Deciem The Ordinary 100% Plant-Derived Squalane

3.9

on 12/12/2017 11:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I'm glad I stumbled across this product on ASOS since I've always wanted a natural heat protectant. This can be used in your hair in addition to your skin. I will repurchase.

on 11/21/2017 2:40:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

This is amazing in winter! I also use this on both my kids (4 and 7) around their mouths whenevet the cold weather gives them red irritating skin around their lips and chin. (We live in the north of Sweden, so the climate is harsh). I use it on my self as well, both in winter and when going on Retinol again in the Fall. Or whenever I need some extra TLC for my face!

on 11/16/2017 12:07:00 PM

When you're in your late teens/early 20’s you can go out, drink, party til dawn, get just a few hours sleep and wake up looking the same as you did the night before.

In your mid 20’s to early 30’s you can still do that, but now wake up with slightly puffy eyes. Still...no big deal, a few hours sleep or a quiet Sunday usually fixes it.

Then in your mid 30’s to early 40’s that puffiness takes longer to go away (and “partying til dawn” leaves you looking A LOT worse for wear the next day).
Even after a quiet Sunday you can still look baggy-eyed come Monday morning.
(Such are the joys of life, ageing and biology).
It's usually in response to this that we start investigating eye creams in earnest (that, and the fine lines that are now beginning to show).

Sadly for most of us, by the time you hit your mid 40’s and early 50’s the puffiness under the eyes doesn't go away at all - no matter what you do. And most eye creams that are perfectly fine in the morning and during the day, just exacerbate the puffiness if used at night.
So begins an unending search for that perfect night-time eye cream that won't make matters worse come the next morning.

Like many women I've tried tons of them. (And it's akin to looking for the Holy Grail).
The whole disastrous effect is exacerbated by the fat pads beneath the eye shifting and/or becoming more prominent, and the upper eyelids becoming drier so the skin has a “pulled” appearance.
(I know. So much to look forward to!!).

So - having tried and tested an absolute arsenal of eye creams - everything from Clarins, Restylane and Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair to all the cheaper drug store brands - I think I HAVE finally found something that works.
Squalane.
It seems to keep my upper eyelids moisturised and doesn't appear to increase under-eye puffiness the next morning.

The Ordinary’s Squalane is environmentally-friendly being plant-derived from olives (as opposed to killing a poor shark for it).
It's a very thin oil and I use a drop in my palm for upper and under-eye (1 drop for each eye) and I have to say it's the ONLY thing I've been able to use on my eyes in the last 10 years that hasn't accentuated under-eye puffiness the next morning.
I haven't used it consistently enough to attest to any long-term effects, but for initial results I'm impressed.

I've also been using it in the morning, before applying my makeup as a step-between my eye serum and eye cream/moisturiser and find that really helps to reduce and smooth visible under-eye lines and crepiness. Applied AFTER serum but UNDERNEATH moisturiser (eye cream) stops the final layer from being too oily, and minimises potential for pilling, balling or separating.

I've heard nothing but great things about Squalane and imagine it would be very effective as an all-over facial oil. A little goes a very long way, and at $13.90 AUD for 30ml, one bottle is going to last for quite a while. At that price it's well worth looking into.

on 10/30/2017 7:15:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

I've been adding this to moisturisers day and night for a few weeks now and love it. By itself its a bit meh, but when added to a light hydrating moisturisers it creates a perfect moisturiser for my needs, especially as the weather is getting colder. Light and nourishing, absorbs quickly - great price. I really like it

on 10/9/2017 12:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I completely agree with the review below. I also have normal skin which can be dehydrated and this product caused my skin to break out and become irritated. I have used several face oils and experienced no issues at all. After researching, I thought this product sounded ideal for my skin. It didn't agree with my skin whatsoever. My skin isn't particularly sensitive but after using this several times, my skin was left with deep red spots which still have not faded. I actually left a similar review of Kiehl's Ultra Facial Moisturiser as I experienced a similar reaction and that contains Squalane. I realise a lot of skincare is trial and error but my skin can usually handle most products so I was surprised I broke out so much from this. I would not really recommend to those with sensitive skin

on 10/1/2017 2:02:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was really excited to order this because of the raving reviews about squalane oil.
Unfortunately it didn't work out with my dehydrated, dry, sensitive skin which is also acne prone.
It has a very smooth texture that's like water weight and your skin absorbs some of it but the rest sits on your face. Compared the The Ordinary Moroccan Oil this doesn't absorb as nicely. It doesn't have a scent and looks clear.
Not only did this dry out my skin to the point of it become eczema like patches but I broke it with little hard bumps and I ended up scratching my face because it blocked my pores.

It's probably better for someone that has normal skin that isn't acne prone.

This is oil is wonderful. It sinks in nicely, so moisturizing but doesn't clog your pores. I recently had a bad experience with a moisturizer and this oil helped tame the drying and redness on my skin. It's also so affordable. I highly recommend trying it.

on 9/23/2017 12:53:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

There is nothing not to like about this! The price is fantastic, it’s a nice, light oil that absorbs quickly yet provides loads of moisture that lasts all day. There is no odor, and it works well on top of serums and under makeup. It makes my skin soft and dewy. I use it on top of hyaluronic acid and even mixed with hyaluronic acid, and sometimes this is all the moisture that I need.

I like a lot of oils, but squalane is supposed to be very stable, so that’s another reason to like it. I also read that it's a very healing oil, and I got to test it on my knee after a bike accident. I had three big red sores on my knee, and I'm really surprised at how much better they look after just two days of putting squalane on them twice a day.

on 9/16/2017 12:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

My skin type: extremely breakout prone, super dry BUT very oily. I avoided oils for the longest time, fearing they would break me out worse than usual. My hg is badgers unscented oil, but this is so affordable I figured I'd give it a try. I've been using it for a couple weeks and it hasn't seemed to caused any breakouts. I use it morning and night mixed with my regular moisturizer. It does it's job to add the moisture that my skin really needs, and imo isnt too heavy to use under makeup (you only need a couple drops). Im not too sure what else to say. I appreciate that there is no scent, and the price point is great. I will continue to use!

on 9/11/2017 8:08:00 PM

I used it for the first time last night as the last step to my PM skincare routine. The texture was runny and it is transparent. I smoothed it onto my skin and while a thin layer remained on my skin even after a while. When I woke up the next morning, my skin was appropriately moisturized and not oily :) I hope to see more positive results with prolonged use!

Background: 28 years old, combination skin with blemishes and the occasional breakout.