Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

Filtered by eye Color : Brown
Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

4.5

I really really wanted to love this product however all the hype it had just left me so disappointed. For the amount of hype this product had I thought it would be a God send but nope it was just absolutely horrendous for me. Now I love and support ABH I think they have a great line of everything and their other eyeshadows are great, I know that red shadows are very hard to formulate so I get why there is so much fallout. My issue is that these colors faded way too quickly for me, I could have used it glue as a primer and they would still fade. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Price point wise it is a great value, tons of shadows that come out to about 4.08 per shadow. Price is reasonable but that's it. Packaging is meh and gets dirty super quick. I don't know this palette was just not for me, I love seeing the looks everyone else makes with these and I wish it worked for me but unfortunately no cigar.

on 1/5/2017 1:41:00 PM

This palette is some kind of beautiful, it's true. The colour selection is rich and warm and cohesive and awesome. The eye shadows are soft and creamy and incredibly pigmented, and they blend really exceptionally well.

I have a couple of main gripes though. My top gripe is that these eye shadows crease and fade noticeably more on me than other formulas, both drugstore and high end. No matter which eye primer I use, my eye look is pretty messed a few hours later. :/ So if you're prone to creasing and fading, I would not recommend this palette.

Second gripe: the blender end of the eye shadow brush is total scratchy trash. They could at least put something usable in there.

Two other gripes: you don't get a lot of product in this palette compared to many other palettes of a similar price, and you get a lot of powder kick-up in the pan when you put your brush in there.

So I have mixed feelings about this palette, but I won't repurchase and I can't recommend this to others due to the creasing. Oh well! :/

UPDATE: Any eye shadow look I do with these shadows starts to fade and crease instantly and it totally creased and messed within a couple hours. What is the point of wearing it then? Definite regret! I removed another lippie from my overall rating.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Because I was mad at myself for missing out on the ABH Self Made palette, I'd decided that, come hell or high water, I would get her next palette as they are such a good value, price-wise. I really wanted for this to be a fabulous purchase for me but I decided to try it out in-store and there are just so many colours in it that absolutely do not work for me and actually make me look BAAAD - as though I've had a serious allergic reaction to something. Red Ochre, Venetian Red and Love Letter are the worst, along with Burnt Orange and Realgar, but several of the other shadows are also too orange/red based to be wearable for me! I already have enough of these types of colours in a bunch of KvD and UD Vice palettes and they are all untouched, so I hardly needed more. I'm sure these shades look fabulous on people with different colouring from mine and different eye colours but for me - no thanks. I also noticed, as I was trying this palette, that some of the shadows seemed to kick up a fair bit of powder. I thought it was because it was the store tester or that the SA at Sephora was being heavy-handed with her brushes but now, reading some of the earlier reviews, I see this is a common complaint. I'm glad I took the time to try it in-store to avoid a costly mistake.

I bought this palette when it first released, not realizing how hyped it was. I usually wait for reviews before buying but hey, there were red eye shadows and that was enough to grab my attention.
First off, the packaging is a miss. I like the light pink but the velvet like texture gets dirty fast. It's not the easiest to clean either.
Second, the brush was a miss. The smaller shadow brush is fine. It's soft, works well enough. But the fluffier blending side is so scratchy. It's not even usable! I like getting brushes with palettes if they are good. In this case I say drop the brush and knock off a couple bucks to the price tag.
Lastly, the shadow quality is good. The shimmers are not as intense and metallic as I prefer. In a lot of youtube tutorials you see people foiling them with setting spray to get maximum payoff. The mattes are better. Smooth and pigmented. I usually bring in another palette to use with this one because I do like more shimmer/metallic lid shades.
There are complaints about fallout since the shadows are soft. I do my eye shadow first, base makeup last, so I wipe off any fallout and it's not a problem.
I've had this since the first release and have pan on 5 shades. I like it. Would I repurchase? At this point there are a million red and berry toned palettes. Honestly, if/when I finish this I'd try a different brand. If this palette is your ideal color scheme I do think you will like it.

on 2/8/2018 2:56:00 PM

Do you like cranberry eyeshadow?

Do you like warm midtone mattes? And appreciate a bunch all in one place?

I can see why this palette has mass appeal. But I swear this is the most overhyped thing..

