SHISEIDO Ultimune

Wat

on 5/3/2017 5:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I received a sample size of this product from Sephora, and I still haven't been able to figure out what it's supposed to do or what type of skin it targets. Stinks because I normally love Shiseido products.

Anyway, this product has a ton of alcohol and makes my face temporarily dry and slightly sticky after application. It hasn't broken me out, but I have yet to see any skin improvements after weeks of diligent use. Consistency is somewhat runny and there is a mild fragrance. "Power Infusing Concentrate" sounds exciting, but my skin is sadly no more powerful than it was before I added this into my routine.

I fail to see a point for this product. Pass.

on 4/2/2017 3:37:00 AM

This moisturizes immediately after moisturizing, as it is absorbed fully into the skin. However, this effect does not last for long, and my skin becomes drier (or back to pre-application) within a few hours.
I've used two bottles of this product and have noticed no long-term difference. Will not repurchase.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Because it contains alcohol I won't recommend it. It does make the skin feel good like a very smooth primer. It might 'energize' skin by the tingling effect in reaction to the alcohol and possibly some other ingredients? I was already quite happy with my skincare but this did seem to help a couple of pimples die down. it doesn't do much of anything else for me so I'm giving it an ambivalent rating.

on 11/11/2015 8:13:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

If you are looking for a true serum, this is not it. Unless you have very oily skin, then perhaps you can get away by using this as a serum. I was confused when trying to figure out what this is because it's not a serum, it's not a toner, it's not a moisturizer... so what the heck is it and what's it for? It's an essence, like a loose gel you apply to your skin AFTER toner. Being a loyal Shiseido user, shopping at various cosmetic stores, and having a good friend working in a cosmetic store with Shiseido products, I have been showered with tons of samples from Ultimune; I have accumulated a large stash of this product in sample form. I've gone through about a bottle or two worth of this product over the past year since it came out. Here are my thoughts:

Incorporating this in my routine over the past year, my skin does look and feel smoother, brighter, pores are smaller, more balanced, my skin is plumper, and my skin is very clear, I cannot remember the last time I had a blemish even a tiny one. Approaching 30, I have slowly started to see the first tiny signs of aging, not so prominent ones plus I have "good skin" with an excellent skincare routine, but I have seen enough signs to make me take skincare along with my health, much more seriously. I get compliments on my skin, and get asked skin care advice even from 17-22 year olds so it must mean im doing at least something right.

Here's my routine: wash face, apply toner/softener, apply this Ultimune, treatment serum, and then massage my moisturizer in. Asian skincare has so many steps! It's annoying but it's worth it. The best way I can describe this is from what I read somewhere else saying this is like a multi vitamin for your skin, a booster for the skin AND skincare. This essence absorbs into skin quickly yet, leaves a slightly tacky film behind. Perfect for treatment serums and moisturizers afterwards. If you have combination to dry skin, do not just wash your face, apply this, and be done with it. Your skin WILL be left dry because it is not a moisturizer. Perhaps that is why many people have complained about this. Using this in a full routine is key. This essence reminds me a lot of the Eudermine essence, Shiseidos oldest product that comes in a pretty, Orient, red bottle. Both are similar in texture and what they claim to do, to balance and strengthen the skin. Eudermine is more hydrating and watery, it's more on the toner side of skincare, although it could be used as a light hydrater; and Ultimune is more of a serum/ treatment and not so moisturizing. If I had to pick only one, I would choose Eudermine since it's more versatile. Having either or, it is honestly not necessary or must have. Using Ultimune will not make a MAJOR change in your skin(Or perhaps it does?). Some people say toners, essences, boosters, etc, are not needed in skincare, but it is an extra step that makes me personally feel much better and I do see a difference, small differences, nonetheless every step counts and adds up to achieve the ideal skin.

All in all, this is not an amazing, bells and whistles product. It is something to consider if you want to spend the extra cash for something luxurious and extra additional into skincare. I've had great results using this, and I would absolutely purchase this.

on 10/22/2014 4:26:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

This product is dressed up in attractive packaging but the serum itself contains little of substance to justify the high price. Like another reviewerer noted, the second ingredient is denatured alcohol - all-around a poor ingredient for skincare. Over time it will cause dryness and possibly even an overall worsening of skin quality. It absorbs fast, but that's about the only pro - not until the 14th ingredient do you get to something that's actually botanical/plant-based. After water, it's all alcohols, silicones, and preservatives - you're probably better off not using anything than to use this on your face. It caused my skin to become dry, red, and irritated - I would highly recommend you steer clear of this product.