John Frieda Precision Foam Color

John Frieda Precision Foam Color

3.3

on 5/21/2017 1:31:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I upped this from 1 to 3 since I'm obviously a glutton for punishment & I tried it again since it was basically free on clearance on shade 3vr which was deep cherry something. It was nice! It foamed really well, and the color was gorgeous multidimensional deep. Yes I still made a mess and it and the conditioner still stink. Idk I had a much better experience with this shade. Maybe inconsistent from shade to shade? That's all folks

I usually like everything. That being said, this product did not work for me at all. I'm very experienced with color, professional and boxed, bleach, semi, Demi, permanent you name it. I guess this is supposed to infiltrate each individual strand for thick hair? And be easy, mess free? Well shade 5a did not foam. I mean yes it squeezed out as foam but instantly turned to shiny ammonia reeking shoe polish in my hair. It stained my skin and splashed about in my bathroom. This has never happened to me in 20 years. I rinsed it after 20 minutes and it was stark ash black. And very dull. So I vitamin c'd it out and it was like a greenish heinous striped color. I put arctic fox orange over it and just settled on being a redhead... kinda what I was trying to avoid with the ash. Oh and the conditioner it came with didn't smell good to me. On a positive note, the weird green stripes looked pretty with the ginger over it - it was very multitonal. I'll give it a star for being ashy alright. Oh and I have to give it at least one. :/

on 3/11/2017 9:12:00 PM

Foam didn't foam at all. More like watery mouse, just melted into hair so very hard to tell where it had been applied. Was also so thin that I couldn't even "pile" my hair on my head. Flopped straight down splashing dye everywhere. Left my hair really crunchy with an oily texture even after triple rinsing and finally, the colour...what colour? Literally didn't change my colour. Like it didn't take at all. Was sceptical when the pack said your hair should look > < foamy. Ah well was only $20 so hopefully this greasy feel goes away and my hair will same as always:/

on 11/20/2016 1:39:00 PM

This is the best at home hair color I have tried. I love that it foams and I don't totally destroy my bathroom when I'm coloring my hair.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is the best drugstore at-home hair dye I've ever used. Prior to this I tried multiple types of Garnier and Revlon dyes (I was satisfied with Revlon Buttercream for a while until I got 2 boxes in a row that didn't take to my hair well at all.) I've never had any terrible reactions or experienced any nightmares with other brands, but the results weren't really that great either.

I'd been wanting to try a dark brown with cherry undertones hair dye for a while and decided to get the John Frieda Precision Foam Color in the shade 3VR Deep Cherry Brown.

The price was $12.99 at Ulta and I had a $3.00 coupon. I love the packaging to this. The fact that it's a foam is revolutionary and made it SO much easier to apply to my hair evenly. Usually no matter how careful I am I make somewhat of a mess on my sink/countertop whenever I'm dying my hair but not with this... it was super easy to use. The after color care conditioner that comes with this is really nice and actually comes in a small bottle instead of those awkward little packets you usually see in a boxed dye.

When I got out of the shower I was immediately impressed. My white hairs are completely covered and there is no patchiness whatsoever... pure nice, even color. When my hair is dry now, it is a dark brown with burgundy undertones that are quite apparent in the sun or underneath bright light (which is exactly what I was wanting.) Before using this dye it was a faded dark brown. If you're still searching for that perfect boxed dye, definitely give this one a try. They have a selection of 28 shades so unless you're looking for something unnatural there's probably a color for you. I'll definitely repurchase in this shade and when I want something new will try a different one from the same line.

This stuff is horrible! Yeah the color is perfect and it matches the color I get at the salon, but the applicator is crap! The liquid never fully foams up its half foam half liquid. The applicator drizzles color everywhere and the liquid just runs down your face. I have tried this twice and the mess it makes is not worth the price you pay for it!! Feria's foam applicator works way better and doesn't make a mess...and it's cheaper!! Save your money and buy Feria!!!

I usually use Loreal Feria and dye my ashy brown hair a more reddish brown hue. I decided to change it up and try John Frieda hair dye because I love John Frieda products and I wanted to go a more auburn red-brown color. I tried John Frieda Precision Foam Color in Dark Red Brown. I was worried it would be too purple, but it didn't turn out purple-y at all. I am not 100% pleased with how it turned out, however. It's much more red at the roots than at the ends. The color did not take evenly, but I really like the color it dyed my hair. The foam is so easy to apply to the hair. The conditioner it comes with is really nice as well. Overall, it's pretty good. Similar to Loreal Feria in quality.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I started coloring my hair at home--basically I'm restoring my original color (dark ashy brown) and covering 50-75pct grey.) I tried this color, a foam, and Olio (Garnier.)

