LUSH Roots Healthy Scalp

3.8

on 2/23/2018 1:04:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Hair type:Oily (daily washer nearly)
So I picked this product on of my travels to NY as I am currently based in 'no-lush' country. I was going through a phase of bad hairfall and I had heard good things so I decided to give this a go. So to begin, I love the tingle and all that and the after effects but I noticed that I was losing a lot of hair in the shower (like an appalling amount) when I would wash it out and I was starting to feel there is something wrong. I was not sensitive to anything in the ingredients and I have a science background so I wanted to get to the 'root' of this ;). So I stopped using it and I did my own research and started biotin supplements specially targeted for telogen effluvium and my hairfall reduced kinda in nearly just a week and it was in control. So I decided to use it again after the hairfall reduced and it worked, I didn't have significant hairfall, it tingles, it calms, gives a shine,volumises and I like it. So what exactly happened is that the mint actually removes the hair that are in a certain stage and coz you are in that period of excessive hair being stuck in that "dead" stage,it causes all of them to shed,it is kinda helping but it is psychologically distressing to see so much hair shedding. So my take with this is that DO NOT BUY THIS IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING MAJOR HAIR FALL, control it first using dietary supplements and use it for regrowth,it works better and I think it's meant for that. I would not still call it a holy grail but it's promising (might become 1) and I have used a lot of pre-shampoo masks and it does stand out for me (as I don't think hair oiling suits me at all).
To summarise-
-I feel it's for regrowth, it's not going to control your hairfall in a very pleasant way
-I use it for about 20 mins-1hour, I wrap a hot towel, can't massage for that long :/
-I mix it with some aloe vera and I get a more friendly consistency and more uses. Have heard people mix it with oil may be one can try that
-I use it once a week.
-For me it gives a residue sometimes, so I do an acv rinse, I don't feel the need for a conditioner after using it, leaves hair silken.
-I don't prefer to use it in winter as the cooling sensation is uncomfortable as much as I love it in warmer months.
-Might not be for someone with a very sensitive scalp, again coz of very potent mint (nearly makes me drowsy if I am sitting with a book with this on ;D)
-Worth a try if you support lush,I personally do coz I love the whole stress on 'no packaging' and concern for the environment.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

This product works! And very quickly, I might add. I see and feel the effects after one use, which is incredible. When you apply it, there's a minty sensation that doesn't last for very long (around 10-15 minutes tops?) and then slowly dries down almost like a gel hair product would. I usually leave it on for longer than what they say, which is as long as I have the time for basically. It's easy to wash out and doesn't leave any residue or thick feeling on your scalp.

One tub can last me for about 2-3 heavy uses, or around 5-7 light ones, and it's usually another 6 months or so before my hair starts to fall out more aggressively again and I go back to Lush to pick up another tub. That's just me being lazy haha, I imagine you'd get longer lasting and better results with frequent use. I've bought this around 5 times now? And I've also introduced this to my mum, and she loves it too.

It's also perfect for me because I shower at night, and so many of these hair loss treatments are to leave overnight and wash out in the morning and I don't want to have to change my routine and this is perfect for it.

Firstly, please remember - that for hair growth to occur, you need to shed excess hairs first (read up about the growing cycle of your hair). I have read so many reviews on here that say that some people have experienced hair loss - due to the peppermint content and it’s ability to open up the follicles on your head (hence, the tingling feeling), it assists with helping your hair SHED THE DEAD HAIRS FASTER THAN IT NORMALLY WOULD - Just wrote that in caps lock so as to make the quote eye-catching :) I have really long hair and I find that this DOES work terms of promoting hair growth. You have to use this for a while - I found that over a timeframe of about 3-6months, I started to notice a difference. Hair is smooth also, but more results from actual hair growth, really. Would buy again and already have! The one Con. would be it’s consistency - if it was a little smoother it would just make it easier to spread. But I still love it :)

on 5/11/2017 12:43:00 PM

I am on my 6th tub of this stuff. I LOVE it. It tingles slightly because of the mint but not too bad that it hurts; in fact it feels cooling and soothing. The honey brings out my highlights, especially if I sit with it in my hair in the sun. (Just beware--bees tend to be curious because of the honey!) Nothing else makes my hair feel so soft and conditioned with natural volume. Best of all, it has noticeably made my hair grow faster and healthier. The only downside is the price for the amount you get (I use it liberally so I only get 5-6 uses per tub.) But if you have the money, it's totally worth it!!!

