LORAC PRO Palette

LORAC PRO Palette
Lorac Pro PaletteUDD and Lorac PalettePRO PalettePRO PalettePRO Palette

4.7

on 6/24/2016 6:11:00 PM

This is a must-have. I got this as a Christmas present a few years ago never even heard of the palette and decided to give this a go. I did some research on some looks I could do on YouTube/Pinterest and surprisingly found so many! The first time I used this I instantly fell in love. I've hit pan on the color Taupe and that was my HG transition shade for like ever! And I've hit pan on the color Sable. Taupe and Sable were the best transition/crease shades that I've used for hundreds of looks! I've also noticed that this palette was used by one of my favorite makeup gurus on YouTube, Jaclyn Hill, for one of her most viewed videos called the "bombshell" look and it was absolutely stunning!!

Pros:
-LOVE the fact that it had half matte and half shimmers
-neutral colors!
-highly pigmented
-love how buttery all the shades were
-hands down the best brand for matte shadows
-great variety
-the Nude shade leaves such a stunning color underneath the brows!!😩 Fantastic highlight (HG)

CONS:
-the packaging can get messy. I've had this palette for almost 3-4 years and it got dirty and you can tell it was very well loved hahaha
-it's kind of expensive but worth every penny
-the dark purple color doesn't appear purple when swatched and on the eyes, it's just a super dark color
-the black color isn't the truest black color.it appears almost very dark gray. My naked 2 palette's Blackout shade is by far the best/truest black color!

on 2/15/2016 12:41:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Bought this for prom but use it daily. All the colors are beautiful and smooth. It doesn't feel like too much for school as long as I stick to the left side of the palette. I just wish there was a skin tone shimmery shade for my tan-ish skin. Also, champagne has glitter that tends to travel.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I bought myself this palette for my 16th birthday last year and ever since then, I've used it almost every day!! I think this palette has everything you need including matte and shimmery highlight shades, to beautiful lid colors and transition shades, deeper matte colors to intensify any look and it also includes a few fun colors to play with :) My favorite shades in here would probably be cream, light bronze, nude and mauve. Even though it is $42, I think you get your money's worth. I got my palette at Kohl's and they usually have sales going on so if you have coupons or gift cards, you would pay a lot less! Overall this has become one of my favorite palettes and I just think it is a great versatile palette that would flatter everyone.

Overall this is probably my favorite pallete I own,which is saying a lot considering how many I have in my collection haha. I use this pallete consistently everyday, for my its the perfect warm pallete, the shades are pigmented and buttery for the exception a few of the dark mattes can be a bit patchy but it's a easy fix with blending. Really love this pallete!

on 11/20/2015 11:12:00 PM

SUMMARY/VERDICT:
I bought the Lorac Pro palette, my second mid-brand palette, because I thought I needed a true neutrals palette. And Pro does exactly that. The problem is that it does very little else.

Suffice it to say that the Lorac Pro palette is just very uninspiring. With some palettes, you look at the eyeshadows and immediately pull together a very nice look. Maybe it's my skin (fair-medium Asian neutral golden), but the Pro palette just didn't let me put together looks without help from other palettes. The quality is certainly there; it just wasn't very special. It's like going to a fancy restaurant with no extraordinary dishes. You shelled out a ton of money, sure the food's good, but you're kind of regretting that you didn't try that Japanese/Moroccan/Afghan restaurant down the street.

Buy it if...
You don't have any other neutral palettes.
You're an absolute noob in makeup
You love to work with browns and warm colors
You like to vary things up every day by using slightly different shadows
You have pale or fair skin
You want a safe gift for somebody who's into makeup

Don't buy it if...
You already have even just one or two other neutral palettes
You like pops of colors or non-brown shades
You don't like warm colored makeup
You tend to prefer to use a select few shades at one time
You have dark skin
You're looking for something that'll blow your mind

PALETTE QUALITY
First of all, the shadows are across the board very nice to work with. The top 8 eyeshadows are all mattes and the bottom shades are all shimmers. Both of them, on the whole, are smooth and easy to work with -- with the exception of the one glitter shade Champagne, which has some unappetizing fallout. The shadows do tend to be a little powdery, but it's nothing that will really affect you much, unless you're accustomed to stabbing your brush into the pan.

