Rogaine (Minoxidil) for eyebrow growth

Rogaine (Minoxidil) for eyebrow growth
Rogaine (Minoxidil) for eyebrow growthTip for trimming Asian / sad / droopy eyebrows

on 3/27/2018 11:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I don't use this on my face... way too risky to try to use on my very sparse eyelashes and only use on my scalp, as I have experienced a receding hairline after months (nay, years) of severe stress on my body and emotionally. It does take commitment and after 3 months of religious use, it has slowed down the regular hair loss and seems to be creating an environment for baby hairs to sprout, which is cute but also annoying :) Highly recommend this (it's called 'Regaine' here in Australia) and you have to be consistent or it will not work - be patient, be diligent and save those pennies (this is an expensive product unfortunately) but well worth the expenditure.

I have tried several products to help my eyebrows grow, but nothing has worked anywhere near as well as 5% (men's) Minoxidil. I'm in my 50's and have had sparse eyebrows for a long time and learned about using Minoxidil on the internet. It took a couple of months, but I've had excellent results in eyebrow hair growth. In time I did experience dry, flakiness and itching in the area I put the Minoxidil, but solved that issue by going over the area with a vitamin E stick (found in the vitamin section of Walmart), or rubbing in a light amount of vaseline to moisturize my eyebrow area. For this reason, applying it at night before bed seems best. As for application of Minoxidil to my eyebrow area, I use the dropper that comes with the bottle to apply it to an eyebrow brush, then carefully brush the Minoxidil to my eyebrow area.

on 7/7/2016 12:03:00 PM

I had nooo eyebrows !! I literally had like 3 strands of hairs of eyebrows because i over plucked and they never grew back . I did my research and saw this product and it did wonders . In 3 weeks i saw more hair growth in my eyebrows . I would apply everynight with a q tip . I continued doing this for 2 months and i have some thiccck brows i never had before !

on 12/20/2015 6:27:00 PM

Been feeling some major brow-envy due to the strong brow trend. My natural brow hairs are very fine and more sparse in the outer third than I'd like. I could never achieve Cara Delevingne brows, but I do want to fill my own in more. I use brow makeup most days, but it would be nice to be able to skip that on more natural days or to have more brow to work with.

I've tried using Latisse on my eyebrows, but didn't see much in the way of results (it works better on eyelashes). I've heard about people using Rogaine on their eyebrows for years, but didn't get around to trying it until I saw that Amazon was selling generic 5% Minoxidil by Kirkland for a good price (under $7 including shipping). At such a low price, I figured it was worth a try.

I've been applying this only once daily at night before I go to bed. I just dip a cotton bud into the liquid and apply it to both brows, making sure to clean up any excess liquid since I do not want a hairier face.

I've been using this for the past 3 weeks. I'm glad to report that my eyebrows are a bit fuller, especially my left brow, which has always been pretty sad. There are more individual hairs and the overall effect is darker. I will continue applications in the hopes of achieving even more fullness.

I haven't experienced any side effects, e.g. itching, redness, irritation. This may be because I'm only using this once per day instead of the suggested 2x per day. Nor has the rest of my face gotten hairier.

The bottle I have is 2 oz, which is a 1 month's supply if you're using it on your head. But since I use such a tiny bit, I expect this will last a great deal longer. I'm very pleased with this and will continue to use it.

on 11/23/2015 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I'm using the 2% liquid generic minoxidil from Walgreens. My eyebrows were very thick before I hit menopause at 40. Specifically, my brows were thinning out on the inside corner of my eyes. It took about 6 weeks of applying it almost every day to see results. The sparse areas are completely filled in with healthy looking eyebrow hair. I've not experienced any dryness or pigmentation issues. A couple of years ago I tried Latisse on my brows and experienced the same results.

