Deciem The Ordinary 100% Plant-Derived Squalane

The Ordinary 100% Plant-Derived Squalane

3.8

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I’ve been using this with regularly (not daily but a few times a week) for several months now and I’m here to finally bestow my wisdom upon you; no need to thank me but you’re welcome (that’s a joke btw).
This is one of those products that I wasn’t totally convinced I “needed” nor did I fully understand what makes it potentially superior to other oils. To be honest I’m still not sure about that - other than the shelf-life and the fact that it is a component found naturally in human skin. The latter is what made me want to try it. Well, that and the fact that A. It exists and B. It’s inexpensive.
I use oils on my skin a lot, and many different types; from coconut to oil to emu to jojoba, castor...you get the idea.
For reference I’ve got good skin but dry skin and it’s not sensitive at all or prone to breakouts.
Do I find this to be a revolutionary game changer in the oil arena? No. I mean, it’s oil. However, as oils go I find the winning attributes of this one to be as follows:

Scent free

Excellent viscosity (not thick, this is thin and liquidy which makes it much more comfortable to wear than other oils. Also quite moisturizing for such a thin oil.

Good absorption - this does not sit on the skin it comfortably penetrates

Moisturizing - oddly, I find that a lot of oils don’t leave my skin feeling as hydrated after a while (meaning an hour not after regular use)

Not sticky or greasy (some oils - castor - are very sticky. Others become sticky once they’ve been opened - almond - and oils like coconut oil I find quite greasy)

And, all of the above properties also make it;

Easy to use and very efficient with other products. From skin care to cosmetics.
I’ve mixed it with my foundation and even my concealer in the dry winter months. It’s now become part of my nighttime regimen for added moisture and absorption (I’m not 100% that it actually aids absorption but it seems to). It’s also great to extend products - I added a drop each time I used to the last of my Cle De Peau cream (i know but I can’t help it I love that stuff) and got several more days out of it than I would have. I’ve added it to body creams that are a bit on the thick, too-occlusive side...

But also works well when going solo - When used on it’s own (some nights I just can’t be bothered with more than one product) I wake up with surprisingly soft skin, more so than with other oils, and even many creams.

basically I’ve done everything but drink it. Yet.

Tried 4 or 5 time, broke out within a day every time. I wanted to love it since it’s FA safe, but it just does not agree with my skin. I may try another source

on 5/12/2018 8:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I really like this stuff! For some reason products containing squalane always seem to break me out so I was naturally pretty wary of trying this, but when used on its own pressed into damp skin or mixed with some hyaluronic serum it sort of balances my skin and keeps it really soft. I can only use this 2-3 times a week before it starts to seriously clog my pores but that's enough for my combo skin anyway.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

This works beautifully with their +HA moisturiser for really hydrating the skin. I mix three drops of it with the moisturiser every morning and night.

A note about squalane: it is a penetration enhancer so while by itself it may not break you out, if you combine with other products, products which didn't used to break you out might. So yes, squalane (regardless of where you buy it from) is potentially comedogenic when combined with other products! I am currently on the lookout for products which are just as hydrating and with less risk.

on 5/5/2018 6:15:00 PM

I used this product one time and broke out. I got inflamed acne under my eyes where I used it which has NEVER happened with any product. My eyes are not prone to clogging so this was surprising. I use products with squalane and have no issues, so maybe this much concentrated squalane has a negative effect on my skin.

on 4/22/2018 2:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Packaging is great and the price is right but there is something about this squalane oil really irritated my skin. I have tried other brands (Timeless Squalane which is derived from olives) this one is derived from sugar cane. I am sorry but there is something not right with The Ordinary. Everything I have tried from this company has been sub-par.

on 4/16/2018 10:28:00 AM

The first The Ordinary product I bought after lots of hours spent researching on the internet - wow! This is an excellent oil. I have been using it for about a month

I use it every night, following cleansing and a serum (lately it's been Ascorbyl Glucoside Solution 12%, which is another wonderful product by the Ordinary). It's very light, with no discernible smell, spreads easily and is easily absorbed. In the morning, my skin feels great and looks, dare i say it , dewy in the best possible sense. It did not break out my normal to combination skin. Love the packaging, dark and with a dropper. And of course, you cannot beat the price.

I have been pleased with all my buys from The Ordinary so far: The Ascorbyl Glucoside Solution 12% and the Matrixyl 10% + HA are both lovely, but will keep on using for a while before posting reviews. I am introducing one new product every two weeks to my routine. What i can say right away is that I love the minimal aesthetic of their packaging and the price.

on 3/19/2018 5:08:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

My details: Combination skin, some noticeable pores around nose region. Prone to redness on the nose and cheeks. Breakouts.

