Biotherm Life Plankton Essence

Biotherm Life Plankton Essence
Life Plankton EssenceLife Plankton EssenceLife Plankton Essence

4.4

Ingredients: Aqua, Glycerin, Maris Aqua, Butylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol, PPG-6-Decyltetradeceth-30, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Hydroxide, Vitis Vinifera Extract, Cellulose Acetate Butyrate, P-Anisic Acid, Adenosine, Ammonium Polyacryldimethyltauramide, Disodium EDTA, Caprylyl Glycol, Vitreoscilla Ferment, Xanthan Gum, Polyphosphorylcholine Glycol Acrylate, Polyvinyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Linalool, Geraniol, Limonene, Citronellol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Benzyl Alcohol, Benxyl Beonxoate, Parfum (F.I.L. B163971/2)

on 3/4/2019 5:46:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

It's my life-saver. When I get any irritation or redness, I always apply this on my skin. For the result, it soothes as well as strengthens my skin. I'm now using the third bottle. It's so worth to invest with this thing. Personally, its smell doesn't bother me at all and its texture is a little bit sticky but I'm OK. And I will absolutely repurchase it.

on 2/24/2019 6:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

It is a good essence, however I didn’t feel much effect and I had to use it a lot for my entire face to feel saturated and soaked in it. Therefore I ran out of it with less than 2 months. For the price point it is very expensive and I feel Asian market offers a lot of cheaper alternatives with algae, antioxidants, hydrants and being also free of irritants. How it is marketed I expected it to really make a difference but it just fell flat for me.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I've never been entirely "sold" on the whole idea/value/need for "essences" - it just seemed like one more bit of snake oil sales that the cosmetic companies were trying to convince us that we "need"....just one more step in the already complicated process of skin care (pre-cleanse, cleanse, tone, serum, AHA/BHA cream, moisturize, etc. etc.). But I picked this up on a whim and because it was 20X the points AND 20% off and I'd also seen someone on youtube raving about it and then I saw Redwings 11's review and she's not steered me wrong yet.

I LOVE this stuff. The bottle is designed not only to look beautiful but also to work well. It's an easy business to shake out the 4 or 5 drops the instructions say to use without wasting or spilling product. I like that this is meant to be applied with the hands rather than with a cotton pad as there is no waste. And to my utter amazement, this essence actually seems to "do" something. It's almost like a very light but effective moisturizer and I can see this being my only daytime moisturizer in the hot, humid, muggy days of summer, just topped with my LRP fluid sunscreen. And in winter - our legendary (not necessarily in a good way) Canadian winters - this will be a wonderful first layer before my facial serum or oil and moisturizer. This product has something almost like the "mother" you sometimes get in vinegar - I guess it's the plankton stuff - but it's why you shake it before use to get the "active ingredient" distributed throughout the product.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

First off, I have oily skin, but (as I have recently figured out) quite dehydrated skin as well. I first used this product after receiving a sample of it from Sephora... and it smelled gross! The product itself smells like, in my opinion... like... sweating in a shirt, tossing the dirty shirt back into the back of the closet and leaving it there for a couple of weeks, only to use it again. But it did wonders for my skin.

The essence is sticky but absorbs into the skin like a dream. You can't feel the tackiness on your face unless you physically touch yourself with your hands or whatnot. However, I think one can overcome the stickiness. I certainly did! I used up the sample and immediately went to Sephora to purchase the full product. But damn, that was a steep price! I have told myself that I would never, ever spend that amount of money on a freaking liquid you apply on your face (also, I'm a student at university, blah blah). So I didn't. I left the product on the shelf and went to buy, I don't know, feta cheese or something.

But recently I have been feeling so sooo dry, since I live up in the north, and nothing seems to be working for my skin. I have gone from using a serum and a moisturizer at night to using two serums and two moisturizers on my skin, twice a day! And I still experienced that tightness in my skin. So I stared at myself in the mirror, twisted and turned in bed at night... thinking about this essence. Two weeks ago I just went ahead and slapped by pride away and purchased this damn product. And I would do it again! My skin is clearer, although I still have some troublesome areas that are just stubborn, like the right side of my jawline. No product has fixed that problem yet, but I never purchased this item to look better. I bought it because it genuinely feels great on my skin. And the clear skin has only been an added benefit.

Even for an oily mess like me, I need this kind of moisture to be able to sleep well at night. I also got my sister to try it on, and she has very dry skin; and although she experienced a slight burning sensation after applying this, that feeling quickly disappeared and in the morning I swear her skin was GLOWING.