I'm one of those high maintenance people that uses "no poo" on their hair, I've been doing so for about a year and a half . After months of fluctuating between too oily and too dry, this is the only thing I feel comfortable enough to use to normalize my scalp. I use it once a week as a shampoo and leave it in for about 30 mins - 1 hour (the directions say about 20 minutes) and my hair and scalp LOVE IT. It washes out so easily without any additional product and doesn't leave a slick residue. I'm totally flake free and as long as I don't sweat or exercise too rigorously I don't need to wash my hair again for another three days. I definitely wash with other things between uses, but I find that once a week is enough to keep me happy :)

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

I have thick & dry hair, so using Roots helped revive it. I just have issues with its consistency though -- trying to get it all over my scalp is a pain and a half.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

After 4 years of a very short pixie crop (we are talking Jean Seberg in 'Au bout du shuffle' short, not what people on Instagram call the longest ever my hair's been...) I decided to grow it out again and I'm aiming at a long bob in about 2 years time.

I bought LUSH's Roots scalp conditioner to stimulate the follicles so that my hair grows faster and falls out less in autumn/winter. It is just a fraction of my routine so it is quite difficult to say how much it would achieve when used on its own.

My hair is thin, weavy and gets oily quickly but it never been coloured and I do not use any heat styling tools on it atm (it is still too short!) apart from a lukewarm air of a hairdryer.

The screw top black pot is quite generous for £12 I paid for it and should last well for 6 months (some other hair conditioners from the brand need to be used up quickly).

I use it on dry hair as instructed, close to the roots, about 30-45 mins before I have to wash my hair (which I do every morning). I part my hair with a wooden TBS comb and massage small amount of roots in, section by section. If people are complaining that this is difficult to do..well you don't really have thin hair then if you cannot reach your scalp through the amount of hair you've got ;) I certainly have no problem with it (unfortunately). I only apply the treatment at the roots, for the rest of my hair I'm using a different mask, one that caters to prevent split, damaged ends. When all my scalp is coated, I massage my head for about 2 minutes - more like move the skin under my fingers around rather than tangling the hair, then I pop a plastic cap on and wrap my head in a warmed up, dry towel.

After about 5 minutes my head starts to tingle (at first I thought the mask must be old and mint in it expired or something as there was no minty tingly sensation at all, but I was wrong as I was only able to last over 30 minutes with it on my scalp as it was tingling so much after an initial quiet time!) and I keep the mask on for as long as I can bear it.

Then I'm washing my hair and conditioning as normal. it has quite a lot of SLS in it so lathers well pretty much on its own. Yes, there was some hair heading down the plughole but not more than usual. Maybe the right way of massaging helps to keep more hair on.

My hair after use is definitely more fluffy and soft and not plastered to the top of my head which it sometimes does. It needs quite a bit of styling product to keep its shape though. However it gets static very quickly and I did not see much result with the stimulation of the scalp in the long run. Having it cooling my head in the Scottish winter is frankly a bit unpleasant, so I do not use it more than once a week either. Personally I think that a head massage on it s own, works better for stimulation the blood flow to the scalp, Roots on or not.

Very interesting concept but quite tricky to work out if it is actually beneficial so I will not be repurchasing. When I finish this jar I'll try a freshly squeezed ginger juice regime, which is exactly the same concept (= tingly stimulation of the scalp that promotes the faster hair growth).

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

The scent and texture seems much like toothpaste to me and it can be a pain to spread through hair. I sectioned my hair, smeared it on, combed through and put on a plastic cap. First thing, it obviously has a very cooling effect. I put a warm towel on and had a weird burning sensation. After a couple hours my scalp was pretty numb, I left it on half the day.
While rinsing my hair felt amazingly soft. I washed with New! and conditioned with Sugar Daddy-o. My hair was gorgeous with lots of lift and volume, soft, and I realised I desperately need a trim because my ends are icky and a bit frizzy.
This is a treatment for volume, for thin hair, to stimulate the scalp and was recommended to me because I'm growing out a pixie. I definitely think it works. I tend to have a hot damp scalp with dermatitis and this treatment will be a staple during summer to cool me down. My side swept bangs and part have been limp lately and since Roots I've had gloriously thick, wavy, volumous hair that doesn't go flat halfway through the day.

Pros: menthol chill, does what it says.
Cons: menthol chill, thick sticky texture.

on 7/20/2016 3:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I have the 'thine' hair this mask is recommended for, but l just can't get on with it at all. It has the consistency of warm lard, and smells of peppermint and nettle. Yuck. As for getting it on my scalp, the consistency is so thick that, despite my best massaging, l can't get it near much of my scalp to have any effect or tingle. When l rinse out after half an hour, l get lots of hair loss. It does leave hair soft and slightly volumised, but still tangle-prone. The worst mask l've tried.

I never pay much attention when in lush and resultantly end up using things the 'wrong' way.

That said, roots has been my happiest accident so far. It's supposed to be used as an in out hair mask. I find it's actually a bloody fantastic styling product in disguise.

Put it through your hair pre-blow dry, or as you blow dry, just smush it right on through there, a good old dollop right at the roots.

My hair is fine and shoulder length and it gives it incredible volume and texture - it does look a bit dull but I don't mind that, the opposite of greasy. Works so much better than stuff that's intended as styling cream.

For curls rub a tiny bit between your palms, scrunch and go.

Popular Hair Treatments