3.7

package quality

price range

Reviews

5 months ago

Update 2020 This is a clear, smoothing eye primer that indeed helps eyeshadows blend evenly and look less patchy on the eye area. It doesn't exacerbate the texture on my eyelids either; which is nice because a lot of eye primers make the eye lid skin/brow bone look dry, crepey, and cakey. I had stopped using eye primer for a long time because of this texture magnifying property and just stuck to concealer. It also helps eyeshadow last longer on the eyelids..but its not the best I've tried at that task. The Urban Decay Eyeshadow primer is much better for that purpose, for example; that's one reason I wont repurchase the primer from the Balm. The packaging is cute, functional and hygienic. I also like the price and availability, since The Balm is on many Walgreens as of late. All and all, I like it and would wholeheartedly recommend for people with dry to normal skin, or people that have large eyes that are deep set or protruding, and so don't have a lot of skin rubbing against their lids. But if you have oily, hooded eyelids.. Id suggest the UD eyeshadow primer over this one. I will mention that the Balm`s eyeshadows have left me wanting in terms of pigmentation and smoothness with the mattes, but they perform and look A LOT better on top of this primer. Its remarkable how much this primer does for them. If you pick up a shadow Palette from The Balm I would HIGHLY suggest you pick this eye primer up with it, since it will improve your experience with their shadows.

About reviewer (350 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinAcne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

HairBlack, Wavy, Medium

2.0

a year ago

Unfortunately, my eyes didn’t tolerate it at all! Burned and watered, so I really don’t know how well it might have worked. Surprised to find that Urban Decay’s version (“Original”) did work, and without irritation.

About reviewer (142 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinCombination, Medium, Neutral

HairOther, Other, Other

EyesHazel

a year ago

Quite decent for oily eyelids, but have to wait at least 10 minutes for it to dry before applying eye shadow.

About reviewer (3 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinOily, Fair, Cool

HairBlond, Straight, Fine

EyesBlue

3 years ago

I could not find Wet n wild eye primer, so I took a chance on this. I think among top five ingredients are isododecane, cyclopentasilaxane and talc. Basically what is in other eye primers today. I have oily lids and this works. Doesn't seem to aggravate my milia (any more than anything else) and doesn't cause itching. The SA told me this was free of parabens. Whenever I hear this, I always suspect that to make it free of parabens, a whole lot of other things went in. It works best for me at least if you wait a minute for it to dry before applying shadow and apply very very sparingly. Another reviewer wrote that it works best dabbed on with your finger. I did read the reviews below re issues with blending eyeshadow. I am not great at blending eyeshadow (I often give up the brush and use a q tip more vigorously than perhaps I should). But, I've tried a lot of primers and I cannot necessarily single out this one as being egregiously harder on the blending issue. This removes with my Bliss lid and lash eye makeup remover gel so long as I let the gel sit on my eye area for a bit before wiping off. When I do full eye make up, sometimes I might run a q to over my lash lines to ensure everything is off. However, since Wet n Wild eye primer does it better and cheaper, I'd rather use that. I do smile when I see this tube and will use it up but not repurchase. I should add that I am not a fan of The Balm so perhaps I am prejudiced. The balm Ingredients: : isododecane, talc, disteardimonium hectorite, propylene carbonate, cyslopentasiloxane, polyethylene, triethylhexanoin, cyclohexasiloxane, VIP/hexadecene coplymer, trihydroxystearin, PTFE, go/eicosene coploymer, synthetic wax, phenoxyethanol, cyclotretrasiloxane, dimethiconol. Polymethysilsesquioxane, capryyyl glycol. Ethylhexlgycerin, hexylene glycol, mica glycerine, water, butylene glycol. Carbomer, polysorbate 20" palmitoyl oligopeptide, palmitoyl tetrapeptide-7, titanium dioxide, iron oxide. Wet n wild ingredients (various make up websites state that WnW formulas Take on the day; photofocus, a matter of prime; and, picture perfect have the same ingredients): Isododecane, Talc, Cyclopentasiloxane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Polyethylene, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Boron Nitride, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Propylene Carbonate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Synthetic Beeswax, Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Methicone, Phenoxyethanol, Acrylates Copolymer, Magnesium Carbonate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Bisabolol, Sorbic Acid, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Crithmum Maritimum Extract, Dimethiconol, Nelumbo Nucifera Stamen Extract, Bismuth Oxychloride/CI 77163, Iron Oxides/CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, Titanium Dioxide/CI 77891 Urban decay: Isododecane,Cyclopentasiloxane,Trimethylsiloxysilicate,Disteardimonium Hectorite,Polyethylene,Triethylhexanoin,Trihydroxystearin,Isopropyl Lanolate,Sorbitan Sesquioleate,VP/Eicosene Copolymer,Talc, Dimethicone,PEG-40 Stearate,Phenoxyethanol,Synthetic Beeswax,Propylene Carbonate. Inglot eye shadow keeper (Inglot makes duraline) has the same top three ingredients as WnW.