So I if you have the coin for it, and your skin isn't very sensitive, I'd say GET IT!

on 1/13/2018 10:23:00 PM

After I got E-matrix treatment, I got a lot of redness which caused by the treatment however, i put biotherm over my face at night that morning i can see my skin was healing, the redness started to fade away. But i gave 4 lippies because of expensive price though.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

As with any essence, this is like putting water on your skin only better and smells positively lovely. I think it’s quite pricey at $75 which is really hard to justify for only 125ml of product. So sad that Biotherm is not cruelty-free... 😞 because this essence is beautiful. Skin drinks it in and is left with a silky, hydrated feeling that lasts and lasts. I had a sample of this and was amazed at how after only one use (nighttime) how much nicer my skin was. I can’t say if there are long-term benefits to using this but clearly it makes a great first impression.

Update 2018-04-15: After several months of use the effects of this essence on those of us with dry skin is sublime. I still have a hard time justifying $75 for the bottle, which is just about one of the most beautiful bottles I’ve seen ever (heavy glass with a tapered shape, ombré blue, silver cap), but still very expensive. There is something in this product that gives skin a silky feeling. It is nourishing and plumping, hydrating and oh how I wish it was more affordable. Will have to save my reward points for this...

on 3/6/2017 2:53:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This product is nothing like I've used before and is my go-to product now. I'm very on and off with products in general, so that says a lot for me. I use 2 or 3 drops in the morning and evening after washing my face. It leaves my skin looking radiant, dewy and like I have a natural glow. I love looking at my skin now. I also use the essence under my foundation. It helps the foundation go on smoother and the glow radiates underneath.

Biotherm calls this a cosmetic water. It's like a watery serum. No other product on the market like this that I have seen. Once you stop using it though, your face goes back to "normal." Therefore this tells me it is only effective short-term as you are using it. You must continuously use it on a daily basis to see best results.

on 12/7/2016 1:54:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

So I had been looking at this a while and just could not justify spending the money on it since I didn't really even understand what it was. I finally had enough shoppers points to get it and I'm glad I did. So this is like a soft oily liquid?? I have no idea how to describe it, it's odd. I apply it at night after my cleansing routine, toner, BHAs, AHAs or Vit C but before heavier oils/moisturizer. I used my fingers to apply not a cotton pad. Shake it well before use, mine did have some weird sediment at the bottom of the bottle before I shook it.
The scent is a little strong, it smells great but I prefer not to have added fragrance in my skincare. The bottle is beautiful blue glass but I am terrified of dropping it. The product itself feels very slippery on the skin, it absorbs at a medium speed I would never use this in the morning my skin is too oily for that. I found that with continued use my skin did look more even and brighter overall, no difference in plumpness/wrinkles. I did not break out at all from this. And I can use this under my eye area without fear of increased milia.
Give this a 4.5 (fragrance and fear of the bottle dropping lowered the rating) would repurchase, I like that this feels nourishing but doesn't break me out like so many products do.

on 8/24/2016 9:56:00 AM

According to the Biotherm Asian website* it contains 5% of L'Oreal's patented plankton exact: Vitreoscilla Ferment (in water). This plankton rich water is produced by a patented process by L'Oreal in laboratories since 1994. (Before it was harvested from a lake in the French Pyrenees.)
According to the website, this product (and the new Life Plankton Mask) contains the highest concentration of the fermented plankton of all products. (Other lines that you can find Vitreoscilla Ferment is the entire Biotherm line and other L'Oreal owned brands such as Lancôme and Vichy.)

The Life Plankton Essence is a turbid fluid. It is supposed to be shaken prior to application. It is said to act on 8 signs of aging in 8 days. Among others, hydration levels of the Epidermis is said to be increased resulting in a more glowing and hydrated skin.

I did experienced boost of hydration and a nice luminous glow. (But this is more to the polymer used in the formula.)
I do like the consistency and the feel on the skin along with the finish of the product.
What it lacks (for the price) is more anti-oxidants and cell communicating ingredients. But L'Oreal have never been famous for indulging their costumers in these anyway.

What I did not like is the fragrance. (It should be fragrance-free.) The added fragrance is borderline unpleasant and difficult to get used to. But after a while you will notice only at application. That being said, I have found that the second bottle I have purchased has a somewhat less prominent fragrance. (Edited 8.7.17. On the fifth bottle now and the fragrance is almost not detectable. It is clear that it is added less of.)

More info: http://www.biotherm.com/women-care/face/by-concern/hydration/day-care/life-plankton-essence-pf14022-3.aspx#prd_learnmore
* http://www.biothermsg.com/face/category/special-treatments/life-plankton-essence.html#ingredients