Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum

C-Firma Day SerumC-Firma Day Serum

3.0

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I received this in a holiday package set and love all of the drunk elephant products since they are made of simple ingredients. I did not see any positive or negative results from this, which is great since it is keeping my skin consistent. I would not repurchase just because the benefits did not match the expensive price.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have been using a sample of DE C-firma Day Serum for about 4 days to see if my skins likes it before I splurge on the $126.00 bottle in New Zealand. I am of indian decent and have combination skin. I'm in my early 30's and have been guilty of not giving my skin enough care. I recently discovered that I have developed small dark sun spots around the cheeks and eye area and wanted a product to reduce it. I went into Mecca Cosmetica and was recommended this serum to help lighten/remove sun spots. I took a sample home and started using it.

My first application after using product was good, I applied the product by itself at night and the next day my skin looked brighter. The second day I applied it during the day, and noticed my skin had a light tan to it, I'm unsure if this is due to the pale/mid yellow colouring the serum has. The third day I decided to use it with rose hip night cream to provide more moisture to my skin as the serum is a bit sticky on it's on, I applied this during the night.The next morning I noticed I started breaking out in small red bumps, just 2 or 3 around the forehead, t-zone and cheek.

Fourth day I used the serum at night just by itself and my red bumps got a little bit bigger, so I've stopped using it. This product could have reacted with the rose hip night cream, maybe, but the little breakouts was enough for me to make up my mind. I dont think I will invest in buying this product, I will research for an alternative.

Best advice is to get samples for these expensive serums and creams, everyones skin type of different so they react differently.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This gave me a bad breakout including a painful acne bump on the side of my nose which has taken almost 1 week to settle down (using The Ordinary Niacinamide & Zinc 2 x per day and PC's BHA 9). The only thing I can put it down to is the form of Vitamin C in here: Ascorbic Acid which is harsher than many other types of Vit C. The first few times I applied this were without any issues but by the 4th day all hell broke loose. Very surprised as my skin loves Vit C (in most forms) normally and there are so many good thing in here that should in theory counteract the harshness of the Ascorbic Acid, such as Licorice and Green Tea. Not for me.
However the few days I did use it, for what it's worth my skin did look very bright and radiant. The effects were definitely visible, just such a shame I couldn't continue using it. My advice would be to try out a sample first if unsure.

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: 'Nuxe' - Reve De Miel Lip Balm
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Foot File/Callus/Heel Treatment - 'Microplane' - Colossal Pedicure Rasp Foot File
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

I've purchased maybe four bottles of this stuff. Initially I was persuaded by the great review on Beautypedia (Paula Begoun's website) and what I heard in the blogsphere about it being a cheaper replacement for Skinceuticals vitamin C +E + Ferulic serum. Now, after maybe 18 months of continuous use, I'm not convinced. I don't think it did any damage, but I don't think it's really helped my skin that much. Plus, I'm skeptical of DE's claims that the yellowing of the serum is due to the tumeric included in the formula and not the vitamin C oxidizing. Not that I ever got that far past three months of use with each bottle---I think each bottle lasted me somewhere between 3-6 months. And because the bottle is opaque (good for limited exposure to antioxidants) I couldn't tell when the product was nearing empty. One morning I go to put it on and BAM! it's gone. Not a huge deal (I'd rather have the antioxidants stable) but it's a bit annoying. Also adding to my skepticism about the oxidation claims is the fact that my face felt a bit tighter and brighter at the beginning of each bottle, and less so towards the end. I would immediately repurchase (no lapse beyond 48 hours) between bottles, but yet the new bottle would feel noticeably more active on my skin. Made me think the product was degrading quite quickly.

Bottom line: Good, but not great.

on 6/27/2018 2:15:00 PM

I've used this product for over a year. I feel like it does a good job in keeping my skin hydrated but I didnt notice any difference in my skin looking more brighter and renewed. I felt like I was adding serum to my skin routine without the benefits vitamin c would because I didnt see a difference in my skin. I also felt like it oxidized quickly. The color is a dead giveaway. From what I've learned from research, vitamin c is supposed to colorless. I'm not a chemist or anything, but if the product is orange and turns into a darker brown overtime, then I believe it oxidized so for $100 CAD what was I putting on my face? I've used it for over a year as I believed its marketing claims, but learned so much more as I researched and have come to realize that I may have wasted money on a hydrating serum. Now I'm using a topical vitamin c powder and I definitely see a difference in brightening and my face looks renewed - overall, my face looks healthy. I do not recommend this product.

on 3/24/2018 6:54:00 PM

This burned the ever-loving hell out of my face. It also smelled like carrots and was orange. Like the serum itself was orange. Is that what vitamin c serum is supposed to look like? Either way, I am scared of trying any vitamin c- based product ever again. So, bla!

on 2/20/2018 7:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is so overpriced. The biggest problems with vitamin C serum are smell and feel on the skin—and this is no better than other high-concentration serums I've tried, despite costing a lot more. There is no getting around vitamin C feeling tacky and gross on the skin, apparently. If this felt better on the skin that similar cheaper serums it might be worth the $$. But it isn't so it's not. I'd rather just get something from The Ordinary...even if it doesn't feel the greatest, at least I didn't spend like $100 on it!

on 12/3/2017 10:08:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I had quiet a awful acne scar due to breakout during Australian summer 3 years ago, and never really fade until today. So when I moved to Canada, I looked up this product at Sephora and it claims to even out skin texture, includinf heal the scars. I decided to give it a try despite the steep price. I’ve been using it for roughly three weeks now every morning, and I started to see the result. My old acne scars really fade! And it helps to heal newer acne scars as well. I will finish this product, however if my scars are all gone and there’s no new scars, I don’t have to repurchase coz it’s the only thing this product can do, at least for me.

on 11/25/2017 9:14:00 PM

I've used 2 bottles of this stuff and will not repurchase. I understand that you're looking for a cumulative effect as opposed to overnight results, but I didn't see any change in my skin after using this for over a year. Each bottle lasted about 6 months. I used once daily under sunscreen often mixing with the BHydra or the Marula oil. Packaging is supposed to keep air out. As the product is colored orange it's difficult to tell if it went off or not. Not worth the heavy price tag in my opinion. I will try another vitamin C serum.

on 11/20/2017 6:31:00 PM

Love their philosophy, especially embracing cruelty-free, but not wowed with the results. The consistency was light and set quickly. Though fragrancefree, it smelled heavenly. After using the very last drop, I think that it was a great moisturizer, but without the usual benefits from other c serums. Not likely to repurchase, but may try other products.

Video Reviews & Tutorials