There's two shimmers and one satin shade. The rest are matte. If you appreciate shimmers in a palette (and I do) be forewarned these SUCK!

All the work was put into the matte shades and the shimmers just seemed like a gratuitous add on w no thought in quality what-so-ever. They blended away if applied dry. They needed to be applied wet (NEEDED to be applied wet) just to show up at all. Then if you wanted to build them up-- impossible. The second layer took off the first layer. So annoying!!

Tempura, the satin shade was better in quality compared to the gold and champagne shimmer shade (names escape me). And that's not to mention they're literally the same kind of shades found in every palette ever-- a pale gold and a pinky/peachy toned champagne reminiscent of UD sin... yawn.

No black and one deepish toned warm brown-- so to add depth to any look you are confined to Cyprus umber-- so that doesn't leave a lot of versatility-- it isn't that deep of a shade and again, there's only one shade like that. I hated having to reach for it to deepen up every single last look bc the end result was just always the same.

I couldn't get inspired to use this palette. I would try to make neutral looks. None of the mattes seemed to work on the lid-- the shimmers were unusable. So it's like I'd put tempura on the lid--- try to add some dimension w the mattes. Or foil the shimmers to make them usable. It was always more work than it was worth. Instead of 2-3 shades I'd reach for 6 shades just to make something look cohesive and dimensional. Then they'd all just end up blending together. The shadows didn't fade, but they just blended. I never felt like I had a good makeup day when I tried it.

I returned it just under the 60 days and I was so grateful I didn't wind up keeping it.

on 1/4/2018 7:30:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had waited forever to buy this palette and finally splurged when it went on sale. I was going back and forth between this palette, UD Naked Heat or both ever since they came out. Finally for Christmas, I let myself get this. The colors are so pretty, the texture felt very nice and pigmented and there is an impressive matte selection. My problem was the colors on me. Most of MUA recommended this over HEAT for me. But the more I played with the MR colors there were a few issues. First, I am not great with eye makeup, but everything kept muddying together...is it me or the palette? Second, these shadows wore me. I love shades like MAC Cranberry so I thought this palette would work, but these shades came off, maybe too warm for the browns, just not good on my nw20, deep winter complexion, 3n hair and brown eyes with some hazel to them (dark under eye circles too). I tried every which way to enjoy this palette, but I never smiled once after putting on a shade. I always thought, "How can I make this work?". The people I have seen this look best on have more of a golden complexion IMO. I could make some looks work, but it took work. I was not having fun with this palette. I had the same issue I had with the Lorac Pro Matte palette with the shadows feeling soft and velvety but just muddying up on me. So this is a pretty palette and if you can work easily with the colors, gorgeous. But it just did not get along with me very well.

Sidenote: I did pick up the UD Naked Heat palette later to try. Everyone kept saying it wouldn't work on me, but a few peeps with hazel eyes said they loved it (who were my complexion). It does come off a bit warm, but not weird warm like MR did on me. It gives me a peaches and cream look when I wear the softer shades. The bolder, deeper shades give me a gorgeous bronze smokey eye like I have never been able to pull off with true "smokey" gray/black, brown shades. If you like shades like MAC Embark and Antiqued...I think you will like Heat. I will write a full review later when I have played with it longer, but it seems to sit on me easier than MR. It has also made me smile more and been easier to work with on me than MR was. I just wish I had bought the UD during the sale instead. :(

on 12/26/2017 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I'm not sure if I understand the hype with this palette. I don't find the colors cohesive and I feel like its not flattering with my brown eyes. I will not purchase.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Beautiful palette but ended up returning it because of all the mess it creates. The shadows are so soft that even wth a light hand it would dust up everywhere and even mess up my face LOL. It's a shame really cause I liked those brown/orange shades.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

love love this pallette has a bit of kick up but pigmented and bendable long lasting go quality .I will not be dropping 60$ on the subculture pallette with all the "drama" surrounding it,I've found a dupe for the subculture not all the shades but one can get all the shades when the colors are mixed , the dupe is NYX. olive you pallette and it cost only 22$.sorry ABH.

on 4/21/2017 9:51:00 AM

These colors are very pretty, they are creamy and blend well and look fantastic on. However I get alot of fallout from this palette which is disappointing because I really love these colors but I find myself reaching for other shadows instead that dont fall on my face

Popular Palettes