Bobbi Brown Bobbi Brown Tortoise Shell Eyeshadow Palette - Sand

Bobbi Brown Bobbi Brown Tortoise Shell Eyeshadow Palette - Sand

4.5

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is such a handly little compact which provides such great versatility. This is my first encounter with the powder based eye shadows by Bobbi Brown and I am impressed with how easy they are to work with. This palette is great for creating different looks - I would say though with my colouring that it is more for daytime wear than if you want evening drama.

on 8/17/2011 4:40:00 PM

I bought both of the tortoise shell palettes and like them both but I like this one more than the other one. I am a Bobbi fan so anything she makes I will try. This palette is very good for versatile, easy looks and I have used it a lot so far. The colors are blendable and neutral. but range in intensity from pale to dark so you can create the look you want. I think it is a good buy.

on 8/15/2011 2:46:00 PM

This is a great eyeshadow palette for someone who wants a classic understated look. All eight colors are very wearable and flattering and can be combined in various ways for a natural daytime look, a more polished daytime look or a sophisticated evening look. Love it!

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought this last week and I love it! I am forever in search of a palette that has a variety of neutrals which actually show up on the skin. The top four colors compose a perfect day time neutral eye. I sometimes use the dark shadow/ liner in the bottom quad during the day as well. Good staying power! The other 3 in the bottom give you a little more oomph to do a more colorful neutral eye for day or evening. Very flattering on my medium fair skin and when I go back to fair in the late fall/winter, they will continue to look good. $60 some isn't cheap but as any MUA gal knows 8 shadows you'll actually use from a quality brand like Bobbi is a find. Also, I like the double decker packaging... Easier to fit in the makeup bag and the tortoise shell compact is easy to find amongst a sea of shiny black compacts.

I'm going against the grain and saying that Bobbi Brown's "tortoise shell" palette looks much better in the pan than it does when applied. The shadows are very lightly pigmented. I have some neutral colours in MAC singles that have more pigment (Wedge, Shroom), and I also think the MAC "royal 6 warm eyes" palette produced a similar neutral/warm look but the eyeshadows were better quality. The shimmer shadows in the Bobbi Brown palette are actually more glittery and chalky than the shimmer shadows in the "royal 6" palette -- I'm saying this despite the fact that I thought "retrospeck" was too glittery. However... the packaging of the "tortoise shell" palette is very beautiful and elegant. I like the fact that the model in the advertisement wears glasses (just like me) and the dark liner colour, although it smudges in damp weather, is very wearable too. This is a easy, wearable eyeshadow palette for people who are completely new to neutral eye looks and maybe new to mid-high end eyeshadows.

Edit: actually, I regret having given away my MAC "royal 6 warm eyes" palette. I gave it away because I was really fussy about not being able to use one colour (ONE!). In total the shadows in that palette and also the compact was better quality and less bulky than the Bobbi Brown "tortoise shell" palette... even though the Bobbi Brown compact is prettier (to me).

on 7/23/2011 6:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Basically, I can't say anything different than the previous 2 reviewers wrote. :)
This is a great neutral-ish palette, and it doesn't make you look like you are wearing too much make-up, just like the previous reviewer said. I love Bobbi Brown eyeshadows because I think they are wonderfully pigmented and most of them blend beautifully! This palette is no different. The only eyeshadow that is lacking in pigment is Ivory; but I use it as my brow highlight, and to blend out any unevenness I might have after blending from lid color to crease up to brow. I like to use the matte shades for my crease and outer corners, and the metallic and shimmer wash shades on the lid. I love the Black Chocolate shade for eyelining... I think BB makes the BEST eyeshadows (dark shades) for lining the eyes! Whether you use them wet or dry, they make a line that will stay there all day, and sometimes even into the next day! Sometimes, I prefer using her dark powder shadows for lining over her gel liners, because the line is not as harsh and I feel like I can't really make a mistake. What I like most about this palette is that it doesn't include a majority of BB's regular line of eyeshadows, it includes a 50/50 split of her regulars plus 4 new shades. I know I shouldn't do this, but I'm tempted to buy the Bronze collection of this palette, too. =P