While Garnier seemed to cover slightly better, the applicator was weird and difficult, and my hair felt like plastic afterwards. John Frieda foam is really easy to apply and it doesn't drip. My hair feels wonderful afterwards. I follow the directions and use the included conditioner and it works well. The second time I used it, I left it on longer and I got very good grey coverage but the color was a tad darker than I prefer. However, it seems to be the way to get coverage of the stubborn greys at the temples.

I used 6N Lightest Cool Almond Brown. This was the color recommended by the John Frieda website for the color I wanted to achieve. It provides a bit of highlighting on the grey.

The smells is quite acceptable. The only issue I have with this color, which I've repurchased, is that my favorite shade is often not in the store. So I have to order it from Amazon or Frieda's website.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

This is the best drugstore hair dye I've tried yet. I'm not understanding how it has such low reviews. My criteria for a good hair dye includes: easy to use & doesn't fade easily. I guess that sounds like I don't have high or many standards to some, but to me, those are the most important factors when coloring my hair. I don't consider if a hair dye makes my hair condition any different, because I've never had hair dye damage my hair or change the texture whatsoever. What I enjoy about this hair dye is that it doesn't drip, isn't liquid (it's a foam as the name implies), and isn't a mess or complicated to mix because they make it really simple and convenient to do with the packaging, unlike other drugstore brands I've tried. More importantly, the color lasts. I dyed my hair black with this over a brown and heavily highlighted hair, and the color still looks beautiful 3 months later. Typically I will notice significant fading on the color 2-3 weeks later, leaving me with that fun debate every time I look at myself in the mirror: "Does this look okay? Do I need a touch up now, or can I get away with this?" I don't need to have this stupid conversation with myself now because my hair color is still EVEN and well adhered to my hairs months after initial dyeing, despite me using clarifying shampoo weekly (sometimes twice a week). Overall, I'm very pleased and will definitely purchase again.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I really like this dye. It’s easy to use and the scent, while not good, isn’t overwhelming. It’s very simple to set up, the included gloves are nice, and I love the conditioner. Spills are easily cleaned up with a wet rag, whether they’re on your skin or the white bathroom counter, though I did have to bleach the tub when I let it sit long enough to stain.

I’ve used the colors 6A, 5N, and 4N. My favorite is 5N, though I also like 4N during colder months. 6A left my hair too brassy and red as it faded, but I suspect that has more to do with my natural color (medium golden brown) than the dye. None of those three have turned my hair black, which seems to be a problem some reviewers had with other colors.

As for the dye itself, sometimes I’m able to get it super foamy, but other times it just looks saturated as the foam dissipates, depending upon the length of my hair. I leave it in for 25-30 minutes and my hair is still in good shape after I rinse it out using the conditioner that comes with it. The dye faded evenly after about a month, sometimes longer, and I haven’t had any problems with consistency or patchiness.

Overall, I'm very happy with this dye. It's faster than going to the salon (certainly less expensive) and I love the color I get with 5N / Medium Natural Brown.

on 11/25/2015 10:07:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

I'm gonna be very honest and say I think a lot of hair color disasters are due to not doing your research, and if you don't, you'll get off results no matter the product. Golden tones will always pull reddish, if your hair is damaged it will absorb more color and turn out darker, the times given are estimates and you should keep an eye on your hair as it develops, etc (I'm not trying to be mean- I've made all these mistakes before!)

I used shade 3VR which is deep cherry brown on hair that was a warm medium brown, dyed from a natural black. Application took some time, but I think total it was on my hair for roughly 15 minutes, because I knew my hair was porous and would absorb color, so the given 20-30 minutes would turn my hair black. It came out to a pretty dark brown, maybe two shades up from black, with distinct burgundy tones, which is exactly what I wanted.

It is pricey, at $12, but even for my long (down to the small of my back) and thick hair, one box was enough. I wasted money on a second one, but I'd rather have too much so I don't regret it, but total this works out cheaper than me having to buy 2-3 boxes of $6 hair dye, so i don't mind the price.

I'm 20, so I can't speak for grey coverage, but it's the easiest to apply hair dye I've ever used. Spend an hour doing research before you dye! It's worth it, and you'll get good results from this product from the effort.