If you're looking for Stila Kitten style shimmers -- i.e. bold, glamorous, and ultra-shimmery -- you're not going to get it here. These shimmers tend to be on the softer side, which for some people might work well, but I personally rely on a good bold shimmer to get that inner corner sparklin'. However, if you like softer, more subtle shimmers, these are the ones for you.

The mattes are fairly smooth and pigmented, except for (ironically) Black, which is actually kind of lame -- workable, but still lame. These are workhorse mattes, and if you had money to burn, I could see why you'd be attracted to the mattes.

COLOR SELECTION:
Here is where I think the Pro palette fails the hardest. Many shades are near dupes of each other (White/Cream/Light Pink, Nude/Champagne, Black/Grey/Dark Purple). You're paying for 16 different shades, but in practicality, you're really getting just 11. I would have much preferred it if they had made the colors less similar -- for example, make the dark purple less purple, exchange the champagne for a silver, etc.

This very warm-leaning palette is filled with creams, true browns, a couple of pinkish-browns, and one or two greys and reds. I would say that 6 are light colors, 6 are medium colors, and 4 are dark colors -- so definitely angled towards a very "daily look" aesthetic. In fact, it's so "daily look" that it's reached the point where the color selection is the stereotype of a "daily look" palette. And that's the Achilles heel of the palette. You can play with the colors all you like, but in the end, you're only really going to get two looks -- either a very brown smokey eye or neutral "daily" looks of slight variation.

I also have qualms as to whether people of color would be able to benefit much from this palette. I'm fair-medium, angling more on the fair, and even with a primer and base, the shadows don't really show up much on me; nor is there really much variation even in the colored shades (e.g. Pewter and Garnet aren't THAT different). On pale skin I'm sure it would be more noticeable. I doubt medium-dark skin would benefit much -- but don't take it from me.

COST/CASE/PRESENTATION:
When you buy the Pro palette, it comes in a sleek looking cardboard box with a small Lorac primer sample. It's elegant enough and certainly not cheap looking. The palette is slim, sleek, and well designed. You're definitely getting your money's worth, aesthetically.

The case itself is rubberized cardboard. Many people rant about it because it does attract dust, fingerprints, and eyeshadow residue, but that's never really been a big thing for me. There is a nice large mirror inside the case, above the eyeshadows.

Now I do have issues with the size of the pans, which are penny-sized. It's kind of like paying $42 dollars for a sample of 16 small appetizers. To eat all of them would take you a while, sure. But you're naturally going to prefer some appetizers (like Nude, Light Bronze, or Taupe), and you're probably not going to eat much of some others (like Black, Slate, White, and Deep Purple). A sampler is great for a beginner in makeup or someone with very few makeup palettes. But if you already know what you want or what looks good with you, why bother?

CONCLUSION:
If you're willing to spend $42 for a sampler of neutral shadows, then go for it. If you're a beginner at makeup, this is certainly a good mid-range starter. And the colors will work even better with fair/pale skin.

But otherwise -- not to diss the quality of the shadows -- you're probably better off spending your money on a palette with fewer colors, but more shades that you'll use, and more variety of looks.

This and the second one are my two favorite eye shadow palettes!!!! I like them ever more than the....Urban Decay palettes...😁. They just have so much versatility and looks within them it makes me use them every day!

on 10/13/2015 5:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

PROS:
extremely pigments
easy to blend

CONS:
an extreme amount of fall out
= very messy
i don't like the design of the palette as it gets your fingerprints all over it
boring colors - good for people who are new to makeup
don't really use it often as my other palettes are way better
doesn't complement my hazel eyes
don't like the palette in general.

on 10/4/2015 6:52:00 PM

First of all, I'm Canadian, so Lorac products are extremely difficult for me to get. Putting that aside, I saw the reviews on this palette, so I knew I had to get it one way or another.