on 10/2/2015 3:01:00 AM

I wanted to follow up with this because I just reached the two month mark for using the women's 5% rogaine on my eyebrows. I was expecting it to take three months at least because the box says that several times but then one day I was getting dressed and I noticed tons of new growth. Let me back up and give you some back story... I'm 30 years old with one eyebrow that naturally arches (resting bitch face I'm told) and another that doesn't. This throws any person waxing my eyebrows way off their game and if they aren't a total pro, they mess them up. This was the case when I was 20 and the tech made my left brow entirely too short and gave me a bald spot. Neither ever grew back and I've been filling them in ever since (pretty much the only make up I wear). Ten years later, I accidentally read something about rogaine and eyebrows and try it out. The bald spot is completely gone. Like GONE. With thick hairs too, not the "downy hair" the rogaine box says you may grow. The length is back and I have so much re growth that I have to go have a professional reshape them. Everywhere I used to grow hair as a teen is growing back and it's amazing. I use it every night and sometimes in the morning too but rarely. You don't need to use it more than once and it won't speed up growth, but it works great to keep your hairs in place so I have used it for that. It doesn't dry me out and I haven't had any hyper pigmentation at all. I did however accidentally wait too late to use it, laid down while not completely dry and it got in my eye. It hurt more than words can describe. I don't recommend using this on lashes for that reason but people do, I just don't. I use the foam and I'm not terribly careful about only getting it on my eyebrow hairs because it has only grown hair where hair has grown before, at least for me. I use foam and a q tip in the direction of hair growth. That's it. Oh, and I don't fill in my eyebrows anymore. No need to and I'm so happy about it. If you miss a day, it won't stop your progress either so don't worry about that. Oh, and try to apply it when your body is cool, not after a hot shower, because the foam melts and runs down and could easily get in your eyes.
I hope my review helps people wondering if this product is for them.

There aren't a lot of reviews on Minoxidil for women using this on their hair, and I believe it would be useful to do a review for those who would like to know. I want to start off by saying that I do not suffer from hair loss. However, I do get plenty of hairs that fall out during and after a shower. My hair isn't the thickest, so I wanted to use this to make my hair overall stronger, as no salon product (regardless of price) has ever been able to achieve this for me. I purchased the 2% generic version from Walmart as this was my first attempt and zero reviews online made me nervous. I did find research on the Paula's Choice website showing substantiated evidence that it does work well for hair thinning/loss. It also said that women cannot use it, but Pantene came out with a 2% version for women, so my belief is that it may be a precautionary statement. They would literally be the exact same product. I use this product almost everyday (trying to spray directly on the roots) at about 3-4 pumps. I've noticed my hair doesn't break off as much and definitely feels thicker than normal. I also did not experience any side effects from using this either. Hopefully this helped someone feel better about using this for themselves!

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Sooooo I started using the Target brand of 5% Rogaine Extra Strength for men around Christmas time - about 8 weeks ago. I started out applying it twice a day and had to back off as the skin under my brows became EXTREMELY irritated, dry and hyper pigmented. And I mean, extremely. In retrospect, I was applying WAY too much. I took some days off from it and then started back up applying once a day. I'm now back to twice a day and doing fine. Still some dryness but nothing major at all. LIGHT pigmenting on the skin under my brows and on my brow bone. Again, I truly believe this is from applying too much and/or letting the product drip down on the skin. But no biggie at ALL. It's nothing that a bit of concealer in the arches won't fix. Not severe enough on the skin under my brows themselves to really care much as I'm still filling my brows in anyway. I experienced shedding as well but that ended quickly. I apply it to a completely clean, dry face. Obviously, I don't put moisturizer or anything else on my brows. And actually (off topic), I've read that you should avoid putting moisturizers on your brows because they can clog them up and prevent hair growth. But I distress...

YES! Yes yes yes, it WORKS! Like a charm. I have hair on my brows where I haven't had hair since I was a pre-teen. My brows are actually becoming THICK. It's SO exciting to see those "peach fuzz" hairs sprouting up from previously bald areas. And my brows were BEYOND sparse. The inners were mediocre at best and the ends were non-existent. I now have a fullness of hair in the inner corners - on the left eye, the ends are coming in noticeably. On the right eye, a bit slower because I sleep on that side of my face. I suspect the product is rubbing off. The only other thing I'm doing is brushing my brows to stimulate the growth. Not even everyday though - just when I remember. I bet if I brush them more I'll have even better results. People have noticed - I've gotten compliments on how nice they're looking.

Bottom line, it worked for me! I've been consistent and diligent and it's WORKING! And as bald as my brows were? And for the many YEARS that they were bald? This stuff will work for anyone lol! I'm going to try it until my brows look like Brook Shields' lol! Or as close as I can get... Hope you guys try it, and good luck!

on 5/30/2013 6:52:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

UPDATE3
Was extremely buss for some time, so stopped Minoxidil after being on it for about 3 years. Surprisingly, my brows remain full! :D It seems to have kick-started the hair folicles after years of plucking :) With makeup, but still:

ENDOFUPDATE3

UPDATE 2
I have began using a mix of 10% azelaic acid and 5% minoxidil, which I buy from... Ebay, and it gave me more new hairs over the course of about 4 months :D
END OF UPDATE 2