About reviewer (517 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinCombination, Olive, Warm

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

3 years ago

It's an OK product to me. It did intensified the color of shadows, made them last a bit longer on my oily hooded eyes BUT it made blending almost impossible. The texture is too sticky for a good blend imo so for this reason it's a pass. Sold mine on web, hope they like it better than me.

About reviewer (143 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Straight, Fine

EyesGray

3 years ago

I have oily, hooded and watery sensitive eyes. Feel the drama? I won a sample of this primer from a Brazilian store (BelezaNaWeb) when I bought one of their palettes. As with the Smashbox 24h, it performed wonderfully.... except in my fold, where water from my eyes gets to. In this case, eyeshadow creased, became muddy and disappeared in 20-30 min tops. To remove it from everywhere else, i had to use waterproof makeup remover. Again, sad it didn't work for me because it is pretty good. Contrary to Smashbox 24h, this primer increased the color payoff of most of my eyeshadows, including the mattes ones. Some of them do not appear in my skin (MAC Cork is my exact skin color). It is less stick than smashbox. If you don't have my watery eye problem I advise to give it a try.

About reviewer (36 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinOily, Olive, Neutral

HairBlack, Curly, Fine

2.0

3 years ago

This product did nothing to my eyeshadow, nor did it prolong its lasting power or make the colors pop more. The formula is greasy, and made me eyelids feel oiler than they really are. Awful. Will never purchase this again. Gave this a 2 rating only because of its creative packaging.

About reviewer (22 reviews)

AgeUnder 18

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium

HairBlack

EyesBlack

4 years ago

Normally I love the balm, but this just didn't do it for me. it's oily and dries a bit strange on me. it settles into fine lines and I find concealer works better than this. such a shame I was so excited for this.

About reviewer (9 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinCombination, Olive, Neutral

HairBrunette, Straight, Coarse

4 years ago

I've got very oily eyelids and this primer did nothing for me. I'm so disappointed because I've heard so many good things about it. It might've made my eyeshadow a bit more pigmented but I could barely tell, and after not even 5 minutes I was a creasy mess.. The packaging is really cute tho! Maybe more suitable for someone with dryer eyelids, but I'm not going to repurchase this primer.

About reviewer (1 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinVery Dry, Fair, Cool

HairBlond, Curly, Other

EyesBlue

4 years ago

Ok, so dispite hearing many different views about this product I think that there are many other I primers on the market that are cheaper or the same price that are better than this. Firstly I put this on when I put my primer on my face and by the time I had got to my eyes which was only 10 minutes later the eye primer had crusted over and left massive marks on my eyes. Secondly, when i put it on it hurts my eyes and makes the tingle. It gets stuck on my last line and clumps together and I also think the formula is to greasy and watery. For me it didn't keep my eyeshadow on any longer than it would without primer so this is a defiant no for me.

About reviewer (2 reviews)

AgeUnder 18