This oil is FANTASTIC. My new staple product.

Bottle: Is a dark-coloured glass to protect the product within- very important. The dropper can let a BIT too much out at times, but is easy to control nonetheless, especially compared to some bottles I have used (other products) where the dropper is too stiff to use and I have to resort to turning the bottle upside down to get some product out... blehh, not ideal.

Price: I paid 7EURO for this product. Amazing.

Product: Got out of the shower, and applied it for the 1st time (3-4drops). My skin was immediately soothed and moisturised.
It applied like a dream. Took a minute or two to fully absorb, but my my my, it is worth it. My skin was immediately comforted and had a real GLOWWW, I was like, 'ah ma god, is that actually me, glowing like thaaaat?'. I went to bed & woke up the next morning and all of my redness was gone, pores SHRUNKEN, and honestly, my complexion looked healthy and balanced. I had a breakout at that time too, which I think the hydrating benefits of this oil helped to clear up.

Since I started using the oil 2 weeks ago, I have had ZERO new breakouts and my skin looks so healthy.

SIDENOTE: Has also somehow managed to help with the DARK CIRCLES under my eyes. You know the type- Get 3 hours of sleep, look dead, get 10 hours of sleep- still look dead...use the most expensive eye creams- still look dead... That type? Tha'ts normally my situation, but crazily enough, this oil has helped to make my eye region look 5 years younger and dark circles are all but erased. This week is the 1st time in years I have ventured out of the house without under eye concealer. It's great stuff.

Try it.
For the price, it's well worth sampling.
I hope it works as well for you as it has for me!

on 3/2/2018 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

Love this facial oil! It hydrates my retinol-treated skin SO well and absorbs into my skin after a good twenty minutes or so. I can only compare it to facial oils I've bought at Marshall's which are thicker, don't penetrate the surface, and leave my skin dry or broken out in the end. The only drawback to this oil is that it is not easily controlled with the dropper (i.e. simply pulling the dropper out has caused oil to slip out and onto my counter).

Ok, so I’m a late bloomer when it comes to The Ordinary but I have bought and tried at least 20 of their products so far and some I can live without, but not this one! If you have dry, maturing skin, then this is your answer. I don’t have problems with it being too oily and leaving marks on my pillow as I have seen in comments left by other reviewers on The Ordinary’s website. Not to take sides with the retailer, but in all honesty these people must be using an entire dropper full of product to have had experienced this! I first came across Squalane via their Retinol products in Squalane, and loved how they hydrated my skin but figured it was also due the other hydrating ingredients also in the retinol solution. I wanted something that I could use in the morning that didn’t have anything active in it to use as a moisturizer, so I ordered a bottle of the 100% Plant Derived Squalane just to see if would work as well as it did in their retinol formulas, and it hydrates wonderfully without the feeling and look of just having eaten and rolled your face in a bucket of fried chicken! I also did some research on Squalane vs other facial oils and came to learn that it doesn’t oxidize and turn rancid as quickly as other oils, like Argan and a few others. I also learned that Squalane is found in our skins own natural oils. For me, at age 44 and going through some changes with my skin as I am getting older this has been a blessing. I use several anti aging products that can be very drying to my skin, with Roc retinol cream being the harshest, especially when I had just begun using it and was in the dreaded “acclimation” phase, as it wreaked havoc on my already dry skin, making it even more dry and add flaking and peeling to the mix, it was just atrocious! Well, it got much better when I added a layer of the 100% Plant Derived Squalane to my day and night time regimen. It’s very different from Argan and other oils. It doesn’t have the same greasy texture or feeling and it won’t leave your face looking like an oil slick either. It doesn’t take much, about 5-7 drops to cover your entire face and neck so a bottle of this will last a very long time! At $7.80 on Deciem’s website it’s an absolute steal for such a wonderful product! Compared to what you pay for this ingredient from other quality skincare brands you can not go wrong. It can also be applied to your hair and all over your body, anywhere you have dryness. I even use it on my eight year old son who has eczema, and on my Schnauzer after bathing her because she has very dry, flaky on her back! Bottom line...It’s 100% Plant Derived, Vegan, Cruelty Free, multipurpose, high quality, very hydrating without the shine and greasy look and feel and it can be worn under makeup or even mix a few drops in with your makeup...and it’s only $7.80!!!! What’s not to love! It plumps my fine lines, helps with the retinol yuckies and I will never be without it as long as it is available!