Cocoa Powder + Cornstarch as Face Powder

4.6

100% cocoa powder. No additives.

I always prefer to use powder over liquid foundation. Cos powder wouldn't clogged pores right?

Big fat wrong!

I've used corn starch and this is really good at controlling oil. I thought I found my hg. Ithe made my oily dehydrated skin worse. I'm now suffering tiny bumps all over my face :(

I might use it only on my nose.

on 9/23/2015 8:52:00 PM

I have combination skin and my nose just looks so oily. I wear glasses and they slide off my nose. I love how the cornstarch just makes me matte and controls the oil in a way. I also use this under my eye for the baking method which I'm pretty sure everyone has heard of by now and I feel like it does a good job and it's amazing. Aaand I use the cornstarch for my lips.. I know, CRAZY! I like to put on a lipstick and add a good amount of cornstarch with a little brush and it makes my lips matte and it also makes them last longer unless you get them wet (like licking them.. by the way, don't try that) it still stays put though. I hope this review helped :)

To Read all 16 Reviews, Login or Join

on 8/27/2014 9:31:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I have the oiliest skin you could every imagine. I even got a prescribed topical cream and pill to control the oil and acne outbreaks. None of it works, for the oiliness that it. But a light dusting of cornstarch does the trick, keeps me matte for almost the whole day. At the moment my car doesn't have air conditioning, so I'm lucky it's cool enough in the morning so I'm not sweating half my makeup off before classes. If you need a quick oily skin fix on a budget, buy this. One problem is that it can look cakey, but to fix that(sounds crazy!), but add a mattifying powder over the top, light coating.

on 8/4/2014 10:25:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Common cornstarch is a great oil-absorber - but you must be careful if you have enlarged pores as it can settle into them and clog you worse than before you started. Also good as a powder for body.

Inexpensive and easy to add to other ingredients.

I've read people using cocoa and cornstarch for loose powder online and was wondering if it would deepen my mineral powder foundation for summer so I wouldn't need to buy a shade or two deeper. It worked very well. After doing a test batch on a small amount and knew it would work, I added cocoa, little by little and ground up well, to my existing mineral foundation and got a perfect match. I'm amazed how well it worked. When skin gets lighter over winter, I'll use for contouring.
People are using ground nutmeg and other ground spices for bronzer and blushes, etc...that I might experiment with later. But for now, this worked well and saved me money. Most finishing powders have corn starch as their leading ingredient anyway. The cocoa does make it a little more matte, just so you are aware. I go back and forth with minerals and bb cream, depends on my mood and activity for the day. Remember to use 100% cocoa powder.

This stuff is amazing. Not only keep my oilies at bay (when used as a setting powder) it also works just as great as dry shampoo. My hair is black but it doesn't leave any white residue. And I also use this on top of any lipstick when I feel like wearing matte lipstick and this doesn't dry out my lips. All in all, a perfect product (and is cheap as dirt) will repurchase over and over.

on 4/23/2014 12:13:00 PM

Great stuff! I just starting using this mixed w/ a tiny bit of my mineral makeup & bronzer & it works great! No more oilies at the end of the day! Thanks everyone for recommending this!

on 4/14/2014 5:53:00 PM

I'm going to try & keep this to-the-point.

1. I have combination skin. Cornstarch is the ONE & ONLY powder I've ever (lightly) applied to my face & had last throughout the day. Unintentionally, I suppose I use it as a setting powder. I use moisturizer, BB cream, concealer if desired, and then dust with cornstarch once my makeup has 'absorbed' a bit. I once received a compliment that I had the skin of a porcelain doll - something I never imagined that I'd ever hear.
>>> I use as light a dusting as possible to achieve a matte finish. This does not affect the warm yellow undertones of my skin.
>>> I have not experienced any break outs, but I do not wear makeup frequently & almost always wash it off my face after. Feel guilty if I don't.

2. I have absurdly oily hair. After years of trial & error, I have determined that any mass produced shampoo from the store exacerbates the issue. Baking soda + apple cider vinegar worked for a few months but eventually made my scalp feel uncomfortable. Now, I use a basic tea tree oil soap bar from head to toe - which has given me my desired results. ANYWAYS..... throughout the last few years of trial & error, cornstarch was a best friend to my hair. Absorbed enough oil from my scalp to make me presentable in public for a day. Adds lovely texture too!

Cornstarch has absolutely earned its place amongst my makeup products.
>>> I keep mine in an empty Olay moisturizer jar.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

eventhought i am scoring this positively, for me this did not work. i am allergic to talc pure and simple....i was going the natural route and happen to have cornstarck in the cabinet. this stuff made my face react as if i was wearing talcum power. it made me: itch (really bad....which my my nose and sinus flare up) due to itching my skin went all pink. suffice to say i am allergic. i am not down grading this since there is a percentile of ppl who arent and if you are in this group, then lucky you! it sets well and it is super cheap. it you are allergic like me get rice flour or tapioca flour (aka arrowroot powder) i get mine at a korean store for $1.00 a pound! plus no side effect and you can use the rice flour to make a nice rice flour mask with witchhazel or mint tea!

on 3/23/2014 12:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I had noticed that corn starch (commonly referred to as corn flour in my part of the world) is an ingredient contained in many setting powders. I have oily skin for the most part, so powdering is an essential step in my make-up routine.

I decided to use some corn flour from the pantry as a setting powder after liquid foundation. I have used regular baby powder before, and was quite satisfied with the results.

It must be said that I am a woman of colour (NC37-40). I was initially apprehensive because I was expecting the corn flour to leave the dreaded white cast on my face. To my surprise, it didn't at all. I applied the corn flour sparingly using a large, fluffy powder brush. It imparted a sort of glow to my face, and somehow blurred my pores and minor imperfections.

What I really love about corn flour, however, is that even if I happen to apply too much, it doesn't leave my face looking cakey. With commercial setting powders (tinted and translucent), I could easily become over zealous with my application, and end up with an awfully dry-looking, cakey face - at the height of an African summer. As for its oil-absorbing properties, it gets an A+. I'm able to carry on with my daily tasks without worrying about my make-up melting off. I very rarely feel the need to touch up. Once my natural oils break through, I am left with a pretty, almost dewy finish instead of an oil spillage.

Just a caveat. This stuff can be terribly messy. It flies everywhere if you aren't careful. When I'm out, I prefer to carry a compact powder for obvious reasons. I'm still on the hunt for a reasonably priced translucent compact powder that absorbs oil on contact with the skin.

Most importantly, it doesn't break me out or clog my pores. I'm very prone to clogging, so this is a winner for me. It's super inexpensive from my local Indian grocery store. I purchase the 1kg packet for 20 ZAR (approximately $2). This is sure to last me a good while.

If you are concerned that corn flour will give you a white cast, I'm sure one could add a bit of tinted face powder to the corn flour to match one's skin tone. Store it an empty loose powder container and powder away!