The shadows are so soft, and I love the idea of a row of matte and a row of shimmer. Everything shows up so well, even the lighter mattes. I always use eyeshadow primer, because it helps with the application and longevity of products. These shadows last all day and don't get muddy. There is quite a bit of fallout, so I took off a lippie for that. Otherwise, this is an amazing palette for a great price. My only wish is that the palette could clip close instead of having a magnetic clasp. I'm always worried it'd slip open or something.

Definitely get the palette if you can afford it!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I purchased this for $42.00 USD from Amazon. This is a solid selection of matte and shimmer. The texture of the shadows is very good. The powder feels almost creamy and each shad has pigmentation. Unfortunately, it tends to kick up a lot of dust within each pan so the packaging tends to get dirty very quickly.

A good neutral palette. It is versatile and I would definitely recommend it to someone looking for the basics. If you have many palettes, it is quite dupable.

White - A matte (?) cool toned white. I found this actually had a small amount of microshimmer when examined under a bright light. I prefer matte, slightly darker, more yellow toned shades for the brow bone and actual shimmer for inner eye highlight so this shade is a tad useless for me. I'll probably use this as an all over shade to help blending after I finish cream.

Cream - A matte pale beige. Used as a base lid colour after eye primer to assist with blending. This is lighter and pinker than my natural skin colour.

Taupe - A matte, warm toned medium brown. Works as a good crease or transition colour for my skintone. Reminds me of Urban Decay Buck but it tends to run warmer.

Lt. Pink - A matte (?) pale pink. I thought this shade also contained a mauveish microshimmer under bright lights though it is not otherwise noticeable. Also nice as an overall lid shade.

Mauve - A matte, cool toned muted plum. Useful as a cool toned crease/transition colour. It pairs well with Lt. Pink and Garnet.

Sable - A matte, medium dark reddish brown. Nice if you want to darken the outer-v on a more neutral day or as a crease colour on a more dramatic eye-look.

Espresso - A matte, dark blackish brown. Nice to subtly line upper and lower lashlines. Useful for darkening the outer-v for more intense looks.

Black - A matte black. I typically use this to set liquid or gel eyeliners or to smoke out the lashline.

Nude - A shimmery, warm champagne beige. Similar to Urban Decay Virgin but less pink toned. I use this for the inner corner as well as sometimes as a face highlight. Also nice in halo eyes.

Champagne - A shimmery, cool toned silvery champagne. I don't really like this shade. It is the shade most prone to fall out in the palette and after every use I find silver sparkles under my eye.

Gold - A shimmery warm toned medium gold. It leans slight orange though it is mostly neutral. Looks amazing with Garnet.

Lt. Bronze - A shimmery, light-medium beige. A subtle easy one shadow look for days you're rushed for time.

Pewter - A shimmery, cool toned brown with strong purple undertones. When you blend this out the purple comes through much more. Also nice for a darker one shadow look.

Garnet - A shimmery muted copper that leans brown. A standout shade in the palette.

Deep Purple - A shimmery dark purple with a blackened base. Not my favourite shade. The purple doesn't really show up and when blended leaves mostly the black base.

Slate - A shimmery gunmetal with cool blue undertones. This is a decent shade though not one I typically gravitate towards.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This palette is truly amazing. Everything from the packaging to the colors to the price is just phenomenal. The colors in the palette can go a long way, and the texture is very velvety and smooth- it's almost like a cream! I love the fact that the palette itself is super thin and black, it looks incredibly professional- hence the name. I would recommend this to anyone, the colors are very easy to blend and are long wearing. In my opinion, Lorac shadows are better than Urban Decays! Highly recommend, you can't go wrong!