W7 Genius Feather Light Foundation

W7 Genius Feather Light Foundation
Genius Feather Light Foundation

4.3

Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral

Love, love, LOVE this foundation! This is my go to foundation on an everyday basis because it gives me beautiful natural looking, medium coverage plus it's super affordable. The consistency is really light and watery and glides on (I like to use a beauty blender for application). When I use this with a finishing powder, it lasts a long time on my combo skin; touch up required after 4-5 hours, but does not break on my t-zone (which is RARE for me)!

The only cons: limited colors available (I chose natural tan which is a decent match for NC35), so you need to be lucky to find your match. And I don't love the dropper applicator. But at a price of around 5 euro, I am not complaining :)

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I am 52 and it has taken this long to find my HG foundation. I have always loved W7. Cheap as chips, but high end quality. I originally purchased this foundation because of a couple of YouTube tutorials that raved about it. For the record, I am 52 with excellent skin, but am constantly finding that a foundation is either too shiny/greasy or alternatively too cakey. This foundfation is neither and I do not even need to powder after applying it.

It comes in a dropper bottle and cost me $5 Australian. Now you generally cannot get decent makeup for this price, but W7 has completely changed my view on this. I purchased it in the lightest shade and it is somewhere between porcelain and ivory. I apply 6 drops directly onto my Beauty Blender and start bouncing and swiping until correctly applied. You need to shake the bottle first. The finish looks just like natural skin. I can't adequately describe how good this looks, but you cannot tell that I am wearing foundation, it just makes your skin look radiant. I apply it over Neutrogena SPF 50+ sunscreen and it does not get shiny.

There isn't a huge variety of shades, so I got lucky finding a perfect match, but this is it for me now. I absolutely love this foundation and I will continue to use it. It's $5!!!!!! Wow, wow, wow!!!!!

on 8/1/2017 5:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

This foundation is AMAZING i mean for the price , can easily be compare to big names! Its light medium coverage, it looks super natural, creamy and easy to apply. I love it ! My color is true beige and it look perfect!

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

This foundation is probably my biggest heartbreak ever in purchasing makeup. There, I said it! For one, this had all the incredible components of a soul mate. The foundation of my dreams. The one I was going to walk down the aisle with (If I did get married), the one I was going to wear on special occasions and dates, the one I was going to spend the rest of my life with. But, sadly this just didn't work for my skin type.

I'll just put it out there, I have sloppy slippery dirty ho skin. At age 40, it still doesn't want to settle down and behave. It gets extremely oily immediately when I wake up and it stays like that until I go to bed. It refuses to grow old and dry out. If you have sloppy slippery dirty ho skin, this foundation will not work for you and here is why.

The formulation is indeed feather light. It's that watery consistency and feels like nothing on your skin. You would think this would be ideal for extremely oily skin. However, I find these watery foundations to be anything but lightweight. For some reason, most of these watery foundations cause me to produce even more oil. Obscene amounts as if I poured corn oil over my face and went out like "Hey, this is the look I WANTED." The only watery foundation that actually worked on my skin was the Shiseido Sheer & Perfect but that's the problem...it's got light coverage and I have things I want covered so it's not ideal for when I want to look my best. I can say that out of all the watery type foundations that I've tried, W7 Genius feels the most amazing and just glides so effortlessly over the skin.

Coverage: It's got extremely nice high coverage and you only need three drops for the entire face to achieve full coverage. I use the ELF flat top powder brush for this foundation and it gives such flawless coverage without looking like a mask. It's really genius on how effective this foundation works! Seriously, if you accidently brush over your lips, they disappear into your face and I have pigmented lips! The coverage is insane yet feather light at the same time.

Finish: Here is my problem. Yes, at initial application, you will fall in love with yourself in the mirror. You will take a step back and go "Omg, I look air brushed." Every single flaw is gone yet it looks like skin! You can't tell that you are wearing foundation! Because of my sloppy slippery dirty ho skin, this finish only lasts 30 minutes MAX and then I have to basically blot and pour powder onto my face. I didn't want to let this foundation go too soon so I tried working with it for a few days. Various primers, I did the Goss method by applying powder on bare skin as a primer and then putting this foundation on and adding powder on top etc. I played with silica based powders and talc based powders and same results. Corn oil face in 30 minutes.

Reactions: None. However, this is an extremely silicone based product so keep that in mind if you can't handle a lot of silicones.

Color Selection: I personally found a great color match with their darkest shade called Natural Tan. However, I'm NC40 olive and so anyone warmer or darker will have issues. Natural Tan is the coolest tone of all the foundations I own from previous brands. I'm not technically warm though, I'm olive leaning slightly warm. Natural Tan works on my tone but if you are true warm, this might not work for you.