UPDATE:
I have now added a before and after picture. The left side (before) is NOT the brows I was born with - at that point I had already experimented with quite a few growth-products, as you can read about lower in the review, and the hairs were still spiderweb-thin. I would have added a picture with my brows before using anything, but I currently haven't been able to find one. If I find one, I will add it. BTW: it you're wondering why the start of my brow looked less sparse before than after Minoxidil... I honestly just forgot to apply the product there for a long long time. You probably don't want to do the same mistake - apply ALL over your brows. My eyebrow hairs are also shorter in the front in the after-picture... that's because I trimmed them :P

A person asked me how often I use Rogaine/Minoxidil/. I have always used it only once daily: or nightly, if you want, because it tends to misbehave with my makeup and because if I use it more often than once a day, the skin under my brows tend to flake a little. It is better to apply the product with a lipgloss applicator if your brows tend to flake. You might also want to moisturize the skin under them.
Another generic brand of Minoxidil is Equate.
END OF UPDATE.
I was born with quite little eyebrows. As my facial features are quite soft, the lack of eyebrows (and lashes, for that matter) made my face very... forgettable, as it had very little definition. I have been trying to grow my eyebrows and lashes for about 7 years now, and I'm pretty happy at this point, although I believe it can be even better. I want to mention one important thing though: if you discontinue using the products, your eyebrows might go back to their natural way of being, so if you want a permanent result that requires no upkeep, a hair transplant for the eyebrows might be better.
First thing I tried was castor oil. It didn't work at all for me (although many other people swear by it). Then L'Oreal Eyelash Growth Serum, which worked little. Then Talika's Lipocils, which didn't do anything. Then Rapid Lash, that worked a little bit, but was too expensive. Then Ardell Brow and Lash Growth Accelerator, which made my brow hairs stronger, but I didn't see any new growth. Then Careprost, which works wonderfully to get hair to grow where it didn't grow before, but is too expensive to use all over my brows. However, when the hairs have began growing, you don' need to continue to use Careprost - you can maintain them with something else :) Then Billion Dollar Brows, that worked a bit too, but I wanted something that worked faster.
The Exact product I'm using is "Kirkland Extra Strenght for Men Minoxidil Topical solution USP 5%". There are also other generic variants available. Minoxidil does work, but like with everything else: making hairs stronger is quite quick and easy - 1-3 months maybe. Growing new hairs that weren't there before takes a looong time - I would say about 4-6 months for me, and it's a very gradual, slow growth. It's important to know this so you don't stop using a product even though it doesn't give immediate growth - just be patient. If you have used a product for over 4-5 months, tops 6, I would say, and it doesn't work, you should probably try something else.
The way I use this is using a wand applicator (like in lip glosses) and dip it into the bottle of this. Then I rub it into my brows. The first 3 months or so I was just applying it on, but found it didn't work well and started massaging it in with the same wand (product BTW says to massage this into your scalp), which helped A LOT. Takes about 10 seconds to massage each brow.
The result: this helps, but growing brows where they genetically never weren't any takes very long time. This both keeps brows strong and makes them grow where there weren't any. Even though it takes time, this is a very economical and good product - I would recommend. I bought it from ebay, as they don't sell it anywhere I know of. It cost me around $11-12 with shipping, for 1 bottle, which will last over 1 year, maybe even 1,5. If you have more money and are less patient, buy Careprost and use that where you want new growth.
BTW: don't get this in your eyes - it will burn. So, when you apply and rub the product in, just in case, close the eye you're working on. Same when you wash your face in the morning: try not to drag the product downwards from your brows, because it WILL still be there in the morning and will still burn if you get it in your eye.

If you tint your brows, this might remove some of the colour.

When you use this, your eyebrow hairs will also grow longer - just be aware of that - you might need to begin trimming them. For that I use an eyebrow comb and a small, curved nail scissor. My eyebrows have always had a tendency to drop and look "sad". I added a drawing to show how I trim them. This tip is for THAT particular shape of eyebrow. It sometimes takes years for people with sad eyebrows to learn how to shape them because plucking just isn't enough - you end up at the first picture *sigh* If you do NOT have "sad" brows, you will likely have a much easier time trimming your eyebrows - you just need to make the hairs shorter. This is done by brushing the hairs downwards, trimming a little below the hair line (like in the drawing), then brushing the hairs upwards and trimming the hairs a little above your brow line. Please don't judge the picture too harshly.