not 100% that it actually aids absorption but it seems to). It’s also great to extend products - I added a drop each time I used to the last of my Cle De Peau cream (i know but I can’t help it I love that stuff) and got several more days out of it than I would have. I’ve added it to body creams that are a bit on the thick, too-occlusive side...

But also works well when going solo - When used on it’s own (some nights I just can’t be bothered with more than one product) I wake up with surprisingly soft skin, more so than with other oils, and even many creams.

basically I’ve done everything but drink it. Yet.

Tried 4 or 5 time, broke out within a day every time. I wanted to love it since it’s FA safe, but it just does not agree with my skin. I may try another source

on 5/12/2018 8:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I really like this stuff! For some reason products containing squalane always seem to break me out so I was naturally pretty wary of trying this, but when used on its own pressed into damp skin or mixed with some hyaluronic serum it sort of balances my skin and keeps it really soft. I can only use this 2-3 times a week before it starts to seriously clog my pores but that's enough for my combo skin anyway.

ETA: It turns out that even using this 3 times a week slowly clogged my pores from deep within and I ended up having to deal with a solid month of breakouts and then trying to fade the scars from it for another 2 months. I still use a drop of this in my moisturiser if my skin is feeling particularly dry but NEVER more than once a week.