Price: I mean, come on..it's six bucks! This is why my heart breaks. The idea of finding your true soul mate foundation that is only $6.00 would've been a miracle. But, that is how the story goes. No soul mate with men and no soul mate with foundation. Forever alone with my sloppy slippery dirty ho skin.

on 5/28/2017 3:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I wish I could give this foundation another rave review, but sadly it didn't work THAT well for me. For the price I really do think that it performs quite well, but I just can't help comparing this to Boots No7's Aibrush Away foundation, which I happen to really really like. They're both very similar in texture and feel, with the W7 being slightly more runny than the No7. There are essentially two things that I dislike about this foundation: how dry it makes my (not particularly dry) skin look, and how finicky the application is.

I have acne prone combination skin, with a slightly oily t-zone. When I turn to this kind of light weight, airy foundations I'm looking for a light to medium coverage that looks very natural. To me, that means natural to dewy finish, but this foundation dries down completely matte, and ends up looking dry and overly powdery on my skin. I don't find it particularly buildable (light to light medium coverage), and certainly not without waiting a good while for it to dry down/set before going in with another layer where you want some more coverage. I don't have a lot of dry spots, but this foundation makes me aware of ones that I never see using other foundations. I also think it settles weirdly into my pores. It does look a little bit better once warmed up on the face, but when that happens it's not long before it'll start to separate on my nose, chin and cheeks instead.

The application I find really hard, since it's so incredibly thin. It really is just a step above water in consistency, and none of the sponges that I've tried applying it with have worked (beautyblender pro, RT miracle complexion sponge, generic brand sponge) - it just completely absorbs into the sponge and it's like trying to blend water onto the skin. So for me a brush is a must, but since it's so incredibly thin, it just moves around and gets streaky. I feel like the best application tool would be a flat top kabuki brush, but sadly I don't own one as I'm usually a buffing technique kind of gal. It is possible to make it work using a buffing brush, but it does take a bit of extra work.

The lightest shade, Buff, is both pale enough and cool enough for my neutral to cool fair skin. I would say it's pretty neutral in its undertones, so unless you're extremely cool or extremely warm, you could probably make it work.

For the money, the performance of this foundation is beyond impressive. It just doesn't give me the finish I'm looking for, especially in a light and airy foundation like this. Paired with the fact that I find the application to be cumbersome, I wouldn't repurchase. But I would encourage everyone who can find a shade match to try this foundation - if it works for you, you've got yourself a pretty sweet deal with this one.

+ Cruelty free
+ Dirt cheap
+ Very lightweight on the skin
+ Lasts a decent amount of time, and when you factor in the price, it's quite impressive actually
+ I'm impressed by the fact that such a cheap foundation has a glass bottle

- Looks surprisingly dry, dull and powdery on my skin. I don't agree with the description of it having a "dewy glow" at all
- Hard to apply without streaks
- Really limited shade selection, with only 5 shades and True beige being the darkest one. Nothing for deeper skin tones
- While I personally like glass bottles, it's not very travel friendly

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

A very lightweight watery foundation. I'd say that it gives a medium coverage and it's beautifully buildable. I am oily with a dry tzone and this works very well on my skin.

on 1/4/2017 6:00:00 AM

I am about NC15 in MAC. I tried shade buff in W7. Foundation applied with my fingers looks good on my face and matches it nicely. When applied with brush to achieve fuller coverage looks a bit too pink. But fyi my skin is really warm toned Formula is great, very silky and runny what I love. I found it in TjHughes for £3.99.

on 11/25/2016 5:57:00 PM

This is my holy grail of cheap foundations. It is amazing. I apply it with a buffing brush and the coverage is high. The glass bottle and the dropper makes it feel more expensive than £2.99 in b&m stores. I've tried hundreds of cheap foundations and would highly reccomend this to anyone. It glides on your face as though it is pure oil but leaves a beautiful satin full coverage finish. This is my go to foundation. Although cheap I feel that it is far better than many dear brands that I have tried, blends well, lasts all day without a top up and without the need of a primer 😱

on 10/5/2016 9:47:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I bought this foundation in the color Buff, and let me tell you how in love I am with this foundation. I'm very pale and usually W7's buff is too dark for me, but this one is light, but it does oxidize a little bit after some hours (not enough to look too dark, so I can let this pass). I use a Real Techniques blending sponge to apply my foundation and this foundation can cost between 6 to 10 euros.

As someone with oily skin and acne prone, this foundation has not break me out at all. This foundation is so weird because it feels like pure oil. It looks like it's going to be a very light coverage but it dries up to a very beautiful satin matte finish and it covers all of my redness! It looks so natural on my skin. I set it with a pressed powder or a translucent HD loose powder. I get very oily with any foundation during the day (even non oil based foundations) and this one is just normal - I just blot with paper tissue a few times during the day and that's it, don't even need to re-powder it. (but I've tried it after many hours and it reacts well to getting powder again)

I have never had a foundation NOT separate from my skin after 5 hours. Primer, no primer, doesn't matter, it always separates and transfers everywhere... now this one, I use this foundation without primer (doesn't need, it doesn't even rub off my nose!) and it lasts the whole freaking day. Even after 12 hours, it's still in my face, it hasn't separated NOR transferred. After blotting the oil, I press my face and it doesn't rub off my face. It's amazing! That is why I said I was in love with this foundation. For now I have found my holy grail!